Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

How can the open it if the bog is still causing problems? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Wild Bill wrote: »
    How can the open it if the bog is still causing problems? :confused:

There has been no opening date confirmed. March 24th was mentioned, you could take that with a pinch of salt.

Suppose at least the lads on the site are getting a few extra months work this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,927 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's just the Nenagh - Birdhill section by the way. The section with that crosses the bog won't open until around May or June.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    That's just the Nenagh - Birdhill section by the way. The section with that crosses the bog won't open until around May or June.

Are you sure about this? No possibility for the entire stretch from Nenagh to Limerick opening on March 24th?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,927 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well this is the reply someone here got a few weeks ago:
    SARASON wrote: »
    Well folks, i emailed your man in the nra today to see what the story was. This the reply.
    Malachy,
    A 7km section of the scheme upgrading the Nenagh BP to Motorway and a new Interchange on the Nenagh-Thurles road opened on Dec 17th last. The Birdhill section is scheduled for middle of March and the entire project is expected to be completed by May/June.

Thank you
    Sent: 23 February 2010 14:04
    To: Sean O'Neill
    Subject:

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Deedsie wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? No possibility for the entire stretch from Nenagh to Limerick opening on March 24th?

I'll be suprised if I see the any bit of M7 open within the next 2 months. They will drag the ar** out of the tie in to keep them in a job for another while.

I lifted this from an earlier post.

"I emailed the same guy as Clon with the following specific question & his reply

Subject: Nenagh to Limerick

Hi John,

Could you please give me an estimate as to when this motorway will open ?

If it is to open in stages, could you please estimate which stage will open & when ?

Thanks a million John

Reply:

The Contractor has advised that the road will be open before the end of March 2010.

John O’Brien

Limerick County Council

Make of that what you will, but he doesn't mention a piecemeal opening so I doubt any opening of any section today ! In fact sounds to me like they will open the whole scheme around the end of March ! ( Just my reading of it ! )"

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

tech2 wrote: »
    I'll be suprised if I see the any bit of M7 open within the next 2 months. They will drag the ar** out of the tie in to keep them in a job for another while.
    yip. no rush.
    looks like m9 knocktopher to waterford will be the only politicians picnic (aka road opening) this month...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64806308&postcount=2142

tech2 wrote: »

Well they are taking the mick at this stage. They have basically got an extra 9 months out of it already. Does anyone know how much this stretch of road has cost taxpayers to date? Time for a letter to our TD's?

i wonder will we see any on time and within budget quotes for the n7 limerick - nenagh?

surely not... but you'd never know...

• Advertisement

Well they are taking the mick at this stage. They have basically got an extra 9 months out of it already. Does anyone know how much this stretch of road has cost taxpayers to date? Time for a letter to our TD's?

Maybe they have a target of 1 year late?

it looks though that by the june bank holiday w/end we should have nenagh to limerick + shannon tunnel open
    based on guestimates on sticky thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055681234

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Iamhere wrote: »
    One of my friends has done work on this road and he says it will open on 24th of March, how true it is i dont know...

Anyone hear an update on this, or will it just be the Nenagh to Birdhill section?

If it's not raining this weekend I'll walk both sections with camera again and report back.

I emailed my local TD on the issue. Unfortunately this is her take on things.

To <maire.hoctor@oireachtas.ie>
    cc
    Subject N7 Nenagh to Limerick

Hello Máire,
    Could you try and find out a date for the opening of the N7 motorway stretch between Nenagh and Limerick.
    We have waited long enough for this stretch to open. We have been given several estimated dates, all have come and passed.
    I would appreciate if you could find out some information as it seems like tax payers are being taken for a ride again.
    Will the entire stretch open on March 24th?

Regards,

Reply:
    Hello ,
    Thank you for your e-mail.
    I had occasion to meet informally last week with Peter Malone the CEO
    of the NRA who informed me that the opening would happen in mid April.
    That of course will be from Nenagh to Birdhill.
    I did not hear of any possibility of any opening on March 24th.
    However, I will delve further and find out for you and return to you as soon as I get the information.
    Kind regards,
    Máire

Máire F. Hoctor T.D.,
    Fianna Fáil, Tipperary North.

mid-april for nenagh - birdhill....:mad:

aaaaarrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the bothar hibernian website [ http://n7nenaghtolimerick.com/ ]
    I emailed the project office info@botharhibernian.com
    to seek clarity on the opening dates etc.

the email bounced back with a Delivery Notification Failure....

looks like there is nobody home....
    now why is that not surprising....

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

fresca ,use this e-mail address, I used this a few weeks back and got a reply the following day.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Project Liaison Officer: John O'Brien
    Phone (Office Hours): 061 633440
    Email Address: jobrien@n7n2l.ie
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Contractor: Bothair Hibernian N7 JV[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

this section seems to be progressing well..

Excellent progress made on this section over the past week. Median finished and all surfaced, looks from the photo that the final layer of tar is down, as drain appears level with surface. They do seem to be getting this section ready, lines and cats-eyes is all that's left.

Considering that almost the rest of the motorway is near finished (except for Nenagh tie-in) there shouldn't be any reason this section is delayed past April, but who knows.

Thanks for posting the photo.

lukejr wrote: »
    Excellent progress made on this section over the past week. Median finished and all surfaced, looks from the photo that the final layer of tar is down, as drain appears level with surface. They do seem to be getting this section ready, lines and cats-eyes is all that's left.

Considering that almost the rest of the motorway is near finished (except for Nenagh tie-in) there shouldn't be any reason this section is delayed past April, but who knows.

Thanks for posting the photo.

Exactly, who does know? We have had emails from project managers, workers, engineers, TD's! None of whom have a set date. Mid April for Nenagh to Birdhill is a disaster seeing as it was supposed to open by the end of this month! As referenced on the Nenagh Guardian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Exactly, who does know? We have had emails from project managers, workers, engineers, TD's! None of whom have a set date. Mid April for Nenagh to Birdhill is a disaster seeing as it was supposed to open by the end of this month! As referenced on the Nenagh Guardian.

The Birdhill-Nenagh section was originally due to open in January and then they kept moving the date up a month.
    Deedsie wrote:
    Time for a letter to our TD's?

Most certainly. I encourage every poster here to get onto their local TD's to get this project under the spotlight. There has been dire media attention of this project, RTE have barely covered it only seen it mentioned once. This has been a national disgrace for well over a year now and it is coming to the point where some media coverage is required on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,823 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Can you imagine the situation if there had been much rain the last couple of months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Thin Surface wearing course has been laid from underneath the overbridge back towards the tie of the Nenagh Bypass/M7 proper in the hard shoulder/lane 1 of both carriageways. Lane 2 for both carriageways is the current temporary alignment for traffic, so maybe tomorrow they might switch over the Temporary Traffic Management.

Now for a rumour that I heard today. Apparently one of the subcontractors was driving a low loader along the motorway to collect a machine but there was a leak in the diesel tank. This is going to result in the thin surface wearing course being planed out and relaid over the stained section. Not sure of the length involved.

Now for a rumour that I heard today. Apparently one of the subcontractors was driving a low loader along the motorway to collect a machine but there was a leak in the diesel tank. This is going to result in the thin surface wearing course being planed out and relaid over the stained section. Not sure of the length involved.

Funny you say this, I heard a very similar story last week that an oil spillage had delayed opening.

clon wrote: »
    fresca ,use this e-mail address, I used this a few weeks back and got a reply the following day.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Project Liaison Officer: John O'Brien
    Phone (Office Hours): 061 633440
    Email Address: jobrien@n7n2l.ie
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Contractor: Bothair Hibernian N7 JV[/FONT]

emailed yesterday (mar 11th)
    still awaiting reply...
    asked for:
    1. update on scheme
    2. for website to be updated

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

Lots more detail and pictures on this weeks Nenagh Guardian online addition , see front page and page 21 for all the details.They say that nenagh to Birdhill will open before the end of this month.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/NenaghGuardian/

clon wrote: »
    Lots more detail and pictures on this weeks Nenagh Guardian online addition , see front page and page 21 for all the details.They say that nenagh to Birdhill will open before the end of this month.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/NenaghGuardian/

Just an extract....
    "... there will not be any formal ceremony to open the road..."
    "... remedial work has now commenced on a larger section of the road..."

probably a good thing that there will be no official road opening ceremony, as this is an embarrassement...

Bottom line ... Five Alley to Birdhill interchange ... within the next few weeks
    Birdhill - Limerick ... around end may / start june.

is there finally some light at the end of this tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

From article above-

"Motorists opting to switch between the M7 and M8 (Dublin-Cork motorway) at a new interchange near Portlaoise at Cullahill will have to pay a toll, as will motorists using the new Limerick Tunnel, but there will be no toll plaza on any section of the M7 itself."

Have they even tried to research this?

Roryhy wrote: »

That's why I take everything said in the article with a pinch of salt, doesn't surprise me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Roryhy wrote: »
    From article above-

"Motorists opting to switch between the M7 and M8 (Dublin-Cork motorway) at a new interchange near Portlaoise at Cullahill will have to pay a toll, as will motorists using the new Limerick Tunnel, but there will be no toll plaza on any section of the M7 itself."

Clearly this is wrong as the toll plaza is on the M7 after the M8 joins it. But the sense of it is right - if you are travelling on the M7 and want to drive south on the M8 you will have to travel beyond the toll plaza to the Portlaoise interchange in order to change motorways ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

gryff wrote: »
    Clearly this is wrong as the toll plaza is on the M7 after the M8 joins it. But the sense of it is right - if you are travelling on the M7 and want to drive south on the M8 you will have to travel beyond the toll plaza to the Portlaoise interchange in order to change motorways ??
    In what sense is it right?
    I am stumped!! You cant travel on the M7 and not pass a toll booth, whether you are doing a u turn in Portlaoise or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement