Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭deezell

RonanC wrote: »
    Thanks- just want to check what you mean by turning over?
    He meant operating the electric start. Give it a good lash without the Spark plug to clear out any oil/ petrol that may have flowed into the chamber. Clean the tip of the plug of any oil. Then replace and try starting .
    Another thing, check oil level. It's possible with some engines when tipped over for petrol to flow via the carb into the cylinder and past the piston into the sump, flooding and diluting the engine oil, so if the level is strangely high, drain and refill.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

deezell wrote: »
    He meant operating the electric start. Give it a good lash without the Spark plug to clear out any oil/ petrol that may have flowed into the chamber. Clean the tip of the plug of any oil. Then replace and try starting .
    Another thing, check oil level. It's possible with some engines when tipped over for petrol to flow via the carb into the cylinder and past the piston into the sump, flooding and diluting the engine oil, so if the level is strangely high, drain and refill.

Thanks for this - the engine starts for a few seconds, billows white smoke and cuts out. There's oil being spit out too. Should I drain the oil and start again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Thanks for this - the engine starts for a few seconds, billows white smoke and cuts out. There's oil being spit out too. Should I drain the oil and start again?

I'd check the oil level and just keep running it for a bit till the smoke dies away then check oil again and clean plug.

I purchased a petrol Lidl Lawnmower recently and regretting it now. The wheel snapped off on the 3rd use, held on by plastic which cant be repaired. The lawnmower itself wasn't great either and struggled with medium length grass (I have a tiny garden).

The worst part is actually trying to bring the thing back.

Rang the Lidl helpline and they advised to bring to my nearest store which I did. (I purchased from a store a further 4km away but due to Covid19 didn't want to go that far)
    • Nearest store said a replacement lawnmower would take weeks, possibly months.
    • In order to process a refund they had to go through the CCTV footage to see that I actually purchased it even though I had the receipt?. According to Lidl they go through CCTV for all purchases over €100. They then said I might have to wait an hour in the store for them to do this.
    • Decided to drive to the other further store to avoid waiting and they then refused to take the lawnmower back as there was still petrol in it. At no point was it mentioned that I needed to drain the lawnmower first (I'm not a lawnmower expert nor was I sure how to drain it apart from turning it on it's side which they said not to do)

Such a palava, never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Can anyone point me to an Irish supplier of petrol lawn mower spare parts that will post/ship?

I need a recoil starter (rip cord) for a Ryobi. I can get the component from a UK supplier but I’d prefer to support Irish businesses given the current situation, if at all possible.

EDIT: Or better still, maybe someone has come up with a way of getting the spring back in to its housing and getting the spool back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my walk behind self drive doesn't have much pull of late...when i lift it the rear wheels spin, but put it down and it doesn't move :confused: do i have to adjust something?

fryup wrote: »
    my walk behind self drive doesn't have much pull of late...when i lift it the rear wheels spin, but put it down and it doesn't move :confused: do i have to adjust something?

Either; the clutch cable needs to be tightened, like a bicycle brake cable.This can be at either end of the cable, or even in the centre on some brands
    Or; the clutch mechanism is worn, often from excessive slipping, and is beyond adjustment. This is not a cheap fix, as usually the entire gear/clutch box and wheel drive shaft are all one unit, between €90-190. Easy enough DIY job.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Can anyone point me to an Irish supplier of petrol lawn mower spare parts that will post/ship?

I need a recoil starter (rip cord) for a Ryobi. I can get the component from a UK supplier but I’d prefer to support Irish businesses given the current situation, if at all possible.

EDIT: Or better still, maybe someone has come up with a way of getting the spring back in to its housing and getting the spool back in.

Possibly doing mail order.
    http://www.johnmckenna.eu/
    Option B possible, I've done it, but life's too short!

Wouldn't do any harm. If the oil is contaminated with petrol, it's not great for the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

After looking up everything I could find, I am getting a used lawnmower tomorrow (hopefully) - The GARDENCARE LMX51SP.
    Is there any particular brand of rust primer to get, and anywhere in Dublin I may be able to get it during the lockdown?

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    After looking up everything I could find, I am getting a used lawnmower tomorrow (hopefully) - The GARDENCARE LMX51SP.
    Is there any particular brand of rust primer to get, and anywhere in Dublin I may be able to get it during the lockdown?
    The Range, Clonshaugh, Liffey Valley or Maynooth. Paint absolutely flying out of there the other day. Also the Glanbia farm shops if you're on the Meath or Kildare side of things, and can drive without being intercepted. They also do online. Some small indy harware shops are open if you have local knowledge, such as Richards Hardware on the Dublin road in Celbridge. Online shops seem overwhelmed, and have stopped taking orders.
    Trufloe, Hamerrite, Rustoleum, any generic red oxide will do. Lenehans have little tin of 151 brand red oxide for €3, click and collect in their Rathnew store only if the online checkout is reopened, and if you could get away with driving that far, which I doubt. Covid is a real pita, though that's not a symptom I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Are electric battery powered lawnmowers any good?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Are electric battery powered lawnmowers any good?
    Get the most powerful model/battery for your grass area and type ( fine lawn, or coarse amenity type grass). You don't want to be charging a battery 3 or 4 times per cut. Price a second battery. This could be a significant price of the mower. Do this and they're fine, under estimate and you'll pull your hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I have a 20 year old Castlegarden 13HP/102, ive serviced it every year, changed the oil and cleaned/replaced the plug and still runs really well. ive noticed that the blades start to slow down as it hits any longer grass or moss, to the point where it sounds like they almost stop.
    is there a way to tighten the blade drive belt which seems really loose?
    Also, anyone know where all the start sensors are, i get occasional start issues even when running. i know about the one under the seat, not sure how many others there are and where they might be located.

Appreciate any feedback on both as it doesn't justify being replaced as its still a really solid mower for what i need.
    cheers.

The Range, Clonshaugh, Liffey Valley or Maynooth. Paint absolutely flying out of there the other day. Also the Glanbia farm shops if you're on the Meath or Kildare side of things, and can drive without being intercepted. They also do online. Some small indy harware shops are open if you have local knowledge, such as Richards Hardware on the Dublin road in Celbridge. Online shops seem overwhelmed, and have stopped taking orders.
    Trufloe, Hamerrite, Rustoleum, any generic red oxide will do. Lenehans have little tin of 151 brand red oxide for €3, click and collect in their Rathnew store only if the online checkout is reopened, and if you could get away with driving that far, which I doubt. Covid is a real pita, though that's not a symptom I believe.
    Thanks, loads of info there, I will try Glanbia online. Not sure i can drive to any of them. Thanks again.

Woodies have limited their deliveries, and I don't think are open. I am after seeing this lawnmower now, Is this decent? Hyundai?
    I have seen Japanese engines mentioned a few time, but no idea if there is a particular one to look out for, I can't even find the model name

https://www.woodies.ie/easter-deals/pro-lawn-53cm-self-propelled-electric-start-hyundai-lawnmower-1168768

This looks to be the same, but is branded as Herkules
    https://www.cheapmowers.com/acatalog/Herkules-LMG53SHL-C-Lawnmower-52cm-Cut-Self-Propelled-HKLMG53SHL_C.html

Even cheaper here forgot to take Vat into account - https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products/herkules-lmg53shl-c-petrol-self-propelled-four-wheeled-lawn-mower-21-cut/#

But no idea if it is the same one, or even worth getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭blackbox

Either; the clutch cable needs to be tightened, like a bicycle brake cable.This can be at either end of the cable, or even in the centre on some brands
    Or; the clutch mechanism is worn, often from excessive slipping, and is beyond adjustment. This is not a cheap fix, as usually the entire gear/clutch box and wheel drive shaft are all one unit, between €90-190. Easy enough DIY job.

It could also be a slipping belt.

ctlsleh wrote: »
    I have a 20 year old Castlegarden 13HP/102, ive serviced it every year, changed the oil and cleaned/replaced the plug and still runs really well. ive noticed that the blades start to slow down as it hits any longer grass or moss, to the point where it sounds like they almost stop.
    is there a way to tighten the blade drive belt which seems really loose?
    Also, anyone know where all the start sensors are, i get occasional start issues even when running. i know about the one under the seat, not sure how many others there are and where they might be located.

Appreciate any feedback on both as it doesn't justify being replaced as its still a really solid mower for what i need.
    cheers.

How is the blade belt activated? Electric, vacuum or manual lever?

If its the vacuum then at that age it might want a new diaphram?

The belt does seem ridiculously loose on those and even when working correctly it still seems loose.

At that age replace the belt before you do anything else. While doing so check how deeply the belt sits in the pulleys sometimes some of them wear making the belt slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭porker36

can anyone recommend a ride on mower for about an acre of grass but has brushes to gather up the grass?

porker36 wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a ride on mower for about an acre of grass but has brushes to gather up the grass?

Westwood would be the well know company for having that feature. They are back after disappearing for a few years think this is a new company using the old designs https://www.westwoodtractors.com/

Edit> Looks like they are owned by Ariens now they were taken over years back by Contac iirc?

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Westwood would be the well know company for having that feature. They are back after disappearing for a few years think this is a new company using the old designs https://www.westwoodtractors.com/

Edit> Looks like they are owned by Ariens now they were taken over years back by Contac iirc?

cheers for that, ill check them out

• Advertisement

porker36 wrote: »
    cheers for that, ill check them out

I've just looked myself and they seem to only be making up market machines for even larger areas, prices of even the smallest might be a bit shocking.

Was looking at one in a dealers in the UK just before Christmas and they are well made.

I've just looked myself and they seem to only be making up market machines for even larger areas, prices of even the smallest might be a bit shocking.

Was looking at one in a dealers in the UK just before Christmas and they are well made.

I have a hayter at the minute , its about 15 years old now but was a good machine, I don't think they are doing the brush ones anymore

Is a steel deck better than a polymer or synthetic deck? (I think it is Polymer)

This lawnmower doesn't seem to mention which type of deck it is. If it is not steel, what are the issues it would likely face?
    https://www.woodies.ie/easter-deals/pro-lawn-53cm-self-propelled-electric-start-hyundai-lawnmower-1168768

This site suggest it could be a better option, but this site suggests that plastic is a lot more varied than that, so could be anything from very poor, to very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Is a steel deck better than a polymer or synthetic deck? (I think it is Polymer)

This lawnmower doesn't seem to mention which type of deck it is. If it is not steel, what are the issues it would likely face?

This site suggest it could be a better option, but this site suggests that plastic is a lot more varied than that, so could be anything from very poor, to very good.

Polymer is the best deck, them aluminium and steel last. Steel decks just fall apart with rust

Slava Ukrainii

Polymer is the best deck, them aluminium and steel last. Steel decks just fall apart with rust
    Thanks, seems to be gone now anyway. Woodies no longer offering deliveries.

Thanks, seems to be gone now anyway. Woodies no longer offering deliveries.

Fairly sure the Woodies one was a steel deck with plastic trim?

Fairly sure the Woodies one was a steel deck with plastic trim?
    No idea, I couldn't find it anywhere else other than the woodies website. Hyundai 53cm 173cc was all it said.

Reverse image search brought me to the Herkules line, and where it said polymer.
    https://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/herkules-lmg53shl-c-petrol-self-propelled-4-in-1-lawn-mower.html#product_tabs_additional_tabbed
    But it says steel deck on this flyer (last item), so you are probably right.
    https://www.gardenmachinery.ie/media/wysiwyg/IFGM_Spring_Summer_Specials_2017.pdf

Thanks, loads of info there, I will try Glanbia online. Not sure i can drive to any of them. Thanks again.

Woodies have limited their deliveries, and I don't think are open. I am after seeing this lawnmower now, Is this decent? Hyundai?
    I have seen Japanese engines mentioned a few time, but no idea if there is a particular one to look out for, I can't even find the model name

This looks to be the same, but is branded as Herkules
    https://www.cheapmowers.com/acatalog/Herkules-LMG53SHL-C-Lawnmower-52cm-Cut-Self-Propelled-HKLMG53SHL_C.html

Even cheaper here forgot to take Vat into account - https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products/herkules-lmg53shl-c-petrol-self-propelled-four-wheeled-lawn-mower-21-cut/#

But no idea if it is the same one, or even worth getting.
    All variations of Hyundai mowers. Chadwicks done a decent version of this with electric start, they still have some of the smaller cut ones in stock last time I was there last year. Decent enough build.
    As for polymer/plastic decks, your reviewer was right. Like the little girl with the curl, when they are good, they are very very good, (like this HUSQVARNA LC 253S, https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/lawn-mowers/lc-253s/967069301/),
    but when they are bad, they are horrid (cheap plastic deck push mower seen in The Range, same quality as a child's toy , https://www.therange.co.uk/garden/garden-machinery-and-power-tools/lawn-mowers/petrol-lawn-mowers/hand-push-petrol-mower/)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

How is the blade belt activated? Electric, vacuum or manual lever?

If its the vacuum then at that age it might want a new diaphram?

The belt does seem ridiculously loose on those and even when working correctly it still seems loose.

At that age replace the belt before you do anything else. While doing so check how deeply the belt sits in the pulleys sometimes some of them wear making the belt slack.

It’s a manual lever.........will,try a new one, thanks for the advice! Much appreciated

• Advertisement

All variations of Hyundai mowers. Chadwicks done a decent version of this with electric start, they still have some of the smaller cut ones in stock last time I was there last year. Decent enough build.
    As for polymer/plastic decks, your reviewer was right. Like the little girl with the curl, when they are good, they are very very good, (like this HUSQVARNA LC 253S, https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/lawn-mowers/lc-253s/967069301/),
    but when they are bad, they are horrid (cheap plastic deck push mower seen in The Range, same quality as a child's toy , https://www.therange.co.uk/garden/garden-machinery-and-power-tools/lawn-mowers/petrol-lawn-mowers/hand-push-petrol-mower/)

Thanks, looking at them now, the one in the range even looks cheap plasticky..
    Husqvarna look the business, way above my budget though.. - I know you were pointing out the Polymer, and thanks :)

Advertisement