Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any recommendations for cordless electric lawnmowers? Interested in the Honda one but it sets you back

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bamayang

ctlsleh wrote: »
    It’s a manual lever.........will,try a new one, thanks for the advice! Much appreciated

I have that machine. When you are sitting on it directly below your left knee on the deck, there is a steel wire int through a little bracket and hooks onto a spring.
    Tighten that wire to tighten the belt that drives the blades. Very simple process.

Some machine, have it here about 17 years and still going strong, some engine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

bamayang wrote: »
    I have that machine. When you are sitting on it directly below your left knee on the deck, there is a steel wire int through a little bracket and hooks onto a spring.
    Tighten that wire to tighten the belt that drives the blades. Very simple process.

Fantastic, I’ll check that out, greatly appreciated......it sure is a solid machine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hi

Just looking at a lawnmower that states that it has no Mulching Facility just googling it now but does it matter for average sized back garden?

Also does wattage matter much. Had a borrowed 1800w that was ideal but one I am looking at its 1600w?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭deezell

Hi

Just looking at a lawnmower that states that it has no Mulching Facility just googling it now but does it matter for average sized back garden?

Also does wattage matter much. Had a borrowed 1800w that was ideal but one I am looking at its 1600w?

Cheers

746 watts per horsepower, but not all electric motors are equal. Lilke those cheap vacuum cleaners with 1900W emblazoned on the casing, but 'suck', because they can't. Under pressure a lot of that wattage is just heat, hence cheap mower motors burn out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

aoifski wrote: »
    I'd appreciate some advice about lawns and lawn mowers. We have about 1/4 -1/3 an acre of lawn. Top soil was put down when we moved in about 4 years ago, not the best stuff - quite stoney. We raked but did not rotovate it at the time, and then rolled and then sowed a lawn.

It's ok - the surface is a bit rough still and not flat. We have a petrol rotary at the moment and it takes quite a while to cut all this grass. And it grows like wildfire in the spring/summer.

We want to buy new rideon mower and I am all for buying a tractor mower to spin around the lawn in as little time as possible.

My husband has gotten it in his head somehow that he wants this manicured lawn, and wants to buy a petrol powered cylinder mower - the ones used for cricket and golf greens! Believe me our lawn and surface is far from this!

Questions:

To get even surface with manicured lawn would we have to rotovate and completely redo the surface/soil and resow?
    Presumably a cylinder mower (self propelled) is totally unsuitable for what we have right now?
    Any tractor mower recommendations for a nice cut which will appease my husband?!

Thanks in advance!

Change the hubby

deezell wrote: »
    746 watts per horsepower, but not all electric motors are equal. Lilke those cheap vacuum cleaners with 1900W emblazoned on the casing, but 'suck', because they can't. Under pressure a lot of that wattage is just heat, hence cheap mower motors burn out.

So are you saying don't choose 1600W??

Just going to be using it during summer for everyday home use.

Currently borrowing one and don't want petrol or battery.

So are you saying don't choose 1600W??

Just going to be using it during summer for everyday home use.

Currently borrowing one and don't want petrol or battery.

No, just make sure its a decent brand. Make sure wheels are sturdy, cheap electric mowers have plastic wheels off toys or barbeques.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

bamayang wrote: »

Hi bamayang,

This worked really well and i was able to tighten the slack on the cable and the belt, thanks a lot for the advice, it saved me a lot of hassle.

Is there a similar adjustment for the drive belt somewhere? i could probably do with having a look at that as well.
    Cheers.........
    Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bamayang

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Hi bamayang,

This worked really well and i was able to tighten the slack on the cable and the belt, thanks a lot for the advice, it saved me a lot of hassle.

Is there a similar adjustment for the drive belt somewhere? i could probably do with having a look at that as well.
    Cheers.........
    Eoin

There is but there’s a little bit more to it. To do it you’d be as well on to take off the deck. It’s actually a fairly straight forward task, it hangs from four bolts in each corner and slides it out.
    Then under the clutch/brake pedal there is a pulley that swings from left to right as you engage the clutch. Press the clutch and you will see it move over and back. There is a little mechanism on this that can be loosened/tightened to add/remove slack to the drive belt.
    You might be as well to get a new belt tho, there about €40 and you’d fit it in an hour or two and a few scraped knuckles.

• Advertisement

No, just make sure its a decent brand. Make sure wheels are sturdy, cheap electric mowers have plastic wheels off toys or barbeques.

Ok bit cheap but best I can find

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAC-ALLISTER-1600W-ROTARY-LAWNMOWER/dp/B01MQIZ6U0

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WiseOldOwl

Need help. New lawnmower delivered today. Pro lawn plus Hyundai. Not a clue abour lawnmowers , its taki g me hours to set it up. Frustration levels are high! Anyway, the engine brake cable and the drive cable won't reach to where they are supposed to attach to handle. Just slightly too short. What am I doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Blues14

I’m thinking of buying husqvarna tc142 are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dazbaz996

Hi All

I need a new ride on and am looking at the castlegarden xdc 150, specs look good for what I need, the only gripe i have is that it doesn't have the briggs engine it has an own brand, looks like the mountfield 7750. Anyone know how reliable these are ? I can't get the xdc 140 at the moment in my area, would be another 3-4 weeks before that model is in.

is the 7750 engine reliable, i know the brigg are very good, and as i said, this is the only niggle i have with this mower.

Thanks

dazbaz996 wrote: »
    Hi All

I need a new ride on and am looking at the castlegarden xdc 150, specs look good for what I need, the only gripe i have is that it doesn't have the briggs engine it has an own brand, looks like the mountfield 7750. Anyone know how reliable these are ? I can't get the xdc 140 at the moment in my area, would be another 3-4 weeks before that model is in.

is the 7750 engine reliable, i know the brigg are very good, and as i said, this is the only niggle i have with this mower.

Thanks
    It's their own engine, made by GGP group, now known as Stiga group, possibly made in Italy, or under licence in China. Makes a big difference to price for a given machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dazbaz996

It's their own engine, made by GGP group, now known as Stiga group, possibly made in Italy, or under licence in China. Makes a big difference to price for a given machine.

Are they any good though. All the new 2020 models seem to be castlegarden own brand engines, seems you wont be able to get a castlegarden in the next few years with a briggs engine. I can get the xdc 140 with a briggs, but not in stock for the next 3 weeks and its the same price as the 150 hd. Had a partner mower previously with 12.5 hp briggs, never missed a beat

dazbaz996 wrote: »
    Are they any good though. All the new 2020 models seem to be castlegarden own brand engines, seems you wont be able to get a castlegarden in the next few years with a briggs engine. I can get the xdc 140 with a briggs, but not in stock for the next 3 weeks and its the same price as the 150 hd. Had a partner mower previously with 12.5 hp briggs, never missed a beat

The company would stand over them, remember, these are not spurious badged Chinese generics made foe Lidl or Woodie's, Stiga group, or GGP, are the 4th largest garden machinery group in the world. They would not risk their rep by installing engines made of cheese. They paid a huge premium for B&S if you look at their price comparisons for dame model, different engine. Mind you, until they also do an upmarket V twin cylinder, I'll stick with B&S.
    Check out these equivalents to the XDC 140, the Stiga 3084, or the Alpina AT4 84. Compare them on Agrieuro.de. Stiga group mowers no longer available on Agrieuro UK.
    Normally listed for €2699, here's the Stiga for €1952 in Fitzhire, Cavan
    https://www.fitzhire.ie/tractors/235-stiga-3084h-estate-mower.html

Where can you buy a decent lawn mower for general home use

Everywhere sold out or not delivering

Looking for a decent electric lawnmower.

Will see if hardware places re open soon and if available then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Where can you buy a decent lawn mower for general home use

Everywhere sold out or not delivering

Looking for a decent electric lawnmower.

Will see if hardware places re open soon and if available then

Not an endorsement but I noticed Lidl had what looked like an electric lawnmower to day. Check their latest offers before traveling to get one in case my eyes deceived me?

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Not an endorsement but I noticed Lidl had what looked like an electric lawnmower to day. Check their latest offers before traveling to get one in case my eyes deceived me?

Had only battery operated ones when last offer was on or no electric ones left.

I can't find any online.. Still borrowing parents lawnmower for the time being

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

GinSoaked wrote: »

Just saw that now might try and get out at lunchtime see any left

Massive queue outside so would say all gone might hold off see how restrictions go

Anyone any reviews on this?

Massive queue outside so would say all gone might hold off see how restrictions go

Yes, it's a strimmer with wheels. Seriously, 12 inch cut? The Topline hardware stores and many other indys are open. Usually, you have to ring, order, pay and then collect. This is the range of mowers topline have.
    https://www.topline.ie/searchresults?q=Electric%20lawnmower

Yes, it's a strimmer with wheels. Seriously, 12 inch cut? The Topline hardware stores and many other indys are open. Usually, you have to ring, order, pay and then collect. This is the range of mowers topline have.
    https://www.topline.ie/searchresults?q=Electric%20lawnmower

Yeah doesn't look that great

I like the bosch range, bit more expensive but good reviews.

Obviously not an essential supply so can't find anyone online who ships them. Waiting to see how things go if restrictions eased and can be ordered and delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

They were sold out by around 9.30am

I'd have bought one just to do edges and the like where my main machine can't reach...the 12inch width would have been handy, but I'm going to go for a Bosch Rotak 34R now if I can get one delivered. It's the smallest decent electric mower than can mulch.

exaisle wrote: »
    They were sold out by around 9.30am

I'd have bought one just to do edges and the like where my main machine can't reach...the 12inch width would have been handy, but I'm going to go for a Bosch Rotak 34R now if I can get one delivered. It's the smallest decent electric mower than can mulch.

Bosch is the one I was looking at but nowhere online selling them

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Blues14

Hey just bought a husqvarna cth126 seems decent enough the guy I bought it off told me it’s bad for mower to use a mulcher plug just wondering if anyone does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Bosch is the one I was looking at but nowhere online selling them

Amazon?

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Amazon?

Few I looked at either expensive or no delivery for Ireland previously. I know I can use parcel motel if needed. Also was looking for a 1700w model

Going to wait see what happens over the coming weeks see if it becomes possible to purchase in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Few I looked at either expensive or no delivery for Ireland previously. I know I can use parcel motel if needed. Also was looking for a 1700w model

Going to wait see what happens over the coming weeks see if it becomes possible to purchase in Ireland

What about stihl? The two donegan.ie have can both mulch.

Advertisement