Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Options
  • 08-12-2009 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Well, according to Silicon Republic anyway:
    The company yesterday revealed three new speeds and price points – a 30Mbps service that will cost €42 per month, a 15Mbps service that will cost €32 per month and a 5Mbps service that will cost €22 per month.

Not on UPC's website yet, as far as I can see.

Funnily enough, we might just downgrade to save a tenner p/m - assuming they don't act like they did at the last speed increase, where reps would initially tell you that the new speeds were for new customers only.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They are upgrades from 3 10 and 20 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

The 4th of January is mentioned here
    Chorus NTL launched its 30Mbps Fibre Power broadband service, which the firm claims is the fastest consumer broadband available in Ireland. Chorus NTL said it would be rolling out three new broadband speeds -- 30Mb, 15Mb and 5Mb -- on the 4 January 2010 and the services will be delivered across the firm's upgraded network. The 30Mbps service will cost EUR42 per month if part of a TV and phone bundle, and EUR50 per month if taken as a standalone product.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Does this mean existing customers will get a free upgrade. I just got UPC is the past 2 weeks with a 10meg connection as part of a pack. So from January I will get 15meg at no extra cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Does this mean existing customers will get a free upgrade. I just got UPC is the past 2 weeks with a 10meg connection as part of a pack. So from January I will get 15meg at no extra cost?
    It's the same prices, so looks like it! Yahoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

free upgrade yes but I say it be with a 12 month contract extension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Still though, to put the dampeners on a bit, I doubt it'll be instant. Rang up excitedly last time to be promised "next week", then nothing, then "really, next week, this time", then nothing, then "we're initially only giving this new speed new customers at first while existing customers - who pay the same - will be upgraded eventually".

UPC - there's a cloud in every silver lining (TM) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

When they done the last upgrade new customers were automatic and existing customers had to fill out an online form agreeing to extend the contract for 12 Months. I did that and it took a couple of months for my speed to increase.

Just moved into an apartment and I dunno if i'll be in the same place in a year so I can't really do it. Stupid UPC!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Even if they want you to do another 12 months contract, it costs €100 to end before the contract expires. Reckon it would still be worth it for the speed offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Mikey23 wrote: »
    Still though, to put the dampeners on a bit, I doubt it'll be instant. Rang up excitedly last time to be promised "next week", then nothing, then "really, next week, this time", then nothing, then "we're initially only giving this new speed new customers at first while existing customers - who pay the same - will be upgraded eventually".

UPC - there's a cloud in every silver lining (TM) :rolleyes:

You signed a contract for one thing.
    UPC could have left you with the lower speed for your full contract.
    They didn't.
    They upgraded you, but feel free to moan, complain, gripe, and generaly b***h.
    Sure the glass is always half empty isn't it.

:rolleyes:

NothingMan wrote: »
    When they done the last upgrade new customers were automatic and existing customers had to fill out an online form agreeing to extend the contract for 12 Months. I did that and it took a couple of months for my speed to increase.

Just moved into an apartment and I dunno if i'll be in the same place in a year so I can't really do it. Stupid UPC!

Yeah!!!

Stupid UPC.
    How dare they not work their business around the fact that you personally may or may not be living in a new address in 12 months time, that may or not have their service available, because of course they'll move it for you for free if it is.
    I mean it's a disgrace.
    How dare they!!!

I think we should all get together and Boycott UPC's speed increase, on the grounds that Nothingman may or may not be moving address in a year!

Seriously lads.
    As soon as I read this this morning, I had a bet with a friend as to how many people on boards would start b******g about percieved insults before it ever happened.
    Thanks for proving me right, and meeting my admittedly low expectations!
    UPC promise a free speed increase.
    And ye complain!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    You signed a contract for one thing.
    UPC could have left you with the lower speed for your full contract.
    They didn't.
    They upgraded you, but feel free to moan, complain, gripe, and generaly b***h.
    Sure the glass is always half empty isn't it.

:rolleyes:

Yeah!!!

Stupid UPC.
    How dare they not work their business around the fact that you personally may or may not be living in a new address in 12 months time, that may or not have their service available, because of course they'll move it for you for free if it is.
    I mean it's a disgrace.
    How dare they!!!

I think we should all get together and Boycott UPC's speed increase, on the grounds that Nothingman may or may not be moving address in a year!

Seriously lads.
    As soon as I read this this morning, I had a bet with a friend as to how many people on boards would start b******g about percieved insults before it ever happened.
    Thanks for proving me right, and meeting my admittedly low expectations!
    UPC promise a free speed increase.
    And ye complain!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ah, people who moan about people moaning, ya gotta love em.

I quite like UPC in general, I was just saying it sucks when a company reward new customers and ignore their existing customers. Although UPC are less guilty than most, at least if you're willing to extend your contract, which most wouldn't mind doing.

By the by, which of you had the bet on people NOT moaning, cos that's a losing bet on here pretty much all the time. People like to moan, you included!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

NothingMan wrote: »
    Ah, people who moan about people moaning, ya gotta love em.

I quite like UPC in general, I was just saying it sucks when a company reward new customers and ignore their existing customers. Although UPC are less guilty than most, at least if you're willing to extend your contract, which most wouldn't mind doing.

By the by, which of you had the bet on people NOT moaning, cos that's a losing bet on here pretty much all the time. People like to moan, you included!

I don't see how it's not treating new customers fairly, if they offer them the exact same as new customers.
    New customers have to sign up to a new 12 month contract also afterall, so the argument could be made that if UPC didn't ask existing customers to extend their contracts, that they'd be favoring them over new customers.:p

I do like a moan as much s the next person, but I liek to wait until after the event to moan, rather than moaning about something that hasn't happened yet, and that we have no idea how it will work out.

For instance, the first time UPC increased their speeds last year (from 1/3/6 to 1/6/12) there were multiple problems, and it went on for months.
    The second time they increased their speeds (from 1/6/12 to 3/10/20) there were no issues, and it all passed fairly smoothly, with customers who'd requested the increase previously just having to reboot the modem.

Why must people naturally assume that the speed increase will go badly?
    I prefer to take a more optomistic look at things is all.

And seeing as they've promised 100 meg speeds by the end of the year (read next year) then hopefully this will just be a step.

Have to say, I have UPC 10Mb broadband for 2 months and I think it is great and getting a speed increase of 50% for no extra cost is like winning something for nothing.
    You always get people who complain about things, but don't understand when people complain about good things. If they were going to charge extra then fine complain away , but when you are going to get more for nothing extra really don;t understand. If you don't want the extra speed then tell them to leave you on your current speed and contract!

You may have 5 mbits for €29 ( if you don't take the telly package and €22 if you do)

But surely you lot can get three mobile broadband for only €20 even if the contract is 18 months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Jeez Sidhe, touchy much? In my case, I was well outside my initial contract at the time and was well keen to get 20mb rather than my 6mb. To get there, I signed up to another 12 months - fine with that - but had a drawn-out experience with their sales reps with conflicting story after story. Relax mate :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

From 3 to 6 to 10 to 15 megs. Thanks UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

30Mbps will do nicely! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

I've just moved into a house and just signed up for a 12month contract and am currently in the first month. Will they upgrade my speed if I sign up for the 12 month contract again or would I be signing another 12 months on top of my current 11 months remaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Lucifer wrote: »
    I've just moved into a house and just signed up for a 12month contract and am currently in the first month. Will they upgrade my speed if I sign up for the 12 month contract again or would I be signing another 12 months on top of my current 11 months remaining?

because you are already in a contract they will just give you the upgrade straight away.

the whole waiting around is for the people who are still with them but can cancel anytime without penalty(as in they have had it over 12 months already)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Thor wrote: »
    because you are already in a contract they will just give you the upgrade straight away.

the whole waiting around is for the people who are still with them but can cancel anytime without penalty(as in they have had it over 12 months already)

I signed up for the 20 Mbs in July...so I qualify if thats true. However, I've had the TV package with them for ages. Hope they just count the broadband. :confused:

I signed up for the 20 Mbs in July...so I qualify if thats true. However, I've had the TV package with them for ages. Hope they just count the broadband. :confused:

yeah you would have signed up for an extra 12 months when you got the broadband so you should get the upgrade straight away.

the way i see it because they are using new lines for this upgrade i think they will just upgrade everyone without the need of a new contract.

i know getting someone to sign another contract will make them more money in the end but going through that hole process will cost them money aswell.

i think this update is to just get as many new customers as possible and signing a new contract is what they are after.

some people will think that ntl will go after the extra 12 months from everyone like they did with the last 8mb jump from 12mb to 20mb but i just have a feeling that they wont request it this time or that could be me just wishing as i dont wanna wait for the update(an extra sweet 10mb would be lovely)

still cant see why they dont have it going before christmas. the whole FASTEST broadband in ireland campaign. as it stands there 20mb is just out by magnets 24mb(although magnet are barely anywhere) it still stops upc from being able to say FASTEST!!!

still fair play for them for offering three FREE upgrades in the past 2 years. can't say that about alot of companys!!!

• Advertisement

http://www.borfast.com/blog/scientific-atlanta-webstar-2203c-how-access-locked-pages

that has been posted before.

you will also have to go to this address to get to enter the info.

http://192.168.100.1/_aslvl.asp

Sponge Bob wrote: »

http://www.borfast.com/blog/scientific-atlanta-webstar-2203c-how-access-locked-pages

Whats this for?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Once the majority of the core network is upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0, do ye think rollout will begin in rural areas considering the greater distance the network will be able to cover or will be be left in the situation where some of the country will have 120Mb while rural areas will be stuck with 7.4/14Mb depending on 4g or Wimax?

UPC will not go over 40% of homes I reckon.

I can see why running fibre throughout the country would not be a profitable exercise for any private company, it's just a pity the gap in the market will be even wider considering many will be stuck on actual 2/3 Mb connections which are not suitable for streaming HD or even SD in some cases. Considering the distances sm fibre can actually cover it's a pity many that could see a huge benefit from it won't be getting. e.g me:mad: :pac:

you could always consider installing it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

How would you go about doing that.

and cost ?

• Advertisement

depends on where you live, try to keep the fibre overground as much as you can.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement