Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

I'll be driving to Dublin from Limerick on Friday before it's dark and I'll update on progress on the tie-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

I emailed the same guy as Clon with the following specific question & his reply

Subject: Nenagh to Limerick

Hi John,

Could you please give me an estimate as to when this motorway will open ?

If it is to open in stages, could you please estimate which stage will open & when ?

Thanks a million John

Reply:

The Contractor has advised that the road will be open before the end of March 2010.

John O’Brien

Limerick County Council

Make of that what you will, but he doesn't mention a piecemeal opening so I doubt any opening of any section today ! In fact sounds to me like they will open the whole scheme around the end of March ! ( Just my reading of it ! )

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

It beats the hell out of me, why they just don't post a notice up on http://n7nenaghtolimerick.com/
    Poor old John must be driven demented!!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

It won't make sense to open Nenagh-Birdhill early, How is the contrator going to get all the equipment/materials from its compond at Nenagh to the bog if people are using the Motorway?

Then they wouldn't be able to conclude the works safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

ki wrote: »
    It won't make sense to open Nenagh-Birdhill early, How is the contrator going to get all the equipment/materials from its compond at Nenagh to the bog if people are using the Motorway?

Then they wouldn't be able to conclude the works safely.

What materials in the compound do you think they need for the bog?

None that particularly need to be used on the bog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Is the asphalt plant not near the end of the Nenagh bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

latest from the Nenagh Guardian this week's online addition on when the Nenagh Birdhill section is to open.Note the glaring Limerick tunnel opening date error from the local TD.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/NenaghGuardian/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

clon wrote: »
    latest from the Nenagh Guardian this week's online addition on when the Nenagh Birdhill section is to open.Note the glaring Limerick tunnel opening date error from the local TD.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/NenaghGuardian/

I will be suprised if the rest of the road opens in april. Well spotted about the tunnel opening date. It just goes to show what clowns these politicans are:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The Nenagh (J26) to Birdhill section is more or less complete, they are actually working flat out today from what I saw. The lining truck was driving frantically up and down the motorway.

DSC03106.jpg

DSC03107.jpg

J27
    birdhillinterchange.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Alright, did some of ye clearly didn't understand this post:

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I'll leave the existing posts there for the sake of anyone's curiosity but any further off-topic posts will be deleted, and further off-topicness after that may lead to... other things.

roosterman71 has received a two-week ban for continuing the discussion with the unnecessary "Jim Corr" comment.

mysterious has received a three-week ban due to him being given multiple chances and also continuing the discussion.

veryangryman and testicle, you should consider yourself lucky you're not joining them.

Any further off-topic posting will result in an instant month ban.

I thought the warning was enough. And that applies to EVERYONE who posted off-topic. Report the post and MOVE ON, we WILL deal with it, as we always do.

malcox wrote: »
    I think he wants to send a private mail to continue the arguement. I am unsubscribing from the thread. I have never seen such childsplay on a forum, why mods cant ban a few posters is beyond me:rolleyes:

You're entitled to criticize our moderation, but not in a thread. I say for the benefit of everyone out there:

You do NOT discuss moderation in a thread, that can lead to an instant ban. These are not Infrastructure-specific rules, but site ones. Use the Report Post to report an infraction or if you have an issue with our moderation, PM us or use the Help Desk forum and the Admins will make sure were doing things properly.

ALL off-topic posts have been deleted.

• Advertisement

The Nenagh bypass tie-in with the Birdhill section is progressing slowly, drove it last night, still one or two weeks work left minimum.

The bog section, the trucks drawing stone / gravel fill to the bog section are using the current N7 road, not the motorway. They access the site at the bridge just east of the Roundabout on the N7. I saw the lining trucks on the Birdhill to Limerick City section on Friday too, at last.

lukejr wrote: »
    The bog section, the trucks drawing stone / gravel fill to the bog section are using the current N7 road, not the motorway. They access the site at the bridge just east of the Roundabout on the N7. I saw the lining trucks on the Birdhill to Limerick City section on Friday too, at last.

Yeah I saw that as well theres access to the northbound carriageway just under the overbridge. They are probably doing this as the motorway will be blocked off at J27 when it opens so driving the N7 which will be a regional rd soon and will be safer for the trucks.

I will take a shot of the massive river viaduct on the scheme when the motorway opens. It can be seen from the current N7 near the R499 T junction.

I was planning to go up there friday thinkin that some of the new road was open to take lots of photos to put up here but i am confined to a bed all week and will be for a while so someone else will have to be a good contributor instead:mad::(:(

It's annoying that there is no proper official date for the scheme to open alright.

There the last photos from the overbridges from me anyway next time will be videos and photos from the mainline when open :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Maybe I missed something but this weeks Nenagh Guardian says the Nenagh-Birdhill M7 section will be open by the end of Feb.

bawn79 wrote: »
    Maybe I missed something but this weeks Nenagh Guardian says the Nenagh-Birdhill M7 section will be open by the end of Feb.

See e-mail above from the liason officer saying to disregard anything you have read or heard as it WILL not be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

bawn79 wrote: »

It's supposed to but the confusion is over the exact date as a few different ones have been floated around. Anyway not long to go now! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭luohaoran

Had a look down at the frenzy of activity that is the Bog of Doom.
    All I could see was what appeared to be a very shapely dual carriage motorway.
    The final layers were going on. To my amateur eye I'd say a couple of weeks would finish it up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

luohaoran wrote: »
    Had a look down at the frenzy of activity that is the Bog of Doom.
    All I could see was what appeared to be a very shapely dual carriage motorway.
    The final layers were going on. To my amateur eye I'd say a couple of weeks would finish it up nicely.

I cycled the full length of the motorway yesterday. 700m at Drominboy bog and about 50m at Annaholty bog are the only sections left with anything significant left to be done.

At Drominboy, the southbound carriageway is close to complete, perhaps a final wearing course still to be laid. The northbound carriageway is still some gravelly type of material (CBM?). Compared to the other side, it is missing a 12-18 inch layer of asphalt/tar.

Also required here is the central barrier. So this gap is about 500m-700m.
    Between here and Annaholty appears to be complete, although maybe it hasnt had its final layer.

At Annaholty, theres a section no more than 50m in length which appears to have had its top layer dug up. The surface is now the same gravelly stuff as at Drominboy. There are 5 or 6 large (maybe 5m?) metal beams sticking up out of the ground here, just off the road.

I dont know whats going on here, but it does appear to be at the lowest point in the road through the bog.

North of that, the road might need another top layer for the next 1 or 2km, then after that, the road appears finished. Lines are painted on the northbound carriageway, while the southbound looks ready for painting. This continues until the Birdhill interchange, and after that the road is 100% finished all the way to Nenagh.

Theres still the tie-in works at the Nenagh bypass, but I didnt get a look at those.

So Nenagh to Birdhill opening could be done imminently, while it appears that the other section could be ready quite quickly...I'm no road builder, but I'll guess it'll open in 6 weeks!

kevin7 wrote: »
    At Drominboy, the southbound carriageway is close to complete, perhaps a final wearing course still to be laid. The northbound carriageway is still some gravelly type of material (CBM?). Compared to the other side, it is missing a 12-18 inch layer of asphalt/tar.

That is some amount of work they've completed in a week, since I walked it on the 13 Feb, excellent progress.
    At Annaholty, theres a section no more than 50m in length which appears to have had its top layer dug up. The surface is now the same gravelly stuff as at Drominboy. There are 5 or 6 large (maybe 5m?) metal beams sticking up out of the ground here, just off the road.

Could this be where they had the pile-driver butting in concrete/metal posts for signs? They may have been waiting for this to be done as not to damage the road surface with the pile-driver.

Looks like this section will be opened very soon, at long last.

• Advertisement

I dont know whats going on here, but it does appear to be at the lowest point in the road through the bog.

Very strange indeed. I think this may be the section that was shown on the Nenagh guardian with part of the road has receeded. It was on the side of the road on the hard shoulder part. Was this the same which you saw kev?

Theres still the tie-in works at the Nenagh bypass, but I didnt get a look at those.

This is the bit that worries me the most. It's only 500m but hasnt been touched since the Nenagh bypass opening, the original crash barrier has yet to be taken apart. Still even this contractor should finish 500m in weeks.

The missing section may also be a sample which failed a test and was ordered to be removed by the Engineer.(at the cost of the blacktop laying company)

Somewhat Common.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

tech2 wrote: »
    Very strange indeed. I think this may be the section that was shown on the Nenagh guardian with part of the road has receeded. It was on the side of the road on the hard shoulder part. Was this the same which you saw kev?

Well I was looking out for that section, and it has either been cleanly repaired already, or this is it. However, the "repair" spans the whole carriageway, not just the hard shoulder. Berty's theory of a section ordered to be removed seems likely to me.

Well folks, i emailed your man in the nra today to see what the story was. This the reply.
    Malachy,
    A 7km section of the scheme upgrading the Nenagh BP to Motorway and a new Interchange on the Nenagh-Thurles road opened on Dec 17th last. The Birdhill section is scheduled for middle of March and the entire project is expected to be completed by May/June.
    Thank you
    Sent: 23 February 2010 14:04
    To: Sean O'Neill
    Subject:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 solidwork

I travelled the nenagh bypass on saturday and i cant get over how slow the progress is at the nenagh interchange. What is the hold up???

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

malcox wrote: »
    ...The Birdhill section is scheduled for middle of March and the entire project is expected to be completed by May/June

why is it going to take so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

fresca wrote: »
    why is it going to take so long?

Incompetence

I cant remember the amount of times they have put back the opening date. This is another one set for the middle of March, what next April? I just wont take any of this to be true until my car is driving on the M7. Incompetence of the highest order and the work on the tie in with the Nenagh bypass is comical.

Yes tech2 if the bog was the problem the nenagh birdhill should still have opened months ago. I would nearly put money that the tunnel will be open before the scheme is completed!!!!! Also i also predict major problems with the road in the future with subsidence. I do hope i am wrong but thats my gut feeling:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,902 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

tech2 wrote: »
    I will take a shot of the massive river viaduct on the scheme when the motorway opens. It can be seen from the current N7 near the R499 T junction.

Is this the fella?

Viad2-1.jpg

Sorry about the quality - phone from the N7 with a lot of cropping.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement