Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

antomagoo wrote: »
    How rigid should I be in sticking to the training plan, I mean if this happens again should I just abandon the planned session and do a nice slow run?

I wouldn't read too much into one bad run - everyone has them now and again.
    If you have trouble with that run again, ask yourself what could be causing it. Is that pace one that you should be able to handle? (30 seconds faster than PMP, I would say yes) Is it a session too many, or on the wrong day of the week - are you recovered enough to be running this? Are you running at a different time of day than usual, have you eaten enough/too much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

antomagoo wrote: »
    Hi Ger,

PMP pace is going to about 8:20-8:30

Most recent Half Marathon time is 1:43

Average mileage has been about 20+/- per week before starting marathon training

Your pace seems okay for the run so I go along with Ray and only start to worry if it occurs repeatedly.

A lot of calculators will spite out a time of 3:37 ish for you on a marathon. On your first marathon you wont get near the predicted time unless your half marathon time given is soft. I would easy the PMP back to 8:30-8:40 and then reaccess after the 10 mile and half marathon races if you are doing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cat_1977

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here but could do with a bit of advice please!

I've signed up for Dublin this year and it will be my second go at it. I'm not particularly fast, I plodded along last year and got in in 4.42.

I have two new issues I'm faced with this year. The first is that I'm doing most of the training, pretty much on my own this year. Last year I trained with a friend and am only now realising what a difference it makes to have someone to chat to along the way and motivate me to get out. TBH, there may be very little anyone on here can do about that. I just have to man up and get out there!

My second issue is that I'll be in Sri Lanka for work for the first 3 weeks or so in Sept. I've been told that Colombo isn't exactly the type of place one would go out running on on their own, especially a woman, so I'm obviously worried about training. I will have access to a treadmill but doing 18-20 miles on a stationary machine is just not an option for me - i get bored after 2 mins!

My initial plan was to work up to maybe an 18 or a 20 before I go. Spend my 3 weeks there doing short 3-6 milers on the treadmill a few times each week, and then on my return, get in another couple of 18s and a 20 before tapering off for the last couple of weeks.

I know it's not ideal but I feel it's the best plan I have come up with. Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas/suggestions. I'm open to anything except "don't do the marathon" as I've a friend coming over from Barcelona to run it with me! Anyway, I'm all paid up now and want another shiny medal!

C x

TjMer I see no problem in you getting to Dublin prepared for the full given your approach. Have a look at the Novice Plan from the first post, or follow rays weekly schedule. If you can get the 4 days a week all the better.
    You will be bringing the mid week run upto 6-8 miles at some stage during the cycle so try and factor in the extra time needed for it.
    The walk can act as a recovery so long as its not over 40 mins and is relaxed.

cat_1977 You cannot really change the order of the LSR's in the plan, You will have to do the plan as designed on the treadmill when in Sri Lanka.
    As you have already completed a marathon before you will probably get the same benefit from ~3 hours running as you will from a 18-20 miler, and doing 2-2.5 hours for the other runs in the plan. So this may cut back the time spent on the Dreadmill without compromising your training too much.
    I always find that I need to set the incline to 2-3% to simulate road/outside running.

ger664 wrote: »
    cat_1977 You cannot really change the order of the LSR's in the plan, You will have to do the plan as designed on the treadmill when in Sri Lanka.

Well, that would be ideal, but an alternative would be to build up to peak distance before going away, doing as much maintenance as possible on holiday - tempo runs rather than just easy running - and then doing a couple of long weeks again at the end of September. It's not as good, but if long runs really aren't an option in those weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tjmer

Thanks ger664- I'm delighted to hear I have a shot at it. Getting the mud week runs up to 8 miles won't be a problem I will make sure I can fit them in. The Sunday walk is normally about 30-35 mins so that's great to know I can count that in the training. I'm pushing the baby so it's not too fast. The plan then us to build up the Saturday run to the 20 mile mark in time for the athlone 3/4 and then taper the training back until the big day. Thanks for the advice. I'll check out both plans you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 U41

hi guys- new to the running game but v. eager! want to run the marathon this year, and i'm gonna.

alas, i've pulled my glute and it couldn't have happened at a worse time seeing as the Irish Runner 5 Mile is this sat.

Would i be foolish to run this?
    What sort of warm ups/warm downs should i be doing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

U41 wrote: »
    hi guys- new to the running game but v. eager! want to run the marathon this year, and i'm gonna.

alas, i've pulled my glute and it couldn't have happened at a worse time seeing as the Irish Runner 5 Mile is this sat.

Would i be foolish to run this?
    What sort of warm ups/warm downs should i be doing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated***
    If your aim is the marathon I wouldnt risk missing to much time with an injury at this point, if you have pulled the glute already you might only make it worse by running this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 U41

ha! jus what i didnt want to hear:) your right tho, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cat_1977

RayCun wrote: »
    Well, that would be ideal, but an alternative would be to build up to peak distance before going away, doing as much maintenance as possible on holiday - tempo runs rather than just easy running - and then doing a couple of long weeks again at the end of September. It's not as good, but if long runs really aren't an option in those weeks...
    Thanks Ray - this is what I had in mind as I know myself and the work well enough to know that 18 milers on a treadmill simply won't be happening! 12 Miles on Sunday so! Bring it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

lovely run this evening however half way through i saw a magpie and ten minutes later a small bird flew out of a ditch and poo'd down the front of my t-shirt. So, do i come out on-top in terms of good luck or do they just cancel each other out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Hi lads if any of you are going for sub 4 hours ill be pacing that pace band this year. Should be good crack:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

BobMac104 wrote: »
    lovely run this evening however half way through i saw a magpie and ten minutes later a small bird flew out of a ditch and poo'd down the front of my t-shirt. So, do i come out on-top in terms of good luck or do they just cancel each other out?

Dunno!! do the lotto this weekend and see what happens. You should have your answer by 8pm Saturday evening. let us know how you get on :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Are there many people planning on doing the race this Saturday. I am, and hope to be running around 38 mins. Did 5k in 22:41 at the DCC BHAA race.

Nules10 wrote: »
    Dunno!! do the lotto this weekend and see what happens. You should have your answer by 8pm Saturday evening. let us know how you get on :D

excellent plan! illl pay for your entry to the marathon if i win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Hi lads if any of you are going for sub 4 hours ill be pacing that pace band this year. Should be good crack:D

Good stuff! Will be aiming to keep an eye on you for a while in anyway! :)

There are pace groups this year at 3.00, 3.15, 3.30, 3.45, 4.00, 4.15, and 4.30, so most people should be able to find a group to run with, if they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

What's that rhyme: 1 for sorrow, 2 for joy........?

If you only saw 1 magpie then it sounds like a warning for what was coming down the line;)

Oisin11178 wrote: »

And for those who cant keep up I'll be pacing behind in the 4:30 band.

And for those who cant keep up I'll be pacing behind in the 4:30 band.
    That will be me.... since i could not find the "i just want to finish alive" pace band :o

• Advertisement

excellent plan! illl pay for your entry to the marathon if i win.

Excellent i will keep my fingers crossed for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

Lads quick question,

What exact foods should you be eating before a run and how long before the run do u consume them..

I dont mean protein, carbs but exactly wat you eat to make you feel fresh and energised for your run..

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

smurph10 wrote: »
    Lads quick question,

What exact foods should you be eating before a run and how long before the run do u consume them..

I dont mean protein, carbs but exactly wat you eat to make you feel fresh and energised for your run..

Thanks

Depends in the length of the run to be honest and hydration is just as if not more important.

For anything under 10 miles i'll just eat my normal days food.

But if over that i'll eat pasta with lean meat and veg the night before and always porridge for breakfast the morning of that run, never less than 2 runs before........food goes through everyone differently but i can't eat too close to a run.

This week so far i have

8.5 miles on monday
    6.25 miles on tuesday

Tomorrow 5 miles in the park and sunday is 3 mile race with 5 miles afterwards.

That will leave me with a total of 25.75 this week.

Next week i will get out 3 times with a 14 mile LSR on the friday !

Planning on doing the 3/4 marathon in Athlone on Oct 2. Hilly course and ideal to get ready for DCM.

Generally, slow release carbs are good for longer runs - that could be porridge, bread, something like that. It should be something easy to digest, but that is different for different people - some people don't like fruit the morning of a run, or have to wait two hours after eating before they can run.

I have muesli for breakfast most days anyway. If I'm doing a long/hard run I'll leave it at least an hour before I go out. You really have to experiment with a few things yourself.

Lads quick question,

Thanks

Everyone is going to be completely different in this regard. I can eat my dinner and 30 mins later go and do a 14 miler. Other people will find that they cant eat anything hours before a long run or they are jumping a hedge. It is a thing you will have to experiment with yourself.

Also as with hydration, nutrition should become part of daily life rather then day of or just before your long run.

Everyone is going to be completely different in this regard. I can eat my dinner and 30 mins later go and do a 14 miler. Other people will find that they cant eat anything hours before a long run or they are jumping a hedge. It is a thing you will have to experiment with yourself.

Also as with hydration, nutrition should become part of daily life rather then day of or just before your long run.[/QUOTE]

+1

Also nutrition after a run is also important to get the body going and repair and refill those muscles with energy.

I find i can't eat at all after a run of over 10 miles. I can stomach something small like a snickers but other than that its nothing for a few hrs.

I find i can't eat at all after a run of over 10 miles. I can stomach something small like a snickers but other than that its nothing for a few hrs.

Try eating immediately after your run - when I get in I have a glass of water, then banana, chocolate milk, cereal bar... whatever. But it has to be very soon after I stop running, leave it too long and I'll lose my appetite.

Try eating immediately after your run - when I get in I have a glass of water, then banana, chocolate milk, cereal bar... whatever. But it has to be very soon after I stop running, leave it too long and I'll lose my appetite.

Yeah i use the chocolate mik, fluids aren't a problem. Its just solid food of any size i can't face !

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

Hey all,
    Just wondering if it's too late to jump on board and join in on the training. For the last month I've been running 20-24 miles per week. My running pace is roughly 8.30 min per mile. I ran a half marathon end of April (great limerick run) and completed it in 1h 48m. Would love to run the DCM as a IMO it would be an amazing personal achievement.
    Just wondering what ye think? Do-able or not?
    Thanks!!
    Oh i probably should mention that I didn't run at all last week (long complicated story!!)

• Advertisement

mazken wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Just wondering if it's too late to jump on board and join in on the training. For the last month I've been running 20-24 miles per week.

You should be okay in that case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Just back from the Race Series 5 mile, had a really good race, was aiming for 40min but reckon i done a 38:29. My split times where,
    8:09
    7:40
    7:34
    7:31
    7:33.

Just checked McMillan and its predicting a 3:46:23 marathon time, how realistic is it that I could do that time? was originally planning to get as close to 4 hours as I can but would be over the moon if I went sub 4.

Just noticed the date they have on the t-shirts is wrong, oops....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

dylbert wrote: »
    Just back from the Race Series 5 mile, had a really good race, was aiming for 40min but reckon i done a 38:29. My split times where,
    8:09
    7:40
    7:34
    7:31
    7:33.

Just checked McMillan and its predicting a 3:46:23 marathon time, how realistic is it that I could do that time? was originally planning to get as close to 4 hours as I can but would be over the moon if I went sub 4.

Just noticed the date they have on the t-shirts is wrong, oops....
    Mcmillan is dependant on alot of things mate. My mcmillan times are very even from 5k to marathon but it wasnt like that when i started running marathons. it had me down as good for a sub 3.30 marathon judgeing on 5k and 10k times but i was delighted to get 3.40 in my first one. Its very easy to get excited but my advise to you is keep plugging away and get your long run up and decide nearer the time what your goal will be.

dylbert wrote: »

The majority of novice runners are not going to get near their McMillan time first time out. If you start at that pace you run the risk of blowing up around mile 20 and its a long 10K to the finish when that happens.

A better predictor of your Marathon time on your first marathon would be 5 times your 10K time. Again as previously stated, decide on your goal finish time nearer the race and keep it realistic. It is great to have a goal time but be honest enough to adjust it on the day if things are not going right.

I have said this before your main goal is to finish the race, and you will have a better idea of your marathon finish time around the 20 mile mark on the day. If you make your goal time as well then all the better.

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||55.6 miles||
    Nules10|||99||
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|||39.08 miles||
    Concerned2|||206.43 miles||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|||43||
    BobMac104|||23||

How's everyone getting on? Did everyone get to do som Planned Marathon Pace miles this week? How many of you did the Irish Runner 5?

Week 4
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m/5k|4 m/6.5k + 4*100m strides|3 m/5k|rest|9 m/15k|cross

Strides again in midweek, and the LSR gets a bit longer again.
    For the strides, remember that the important thing is to have good running form. You should be relaxed all through the distance - faster,but relaxed. Don't worry so much about the distance you cover. When it starts to become hard work to maintain the speed, you should slow down again, no matter if you've run 40m or 150m because your form will suffer then anyway.
    And on the LSR, as always, take things easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

May as well start adding to this too, seeing the miles add up will help keep me going.

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||55.6 miles||
    Nules10|||99||
    Duckee|||||
    liamog|||39.08 miles||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|||43||
    BobMac104|||23||
    dylbert|4|15|77|Week 5, done the Irish Runner 5 in 38:27:-), will try some PMP this week|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭Duckee

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||55.6 miles||
    Nules10|||99||
    Duckee|3|15m|38|5mile not so lsr for the Irish runner this week. Missed last weeks lsr so looking forward to week 4|
    liamog|||39.08 miles||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|||43||
    BobMac104|||23||
    dylbert|4|15|77|Week 5, done the Irish Runner 5 in 38:27:-), will try some PMP this week|

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||55.6 miles||
    Nules10|||99||
    Duckee|3|15m|38|5mile not so lsr for the Irish runner this week. Missed last weeks lsr so looking forward to week 4|
    liamog|||39.08 miles||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|4|19|62|legs felt it this week|
    BobMac104|||23||

• Advertisement

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||55.6 miles||
    Nules10|4|23|122|5mile race in 45:18, going to do some strides this week coming haven't done any of these yet|
    liamog|||39.08 miles||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|||23||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|4|23.67|79.27 miles|Great week. Enjoyed all my runs and joined a running group:)|
    Nules10|4|23|122|5mile race in 45:18, going to do some strides this week coming haven't done any of these yet|
    liamog|||39.08 miles||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|||23||

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|4|23.67|79.27 miles|Great week. Enjoyed all my runs and joined a running group:)|
    liamog|3|24|63 miles|Set 2 PB's this week 22:50 5k at BHAA on Wednesday and 37:41 5 Mile at the Irish Runner 5 Mile|
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|||23||

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    liamog|3|24|63 miles|Set 2 PB's this week 22:50 5k at BHAA on Wednesday and 37:41 5 Mile at the Irish Runner 5 Mile|
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|||31| |
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|3|18|41|Away for three days so only 3 sessions but millage was ok. Hard week this week to make up for it.

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||100 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    cr17|||51.1||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||70.8||
    Mr Abbey|4|15|46|Looking forward to seeing how longer lsrs go now!|
    PDCAT|||||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|3|18|41|Away for three days so only 3 sessions but millage was ok. Hard week this week to make up for it.

Week 4
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m/5k|4 m/6.5k + 4*100m strides|3 m/5k|rest|9 m/15k|cross

Strides again in midweek, and the LSR gets a bit longer again.
    For the strides, remember that the important thing is to have good running form. You should be relaxed all through the distance - faster,but relaxed. Don't worry so much about the distance you cover. When it starts to become hard work to maintain the speed, you should slow down again, no matter if you've run 40m or 150m because your form will suffer then anyway.
    And on the LSR, as always, take things easy.

Hi Ray, haven't been doing or considering any strides so far. Thinking being just to let mileage build up slowly with less chance of problems or niggles, as I've started from a fairly modest mileage base. What is the importance or idea of these and how important are they to a beginner.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Mr abbey wrote: »
    Hi Ray, haven't been doing or considering any strides so far. Thinking being just to let mileage build up slowly with less chance of problems or niggles, as I've started from a fairly modest mileage base. What is the importance or idea of these and how important are they to a beginner.
    Thanks.

They're not necessary. They aren't in the Hal Higdon plan, and you'll get around without them.
    But, they should improve your running form. The more efficient a runner you are, the less energy you use, so improvements in running economy will help you over long distances. And the strides are low impact - as I said above, you should be relaxed all through them and if they start to become hard work its time to slow down again. So you should be able to include them in one run a week without increasing the risk of injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I have signed up for the race series but i'm just wondering about taking the leap up to the DCM. My aim would beto complete the DCM in sub 4hr so 3:59:59 would be perfect.

I completed the 5 miler on saturday in 41:09 at the end of a training week of 25miles with a 10 miler LSR on Wed. I have been following Hal Higdon novice plan for 3 weeks with a few modificiations for speed work thrown in so is a sub 4hr realistic or should i put in some more training and aim for next year??

Thanks
    Kev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

kevgaa wrote: »
    I completed the 5 miler on saturday in 41:09 at the end of a training week of 25miles with a 10 miler LSR on Wed. I have been following Hal Higdon novice plan for 3 weeks with a few modificiations for speed work thrown in so is a sub 4hr realistic or should i put in some more training and aim for next year??
    Honestly? 4 hours would be a huge ask if your 5 mile PB is 41.09. 4:15-4:20 would probably be more realistic. My shorter-distance PBs would be on the very slow end of what is needed to break 4 and my 5 mile PB is 40.13.

Yeah, I was about two minutes faster than that at last year's 5 mile, and finished the marathon in 3.58.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Is it too late to start training for this ? I've been running 4 x 5km runs a week for the past two weeks, prev to that was doing 2 x 5km every week for 4 months. ? doing the extra running is harder than I thought but whats the best way to progress ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement