Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss Piggys Battle for the Big Plates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Tuesday 24th January-Strength

Spin Bike-20mins
    Might see if I can change this to a con block at the end of some of the sessions instead. Cos the bike gives me no feedback..ie distance so I get bored!

Mobility
    Reverse Lunges
    Cable Face Pulls
    Over and Unders
    Hurdle steps
    Scap push ups
    Leg swings
    YTWs..cant figure out why these are so hard these days
    x2

Deadlifts
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    80kg x 3
    85kg x 3
    85kg x 3
    85kg x 3
    85kg x 3..real grinder, hamstrings shaking. so I stopped it at this one
    Happy enough think the 85s were prettyish..kinda:)

Step ups
    5kg DBs x 12/12
    5kg DBs x 12/12
    5kg DBs x 12/12
    5kg DBs x 12/12
    5kg DBs x 12/12
    These take aaages!

Russian Twists
    +15kg 10/10
    +15kg 10/10
    +20kg 10/10...hard

DB Bench Press
    12.5kg x 12
    12.5kg x 12
    15kg x 10
    15kg x 10
    15kg x 10
    15kg x 10
    15kg x 10
    15's are easy, 17.5kg too hard

DB Row
    22.5kg x 10
    25kg x 10
    25kg x 10
    25kg x 10
    25kg x 10...heavier next day

Ab Roll outs
    4 x 15

Lying Tricep Extensions
    5kg DBs x 10
    7.5kg DBs x 10
    7.5kg DBs x 10
    7.5kg DBs x 10

Rest day tomorrow:) Or Maybe a wee bit of mobility and stretching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Ohhh...drama on boards...who'd have thunk it.

Any way...what's the plan Karla? What do you want to do going forward?

Now I'm confused??? I thought this was the plan?
    We will have a 2011 review and make a new plan for 2012.

Or,are you asking me about aims/goals ??? If that's the case...I'm still thinking!!!!

gymfreak wrote: »
    Now I'm confused??? I thought this was the plan?

Or,are you asking me about aims/goals ??? If that's the case...I'm still thinking!!!!
    OK...when you are done thinking let me know. I have already looked through your year of training.

OK...when you are done thinking let me know. I have already looked through your year of training.

Okay, so we're talking training goals/aims.

Suppose, the number one aim is just to train happy..for me to be happy that means either make progress with strength stuff or do better week to week on the conditioning stuff-I'm happy enough with either.:)

Yup I got the squat PR last week,..but apart from that havent really experienced much success inthe other lifts in a good while.

And with the conditioning, I progress with the workblocks just dont seem to get anywhere with the con blocks..kind of hitting a plateau there.

So aim numero uno train happy and make progress.

Aim 2- I want 10 pullups before the end of the year. Currently on 4, but we made it from 4 to 7 last year with a months dedicated effort...so with a good few months effort....???:)

I'm pretty happy to leave the deadlift the way it is for the moment, have no intentions to compete this side of the year so I'm happy enough to give the new way of pulling time and see what happens.

And of course..to lose the remaining Xmas fatness...exact same problem as last year:D:D

That's all I got!! Don't tell me to get more concrete/specific goals!!!

• Advertisement

Okay, so we're talking training goals/aims.

Suppose, the number one aim is just to train happy..for me to be happy that means either make progress with strength stuff or do better week to week on the conditioning stuff-I'm happy enough with either.:)

Yup I got the squat PR last week,..but apart from that havent really experienced much success inthe other lifts in a good while.

And with the conditioning, I progress with the workblocks just dont seem to get anywhere with the con blocks..kind of hitting a plateau there.

So aim numero uno train happy and make progress.

Aim 2- I want 10 pullups before the end of the year. Currently on 4, but we made it from 4 to 7 last year with a months dedicated effort...so with a good few months effort....???:)

I'm pretty happy to leave the deadlift the way it is for the moment, have no intentions to compete this side of the year so I'm happy enough to give the new way of pulling time and see what happens.

And of course..to lose the remaining Xmas fatness...exact same problem as last year:D:D

That's all I got!! Don't tell me to get more concrete/specific goals!!!
    Personally I think the pull up goal is a good one...mainly because to do it you'll need to be leaner than you've ever been...and I think that would make you happy and it is a singular goal. As opposed to the others you've listed here which are like your normal goals...i.e a whole lot of everything.

So how about we focus on the pull ups...you sort out your diet and we'll see how fast we can get to 10 reps starting in February?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

10 pull ups would be excellent.

Goals really do need to be specific or see ya goals

............. Even I can do 10!!

Personally I think the pull up goal is a good one...mainly because to do it you'll need to be leaner than you've ever been...and I think that would make you happy and it is a singular goal. As opposed to the others you've listed here which are like your normal goals...i.e a whole lot of everything.

So how about we focus on the pull ups...you sort out your diet and we'll see how fast we can get to 10 reps starting in February?

Excellent:)

I like this..alot:)
    Da ZA wrote:
    ............. Even I can do 10!!
    Now I'm embarressed!!!:D

Oh and Karla...I'll have something for you before Feb 1st.

Excellent :)

Thank you! 10 pull ups here I come :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Excellent :)

Thank you! 10 pull ups here I come :D:D

Best of luck with this Karla reckon you will do it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Just thinking a bit more about what could have happened in the last year for her gains to have slowed down... Newbie gains no longer happening perhaps? IP was probably the first time she'd a structured program in place like and anything she was doing with an element of progression would have worked? Esp considering the lack of progress on the same template for the first half of the year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Crewsterry wrote: »
    Karla here's my advice. Look at your log and your training and look past all the bull**** it's all part of the plan things he's wrote. You were dead lifting like crap (no offence) with the worst form ever and he was bragging about how much you were lifting. You were very very lucky not to end up with a serious injury to your back. I think he's a bad coach for you.

This is all bottled up for a year now by me and yeah I know I'm ranting but this is the way it is. Go join hercs or find the lads in raw to help you out or maybe ironside.

Terry you sound like a delightful fellow and we've probably met, I hope you are well!! You may want to look at some of her more recent training videos for a deadlift update.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

I think his big post there did sort of acknowledge that the deadlift form improved. Somewhere in there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Lol, this is just like the old days. Barry banned and Will getting into public scraps on Boards. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

In other news, there's been a dramatic increase in the views Gymfreaks log has received prompting mods to investigate and issue bans

So....where to start????
    Crewsterry wrote: »
    Firstly, don't tell me where and when I can post. I am offering input into karlas training and maybe just telling her some home truths. When you posted how exIp people are failing you did it to big yourself up and slag people who arent paying you €25 a month to have a programme written for them by you off, so I have a right to defend myself and my training and I'm not up on Internet rules but I'm sure the moderators will let me dothat.

I am all for ANYONE commenting on my training, in fact I actually love when people comment about my training and I've always been open and willing to listen to anyone who comments in my log. But parts of this really should be PMd to Will as I don't see the connection to me or my training.
    Athletes? Higher base? Cos tell me which athletes were training in ip because when I walked in to the place looking you have me your sales pitch one afternoon and it went an Irish ATP tennis pro trains here (I never saw him but I was told he trained there but just the once) that Enda McNulty of Armagh trained (that was just a lie he didn't or maybe he popped by one day too) and that was about it. I know you handled some teams but from what I saw you popped out the odd time with a coffee in your hand and had some other lads do it. I've since learned they weren't even staff just lads giving you a hand.
    Once again, maybe this post may have been better served in a PM to Will?
    Karla here's my advice. Look at your log and your training and look past all the bull**** it's all part of the plan things he's wrote. You were dead lifting like crap (no offence) with the worst form ever and he was bragging about how much you were lifting. You were very very lucky not to end up with a serious injury to your back. I think he's a bad coach for you

This is all bottled up for a year now by me and yeah I know I'm ranting but this is the way it is. Go join hercs or find the lads in raw to help you out or maybe ironside. He might know his stuff but from what I can see its all talk talk talk. I've spoken to loads of lads in gyms since and I've found out this and a lot more. Apparently his ex-partner doesn't even want anything to do with him now do draw your own conclusions there.

I understand you have your grievances with Will/ IP..and I'm not for one second dismissing them either and I'm very open to listening to them. But, let's look at MY perspective on training for a second.

I joined IP
    * I got my first pullup..something Id been trying to years to do by myself. Might seem nothing to most folks, but a massive milestone for me.
    *I changed how I trained..I went from 'working out' (ie. excesiive cardio 7days a week) to actually 'training' with aims in mind.
    *I started to expect more from myself...or the expectations were laid out in front of me and I followed suit.(eg. was always told to do pushups on my knees and I did...never bothered to even expect myself to be able to do hundreds in one session alone)
    *I became more and more confident from minor acheivements eg.
    pushing 110kg on a prowler, carrying 40kg KBs...a lot more

At the moment I have little interest in powerlifting, or weightlifting I just prefer to train for the fun of it. Yes, I'll compete again but at the moment it just doesnt have my interest. I'm a floater, I like trying loads, training loads and just plain enjoying myself and mainly I NEED it to be a stress reliever for me!!The powerlifting is great as something for me to aim for/break the monotomy of training but it's not something that I'm REALLY REALLY into. I probably will at some stage give ECB a go and tryout the weightlifting but at the moment I'm pretty happy in the gym I'm in and Hanley trains there too and is always very obliging to help me out/give me advice/critism/ training ideas and even fix my dreaded deadlift:D:D

I really do appreciate your input, but I think different people have different needs and perspectives. I WANT Will programming for me. I know what type of program suits me, I know what structures I like to follow..and this is kind of quite important for me. If I'm not enjoying training..then I'm not gonna be motivated to train..and won't bother.

My training needs are to have a structured program, get feedback as this keeps me motivated, get advice and have expectations laid out for me(that's quite important to me too). It's a lot to ask for but between Will and Hanley I think all bases are pretty much covered.:)
    Hanley wrote:
    Terry you sound like a delightful fellow and we've probably met, I hope you are well!! You may want to look at some of her more recent training videos for a deadlift update.
    Wahooo...we saying my deadlift is prettiful:)
    Da Za wrote:
    In other news, there's been a dramatic increase in the views Gymfreaks log has received prompting mods to investigate and issue bans
    This was all part of a coniving plan to get my logs views up:D:D:D Did it work? Did it? Did it?:pac:

Thursday 26th January-C2

Con Block -Rower
    1km easy row
    200m/ 45 sec rest
    1. 47.4
    2. 47.1
    3. 48.2
    4. 48.9
    5. 48.6...easy enough cos I'm crap at the rower :(

Work Block 1 - 15mins
    5 e/s DB Lunges 15kg...my arms!!
    10 DB Curl and Press 5kg
    10 rounds in 15.04...same. My arms werent as sore as last day though!

Con Block -Rower
    1km easy row
    200m/ 45 sec rest
    1. 48.6
    2. 48.5
    3. 49.1
    4. 49.1
    5. 47.9...realised I might of been holding back a lil:o:o so went again
    6. 48.1
    7. 49.2

Work Block 2 - 15mins
    Barbell Complex-34kg
    Deadlift, Hang Clean, Front Squat, Push Press, Back Squat, Push Press
    16 rounds in 15.04mins..left 20sec rest between each round
    This block is all about confidence with me...couldnt do any of the pushpresses with 35kg last week...dropped it down a kg..managed 6 extra rounds with ALL the pushpresses:)

Con Block - 10mins
    Rower was annoying me cos it was UBER squeaky at every pull. Ditched it for the last block and got my KB outta the car.
    16kg KB Swings
    40sec on/ 20sec off
    Averaging 27/28 swings a round..But i think I've lost all grip strength..hardest thing was actually hanging on to the KB.

Was sooooo tempted to do another block...but I didnt..still being good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Are the lunges there in Work block 1 with 15kg in each hand or 15kg total load?

15kg in each hand. And it gave me the sore-est tush ever last week!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

15kg in each hand. And it gave me the sore-est tush ever last week!!!

That's very impressive.
    Good on ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Oh I did 12.5's this week, have to try 15's next time. I want to impress Liam too!!! :D

Saturday 28th of January-Strength

Tummy wasn't too happy today...so really took my time:(

Mobility
    Reverse Lunges
    Cable Face Pulls
    Over and Unders
    Hurdle steps
    Scap push ups
    Leg swings
    YTWs..cant figure out why these are so hard these days
    x2

Squats
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5..all sets were tough enough..but not ridiculous

SLDL
    25kg x 12/12
    25kg x 12/12
    25kg x 12/12
    25kg x 12/12
    25kg x 12/12
    Same hand, same foot

Bridge
    1min on/0ff
    +15kg
    +15kg
    +15kg...easy enough:)

Assisted Pullups
    Blue Band-8, 8
    Red Band-8, 8, 8, 8, 8 with a good bit of donkey kicking.
    I'm guessing I'll be told to stop the donkey kicking

DB Floor Press
    15kg DBs x 10
    15kg DBs x 10
    15kg DBs x 10
    15kg DBs x 10
    15kg DBs x 10
    easy

Side Bridge
    45sec on/15 off
    +15kg
    +15kg
    +15kg...grand

Bicep Curls
    7.5kg x 12
    7.5kg x 12
    7.5kg x 12
    7.5kg x 12
    7.5kg x 12

Oh I did 12.5's this week, have to try 15's next time. I want to impress Liam too!!! :D

5x10 alternating reverse lunges, 15kg in each hand! I think my arms are a bit longer and my ass a bit harder. Thanks for the shot of motivation :)
    Hope youre feeling better.

5x10 alternating reverse lunges, 15kg in each hand! I think my arms are a bit longer and my ass a bit harder. Thanks for the shot of motivation :)
    Hope youre feeling better.

Well done :) Those lunges still give me the sore-est tush!!! and they're sooo annoying cos I'm trying to get through them as fast as possible!

I've been reading your log, your doing very well on your new programme! How are you liking it?

I'm loving it! Great mix of exercises and loving seeing my progress & seeing the muscles pop! Some I love - arms, the ones behind my collar bone (traps?) not so much! And the belly fat is definitely coming down , if it wasn't for those pesky kids I'd have a lovely stomach!

Tuesday 31 January-C1

*Yes, I am embarrassed I was a lazy lil piggy today:o:o*

Mobility
    Over and Unders
    Hurdle Steps
    Reverse Lunges
    Scap push ups
    Leg swings
    Cable Face Pulls
    YTWs

Con Block-10mins
    I was too lazy to push the sled:o Wanted to do something really easy so...
    16kg KB swings
    40sec on/ 20sec off
    ~27 swings each round

Work Block 1-15mins
    10 Goblet Squat 27.5kg
    10 DB Pushups rows 7.5kg
    8 rounds in 15.37mins
    I was actually like a bold brat doing this one..took my time..water breaks..stopping mid reps etc...and still managed to be faster than last week:eek:

Con Block-Was lazy again:o
    16kg KB swings
    40sec on/ 20sec off
    ~29 swings each round:)

Work Block-15mins
    10m Bounding
    10m Catapillar Walks
    15 rounds in 15mins...up a round

Con Block-10mins
    16kg KB swings
    40sec on/ 20sec off
    Grip really really really started to get loose for the last 3mins, thought the KB was gonna go flying!
    ~24-28 swings each round

Was really only being a lazy brat cos I know the new programme is on the way..taking advantage and all that!:o

Wednesday 1st of Feb
    Easy...easy 5k jog. Took it uber handy for fear of any knee pains.

Stretching.

Yes, I was good:)

Wednesday 1st of Feb
    Easy...easy 5k jog. Took it uber handy for fear of any knee pains.

Stretching.

Yes, I was good:)
    Good work. I'm finishing your program now.

Thursday 2nd Feb-S1:)

Spin bike-20mins

Mobility
    Over and Unders
    Hurdle Steps
    Reverse Lunges
    Scap push ups
    Leg swings
    Cable Face Pulls
    YTWs
    x2

Squats
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 3
    65kg x 5..thought these were high, but they werent:)
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    Early sets were eaaaasy, last 2 sets much harder! Gonna stick with the 65kg cos the knees were doing a bit of swaying inwards and outwards..and the ass was moving too

DB RDLs
    20kg DBs x 10
    20kg DBs x 10
    22.5kg DBs x 10
    22.5kg DBs x 10
    25kg x DBs x 9...grip went:(

Weighted Bridging
    +15kg
    3 x 60secs...grand. Probably up it to 20kg next day

Barbell Rows
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 5
    42.5kg x 5
    42.5kg x 5
    45kg x 5..bit too much body english so dropped back down
    42.5kg x 5
    42.5kg x 5

DB Flat Bench Press
    15kg x 10
    15kg x 10
    15kg x 10
    15kg x 10
    15kg x 10

Overhead Plate Arches
    10kg
    3 x 10/10

Bicep Curls
    7.5kg x 10
    7.5kg x 10
    7.5kg x 10
    7.5kg x 10
    7.5kg x 10

And a teeny bit of stretching.

Grand session:)

• Advertisement

Friday 3rd Feb-R1

Warm up-Spin bike 20mins

Dunno what happened...completely forgot to do my mobility stuff.:confused::confused:..remembered halfway through the session so just foamrolled after to make up for it.

60 sec rest in between everything today.

RDL
    20kg x 12
    20kg x 12
    40kg x 10
    40kg x 10
    40kg x 10
    40kg x 10
    40kg x 10

Step Ups
    5 x 10 with 5kg
    Eeeeew..they take aaages and they're hard

Side Arches on the GHR
    3 x 10/10

Bench Press
    20kg x 12
    20kg x 12
    30kg x 10
    30kg x 10
    30kg x 10
    30kg x 10
    30kg x 10
    wasnt crazily easy nor was it rock hard. I'll up the weight next day

Seated Row
    50kg x 10
    57kg x 10
    64kg x 10
    64kg x 10
    64kg x 10
    64kg x 10
    64kg x 10

Hanging Leg Raises
    5 x 10

Overhead Tricep Press cable machine
    27kg x 10
    27kg x 10
    30kg x 10
    30kg x 10
    30kg x 10

I like repitition days...takes absolutely no brain power at all:)

Advertisement