Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ouija Boards (megathread)

Options
  • 29-05-2006 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

I can't think of many situations in which it makes sense to use a Ouija Board. If one can think of no more reliable and effective method for stirring up some spiritual activity, one probably isn't in a position to deal with the results, whatever they may be. The exceptions, of course, are those who have spent a lot of time using Ouija Boards, and have developed skill and experience - but once again that seems to me like misplaced effort. There are much better ways to contact spirits, especially if one is prepared to practice.

The Ouija Board (TM) is an auto-séance, which is to say, a séance sans medium. It was invented in the 1890s towards the end of a popular Spiritism craze. It was an ingenious idea. Séances were expensive and difficult to organise, and good mediums were few and far between. Demand greatly outstripped the supply. The Ouija Board was a way to bring quick-fix séances into the living rooms of ordinary people with negligible fuss or scandal, and for a reasonable one-time payment. The trouble is, they work.

In a séance the medium, if genuine, uses the heightened state of mind of the attendants to attract and draw out spirits. The medium's jobs are: 1) to manage the atmosphere of the sitting and direct the psychological state of the attendants; and 2) to receive messages in a coherent, comprehensible way. By this method a specific entity, or type of entity can be contacted, and its responses channelled through the medium. But the attendants themselves provide the "power", for want of a better word, which allows the contact to be made. When one removes the medium, as with a Ouija working, the medium's jobs are not done: 1) the atmosphere is uncontrolled and can become sinister and fearful; and 2) the means of communication for the spirit is largely up to the spirit's own determination.

With mediumship the aim, in most cases, is to contact deceased relatives. To this end the medium will engender an atmosphere of calm and warmth, love and recollection, and deep focus on the sought-after individuals. Very little can arise from this kind of collective mental state other than that which is intended. In a Ouija sitting there is rarely anyone who knows to, or is capable of manipulating the atmosphere. Inevitably people are afraid, excited, aroused and giddy. Inevitably the mental state is fuelled by adrenaline, hormones and cold sweat. This is the stuff of an altogether different type of contact.

Without the guiding influence of a medium, or one capable of controlling the spiritual environment, like an adept, the energy generated attracts anything that happens to be in proximity. Because of the nature of the ritual - frivolous and flippant as it so often is - the entities attracted will never be important, powerful or well-formed. You will not find an archangel, a god or even a famous demon paying attention to a Ouija sitting. Rather, random astral detritus will gravitate, subconscious complexes will be drawn forth - the kind of spiritual muck that one banishes at the beginning of every magickal working. And these things can be dangerous.

I am not one of those who say in doom-laden tones - Leave what you do not understand be! I understand all too well the attraction of such supernatural quick-fixes, the allure of tangible proof of the otherworldly that is so easily obtainable. In some senses I think people should investigate these avenues. But there are dangers inherent in the process, and someone with experience (though not necessarily an expert) should be present. That is to say someone with favourable experience - who is sufficiently confident to prevent the group from becoming hysterical and whipping up an unmanageable astral maelstrom.

In conclusion, I advise that people take the Ouija Board, as silly, inelegant and crass as it is, seriously. Under no circumstances should people undertake one to scare themselves, or as a kind of spiritual danger sport. If people are doing one for the first time, they should go about it seriously, slowly, cautiously and calmly. If an experienced person is unavailable, one of the participants should pick up some basic skills in banishing - the kind that can be found in the opening chapters in any widely available magickal syllabus text. And if things go wrong, don't bother with priests. Find a witch or a magickian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Excellent post Sapien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

IPI wrote:
    The only professionals in spiritual and supernatural studies are entertainers, some mediums and our religious teachers. This doesn't make them experts, though, does it?
    experienced yea, experts, I don't think so, makes them lot's of spondolicks tho.
    I know of one professional (entertainer) who promotes use of the ouija, which tbh I find totally irresponsible.
    I recall having a discussion in good company about it and figured that it would be no harm if they were to use some sort of subconscious parameters, such as angels. No sooner had I said "go patent that one" , Doreen virtue released the "Angel Guidance Board."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

i think Sapiens post would be a fitting end to this thread and a reference point for anyone beginning their journey in the paranormal. It sets out basic guidelines which go far past the use of the ouija board.

Looking back over threads from the last 2 years its a very common topic for newcomers.

If fact i'd go as far to say the post should be stickied and locked with a title like "Advice regarding Ouija Boards".

Anyone want to second my request?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pink Bunny

I agree that Ouija boards are dangerous.

It's just my non expert opinion, but I've always likened the idea to walking down a dark alley alone at night. You try to avoid doing so to begin with, but if you find yourself there the last thing you want to do is draw attention to yourself by waving at the men in the shadows shouting "look at me, look at me!"

I don't really understand how it works, but I do believe it can act as an open invitation and those spirits that are predisposed to gravitate towards things like this are the very ones who's attention you are wise to avoid .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

The whole Psychic/paranormal field has become a Science (Parapsychology) and with recent findings in Germanys' top University it is now gaining wider acceptance and recognition. I am not on this board as an anonymous individual, my credentials are available for all to see ( do I really have to go through this one again?).While Derek Acorah claims to be a medium in fairness I have'nt heard him claim to be an expert in anything.
    Ask any qualified person what they think of ouija boards, I was fascinated by them as a student and did very extensive research into the subject. So I'm just trying to help anyone who would like an "informed" opinion as a result of professional experience as both a Psychologist and a Parapsychologist. So 6th, having read other opinions about ouija on the boards, do you still feel it's right to promote the use of ouija boards with your magazine?
    Blessed Be.
    P.S. Excellent post as always, Sapien, and well said Stevenmu and Solas.
    Blessed Be.

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    I think the answer to that question will be greatly affected by the answer to this question:
    Has anyone ever used one who went into the experience with a positive frame of mind?

I cant imagine anyone in this day and age can go about using one without their head being filled with horror stories and the influeneces of Hollywood. How can anything positive or good come out when our minds are filled with negativity?
    Statistically(approximately) about half those using the ouija are young, impressionable teenagers. The rest are people who genuinely want to contact a loved one, so they are vulnerable, going through the bereavement process.
    And by the way are you telling us you've been studying and using the ouija board since you were 5 years old, 6th?( Re your 24 yrs experience):D

Do i feel its right to promote the use of ouija boards? Yes.
    They are a very accessible part of modern paranormal culture and for many they are the first (and in many cases last) step on an amzing journey into the world of the paranormal.

Is it wrong to promote cars? They are a tool which, if not used properly or by someone with experience, cause many many deaths every day.
    Sapien got it so right when he said that whereas he wouldnt tell people absolutely not to use them they are a lazy quickfix. But in the right hands it is simply a tool, like a chainsaw, an axe or anything else it deserves respect and correct usage.

As i have stated in this thread i would not use one (a ouija board - not a car :)) as i have put myself on a path which i know is a long and difficult one, i dont opt for the quickfix.

mysteria wrote:
    Statistically(approximately) about half those using the ouija are young, impressionable teenagers. The rest are people who genuinely want to contact a loved one, so they are vulnerable, going through the bereavement process.
    And by the way are you telling us you've been studying and using the ouija board since you were 5 years old, 6th?( Re your 24 yrs experience):D

There is a thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054878476

to post research and i'd like to see this "recent findings in Germanys' top University it is now gaining wider acceptance and recognition" and also the statistics which you mention above?
    6th wrote:
    I have had experiences with spirits since i was 5, thats 24 years, so do i have any more right to tell someone what they should believe or do it make me an expert in spirits? No it doesn't! As i said I am an expert in my experiences.

No I said i have had experiences with spirits since I was 5 - would you like me to make the type bigger?

Your post proves my point by the way, so why are you promoting the use of ouija boards? (google "telepathy, german university" sorry too busy working to nit-pick and do your research for you.

Sounds like you want me to do your work and validate your claims.

I'd love to know what point i proved for you. Its nice someone is proving your points.

Ouija boards are potentially danger if not used correctly - as i said much like cars. How many people learned to drive by just getting behind the wheel in a car park?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

How can a ouija board be used safely?

Read Sapiens post, that makes it all pretty clear. Read it careful mind ;)

6th wrote:
    I think the answer to that question will be greatly affected by the answer to this question:
    Has anyone ever used one who went into the experience with a positive frame of mind?

I cant imagine anyone in this day and age can go about using one without their head being filled with horror stories and the influeneces of Hollywood. How can anything positive or good come out when our minds are filled with negativity?
    This proves My point !!! So when you're playing with words 6th you're revealing more of yourself than you realise....and yes maybe I'm arrogant, but I know my stuff.

Maybe if mediums were cheaper ouija board problems would be rarer.

mysteria wrote:
    This proves My point !!! So when you're playing with words 6th you're revealing more of yourself than you realise....and yes maybe I'm arrogant, but I know my stuff.

Actually it doesnt prove your point. I posed a question, how can someone use a ouija board with all the negativity the surrounds it - Sapien answered the question. Preperation and practice is the answer.

And like i said we have to take your word with regards to what you know as fact but to a point i'm willing to do that. You are the Irish Psychic Queen after all but dont expect to be followed or agreed with blindly.

Maybe if mediums were cheaper ouija board problems would be rarer.

Thats a bad attitude to have. I dont think people in gerenal turn to ouija boards over a medium because of money.

And the idea that psychic shouldnt charge for services coz its vulgar (as i have heard people say) is silly. If i could make a living out of doing something I love i would jump and the chance - that should affect peoples opinion of me.

An Irish witch friend online has just given me some instructions on a safer use of a ouija board. She advises I don't use a board, but states that if I must, then:

A: Make your own ouija board on an A4 sheet of paper.
    B: Draw the letters around in a circle. Write Yes and No inside the circle with Goodbye below them.
    C: Have 4-6 candles and place them in the 4 corners of the room.
    D: Remove the mirrors from the room and cover them in black cloth as they could be entry points for demons.
    E: Have more than one person taking part, with the finger on the pointer at one time.
    F: Place the tumbler (used as a pointer) in the center of the board.
    G: Wear a blessed cross which has been blessed beforehand by dipping into holy water and saying a prayer for protection.
    H: Place an item dear to the person you wish to contact in the middle of the board. Ask to speak to a particular person you used to know.
    I: When finished and removing the tumbler, make sure to slide it onto a smooth surface like a coffee table. Don't simply lift it off the board.

Well make sure you let us know how it goes. Seems like you went out and got advice from someone who knows - which is what the OP said you should do.

Do you have people to do it with you?

6th wrote:
    Well make sure you let us know how it goes. Seems like you went out and got advice from someone who knows - which is what the OP said you should do.

Do you have people to do it with you?

6th I don't intend doing it at the moment, but now I know and I hope this advice will help others. It was an online witch-friend who claims to have seen spirit worlds. I would probably select someone I know but might consider looking for a professional medium to help in future. I might be reluctant to put a relative or friend at risk (should it exist).

6th I don't intend doing it at the moment, but now I know and I hope this advice will help others. It was an online witch-friend who claims to have seen spirit worlds. I would probably select someone I know but might consider looking for a professional medium to help in future. I might be reluctant to put a relative or friend at risk (should it exist).
    I'm just wondering what degree your Wiccan friend is and from what background? Xtian Priests arent experts on Ouija boards or the Spirit world unless they have lots of experience with them, neither are Pagan Priests/Priestesses.

• Advertisement

mysteria wrote:
    I'm just wondering what degree your Wiccan friend is and from what background? Xtian Priests arent experts on Ouija boards or the Spirit world unless they have lots of experience with them, neither are Pagan Priests/Priestesses.

Dunno about that but she seems experienced and to be a good witch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

mysteria wrote:

All wiccans may be witches Mysteria but not all witches are wiccan or pagan for that matter.

New_Departure06 did you tell this person that you were going to but those guideslines up for anyone to read or use in such a public fashion so that anyone using google could find them ?

Thaedydal wrote:
    All wiccans may be witches Mysteria but not all witches are wiccan or pagan for that matter.

New_Departure06 did you tell this person that you were going to but those guideslines up for anyone to read or use in such a public fashion so that anyone using google could find them ?

No I didn't but I felt that since she told me how to do it safely that I had a moral responsibility to put the advice here if it could also protect others. On the pagan question she believes in one god but she also says there are demigods.

mysteria wrote:
    While Derek Acorah claims to be a medium in fairness I have'nt heard him claim to be an expert in anything.
    He was a semi-pro footballer, I believe. :)
    So 6th, having read other opinions about ouija on the boards, do you still feel it's right to promote the use of ouija boards with your magazine?
    6th I wasn't aware you were writing about it for your magazine. If I were to, it would be an article highlighting the risks involved and I would consider the stories that have been shared. It's certainly something that requires an amount of respect, in the same way as the ocean or a wild animal does, and it would help if people did recognise this.
    In my opinion, promoting the use of ouija under particular circumstances is akin to saying ecstacy isn't dangerous, as long as you drink plenty of water. (??)

It would be better if folk just stayed clear of it but people will be people and will always look for ways to gets kicks. I would offer a substitute in the way of the angel guidance board perhaps, certainly seems a whole lot safer and more practical.

[edit]that wasn't a volunteer for writing an article either, just my two cent.

[cont]I understand the mentality which considers fear to be the greatest danger and that once eliminated all will be well or that being experienced makes us infallible in some way. Look at the news today and you will see stories of journalists being killed in Iraq. These were people who were fearless in their work, respected the territory and had years of experience covering war zones.
    Promoting the use of the ouija board is a great responsibilty and one which I personally, wouldn't undertake.

Actually the article written for the magazine is not promoting the use of Ouija Boards it is a article about ouija boards from a neutral stance - we are all talking as on the basis that ouija's work and that spirits etc exist. And though that would be my stance on it too but for millions of people around the world these topics hold no importance and have no affect on their lives.

We must remember we art talking about an item which was marketed as a toy and is very possible used on a day to day basis in many parts of the world. This was a piece of paranormal history which managed to make it into the main stream and found its way into peoples homes. To ignore it and brush it under the carpet would do it no justice and just breath ignorance.

Also think about the fact that millions of these have been sold - if they really were as dangerous as people say surely they would be illegal?

I have also asked the OP as to whether angel boards and other talking boards are dangerous but got no reply. Ouija as i already mentioned is just a trademarked name for a toy yet it is Ouija which is still relatively new compared to talking boards that gets the bad press.

The fact there have been so many threads on them and the amount of interest this forum gets everytime the topic arises shows that people will ask about them whether there is an article in some little magazine or not - i'm putting information out there and letting people make up there own mind. Yet it seems there are people who think we should brush it aside and not speak of it - this reaks of an ignorance i didnt think existed on this forum.

6th wrote:
    Also think about the fact that millions of these have been sold - if they really were as dangerous as people say surely they would be illegal?
    I'm trying to imagine convincing a judge why they might be considered dangerous.
    Ouija was conceived as a toy but like many other "inventions" it was found to work in way's that weren't considered....like viagra. In the mainstream, once these products new uses are acknowledged, they become regulated and the useage for which they were originally intended becomes obsolete. As we're talking about something which is relative in terms of the intagible to most, how do we begin to discuss the effects of it's current use or how it could be adapted for better use? The angel guidance board is an attempt to do as much and in a way it removes the harmful element and adapts the "product" for a more pleasant experience.
    Yet it seems there are people who think we should brush it aside and not speak of it - this reaks of an ignorance i didnt think existed on this forum.
    in each and every thread wher uija has been discussed there have been informative and considerate responses.
    The best thing to do in this situation 6th is for you to share from your own perspective or experience of it and go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Said Ouija article was written by yours truly. I didn't go to great lengths explaining the mortal dangers of it, no, but I did approach it from a neutral stance.

haven't read it yet, so I can't comment. My initial response was to Mysterias post, which I figured was a general topic for discussion here at boards.

solas wrote:
    The angel guidance board is an attempt to do as much and in a way it removes the harmful element and adapts the "product" for a more pleasant experience.

What are these adaptions?
    solas wrote:
    in each and every thread wher uija has been discussed there have been informative and considerate responses.
    The best thing to do in this situation 6th is for you to share from your own perspective or experience of it and go with that.

Giving information based on personal experience is great but seeing as every incident can be different and everyones experience slightly different should basic information not be given.

I'm currently reading a book on the history and culture of Voodoo, this is not for me to learn how to do it, i'm reading it to be informed on and interesting and often misunderstood subject. Similarily Ouija Boards, their history and their place in modern culture are very interesting and merits being written about. People must realise there are more views than just promoting or telling people to stay away from it.

• Advertisement

solas wrote:
    haven't read it yet, so I can't comment. My initial response was to Mysterias post, which I figured was a general topic for discussion here at boards.

It seems mysteria post was directed at my magazine and the article and downloadable Ouija Graphic. I think i'm the "amateur" in question ;)

Advertisement