Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Poker Cup

Options
  • 14-06-2006 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Irish poker cup-team event

Connacht won the teams tournament last year in the battle of the provincies. This years team event will be a inter county championship. The proposed structure is as follows.
    Total team event making it the biggest poker team event in the world to date.
    32 teams. Each team representing their own county. 10 players per team. 5000 plus reg per team.
    2/3 day event City west last weekend in August.
    This will be a total team event with prizepool paid out as follows.
    1. 100,000
    2. 50,000
    3. 10,000
    There will be one individual prize for the winner, and a cash prize for 2nd/3rd. This will be added to the prizepool not subtracted from it.
    A captain is nominated for each county by pokerevents chief director Donal Mac Aonaghusa.
    Captain of each county team is responsible for picking the other nine(or 10 if captain wishes not to play) team members. Criteria is player A) Must live or have lived in the County. B) Parents / Grandparents live or have lived in the County. i.e Action Jackson is playing for Louth and Lawerence Gosney for Armagh as both their grandparents are from these Counties. If you have close links to a County i.e you work there or your wife is native and you want to represent this county you may state your case and it will be considered.
    Every member must wear their own county colours. No branding allowed. Pokerevents will supply all the team shirts.
    All captains have being chosen. If any players are interested in playing you can PM me of carfax and we will put you directly in touch with the captain. It is totally up to the captain who is on the team.
    Provisional point structure will follows. The idea being it is a total team event with the best team coming out on top and any resonable tactics are allowed. It will also be clear the total Pool is paid out on a team basis only bar the winner who has a individual prize as a incentive to win in the case of his/her County not being in the running for a money spot and the threat of collusion. The points structure will be in such a way that it is clear right through the event which County is leading. The draw for seats will be made in a way that no two county players will be at the same table until number of team players is more than the number of tables in play.

It will be NL Hold em freezeout. It will more than likely be fully televised with a transmission on RTE and the pokerzone. This is subject to the level of sponsorship involved.
    Also on the same weekend the Irish Poker Awards will be hosted during a gala dinner on the Saturday night. All team partiscipants will be invited.

60 minute clock with a 10,000 stack.
    Dealers at every table with Donal MacAonghusa directing procedures.
    Full blind structure will be posted nearer the date.
    This is first place we have posted info to give boardsters a opportunity to partiscipate.
    Full listings of teams will be announced by the first week of July (before players head off to wsop).
    Suggestions welcome.
    Fintan Gavin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Norwich Fan Rob

sounds like a nice event, gl with it.
    id definitely be interested in playing, be interested to see in time who the dublin captain is !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Very interesting concept, should be a a big winner. One thing that worries me is the prize pool allocation: you say that only the winner gets paid outside of the team event. This means that you could finish second and get nothing for a few days work, and after possibly playing some great poker. And conversely, a player getting knocked out on the first hand could have a nice payday.

It could also change the play at the final table i.e. a player knows his team can't finish in the top three, and has little chance of winning the event himself, so basically has nothing to play for. Personally I'd like to see everyone at the final table guaranteed some cash, even if his team doesn't finish in the money. Obviously PE shouldn't be expected to foot this payout themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Good point Lenny, that crossed my mind too...

Is there a possibility that captains might organise Satellites for eligable county members ?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Come on Sligo!!!

I was thinking ages ago about trying to get a boards interest list for a smaller version of this run in the Sunday afternoon Fitz slot (with appropriate permissions etc Oscar of course) but I got lazy and decided not to.

I like the concept and think the PE game should be good, but I think there should probably be a prizepool split 85-15 or similiar between team and individual, but as long as everyone knows the structure whatever way it is then that is the most important thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

this will be lots of fun, I want to see a decent book on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

You called it !! Come on the Land of Hearts Desire !!!

Is there a captain for Sligo yet? only way i'd be able to get in would be via a satellite too rich for me trying to save for a wedding...

I'd imagine it will be (should be if he is playing) Paddy O'Connor. Alternatively it will likely be either Paul Roper or 'Sligo John' (whoever he is, but I know he plays plenty of PE events).

Those are just thoughts from me though as I have no idea really.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

Very interesting concept, should be a a big winner. One thing that worries me is the prize pool allocation: you say that only the winner gets paid outside of the team event. This means that you could finish second and get nothing for a few days work, and after possibly playing some great poker. And conversely, a player getting knocked out on the first hand could have a nice payday.

It could also change the play at the final table i.e. a player knows his team can't finish in the top three, and has little chance of winning the event himself, so basically has nothing to play for. Personally I'd like to see everyone at the final table guaranteed some cash, even if his team doesn't finish in the money. Obviously PE shouldn't be expected to foot this payout themselves.

Hi Lenny,

Very good point. I think we need to have final table all getting individual cashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Anyone out there with a grandmother from Limerick PM me. :D

NickyOD wrote:

LOL, and what's the chance of Tony Cascarino playing, or has he a hope of getting away with it twice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Fintan Does that €5000 per team include the registration fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Louth will win. Action Jackson is playing for Laois not Louth, He is not good enough for my team.

NickyOD wrote:
    Fintan Does that €5000 per team include the registration fee?

5000 plus reg per team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Shortstack wrote:
    Louth will win. Action Jackson is playing for Laois not Louth, He is not good enough for my team.

Was just about to post that I was from County Drogheda.

bohsman wrote:
    Was just about to post that I was from County Drogheda.

There is no Swedish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Anyone interested in playing for the Mayo team please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I'm presuming Connie will be the Kerry captain (maybe big presumption). If so are you going to run some sats for it Connie ?

I presume, like the All Ireland every year, that the Kingdom will be warm favourites ;)

careca wrote:
    I presume, like the All Ireland every year, that the Kingdom will be warm favourites ;)

Sounds like you're talking about that secondary All Ireland, the Sam, but everyone knows that the real All Ireland is the Liam Mc. And as regards skill, there's a hell of a lot more in poker than gaelic football. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭The Ace Face

NickyOD wrote:

No, but I have a greyhound...does that count?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭carrigeen

Fintan,

can you publish the captains names so I can start hassling them. So far I have worked out strong coneections with 8 counties and can claim another 7/8 under your guidelines. Would be good to know who the captains are so we can offer our services:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Sounds like you're talking about that secondary All Ireland, the Sam, but everyone knows that the real All Ireland is the Liam Mc. And as regards skill, there's a hell of a lot more in poker than gaelic football. :)
    sure everyone knows that gaelic is all luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I lived in Limerick for one night Nicky. I qualify for Galway and Dublin 100% and I lay claim to any county that the Vikings pillaged.

I lived in:
    Sligo for 18 Years
    Limerick for 7 years
    Mayo for nearly a year
    Dublin for 3 years

If it is like the all ireland and New York and London are playing then I have claims there too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Dad was from Tipp,
    Mam from Donegal,

So i could play for Dublin, Tipp or Donegal but mmmmmmm oh yeah im sh*t. LMAO

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

bohsman wrote:
    I lived in Limerick for one night Nicky. I qualify for Galway and Dublin 100% and I lay claim to any county that the Vikings pillaged.

LOL!

I have been asked to captain the Waterford team, I more or less have a team in mind, however is there anyone out there who i don't know with a strong Waterford connection and a good poker pedigree. Strong finishes at any WSOP WTP ETP or CPT;) event will improve your chances

nicnicnic wrote:
    I have been asked to captain the Waterford team, I more or less have a team in mind, however is there anyone out there who i don't know with a strong Waterford connection and a good poker pedigree. Strong finishes at any WSOP WTP ETP or CPT;) event will improve your chances

Are you going to have pink as your team colour?

Shortstack wrote:
    Are you going to have pink as your team colour?

liken it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

any idea who the Donegal manager is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭DocO

Shortstack, how are you picking your team from louth? from your GJP events?

If unsure about last 2 spots r so try a stt r mtt for it???

Advertisement