Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Louth !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jack Danielas

delly wrote:
    Had a feeling that it would be mentioned here after my trip to this restaurant on Saturday. In the words of comic store guy in The Simpsons, Worst - Meal - Ever!

Booked late after I saw the menu on there website and headed up for 9. They seemed a little confused about where to sit us but eventually squashed us into the centre of the main room, I say squashed as the table behind us had to move to fit us in, and even then my legs were jammed into the table with very little clearence from the height of the chair. At 9:25 we still hadn't ordered or got any drinks and I was about to walk out when the order was taken. tbh I would have left earlier only for the fact that i thought it was a bit late to get in anywhere else.

Despite the bad service, the food wasn't that bad but it was a long time between courses. Skipped dessert and on the way out the manager type girl said 'See you again', I replied 'I don't think so' to which her face dropped. Left the bad memory behind and headed to McPhails to salvage the night.

What a load of tripe! :eek: Were you suffering from PMT at the time? :mad: Martello's Greek Restaurant is different than the rest of the crap you get in Drogheda. If you arrive to a restaurant on a Saturday night with no reservation, you have to expect to wait a little. It's worth the wait in this restaurant - and you didn't say that the food was not good. Maybe you should try McDonalds the next time? They should fit you in and hopefully will ignore your rudeness. Has your face dropped now????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

What a load of tripe! :eek: Were you suffering from PMT at the time? :mad: Martello's Greek Restaurant is different than the rest of the crap you get in Drogheda. If you arrive to a restaurant on a Saturday night with no reservation, you have to expect to wait a little. It's worth the wait in this restaurant - and you didn't say that the food was not good. Maybe you should try McDonald's the next time? They should fit you in and hopefully will ignore your rudeness. Has your face dropped now????

Jack Danielas what is your relationship with this restaurant I wonder? As far as I can see delly "Booked late after I saw the menu on there website" would that not be a reservation? Even so I'd prefer to be turned away from a restaurant if they were too busy than to be left without service. I'd think more highly of them and be more likely to return. Which looks better? 25 minutes without getting a drink or order in would leave me heading for the door. There are plenty of good restaurants in Drogheda to choose from where customers are not left waiting and I don't mean the McDonald's variety either.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

What a load of tripe! :eek: Were you suffering from PMT at the time? :mad: Martello's Greek Restaurant is different than the rest of the crap you get in Drogheda. If you arrive to a restaurant on a Saturday night with no reservation, you have to expect to wait a little. It's worth the wait in this restaurant - and you didn't say that the food was not good. Maybe you should try McDonalds the next time? They should fit you in and hopefully will ignore your rudeness. Has your face dropped now????
    Lol Jack, your a funny little boy. Dingatron pretty much said it all, as pointed out I did have a booking. The rest is whats referred to as 'fair comment' which means I said the food wasn't bad, because it wasn't, the service part totally overshadowed it though. Your reference to McDonalds is also funny because from where I was seated on the night, McDonalds was in full view and I could only have wished to be in it.

I'm a big food fan and while living in Dublin would be out to restaurants on a regular basis from the most expensive to the smallest family run places. I don't expect one place to be better than the other though because of price, and expect to be treated right no matter how much or little you pay. If you can't take critism then don't expect to be in business too long as I presume you ethier work/own/manage the Martello restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

La Pizzeria in Drogheda (Peter St) is excellent and very reasonable. You have to book well in advance if you want to get a table for Sat night though. It's one of my favourite..have been going there for years.
    Also don't think anyone has mentioned The Triple House in Termonfeckin...thta's quite good also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

what about donegans north of Drogheda is it over-rated or what I dont see what all the hype is about the place :confused:

• Advertisement

steaks are damn good though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mrsmoo

Hi guys,

Just moved to Drogheda and doing the rounds with the restaurants. We went to the Boiled Onion on Sunday night after it got such good reviews here. From the moment I walked in i was not impressed, the carpet up to it was filthy. We were seated in the bar area to wait for a table which was equaly grim. Himself knew by me I wasnt impressed and said we could leave but I said no we had to give it a go and as the place was full i assumed they all knew something we didnt. The food was ok if not a little overpriced. To be honest I just couldnt get over the decor, it is grim and for me half the fun of going out to eat is nice decor and atmosphere. The music was so out of place "It's raining men" ? not what I want to hear over a meal. We wont be going back and I really cant see waht everyone is so impressed by. Of the places we have sampled I would reccomend, "Bellatinas" (think thats the name by the river), The Balti House, The Clay Oven, D Hotel,The Lemongrass, Bru, Donegans. Looking forward to trying out some of the other places peolpe have posted about.

mrsmoo wrote:
    Hi guys,

Just moved to Drogheda and doing the rounds with the restaurants. We went to the Boiled Onion on Sunday night after it got such good reviews here. From the moment I walked in i was not impressed, the carpet up to it was filthy. We were seated in the bar area to wait for a table which was equaly grim. Himself knew by me I wasnt impressed and said we could leave but I said no we had to give it a go and as the place was full i assumed they all knew something we didnt. The food was ok if not a little overpriced. To be honest I just couldnt get over the decor, it is grim and for me half the fun of going out to eat is nice decor and atmosphere. The music was so out of place "It's raining men" ? not what I want to hear over a meal. We wont be going back and I really cant see waht everyone is so impressed by. Of the places we have sampled I would reccomend, "Bellatinas" (think thats the name by the river), The Balti House, The Clay Oven, D Hotel,The Lemongrass, Bru, Donegans. Looking forward to trying out some of the other places peolpe have posted about.

Yeah have to agree with ya on the boiled onion. I've been there a few times and wasn't impressed with the food at all. The main gripe i have though is they have too many tables in there for the given floor space. Forget about an initmate conversation with your better half.
    Heading to the lemongrass 2morro night. Will let yiz know how i get on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Anyone know the phone number for Lemongrass in drogheda to make a booking? its urgent!!!! cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Morph&#233 wrote: »
    Anyone know the phone number for Lemongrass in drogheda to make a booking? its urgent!!!! cheers

If its that urgent ring directory enquiries.

No phone number for drogheda on the website

http://www.lemongrass.ie/index.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

041 9877233

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Ate there on saturday night. Have to say the it was excellent all round. They called me back with a free table after originally being booked out. The food was fab, the place looks great and service excellent. I will be going again. Having originally started this thread and now having ewaten in a lot of the places around Drogheda that have been mentioned above, here my top 5 so far:

1/ Lemmongrass
    2/ Borzalini's
    3/ Bella Atina
    4/ Bru (food great pity about the cheap looking decor though)
    5/ Boiled Onion.

Haven't been to the D yet so that will be next place to check out. Must also
    check out the Pink Elephant. And for Indian food Garam Massala is tops but
    doesn't make the list as I just use it for take away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jack Danielas

delly wrote:
    Lol Jack, your a funny little boy. Dingatron pretty much said it all, as pointed out I did have a booking. The rest is whats referred to as 'fair comment' which means I said the food wasn't bad, because it wasn't, the service part totally overshadowed it though. Your reference to McDonalds is also funny because from where I was seated on the night, McDonalds was in full view and I could only have wished to be in it.

I'm a big food fan and while living in Dublin would be out to restaurants on a regular basis from the most expensive to the smallest family run places. I don't expect one place to be better than the other though because of price, and expect to be treated right no matter how much or little you pay. If you can't take critism then don't expect to be in business too long as I presume you ethier work/own/manage the Martello restaurant.
    :D

Try Agnus castus - I believe it works for bad PMT...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Ok here's another place that does a great lunch with reasonable prices.
    Tha Salt House
    Greendoor Hostel
    13 Dublin Road, Drogheda

In there for lunch on Friday and the food was fantastic, service good even though they were streched. Could use a bit more space but thats a minor complaint. They also do a four course meal (€25) on a Saturday night with live music. Anyone been as I'm tempted but the closeness to the tables would put me off for an evening meal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tapllac

Thanks for that! Think I'll give Bru a miss, it looks a little like it doesn't know weather its a pub or a resturant anyway.
    I've been to the bar upstairs in bru 4 or 5 times over the Christmas period. The place is kicking! The bar looks like it's straight out of new york, martini cocktails everywhere and the DJ was excellent. I'm 25 years old and I didn't see one person younger than 23 in the place or older than 40. Cool and trendy (tho maybe a bit poser-ish), theres nowhere like it in the town, Dublin is the closest thing. Myself and the better half have been in for a meal on more than one occasion in the restaruant downstairs too and I thought it was fabulous. Excellent food, lovely staff and a nice airy restaurant which makes a change (a million miles of donnegans and the boiled onion). Might not be everybody's cup of tea but I think the bar and restauant are both the classiest places in the town, if not the north east! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tapllac

Thanks for that! Think I'll give Bru a miss, it looks a little like it doesn't know weather its a pub or a resturant anyway.
    I've been to the bar upstairs in bru 4 or 5 times over the Christmas period. The place is kicking! The bar looks like it's straight out of new york, martini cocktails everywhere and the DJ was excellent. I'm 25 years old and I didn't see one person younger than 23 in the place or older than 40. Cool and trendy (tho maybe a bit poser-ish), theres nowhere like it in the town, Dublin is the closest thing. Myself and the better half have been in for a meal on more than one occasion in the restaruant downstairs too and I thought it was fabulous. Excellent food, lovely staff and a nice airy restaurant which makes a change (a million miles of donnegans and the boiled onion). Might not be everybody's cup of tea but I think the bar and restauant are both the classiest places in the town, if not the north east! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Is there anywhere in Dundalk???

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

tapllac wrote:

Fair enough point, and I have been there since that post which was quite a bit back now. Bar is nice upstairs and resturant aint too bad either, even though I still maintain the tables and chairs there are a little on the cheapo looking side, compared say to the Lemongrass. Food was good though if not a little pricy for level of comfort etc...but fair point, will make a return trip to upstairs bar one of these weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Anyone tried Donnellys in Seatown, Dundalk?

Ate there last week and thought it was very pricey for what we got. I mean, how hard is it to make a bit of salad dressing instead of using revolting catering stuff....

...and as for microwaving the champ... v. v. v. bad.

Anyone any views on the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

sudzs wrote:
    Anyone tried Donnellys in Seatown, Dundalk?

Ate there last week and thought it was very pricey for what we got. I mean, how hard is it to make a bit of salad dressing instead of using revolting catering stuff....

...and as for microwaving the champ... v. v. v. bad.

Anyone any views on the place?

was never there myself! but if your looking for somewhere in dundalk i've been told there's a place just after the fairways as your heading towards dublin (out of the town) on the right hand side thats is meant to be very very nice, cant remember the name of it though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

draffodx wrote:
    was never there myself! but if your looking for somewhere in dundalk i've been told there's a place just after the fairways as your heading towards dublin (out of the town) on the right hand side thats is meant to be very very nice, cant remember the name of it though

Jackie Murphys?

yeh thats the one i think

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

Rosso's and villa tuscana in dundalk are both excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭cambridge7

Have to give the thumbs up to The Golden Dragon, Clanbrassil Street Dundalk.Excellent food,great service, and reasonabley priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gibster

La Pizzeria - Not glamorous, but comforting. Great Pizza.

Borzalino - pretty good.

Boiled Onion - not so good...

Carlito's - crapito's

Donegans - great steaks, cutlets, etc.

The Forge - nice atmosphere and service, food not so good.

gibster wrote:

The Forge - nice atmosphere and service, food not so good.

yeh i found the forge to be pretty poor on the food, not much of it, most of it was a bit too cold and very expensive as well

gibster wrote:

Carlito's - crapito's

Was in carlitos last night for the first time in about 3 -4 months and found it to be very nice, good service, food was good, starter was a bit cold but the fillet steak with pepper sauce was almost perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Puddles

what about donegans north of Drogheda is it over-rated or what I dont see what all the hype is about the place :confused:

I have to say that I haven't frequented Donegans personally but then I'm not a lover of steak. My other half has been there a few times and just hated it. He said it was like a conveyor belt in a factory. He didn't feel comfortable eating because he felt like they were waiting for him to go so that they could place the next customers. He point blank refuses ever to go back near it.
    Over-rated!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Puddles wrote:
    I have to say that I haven't frequented Donegans personally but then I'm not a lover of steak. My other half has been there a few times and just hated it.
    I think I've mentioned this place a few times, but it's worth another mention as it's a wee bit off the beaten track and a complete gem.

"The Snail Box" in East Meath, just at the end of the R152 connecting Drogheda with the N2.

*The* place for beef. It's technically a pub, but it's more 'grub' than pub if you know what I mean, plus they also have a dedicated restaurant area.

The staff are uber-nice and friendly, and I've been up there quite a few times, and never found them having an off-day.

You'll need to book in advance as it's really popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Judge2112

My experience with The Forge was quite good.
    Nice cozy and quiet atmosphere. The service was prompt & friendly, the food tasted great and I was full at the end.

Yes it was expensive, but it was worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I gave upon the Forge a few months ago; used to go there regularly. It is much too expensive and the quality of the food is not what it was. The place has been overshadowed by Rosso and Villa Tuscana in Dundalk for flair, price, and quality. If you just want a decent steak with nice surroundings and good service it's hard to beat the Lisdoo Steakhouse at the moment.

Advertisement