Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2009 Boards.ie Draft (Discussion and Reaction)

Options
  • 01-04-2009 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

Ok, so the draft is 2 weeks away! Last year we had great success with MNG's draft. Me and Shawn have thrown the idea of me hosting this years draft. Shawn contacted MNG to see if he minded me taking it over and he hasn't replied, so unless he has a problem with me taking over his baby, I'm gonna start the draft by the weekend.

Rules are pretty much the same as last year. I think I may impose some restrictions on draft picks. More info to be added later. For now this thread is only for people to say if they are interested or not. I'm gonna say we limit this to 20 people like last year, however I may extend it to 25 if there is demand. Also, I'm going to hold a place for last years champion RRC, so thats 18 places left!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Due to my switch in position, i can no longer offer my managerial services to anyone. (Sorry RRC and Minto, you're both on your own this year)

Have fun and enjoy! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

im in again.

will try my best not to completley screw up an easy card to book this time, i mean how the hell did i get both Hogan and Cena and yet not book a 1v1 between the two!

maybe a link to the original draft thread in this one so that people can see how it works and cos that thread is a great read.

(wb Minto)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I would link the old rules, but tbh I haven't read them since last year, so I wanna have a look at them and possibly revise them before I post them and tbh, it's too damn late to do it now, ha ha!

And Shaun, just cos you advised me doesn't mean I listened to you! Although in hind sight I prob should have!

EDIT: Shaun, are you in or are you out?

Minto wrote: »
    And Shawn, just cos you advised me doesn't mean I listened to you! Although in hind sight I prob should have!

Exactly, and the one person who did listen to me won the f*cking thing!
    Who's laughing now? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Minto, I was PMing MNG about this as well about 2 weeks ago and he pretty much gave the go ahead as long as he got some help and seeing as you started this that would make three of us able to run it (assuming you wanted some help). Regarding the rules I think we should open it up to WCW and TNA to vary it a little and expand the numbers to spread it out better. Also, I would have recommended a rule that anyone who competed last year can only pick one of their picks from last year. Definitely in BTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

count me in... NOT too sure how its gonna work... but im interested.

Your call Minto, Bub's stip also make it interesting.
    Another idea though is that last years winner should be exempt from the stipulation, and then this years winner be exempt from next years one, and so on and so forth.

Edit: I'm out man, I'm not really good at these sort of things. I have more fun reading em. :D

I know this might seem bad and kinda cliquey (99% sure that aint a word :D) but last year we had so many long pauses waiting for people to post their draft pick that maybe before everyone declares their interest we should consider limiting the numbers in some way or asking people to guarantee they will be on x amount of times a week before saying they will participate.

maybe not these suggestions but maybe a talk beforehand as last time we made up the rules a bit as we went on with regards to many things i.e time limits for picks, or who was eligable for tag team picks or even who you had to pick i.e atleast 1 female wrestler and atleast 1 tag-team.

Pick elimination after a 24 hour period? It may seem steep, but hey, don't sign up if you don't think you can commit. It takes 30 seconds to log in and type your pick after all.

Personally, I'd do away with the one woman rule and the 2 tag limit because it limits the potential of a division and the one woman rule essentially wastes a pick for everyone. Maybe you can only pick 2 tag teams up to round 5 and after that you can take 1 maybe 2 more. As for time, the rule we used in the football draft was very very smooth. 12 hours per pick, you miss your pick you post one at the nearest possible convienience. I'd also recommend doing two draws at once so people can plan their card better.

• Advertisement

We should have a rule too that Lance Storm is reserved for Orestes but only on the provision that he picks him shockingly early in the draft and as a singles competitor and not part of a tag team.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Personally, I'd do away with the one woman rule and the 2 tag limit because it limits the potential of a division and the one woman rule essentially wastes a pick for everyone. Maybe you can only pick 2 tag teams up to round 5 and after that you can take 1 maybe 2 more. As for time, the rule we used in the football draft was very very smooth. 12 hours per pick, you miss your pick you post one at the nearest possible convienience. I'd also recommend doing two draws at once so people can plan their card better.

Also, I'd give first say on this to MNG. No disrespect to Minto at all and I know he PMed him but MNG showed a strong interest in bringing this back and it was his baby. I would publish the PMs but that's bad form

id agree with all of this and def think that we should have this rule discussion now whilst people are still saying if they are in or not and before the thing actually gets going so that a new thread like last time can be started for only picks which in the OP can have the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

How this work exactly? I'll put my name down in any case

Edit:// I will put my name out... like shawn i wouldn't be very good at this!

well here is last years thread for anyone interested

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055322368

• Registered Users Posts: 36,085 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ah sure, i'll give it a go.

am usually on boards at least once a day, at the very least to check updates. so i should be able to keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

We should have a rule too that Lance Storm is reserved for Orestes but only on the provision that he picks him shockingly early in the draft and as a singles competitor and not part of a tag team.

Oh sure, wait till I step down as mod to have a crack you bastid :p

I'm in either way. I do believe that 24 hours is too short a time span to make a pick though, I think 48 hours is more reasonable. I lknow it sounds like a long time, but not everyone has the chance to log in here every single day.

orestes wrote: »

I'm in either way. I do believe that 24 hours is too short a time span to make a pick though, I think 48 hours is more reasonable. I lknow it sounds like a long time, but not everyone has the chance to log in here every single day.
    A shorter rolling time limit is definitely better than a longer one. The football draft only had a 12 hour one but you didn't get bumped to the end if you missed and it ran very smoothly
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055403623

orestes wrote: »
    Oh sure, wait till I step down as mod to have a crack you bastid :p

well i had a feeling someone would make the Lance Storm joke although if im honest I thought that it would be you with a pre-emptive strike like me saying how i sucked ass and didnt book Cena vs Hogan last time instead i threw Yokozuna into the mix for some god awful reason ill think of later.

I do however agree with Bubs that a shorter time limit is better considering all the waiting we had to do last time especially on weekends and that if you miss your go you can post your pick at the next possible opportunity, maybe we could have a 24 hour gap at the end of each draft round incase people need to catch up i dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Count me in again. It was fun last year. I just hope everyone this time actually goes to effort to submit their feuds at the end. Some were appalling last time, and these people even admitted this before submitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

I'm in. It really got the board buzzin last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Just to give people a quick update! The sh*t has hit the fan so to speak, so until myself or Shaun hear from MNG, we can't officially start. You can keep entering up til 20.

Just to make the point again, if MNG wants it back, it's his and I'll be out! Hopefully we can have this cleared up by tonight.

Just to clear this up, and i know some of you may have saw what happened late last night, earlier this morning. There was a lot of grief over this, a lot that really shouldn't have been there. For the sake of the board's sanity, i scrubbed some of the postings from here and took it to PM for those involved.

It turned ugly, which isn't the point of this thread at all, the whole idea was for people to have fun with it. But if it's gonna be made awkward then there is little point in this at all. Now thankfully some of those who I PM'd answered back quickly (and i thank you for it), but i'm still waiting to hear back from the rest.

So the sooner we get this show on the road the better, but I need to stress that I don't want political or cliquey BS creeping in here. This is supposed to be done for fun only. Cos that's why most of us are here in the first place for, if i recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

It looks quite complicated in the way of what if i was putting in my submission say, The Rock, and at the exact same time somebody else is putting their first up as The Rock too?

How does this get policed? (i couldnt think of a better word then policed):o

Guys, please stop PMing me asking me what happened about what happened overnight. It's really not up for discussion until it all gets resolved.

Cheers, appreciated. :)
    SR

It looks quite complicated in the way of what if i was putting in my submission say, The Rock, and at the exact same time somebody else is putting their first up as The Rock too?

How does this get policed? (i couldnt think of a better word then policed):o

There's an order and a time slot. The chances of that happening are extremely slim anyway

There's an order and a time slot. The chances of that happening are extremely slim anyway

Exactly, although you will get many "Damn you xxx, that was my pick" posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would have liked to be involved in the running of this to be honest and as I have just said via PM to Shawn I don't recall getting any messages from him about the idea of reviving the draft. Myself and Bubs were in discussions over it by PM about starting it up with summer approaching.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'm in, for now anyway. Is it just going to be WWE guys again? Just a suggestion, but maybe current and former TNA wrestlers could work? There might be a lack of knowledge for some people there though, but there'd be enough wrestlers to choose from. It could be mixed in with something like ex-ECW or WCW wrestlers too if it weren't enough

I at least think that the pool of wrestlers should be changed in some way from the last time. Opening it up to TNA wrestlers too might work

And Shawn, good luck with the amount of editing that you'll have to do if you want to keep up with all the rosters :pac:

Fozzy wrote: »
    I'm in, for now anyway. Is it just going to be WWE guys again? Just a suggestion, but maybe current and former TNA wrestlers could work? There might be a lack of knowledge for some people there though, but there'd be enough wrestlers to choose from. It could be mixed in with something like ex-ECW or WCW wrestlers too if it weren't enough

I at least think that the pool of wrestlers should be changed in some way from the last time. Opening it up to TNA wrestlers too might work

I agree. I think introducing a backwards time limit would help so that everyone would know who was picked, say 75 or 80s to now and then opening up the other mainstream companies (WCW and TNA. ECW has such a high spread it's kind of pointless) so you get less controversy over tryout guys and Sting can get picked

• Advertisement

I agree. I think introducing a backwards time limit would help so that everyone would know who was picked, say 75 or 80s to now and then opening up the other mainstream companies (WCW and TNA. ECW has such a high spread it's kind of pointless) so you get less controversy over tryout guys and Sting can get picked

ive always wanted to see Sting vs The Undertaker, wouldent mind booking that if the chance arose

Advertisement