Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

MYOB wrote: »
    As an aside to the reception reports, has anyone noticed how long a picture can take to lock? Are RTE using an extremely long GOP or something? Sound usually comes on instantly, video can take 5 seconds to lock.
    Yeah, I've noticed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

byte wrote: »
    Yeah, I've noticed that.

Noticed this too on on my Panny G10L from Mullaghanish also.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

byte wrote: »
    Yeah, I've noticed that.
    I think it is to do with MPEG-4 conversion
    I have both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 signal into my TV, the UK MPEG-2 is quicker to change channels than Eire MPEG-4
    The MPEG-4 have better picture quality when the signal is low, no break up or blockly effect.
    e.g. Freeview from Divis, one channel is at 50% signal and 80% quality and at times break up while RTE from Cairn Hill is 47% signal and 100% quality and no breakup

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If EVERYTHING else is equal, MPEG4 will be a bit slower to lock.

But it's Tests at the minute.

When I was doing Tests of MPEG4, depending on my recipe for making the test streams, the lock time varied from only slightly slower to very slow.

The breakup versus level and quality is nothing to do with MPEG4 vs MPEG2 really.

Also level is irrelevant, only Quality counts. The FEC, interference, Symbol rate, bandwidth, QAM level, inter-symbol guard time and number of carriers all affect Quality for the same level.

The amount of compression (on MPEG2 or MPEG4) also affects the pixelation amount vs error rate (quality).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm using an Avermedia A306 with hardware MPEG4 conversion- its taking up to 2 seconds to lock now, it was instantaneous (0.2 seconds), before the recent changes. I've an A310 on its way- I spy a very interesting experiment for a wet afternoon.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

I thought the problem locking on the picture was purely a PS3 / PlayTV issue. Thankfully it turns out it is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 foxire

Souriau wrote: »
    I think it is to do with MPEG-4 conversion
    I have both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 signal into my TV, the UK MPEG-2 is quicker to change channels than Eire MPEG-4
    The MPEG-4 have better picture quality when the signal is low, no break up or blockly effect.
    e.g. Freeview from Divis, one channel is at 50% signal and 80% quality and at times break up while RTE from Cairn Hill is 47% signal and 100% quality and no breakup

Souriau

Have you a Set Top Box with both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4? I have a Set Top Box with MPEG-2 only and I can receive all the RTE Channels, TG4 and TV3 in sound only from Cairn Hill. I live in the Mid Tyrone area and I already get the analogue signal from Cairn Hill. As I already get sound for RTE from the STP would it be possible to get a good picture if I had a STB with MPEG-4?

foxire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Right, interesting things going on in Armagh, (well at least in my house anyway!)

The kitchen TV can't pick up CH53 at all (this appears to be due to some sort of in house interference). In the living room and in the bedrooms though CH53 is a poor signal but my cheap as chips MPEG2 receiver can pickup all services from it no problem with sound on all 4 Irish stations and all radio coming in fine, no pops or sound dips, nada. :) Channel changes (sound only though) between the 4 Irish stations is instantaneous (pity it isn't an MPEG 4 receiver, eh?).

I have everything switched off in the kitchen that I can manage and still CH53 won't come in on the kitchen TV (and CH33 is unwatchable too for UK Freeview but is coming in OK on other TV's in the house) so something in my kitchen is being a bugger... but how can I find out what it is....?

foxire wrote: »
    Souriau

Have you a Set Top Box with both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4? I have a Set Top Box with MPEG-2 only and I can receive all the RTE Channels, TG4 and TV3 in sound only from Cairn Hill. I live in the Mid Tyrone area and I already get the analogue signal from Cairn Hill. As I already get sound for RTE from the STP would it be possible to get a good picture if I had a STB with MPEG-4?

foxire
    No, I don't have a MPEG-4 STB but I have a MPEG-4 TV which is backward compatable.
    Yea, I can't see any reason why you can't received RTE digital with perfect picture quality if you have a MPEG-4 TV, unless it is block toward your direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 patrickoneill0

Does anyone know the frequency(Mhz) for Woodcock Hill for these digital tests?
    I have been able to get the tests through rabbit ears on a Samsung 650 but have recently
    had an external aerial from the roof of my apartment block hooked up to the tv and all I get now is
    analogue channels when I search for Digital and Analogue channels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Does anyone know the frequency(Mhz) for Woodcock Hill for these digital tests?

Channel 47 (682 MHz).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Can I gate crash and ask for help? I have anew HD TV with mpeg4. I am in north co dublin. Can I get a signal? what equipment do i need? i suppose an aerial, what direction should i point it. Thanks all.

You need an aerial, mine is in the attic and works fine.

Try pointing it at Three Rock first and then do a scan up to see if you pick anything. If you do, then thats it, job done.

If not, you need to find out if you can get good signal from any of the other transmitters. Perhaps others here can help you more.

mj

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is TG4 off nationwide? Its on colourbars on 3R/Kippure.

MYOB wrote: »
    Is TG4 off nationwide? Its on colourbars on 3R/Kippure.
    Sure it is, same here on Cairn Hill, been like this for past few days

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GadgetGeek

Sure it is, same here on Cairn Hill, been like this for past few days

Same for spur hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

If you look back through all the test reports, you'll see that it's a single DVB stream which is fed to all the transmitters. So if TG4 is showing colour bars in one area, it's the same everywhere else.

The only difference between the transmitters is that sometimes the mux may be turned off completely in one location but left on everywhere else. This has happened a couple of times with Spur Hill in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

Just to confirm it's the same stream everywhere, the NIT data displays the 3Rock frequency of 738MHz from every transmitter - this is from Spur Hill a few weeks back.

3463809778_f4bbfdc91b_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Red Giant

Yes - No TG4 or T na G for a couple of weeks here in Glasnevin, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

TG4 signal has always been slower to appear on screen as the other three channels for some reason (when available).

• Advertisement

What frequency or channel number is for Monaghan Lugad transmitter?

all my RTE digital channels are offair, from Cairn Hill, UHF 47
    Grrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Everything still working off Mullaghanish (RTENL TEST on Testcard as usual also).

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭peking97

What frequency or channel number is for Monaghan Lugad transmitter?

You should be able to find all the info you require here:-
    http://www.rtenl.ie/downloads/ReceivingDTT.pdf
    HTH

1,2,3,4 all good here from Kippure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

nothing here on Spur Hill now :/

Is it just me, or is everything DTT gone from Kippure today? No TV, no Radio, nothing at all....

mj

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Whats up with DTT signal strength from 3Rock? I can't get even sufficient strength to lock the radio stations (in Lucan)......

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Text has been haphazard (yesterday). Also TG4 too weak with snow and no sound (3Rock).

• Advertisement

Well Kippure is back up for me, but there is a sever sync issue with the audio.

Advertisement