Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Wonder do they realise they "shut" the wrong end?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Wonder do they realise they "shut" the wrong end?

Just think about what the other one looks like... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I can't get my old account to work :(

Why's that???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Getting 2 Michelin 225/40/18 for 70€ fitted each in tyreland tomorrow :)

Also, does anyone know of a good cheap and safe place to park my car tomorrow evening for a concert in the academy? :)

Q park on Marlborough St? I've used it a fair few times when I've been out that side of the city.

I'm driving the back roads from Swords to Blanchardstown this week, they are in a frightful state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Stheno wrote: »
    Q park on Marlborough St? I've used it a fair few times when I've been out that side of the city.

I'm driving the back roads from Swords to Blanchardstown this week, they are in a frightful state.

Another option would be on street parking in Merrion Square for free after 7pm and lots of nice gardai to keep an eye on it. Very close to Pearse Street. Night time parking in Dublin is generally fairly easy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Marcusm wrote: »
    Another option would be on street parking in Merrion Square for free after 7pm and lots of nice gardai to keep an eye on it. Very close to Pearse Street. Night time parking in Dublin is generally fairly easy.

I was thinking of the Academy on Middle Abbey Street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I was thinking of the Academy on Middle Abbey Street?

Oops so they've moved it northside and stolen the name of the cinema on Pearse Street where they were originally located. IN that case, I suggest street parking on Ormonde Quay or Capel Street!! Little to be gained by car park at that hour of the evening IME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Qpark on Marlborough street is fairly cheap in the evenings. Its also like a fortress after 10, they lock up every entrance and you need a ticket to get in or out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We'll be parking about 5 latest to queue for the front so will just go for on street parking in a friendly neighbourhood :pac::)

Qpark evening rate starts at 5. No free on street parking near there until 7. So it may work out the same price wise. (i thinks its €6 from 5pm overnight if you pay up front). Also there are clampers everywhere around there.

• Advertisement

We'll be parking about 5 latest to queue for the front so will just go for on street parking in a friendly neighbourhood :pac::)

Eh your best friendly neighbourhood in that area is probably q park in Marlborough St :)

€5 if you book in advance to park from 4pm to 9am Far less than onstreet parking!

There are no friendly areas around there :pac: I went to college around there, I wouldnt park my car on the street.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    There are no friendly areas around there :pac: I went to college around there, I wouldnt park my car on the street.

I'd be the same to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Gah i have another headcold coming on, second in as many months :(

Right, I don't know that area so I'll change my plan! I'll be out of the concert about 10 I'd say. Thanks lads

Just saw that's til 9am! Fantastic! Thanks a mill! How long a walk is it from there roughly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Never over-estimate one's skills with an Allen Key and attempt to take out the drivers seat of a 156 in order to satisfy the need for OCD - obsessive compulsive detailing....

...it never ends well...:pac:

Got the whole car more or less finished now though, hopefully some decent pictures tomorrow.

I hope you didn't do what I did Tim. When putting the driver's seat back in, one of the rails caught the back door and chipped paint off leaving a lovely white chunk which I filled in with black permanent marker and forgot about until right now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I hope you didn't do what I did Tim. When putting the driver's seat back in, one of the rails caught the back door and chipped paint off leaving a lovely white chunk which I filled in with black permanent marker and forgot about until right now :D

wince.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I may have just priced up some 6-pot BMW Performance (Brembo) brakes...

€920 for calipers, carriers, braided lines, 325x25 discs, pads, etc and 1L ATE Super blue isn't bad right

>_>

<_<

Right, I don't know that area so I'll change my plan! I'll be out of the concert about 10 I'd say. Thanks lads

Just saw that's til 9am! Fantastic! Thanks a mill! How long a walk is it from there roughly?

From the car park to Middle Abbey Street? Five minutes max.

You coming from Tyreland?

• Advertisement

From the car park to Middle Abbey Street? Five minutes max.

You coming from Tyreland?

Thanks for PM, nice waaaaaaaan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Marlow wrote: »
    I don't know, who you are referring to. It certainly wasn't me.

There is a regular at trackdays who brings his Holden Ute out and it's immense good craic. It's essentially a Opel Omega Pickup with a 5.7l V8 shoe-horned under the bonnet.

He started out looking for a Monaro, then realised the Commodore was essentially the same, but cheaper to import and tax. Both of best worlds, if you only need 2 seats. He's had it a few years now.

/M

Must be a pretty old one if its a 5.7L, the VE series Holden Commodore Ute comes in the Omega 3.0L SV6 3.6L or the SS 6.0L (V8)

There is also the HSV Maloo and Maloo R8 which are 6.2L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Who needs soaps when you can watch a good racket going on at work....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

€920 for calipers, carriers, braided lines, 325x25 discs, pads, etc and 1L ATE Super blue isn't bad right

>_>

<_<

Not bad at all, the brembo (Ti) kit for a 159 is over 3k.
    Is that new?

I didn't do that funnily enough but I took the seat out and can't get it back in again. All it was was 4 bolts and two went in fine with the others being stubborn. I told the car he can stay outside and think about his behaviour...:D

Help!

Surprised you took the seat out considering you didn't fancy changing spark plugs. Might be worth taking out the two that went in fine and try them in the other spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

>_>

<_<

What's wrong with the brakes on it now? You could do a lot with a grand that would be better spent than improving brakes!

RoverJames wrote: »
    Surprised you took the seat out considering you didn't fancy changing spark plugs. Might be worth taking out the two that went in fine and try them in the other spots.

The seats are really easy to take out though. 4 very accessible bolts and the seat belt in Alfas. I'd have the 2 front seats out quicker in a Bravo than I'd be able to change the plugs.

Alfa seats do bolt directly into a Bravo....

>_>

<_<

Thats good value! I'd never miss an opportunity to have even better brakes :)

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    To me it seems like a giant waste of money putting 6-pot Brembo brakes on a 3 series diesel. Its not like you currently have drum brakes all round currently! And I dont think your going to be doing any track days in here right?

This.

Unless you're planning on tracking it regularly enough, then I see no point in upgrading the brake setup at all. An upgrade in pads would be the most I'd do (and have done) but to spend a grand on uprated brakes that you'll never use to their ability? Madness! :)

I have a friend who was doing some online checks for a quote on an M3 and he told me he got a quote from One Direct for €2800. Now this is potentially understandable as he only has 1 years no claims so I decided I'd give it a shot using my own car, so just did an online Insurance quote with them... €1569! :eek:

That's the highest quote I've ever seen for the ST and I pay less than half that at present including things they don't include in that price (Windscreen cover, full no claims protection being the big two). Absolutely shocking quote.

Is anyone with this crowd? Apparently Aviva now go through them as well?

166man wrote: »
    I didn't do that funnily enough but I took the seat out and can't get it back in again. All it was was 4 bolts and two went in fine with the others being stubborn. I told the car he can stay outside and think about his behaviour...:D

Help!

You shouldn't fully tighten the bolts until you have them all in and they are all aligned properly. The play gives you room to move the seat into place to get each one in position. Only then should you tighten them.

I also like to tighten them as though I was going a cylinder head, do up each one a bit at a time. It may not be necessary but that's just how I do it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

pred racer wrote: »
    Is that new?

Yeah. That's new but discounted. The BMW kit normally is about 1200-1500. Still dead cheap for a set of front discs, pads, calipers and sensors.

It's fronts only.

I have the same set on my M5.

/M

It's not like BMW's standard brakes don't stop the car, they're a lot better than other manufacturers!

I'm of the opinion that better tyres would be a more worthwhile investment than calipers.

Better tyres first, alright.

The idea with the performance is not really more stopping power. The discs are similar enough in size to the normal ones.

However, because of the discs being slotted and drilled, the 6-pots etc., there is better heat dispersation with the performance brakes.

Normal brakes get worse with every braking in sequence. So if you brake a lot, like on a trackday on Mondello, then you have full braking time the first corner and you get less braking power at every subsequent corner, because they heat up more and more.

Less of an issue with the performance brakes.

/M

• Advertisement

It's not like BMW's standard brakes don't stop the car, they're a lot better than other manufacturers!

I'm of the opinion that better tyres would be a more worthwhile investment than calipers.

#bmwfanboi

#bmwfanboi

The brakes in the MPS were good too but not as good as the 335 or even my parents' C180. German brakes, in my experience are a lot better than Jap brakes. The ones on the RX8 were woeful though.

Marlow - you're talking about brake fade ;)

For what car were you thinking ? You know, that if you want to fit it anything else than a E9x 3-series or a 1-series, then you need special adapter brackets.

/M

The brakes in the MPS were good too but not as good as the 335 or even my parents' C180. German brakes, in my experience are a lot better than Jap brakes. The ones on the RX8 were woeful though.

Marlow - you're talking about brake fade ;)

Call it what you want.

If I recall correctly, the 335i already has the 6-pot performance brakes. They're just colored grey instead of golden.

/M

For what car were you thinking ? You know, that if you want to fit it anything else than a E9x 3-series or a 1-series, then you need special adapter brackets.

/M

He has an E46 320D

• Advertisement

He has an E46 320D

Without the brackets, the PBK will NOT fit. I've got a source for the E46, but they'd be another 300 EUR.

/M

RoverJames wrote: »

I looked at it for ages and it seemed like all it was, was 4 bolts which came off with an Allen key. Nothing too difficult there, just getting them back on could not seem to match up the four holes with the bolts. Even with three on, the fourth one was out of place which confused me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

pred racer wrote: »
    Is that new?

Brand spanking new

/M

That's including the new required carriers

Brand spanking new

That's including the new required carriers

Sounds very cheap. Where did you source the brackets ? I've only found a place in Germany so far, that does them for the E46.

E39 is even more difficult. Ended up having to make up new drawings after the original supplier in Belgium went bust.

/M

I looked at it for ages and it seemed like all it was, was 4 bolts which came off with an Allen key. Nothing too difficult there, just getting them back on could not seem to match up the four holes with the bolts. Even with three on, the fourth one was out of place which confused me.

Keep the bolts loose and the seat adjuster is your friend ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Anyone want to guess whats going on here???
    DSC_0043_zps35630c68.jpg

Parking sensors install?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Fitting parking sensors?

In revvit class now, had a pint on my lunch, bursting to pee :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

sean1141 wrote: »
    Anyone want to guess whats going on here???

You wanted to clean in behind it :D

Fed up with the wife knocking dents in the rear bumper or causing insurance claims ? :D

/M

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement