Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due January 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Wow Pooch! That was a very productive week!!!

Where is the baby market on?

We were at our gentle birth classes this weekend. Really enjoyed it and OH seems to have taken a lot from it too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Might get a baby bath so. OHs brother has a changing table with built in bath and they are mad for us to take it but I just don't think we have the space for a changing table we may never use,especially as it would be kept upstairs.

LMC,baby markets run around the country. If you look them up in Facebook you can find your nearest one. It's lot of private sellers. It might be full of tat but we will have a look anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I personally couldn't live without my changing table or bath, but in saying that we survived the first few weeks of our first baby it's just a Mat. Ended up being all over the place with nappies everywhere so I preferred having a changing table with everything in one place. You could just see how you get on for the first few weeks and you'll know what you need then as regards equipment, that's my new mantra, because every baby is different! Some stuff we got on our first that we never needed or used!

I am smothering with a headcold, does anyone have any top tips for natural remedies? I know albus oil isn't allowed :(

I was smothered a few months back, I just did the head over a basin of steam.It was a horrible dose though and took weeks to clear but other people on my staff had the same thing and took stuff and it didn't shift for them either. Hope it's not the same thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Sorry for butting in. But I picked up a microwave steam steriliser in boots for half price if it's any use to ye .
    It's an agent one and it's reduced to 17.50

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

I am smothering with a headcold, does anyone have any top tips for natural remedies? I know albus oil isn't allowed :(

Oh you poor thing! T'is a dose at the best of times, then when you can't take the standard remedies... yeah, Olbus has eucalyptus oil in it which is best avoided... have heard people recommend Pine or Cypress essential oil instead, they are both safe in pregnancy.

Steam is good, as pooch said hot bowl of water with a towel over your head. Alternatively a long shower can be good for the same reasons (steam promoting dilation of the airways and loosening mucus).

Also hydration hydration hydration... if not water, then tea (herbal is best, I find green tea good especially for sinus congestion - it does contain caffeine so best to not have more than 2 cups a day for us pregnant mamas). Hot water with fresh lemon wedges and honey is good too. I have heard people talk about adding a shot of Apple Cider Vinegar to the honey and lemon as it has shown evidence of anti-viral/decongestant properties... however it sounds rank and I have not tried personally.

Also, if you can stretch to it, Indian Head Massage is expensive but I've found it can give such good relief from head/sinus congestion.

Hope you feel better soon.

Original lemsip is fine to take.

Busy day again here!
    Posted off my maternity leave forms and have started to buy stuff for hospital bag. All the nightwear in penny's is very festive though!!

pooch90 wrote: »
    Busy day again here!
    Posted off my maternity leave forms and have started to buy stuff for hospital bag. All the nightwear in penny's is very festive though!!

What forms are you doing? Should I be doing something??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

I presume Pooch means the MB10 form that is sent to Social Welfare? I checked with personnel and they told me I would have to fill that out to get paid during the first 6 months of maternity leave. I am a PAYE worker, though, so I'm not sure it it's the same everywhere and also not sure what happens if you are self-employed.

Hope you're feeling better LMC.

Ok, will look that up. Only 5 weeks left in work now :)

Still smothered with this headcold but sure all worth it to have a gorgeous little baby soon!!

How is the time flying past so quickly????

What forms are you doing? Should I be doing something??

Yeah it's the MB10 I filled in. I need to have it in 6 weeks before leave starts to ensure I still get paid. I had a load of other forms for my employer too that drove me insane so I'm just glad it's done.

Another decent week. Collected travel system yesterday and car seat,base and covers.
    Ordered a footmuff for car seat online today and bought a changing bag and Tummy Time pillow.
    Have reserved steriliser for collection tomorrow in Argos (TT electric reduced to €50 from €75)
    Did nothing for ages but kicking into action now!
    Thank God I get paid this week!!!

Ah Pooch! Can you spread some of that organisation to me???

I'm just out of hospital after a 3 night stay. Yet again I was totally unprepared and my poor BF had to do my bag packing for me! The doctors had some strong words with me about slowing down and getting more rest. Also I need to get organised for the hospital bag!

Thankfully my family held a baby shower for me recently and we were blessed with lots of essentials for baby :) so on that front we are covered thankfully!!

Aw you poor pet.
    Yes, slow down!! It's only for 8 or so weeks and then things will be proper crazy so relax for now. I'm not one to be mollycoddled so I know it's tough.
    I have the stuff for hospital bag but dunno what kind of bag to bring, do you bring a suitcase or a few backpacks or what??

Aw you poor pet.
    Yes, slow down!! It's only for 8 or so weeks and then things will be proper crazy so relax for now. I'm not one to be mollycoddled so I know it's tough.
    I have the stuff for hospital bag but dunno what kind of bag to bring, do you bring a suitcase or a few backpacks or what??

My advice after being in for a few days and seeing all sorts is being as little as possible. At the start you really don't need much and then your partner can bring in a bigger bag. There isn't much space and sometimes you can end up moving bed a couple of times so the less stuff the better.

The way we worked for this time was he brought in bits every day, brought home the dirty bits and anything else I no longer needed.

My plan for babies arrival is to leave out extra pj's and other stuff on the spare bed at home and just ask him to bring it in as needed.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Just wondering how many maternity/breast pads/nappies etc to pack in initial bag.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Just wondering how many maternity/breast pads/nappies etc to pack in initial bag.

I'm kinda thinking a packet of each?? I know it seemed in holles st that were providing maternity pads but I guess they don't officially...

Hi ladies. My maternity hospital always provided pads...I never actually thought to bring my own!

I think leaving extra pyjamas out at home is a great idea- stealing it for this time ;)

I always got by with a large hold all, in it id have around 3 pjs, dressing gown, washbag, towels and six changes of underwear, as well as vests , onsies & nappies for baby. I also have my labour bag in the big bag too, with babys few things for after they're born. Then hubby always brought stuff home for the wash & brought whatever extra we needed in to us depending on our needs! Always remember on our first the 'newborn' clothes & nappies we bought were way too small as baby was rather large, so hubby had to go clothes shopping anyway!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips on the hospital bags, ladies. Must get shopping for the few bits I don't have yet!

Ended up in hospital yesterday for a few hours. You know the way they say 'any bleeding at all make sure you go to hospital'. So I had the tiniest tiniest imaginable amount of bleeding (and I mean really tiny!), which had actually stopped by the time I saw the midwife. But they still said I should have come in. Always hard to know how serious something is, but as this is my first baby I am totally erring on the side of caution. Anyway, all good with the baby. They checked the heartbeat and movement and did a scan. They are so nice and patient and never made me feel like I shouldn't be there. It's funny, if it was just me I would leave it a few days and see how things progressed and then I might ring the doctor. But now that there is a baby involved I am super cautious and careful. It's funny feeling responsible for somebody else. Hmm... this becoming-a-parent-thing is interesting....

Hi Ladies,
    I really need to go shopping for my hospital bag tomorrow. Spent 4 of the last 7 nights in hospital! I will say through the midwives in Holles St are amazing! No matter how busy it is they always make time for you.

Now if this baby could give up the messing and stay cooking til Janurary, that would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Fingers crossed for you little miss.

On the hospital bag - I just brought a carry-on size bag and left piles of extras at home to be brought in as needed (I was in for 5 nights). Get the big green maternity pads and bring a pack and leave a pack or two at home. If you run short they have them in there. Also I'd pick up some night-time STs to leave at home as some people bleed more than others and you might be ready to move to them. Breast-pads - I'd just pack a handful and leave the rest at home as you likely won't leak much in the earlier days. I got a couple of packs of the big black knickers from penneys - not much dearer than disposables and much more comfortable. I have them for this time too!

Wash any knickers, pjs, towels etc first as if you have a section or other stitches you don't want fluff sticking to them.

Have the lanolin cream somewhere handy and start applying it after the first feed and keep doing that even though it will feel like you're feeding every 5 minutes!

I labelled everything at home with post-its and also took photos of them on my phone so when I was telling my husband I needed x I was able to show him, as the different pads etc confused him! That might just be him though.

Baby doesn't need much - simple vests and babygros that button up the front. A small pack of nappies and have a spare pack at home. I had a summer baby last time but I'll pack one cardi this time just in case. Don't bring too much as you'll have enough to manage without having lots of stuff around your bed!

Oh one last thing - bring a notebook and pen to take notes of feeds/nappies as the midwives will ask you and I was so exhausted I couldn't remember! And some snacks - hospital feeding times are bizarre!

Thanks Mary! The photos is a great idea and labels!

I did a big shop today. Bought a stack of night dresses in penny's, they are so cheap if they don't make it home no worries.

Also bought myself a nice nightdress and gown for post baby, been admiring it since I fell pregnant :)

Hi all,

How is everyone doing? I've finished up work now until baby arrives. My consultant thought it was best given the number of admissions I have add.

Feels odd to be off "sick" and not to be sick as such. I am following their advice on restricted activities and not carrying anything. I'm hoping it will help avoid early induction!

Hi all,

How is everyone doing? I've finished up work now until baby arrives. My consultant thought it was best given the number of admissions I have add.

Feels odd to be off "sick" and not to be sick as such. I am following their advice on restricted activities and not carrying anything. I'm hoping it will help avoid early induction!

Almost finished exams here (yay!), feeling very big and bulky. Was turning over in bed last night and heard/felt this almighty pop somewhere in my pubic bone, walking like John Wayne today... not sure exactly what happened, but it's bloody sore! Also have my first stretch mark :)

How are you getting on at home LMC?

Yeowy! That sounds really painful,hope you're OK. Hurray for end of exams. I'm counting down the days to finishing work. Stressful 2.5 weeks left. 30 senior infants plus Xmas and carol services and loads of meetings just make me want to throw in the towel and say,see ya in September lads I'm outta here.

Glad someone else feels bulky. I'm kinda fed up of it now and I know its only going to get worse for the next 6 weeks :(

Yeowy! That sounds really painful,hope you're OK. Hurray for end of exams. I'm counting down the days to finishing work. Stressful 2.5 weeks left. 30 senior infants plus Xmas and carol services and loads of meetings just make me want to throw in the towel and say,see ya in September lads I'm outta here.

Glad someone else feels bulky. I'm kinda fed up of it now and I know its only going to get worse for the next 6 weeks :(

Jeepers, I think I'll shut up complaining about exams... fair play to you for handling a class of Senior Infants, I wouldn't be able for it even in my non-pregnant state :p Hope the next few weeks roll in quickly for you!

Whereas I would rather the infants to the exams!

Honestly,if my principal was in any way supportive I wouldn't be so stressed. She has decided we need a 2 hour Mindfulness seminar on Monday after school! Yuck, I can't sit anywhere for two hours,let alone after a day of 5 year olds, then rush home to go to Pregnancy Pilate's. Following day have an assessor coming to see if we are to be awarded a Green Flag for the school (I've been doing all the work for that single handed for 2.5 yrs so it all falls to me on Tuesday) then that evening we have a 4 hour antenatal session. My mother due to come and stay for few days on Wednesday. Staff night out on Friday (over an hours drive away!) I'm exhausted just thinking about the week ahead. The weather is crap and we have two big dogs who have been stuck inside because the garden is a swamp. Really needed a moan,sorry! I think I need a bath!!

On the bright side it was my birthday yesterday and hubby was lovely :)

Apologies for the whinging!!

• Advertisement

Yay, thanks for all the extra tips about what to bring to the hospital! Finally bought a dressing gown the other day. The one I have at home is over 20 years old (I kid you not) and was getting to the stage that I needed to throw it out anyway. Was hard to find a 'non fluffy' one in town, though. I presume the hospital will be warm and that there is not point having a big fluffy dressing gown!

Hmm... it's obvious that I don't have much on my mind since I am thinking of dressing gowns... I have been really really lucky with my lack of dodgy pregnancy symptoms. Was just thinking today, maybe that means I'll have a really crap labour to make up for the lovely pregnancy!!!

Things beginning to come together here as regards stuff we need to buy. We have a cot and we are collecting our travel system this weekend. A few bits still to get but not too much (I think!!!) The cots is now beside our bed. Strange to think there will be a baby sleeping in it quite soon.

Looking forward to finishing work for Christmas - and not going back after Christmas! Of course, the whole idea of life as I know it changing totally after Christmas is, at times, freaking me out (there have been tears!!!), but I'm sure that will all come together. I need to start looking up mother and baby groups and suchlike because I literally know nobody local who will be around during the day. Was starting to panic about that the other day, but have now given myself a good kick up the arse because in fairness I probably won't have time to be lonely in the first few months... Yeah, the whole change of life thing with the first baby is very weird. And I have been thinking about it WAY too much.

Best of luck to all over the next few weeks.

Advertisement