Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA 2014 Season Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Apologies, got it arseways:

No. 2 Oregon vs. No. 3 Florida State in the Rose Bowl (Jan 1, 5 p.m. ET)

No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 4 Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl (Jan 1, 8:30 p.m. ET)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

it would be great to finally get an oregon-alabama game for the national title would have loved it more a few years ago but its hard to argue that they've been the best two teams over the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Mariota, Cooper and Gordon named the Heisman finalists.

Mariota can be got a best price 1/12. Free Money despite the odds tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭deisedude

Lots of rumours doing the rounds that the Big 12 may bring in Cincinnati after getting jilted from the playoffs because only having 10 teams went against them. I'd love if its true but as a Bearcats fan I'll believe it when I see it. We've got fcuked over plenty in the conference re-alignment shuffle the past few years

deisedude wrote: »
    Lots of rumours doing the rounds that the Big 12 may bring in Cincinnati after getting jilted from the playoffs because only having 10 teams went against them. I'd love if its true but as a Bearcats fan I'll believe it when I see it. We've got fcuked over plenty in the conference re-alignment shuffle the past few years

the head of the big 12 was on mike and mike yesterday he said it was unlikely that they would add schools by next year as their was more important factors when inviting schools than a football chamionchip game for all thats worth

• Advertisement

Gary Anderson has left Wisconsin for Oregon State. Such a strange move and really unexpected, though the initial rumours are that he was frustrated at a combination of Wisconsin's strict academic policies, the difficulty of recruiting in the B1G and not being able to have the assistant coaching structure he wanted.

Still a bizarre move as Wisconsin is a much bigger job than Oregon State.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just how good do people think Mariota can be?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,640 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I remember when Andrew Luck was being discussed a couple of years back and I was saying that he was a surefire guaranteed to succeed QB in the NFL, I said he would be an elite QB at that level. Its the only time I've ever said that about a QB before he was drafted. I don't think anybody disagreed with me on that.

So on to Mariota, I'm not willing to say that about him. He has questions to answer, he has never been under center to the best of my knowledge. I think he will make it as a starter but I'm now sure how good he will be. He is coming from a very QB friendly system where his first option is what he usually goes to, we don't know how good he is at checking down. He really is just like Manziel or Kaepernick coming out of college.

Couldn't agree more with what eagle eye said above.

In my opinion, I'd still take Winston over Mariota without hesitation.

ya mariota could be a very good quarterback if his coaching staff are patient with him the most important things he has to work on for me are

1. getting past the first read he's coming from a similar situation to rg3 in that both offences where very -if the first read is not there dont look past it just run-
    2. he needs to look at how russell wilson gets out of play on run plays. I'm not as big a wilson fan as some others but he does an insane job of avoiding contact this is important for mariota as he's not very big at the moment (although he has a pretty big frame he could probably add weight)
    3. keep working on footwork- mariota has done tremendous work improving his footwork it was very very iffy last year but its not been a problem this year with a quicker pass rush in the nfl however its important he keeps improving

i think he can start week 1 but its important that his coaches dont emphasise winning now over his development

to put a lazy comparison on him i think winston is similar to a young big ben albeit more athletic and even more stupid off the field

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Apparently Mel Kiper was just on a conference call of some sort for the draft and stated that he believes there's no franchise quarterbacks in this draft. Could be motivation for one of these guys to show something big on the national stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Yeah it's a very interesting question and I'd largely agree with eagle eye's Manziel and Kaepernick's comparison above, however I believe Mariota is a much smarter QB than both these and you rarely see him make dumb decisions. However the big black mark against him is he's a system QB. The Ducks offence has made countless players look good but they've failed to replicate this in the Pro's. He's hardly ever asked to make tough throws and throw into coverage so how good his accuracy truly is, we don't know. I'm still a huge fan and would love to see him do well but he's by no means the certainty some people are making him out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

In my opinion, I'd still take Winston over Mariota without hesitation.

I wouldn't and its not because of any physical attributes its based on the question marks I have over Winston's character.

Yeah it's a very interesting question and I'd largely agree with eagle eye's Manziel and Kaepernick's comparison above, however I believe Mariota is a much smarter QB than both these and you rarely see him make dumb decisions. However the big black mark against him is he's a system QB. The Ducks offence has made countless players look good but they've failed to replicate this in the Pro's. He's hardly ever asked to make tough throws and throw into coverage so how good his accuracy truly is, we don't know. I'm still a huge fan and would love to see him do well but he's by no means the certainty some people are making him out to be.

its really tough to judge QBs out of college generally tbh. So much system, shotgun stuff and very little that resembles the pro style game at all.

Yeah Luck was a nailed on cert, even to a blind man, but since then you would be lying if you said you could really gauge how any QB would turn out in the NFL.

For what its worth I thought Bridgewater was the most NFL ready QB from last year but having seen the rookie QBs in action right now Derek Carr is head and shoulders ahead of any of the other rookies.

And coming out of a system in a small school I don't think many would have had that opinion pre draft.

D3PO wrote: »
    I wouldn't and its not because of any physical attributes its based on the question marks I have over Winston's character.
    The only sketchy thing is the sexual assault allegations and I want to wait and see what the last word on that is before judging him. Having recently been on jury duty for a relatively high profile case over here, I was amazed at the difference between how the media report cases vs what actually happened.

Any of his other controversies have been nothing offences imo, and we wouldn't have heard about them if it was anyone else but a Heisman winning QB for the National Champions, or someone of similar stature. Shooting pellet guns in the park, yelling out crude internet memes, refilling with soda instead of water, not paying for crab legs etc.

The only sketchy thing is the sexual assault allegations and I want to wait and see what the last word on that is before judging him. Having recently been on jury duty for a relatively high profile case over here, I was amazed at the difference between how the media report cases vs what actually happened.

Any of his other controversies have been nothing offences imo, and we wouldn't have heard about them if it was anyone else but a Heisman winning QB for the National Champions, or someone of similar stature. Shooting pellet guns in the park, yelling out crude internet memes, refilling with soda instead of water, not paying for crab legs etc.

its not that they are major but theres always something. Don't forget the autographs controversy too.

now yes its possible it may all be a media manhunt, but it certainly leaves a lot of questions over his maturity and weather he has the character to lead an NFL team.

unfortunately we don't get to sit down and interview him like an NFL team would so we can only go by what we read and form an opinion on that.

D3PO wrote: »
    its not that they are major but theres always something. Don't forget the autographs controversy too.

now yes its possible it may all be a media manhunt, but it certainly leaves a lot of questions over his maturity and weather he has the character to lead an NFL team.

unfortunately we don't get to sit down and interview him like an NFL team would so we can only go by what we read and form an opinion on that.

couldn't give a crap about any ncaa player having autograph issues to be honest its insane that a person in any walk of life can get in trouble for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Muschamp unveiled as the new Auburn defensive co-ord. Delighted. The idea of Malzahn's offense allied with a solid defense should put a lot of worry in the heads of other SEC West coaches.

I'm watching the Heisman Trophy show. Just thinking here now that it would be so hard for me to decide between Mariota and Cooper. Both have been phenomenal this season, I think I'd nearly side with Cooper.

I think Cooper is going to be a superstar in the NFL, he is the best I've ever seen in college football.

Mariota confirmed as Heisman winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Auburn player Jakell Mitchell shot dead at the same apartment complex Demonte Leonard killed three people at in 2012: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12026702/auburn-tigers-freshman-jakell-mitchell-killed-shooting

nerd69 wrote: »
    couldn't give a crap about any ncaa player having autograph issues to be honest its insane that a person in any walk of life can get in trouble for that.

either could I in regard to it actually being prohibited the point is from a personality perspective the question mark is around weather the guy is reliable, if he cannot follow the rules what kind of leader will he be ? on its own its not massive but you just add all a lot of little indiscretions together it starts to create a picture that isn't too flattering to him.

I think its a nonsense thing as a rule but its still a rule. There are lots of stupid rules but you follow them regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

So bowl season is upon us.

Memphis should take BYU down comfortably this evening, backing the favourites here.

This game is completely nuts and so, so enjoyable. 45-44 BYU with Memphis about to attempt the PAT after a 4th down TD.

45 seconds left, BYU inexplicably use 2 timeouts trying to ice the PAT :eek:

Memphis win with an interception, but now there is a HUGE brawl on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

This game is completely nuts and so, so enjoyable. 45-44 BYU with Memphis about to attempt the PAT after a 4th down TD.

45 seconds left, BYU inexplicably use 2 timeouts trying to ice the PAT :eek:

Yeah absolutely bonkers game, the 4th down conversion to tie it was incredible and Elliott is some kicker to nail that 55 yarder. A fight to round it all off seems rather fitting. Man I love college ball :p

The 12 for BYU got popped himself a minute before that, a few of those lads will have proper big shiners today and to be honest they'll probably be punished so hard it'll detract from the game obviously. The game itself was fantastic though. The OT rules are great fun.

Northern Illinois +9.5 and SD State -3 for tonight

• Advertisement

I hope Marshall win tonight, great season for them until the very end. They need to show something tonight to get a better rating for next season. I expect them to win it pretty easily tonight and shock a lot of people.

Advertisement