Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTT/SAT Combo Boxes List 2009

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Good post. I'm going to Sticky this thread for the time being, as it should prove useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

The Dreambox DM800 is not a combo box.. it has only one tuner which can be a sat, terrestrial or cable variant.. but only one at a time.

For the listing of a combo box, you should have listed the DM8000 as opposed to the DM800. The DM8000 has two DVB-S2 sat tuners and slots for two more.. allowing for a sat/terestrial combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

What is the cheapest one of these boxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Thanks Cormac, Well spotted (you can spot a Dreambox owner straight away:). Edited.

Cheapest - Mvision HD200, DarkBox Combo and Metabox HD CXCI - all atround the €200 mark delivered. Alsat were doing a deal on the Darkbox Combo before Christmas for £160 (with Metalgear Motor included).

If you do not want PVR facilities then check out the thread below. A cheap Siemens Combo. €110

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055471850

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is also Reelbox Avantgarde from Reel Multimedia. About €1500. Up to six tuners I think.
    http://www.reel-multimedia.com/en/produkte.html

I had the dual/Quad tuner Reelbox Lite for a while and found the software very poor, though amazing HW. It was about €500 trade in Volume, €750 retail. I only ever tried single tuner modules in its two slots, rather than dual tuner per slot. It did do DTT & Sat with PVR.

I had an early Lygnbox HD PVR on test. Only one each Sat & DTT tuner, but a module slot/hole for a second tuner unit (not sure if 2nd module is DTT or SAT or Combo of both).
    Not bad sw for an early beta. Much better than Reelbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Good thread, worth putting approximate prices beside the units to give people an idea of the actual sort of costs involved.

It is also worth noting that the Darbox, Golbalteq and Metabox are all clones albeit with different displays and the fact that nobody has the PVR working on the Globalteq yet.

Also the ClarkeTech is a clone of the Technomate but with a nicer display on the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

Great Sticky. I'll be investing in one of these boxes fairly soon so it is nice to have a list of MPEG-4 DVB-T/DVB-S compatible receivers. I will try to make a mini-database of additional data on some of the receivers over the next few weeks, if I get time.

In the mean time it may be workt noting that the Opticum GLOBO HDS1 TS Combo receiver is being advertised as DVB-T2 compatible on the following web-site;

http://www.satshop.tv/en/Digital-Receivers/Opticum-Globo/GLOBO-HDS1-TS-Combo::1032.html

So, this is either a global first :eek: or a serious typo:p!

I'm betting it's a typo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

taung wrote: »
    Great Sticky. I'll be investing in one of these boxes fairly soon so it is nice to have a list of MPEG-4 DVB-T/DVB-S compatible receivers. I will try to make a mini-database of additional data on some of the receivers over the next few weeks, if I get time.

In the mean time it may be workt noting that the Opticum GLOBO HDS1 TS Combo receiver is being advertised as DVB-T2 compatible on the following web-site;

http://www.satshop.tv/en/Digital-Receivers/Opticum-Globo/GLOBO-HDS1-TS-Combo::1032.html

So, this is either a global first :eek: or a serious typo:p!

I'm betting it's a typo!

Looks very much like another Metabox/Darkbox/GoSat clone

slegs wrote: »
    Looks very much like another Metabox/Darkbox/GoSat clone

I don't think so, unlike those it has USB PVR, two card slots and if the listing is right it also has an ethernet connection (picture doesn't show that though)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the500club

cormacl wrote: »
    The Dreambox DM800 is not a combo box.. it has only one tuner which can be a sat, terrestrial or cable variant.. but only one at a time.

For the listing of a combo box, you should have listed the DM8000 as opposed to the DM800. The DM8000 has two DVB-S2 sat tuners and slots for two more.. allowing for a sat/terestrial combination.

I looked at the DM8000 but it doesn't say it supports Mpeg4 decoding only Mpeg2, so will it work off the 3rock?

• Advertisement

the500club wrote: »
    I looked at the DM8000 but it doesn't say it supports Mpeg4 decoding only Mpeg2, so will it work off the 3rock?

It will.. they mention H.264 in the specs. The mpeg4 video standard for HD DVB is using H.264 encoding. as opposed to MPEG2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Which are capable of being reprogrammed to use the freesat 7-day EPG?

mullingar wrote: »
    Which are capable of being reprogrammed to use the freesat 7-day EPG?

Dreambox for sure.. the Gemini and presumably many of the other recent variant software images have integrated support for decoding the Freesat EPG. Works like a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Has anybody got a combo box working with freesat and irish DTT in tadem i.e. using the same EPG, or is it possible at this stage. A system similar Sky+ is obviously what I would like to achieve.. Is this realistic and if so recommendations for a combo box appreciated. (ease of use would be main criteria)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Are all these combos DVB-S2 capable and DVD-T2 as well could someone enlighten us as would like to be future proof for a few years!!.

John Dough wrote: »
    Are all these combos DVB-S2 capable and DVD-T2 as well could someone enlighten us.

No any that I've seen to date but I guess the likes of the more advanced Linux boxes like the high Dreamboxes are based around modular cards for the tuners so it would be an easy enough upgrade in th future.

Most of the combo boxes listed do both DVB-S and DVB-S2 on the sat side.

None of the boxes listed do DVB-T2. However that shouldnt be an issue as there are no plans to use DVB-T2 in Ireland. The standard is set for DVB-T and its use in Ireland.

Britain is planning to use dvb-t2 in the future for HD terrestrial services. That does not affect us here in Ireland.

Best I've seen in a while anyway (its due out end of next month) - €400-€450

qboxhd.png

Qbox_Back.png

System and Chipsets:

• Chipset STi7101 (ST40 with SH4 Core) at 266Mhz
    • 8MByte of NOR ROM for secure bootloader storage
    • 128 MB of system RAM.
    • FPGA Chipset at 100 Mhz as co-processor with soft 32-bit MCU16MB D-RAM

Video Decoding Resolution:

• H.264 (MPEG-4 part 10) and MPEG-2.
    • HD display multi format capable (1080I, 720P, 480P/576P, 480I/576I)

Audio Output:

• WMA-9, WMA-9 Pro, MPEG-1 layer I/II, MPEG-2 layer II, MPEG-2 AAC, MPEG-4 AAC LC 2-channel/5.1 channel MPEG-4 AAC+SBR 2-channel/5.1 channel, Dolby® Digital EX, Pro Logic® II, MLP™ and DTS®.

(Potential Audio output. Not all formats are implemented at present)

Operating System:

• Linux Operating System kernel release 2.6.23.16 (or further)
    • DVB-API version 3 and version 5 (DVB-S2)

Input and Output:

3 x Tuner Input (DVB-T and DVB-S2 included)
    2 x USB 2.0 input (one in the front one in the back)
    2 x ISO 7816 Smartcard Readers
    2 x Common Interface Slots
    1 x RS-232 Interface
    1 x 2,2 inches TFT Display 16364 colors
    2 x Scart (RGB, FBAS or S-Video)
    1 x RGB Connector (3 RCA - Red Green Blue)
    1 x Component (3 RCA - 1 x Video 2 x Audio R/L)
    1 x HDMI Output.
    1 x S/PDIF Interface for digital bit stream out (AC-3)
    1 x LAN (Ethernet) connection at 10/100Mbit
    1 x Wi-Fi (WLAN connection) is embedding 802.11N technology (optional)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=TvvYNPji_sA

http://www.duolabs.com/qboxhd.html

Another out in last few weeks - AZBOX premium

AZBOX ELITE HD €289

AZBOX HD PREMIUM €320-€349

(diffrence between 2 is that the premium has Wireless - also play DIVX)

premium_front_s_b.jpg
    premium_rear_s_b.jpg
    * Linux as the operating system
    * PVR (recording) internal or external
    * WLAN (wireless to Internet)
    * NG RACE GoGo List (online station list update)
    * Webradio
    * Support video portals such as YouTube and other video
    * Audio & Music portals
    * RSS feeds
    * SIGMA processor SMP 8634 LF
    *SIGMA CHIP specification DTV-8634 pdf * 32 MB FLASH MEMORY
    * EEPROM 256 KB
    * SD RAM 256 MB
    Main features:
    * Smart Tuner Support
    * DVB-S2 / S, DVB-T2 / T (DVBs2 and DVB-T from the factory)
    * DVB-C2 / C, ISDB-T
    * GO GO List function (Intelligent Channel sorting)
    * MPEG4 HD and fully DVB compatible
    * 11 digit VFD display
    * 9 Front panel buttons (Power, OK, channel up, channel down, volume up, volume down, Menu, Exit, OK)
    * 7 day EPG 7 day EPG
    Personal Video Recorder:
    * Fuktion timeshift (pause and play live TV, time-recording of programs)
    * Receiver streaming (audio / video and radio)
    * Video On Demand
    Internet access: http://s554.photobucket.com/albums/jj438/sapro-azhd/
    * Wireless and RJ45 connection Wirelessly over WLAN and via RJ45 connection
    * Web interface for remote control of the receiver's
    * Update on the Internet, USB and serial port for update
    * Web browser
    * RSS newsreader
    * E-mail client (POP Only)
    Media Player :
    * Audio formats: MP3, WAV, AIFF, WMA, Ogg Vobis
    * Image: JPEG, BMP, TIFF, GIF, PNG
    * Video: MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, DivX, XviD, MKV, AVI SSF (incl support subtitles)
    * Video-Audio Aüflösung: MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Part 10 AVC/H.264 HD, [EMAIL="HP@L4.0"]HP@L4.0[/EMAIL] 1920x1080 @ 50Hz
    (MPEG-2 transport stream specification ISO/IEC13818)
    * Input: max 90 MB /sec
    * Aspect ratio: 4:3, Letterbox, 16:9, Pan & Scan

In / Out connectors
    * 2 slots for Common interface
    * 2 Smart Card Reader
    * 2 x USB 2.0 (rear and front panel)
    * HDD LAN via Samba
    * IDE hard disk can be installed internally
    * Dolby Digital Optical output
    * HDMI port
    * 2x Scart
    * YUV / YUV Component Out / Component output
    * UHF connection
    Physical properties:
    * Size: 340x220x65mm Size: 340x220x65mm
    * Working Temperature: 0 ° C ~ 60 ° C
    * Storage Temperature: -20 ° C ~ 75 ° C
    * Power: 90 VAC ~ 240 VAC power switch
    * Max 40 Watt
    * Internal security

http://www.ng-box.com/index.php?q=node/9

[QUOTE=STB;None of the boxes listed do DVB-T2. However that shouldnt be an issue as there are no plans to use DVB-T2 in Ireland. The standard is set for DVB-T and its use in Ireland.

Britain is planning to use dvb-t2 in the future for HD terrestrial services. That does not affect us here in Ireland.

Also the Irish situation could change as no package is up and running after all the promises of start up on Jan 2009 officially and providers are having second thoughts as the Mpeg 4 equipment is proving very expensive especially as they will have to provide it FOC to get peeps to sign up.;)

Not quite correct as a lot of peeps in northern counties can receive U.K. transmissions from Divis etc. and this will be increased when on full power in 2012 and have a wider footprint.

Also the Irish situation could change as no package is up and running after all the promises of start up on Jan 2009 officially and providers are having second thoughts as the Mpeg 4 equipment is proving very expensive especially as they will have to provide it FOC to get peeps to sign up.;)

No, I think STB is totally correct, DVB-T2 will not affect us in the Republic who receive Irish DTT which is what this thread is about.

Also I think your facts are a little off, Irish DTT is not supposed to launch until Autumn 2009 and if you do a little digging you'll see that Irish DTT is required to be MPEG4. Please do not confuse the issue with speculation, if, on the other hand, you have proof please post links etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Jan 2009 provisional launch date was part of Boxers submission to the BCI for the multiplex licences and this date continued to appear on Boxers website until recently. The Jan 09 launch date was quickly ruled out by RTE and the Dept of Comms last Jul. Autumn 2009 is the official planned launch date with a national information campaign due to begin in March 2009.

John,

This whole Mpeg4 technology is expensive mallarkey is total rubbish, do not buy into it. Dont let anyone tell you that. Its in vast supply. France has 61 million people alone and quite similar technology.

Regardless of what Boxer do I would imgaine that dtt will go ahead in accordance with plans for digital switchover and analogue switchoff.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That Azbox looks intriguing, with a decent pricepoint. Not sure which is in the image STB posted though, as the link at bottom of page shows receivers not quite the same (see LED display). Anyway, would be worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Is there a simple tuner/converter only set top box available ?

I.E. One that will allow reception of DTT on an older TV

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Is there a simple tuner/converter only set top box available ?

I.E. One that will allow reception of DTT on an older TV

The thread is for combo boxes, but:

Sigmatek DVB-500

€99 + shipping

l_01632456.jpg

gtg60 wrote: »
    No, I think STB is totally correct, DVB-T2 will not affect us in the Republic who receive Irish DTT which is what this thread is about.

Also I think your facts are a little off, Irish DTT is not supposed to launch until Autumn 2009 and if you do a little digging you'll see that Irish DTT is required to be MPEG4. Please do not confuse the issue with speculation, if, on the other hand, you have proof please post links etc.

Irish DTT is for the WHOLE of Ireland that was 32 counties when I was last in school!!:D

DVBT2 will be available in Ulster check the Freeview facts m8.;)

Irish DTT is for the WHOLE of Ireland that was 32 counties when I was last in school!!:D
    That is correct but Irish DTT will not require DVB-T2
    DVBT2 will be available in Ulster check the Freeview facts m8.;)
    Contradicting yourself now, aren't you? Freeview will not be available to the whole of Ireland therefore no relevance to DVB-T2, check your facts m8 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

STB wrote: »
    Another out in last few weeks - AZBOX premium

AZBOX ELITE HD €289

AZBOX HD PREMIUM €320-€349

(diffrence between 2 is that the premium has Wireless - also play DIVX)...

The "AZBOX HD PREMIUM" has an option of installing an internal HDD which the ELITE HD version does not, but the ELITE might allow for a USB HDD instead

http://66.102.9.132/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://ng-box.com/shop/index.php%3Ffile%3Dshop%26mode%3Ddetails%26number%3D24&usg=ALkJrhjXB_mUyK2nSNNiw2BidMxcWEtUpw

"# no installation option for internal 3.5 "or 2.5" SATA - Harddisk
    # no Wireless WiFi no WiFi Wireless "

The AZBox Elite has the exact same PVR features as the Premium but through the USB drive instead. The premium can take an internal Sata drive and can alos work with the USB. In fact it can have use both as desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I am completly confused by much of what is being talked about in these thread so i thought id ask some questions which are at my level of understanding. Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section.

1. I have sky because i cannot get a quality signal for RTE or TV3 will i get a FTV digital signal.

2. Is this going to be on the same broadcasting system.

3. Will i require an new arial on the roof. if so what type should it be.

4. What is the min equipment will i be required to buy. can i have a single box to decode both terrestrial digital and freeview satilite.

Advertisement