Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Mar4ix wrote: »
    not really, just about it no die.

You're supposed to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Tallon wrote: »
    You're supposed to...

You should not hold your car on the clutch at all while stopped. It really reduces its lifespan.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Have a Google of it on avensis. It's a well know problem with Astra h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

h3000 wrote: »
    You should not hold your car on the clutch at all while stopped. It really reduces its lifespan.

I know that, and i am not holding, i just put in 1 gear, 3 sec before light turns green, and give a bit rev, to start move, as i know, there is green light comes .

h3000 wrote: »
    I know, I never said to do that :confused:

He asked when the light is about to go green and he is clutching to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

I know, I never said to do that :confused:

He asked when the light is about to go green and he is clutching to go...

yepp... and back to question... when it judders, every time, when start drive, some times hard to find gear, and crunchy reverse gear - would all that means clutch on the way out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Would I be right to be suspicious of a car 13 year old with very low mileage but with a very worn steering wheel ? I get the feeling I'm a bit overly suspicious but still curious at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Would I be right to be suspicious of a car 13 year old with very low mileage but with a very worn steering wheel ? I get the feeling I'm a bit overly suspicious but still curious at the same time.

That would set alarm bells ringing for me. What's the car? Any other signs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

A 13 year old car with low mileage? I wouldnt touch it with a stick, just to be safe.:)

• Advertisement

That would set alarm bells ringing for me. What's the car? Any other signs?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3789147

Just the wheel, otherwise it looks spotless, saying that I've learned lately that photos don't tell as much as you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3789147

Just the wheel, otherwise it looks spotless, saying that I've learned lately that photos don't tell as much as you think.

The wording of the ad would have me worried.
    I would understand if the wheel was like that after a farmer was using it someone with muck and crap on their hands would do that damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The wording of the ad would have me worried.
    I would understand if the wheel was like that after a farmer was using it someone with muck and crap on their hands would do that damage.

You'd want to have hands made of chainsaws to do that kind of damage in such a short space of time!

MJ - If you want that car, go view it. Check all the NCT certs to see what milage is on them and also check the service history. If anything is missing I would be walking away as there would be nothing to prove to me that those miles are genuine.

With that said, the miles could well be genuine. My granny had a 1995 Renault5 which she gave to me to restore and sell on 2 years ago. She just drove around town and when I sold it, it had 19,000 miles on it. This astra could have had the same kind of life.

I'd run a mile if I were you

Its for sale in dublin, IF thats just city milage, I take it would be low. But for a 99 that seems to be way too low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd run a mile too. Looks like someone trying to make a quick few euro.

Car is suspiciously clean, new wheel trims and tonnes of tyre gloss just screams back street seller.

Steering wheel, handbrake and even the light switch looks heavily used and abused.

• Advertisement

You'd want to have hands made of chainsaws to do that kind of damage in such a short space of time!

MJ - If you want that car, go view it. Check all the NCT certs to see what milage is on them and also check the service history. If anything is missing I would be walking away as there would be nothing to prove to me that those miles are genuine.

With that said, the miles could well be genuine. My granny had a 1995 Renault5 which she gave to me to restore and sell on 2 years ago. She just drove around town and when I sold it, it had 19,000 miles on it. This astra could have had the same kind of life.

I'd say that was fun :D

But yeah I'll give the seller a ring when I get up tomorrow and see whats what. I've see cars with less then 30,000 miles have warn steering wheels but that's only because its made of the peal off ****e material.

Thanks lads

If that N.C.T is genuine would they have the correct milage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Plastic steering wheels can breakdown like that if the person driving it uses alot of moisturizer/hand cream. the chemicals in it seam to attack the plastic...
    The steering wheel in my moms old Yaris looked like that too.

The headrest is worn heavy too, and the back seats look rough!

Also, he used the 'c' word...

Its for sale in dublin, IF thats just city milage, I take it would be low. But for a 99 that seems to be way too low.

I could say the exact same about my grandads 99 Brava which I dont think has even hit 35k. It only gets used for going the shops and that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

one quater of my steering wheel is worn to a bald effect from where my hand does be but the rest is good condition.

use a lot of soap and alcoholic gel etc.

If that N.C.T is genuine would they have the correct milage?

The NCT on it at the moment may be fine but every NCT Cert (the A4 sheet from which the disc is detached) has the milage on the clock on the day of each NCT. If these certs aren't there at all, kick yourself up the hole and leg it.

The NCT on it at the moment may be fine but every NCT Cert (the A4 sheet from which the disc is detached) has the milage on the clock on the day of each NCT. If these certs aren't there at all, kick yourself up the hole and leg it.

Oh dont I know the yoke your on about. So in a nut shell the if the miles on the clock jumps down for no reason, there is spmething not right.

I would leave but I wouldnt go so far to kick myself up the hole. :D

Is the price still not a bit much?

Ya, even if the milage is genuine, I still wouldnt spend over 1500 for a 99.

I would leave but I wouldnt go so far to kick myself up the hole. :D

That's just to get yourself out of there faster ;)

It might be worth that to someone out there IF the milage is genuine but you have a point.

If it is genuine mileage then that is an average price, I'm surprised their not asking for a couple of hundred quid more tbh going by some of the crap that I've seen with bigger asking prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just had a look at my tyres on scooby. Seller did said those were good brand and fella at meet said that those are quite good tyres.
    Well I got worried a bit and wanted to check how much would they costume to replace when needed... 180eu each online... ****...

You don't need to replace like for like man, go for Kumho Ecsta SPT - €145 each and an excellent tyre in the wet and dry.

OSI wrote: »
    What are they?

Bridgestone potenza

MM, I know I don't need to, but I don't want to downgrade too!

• Advertisement

Bridgestone potenza

MM, I know I don't need to, but I don't want to downgrade too!

Potenzas are one of the best tyres out there but also one of the most expensive. You won't necessarily be downgrading, Kumho are great tyres!

Potenzas are one of the best tyres out there but also one of the most expensive. You won't necessarily be downgrading, Kumho are great tyres!

It's not like I am out of thread already. Those are still good to go for a lot of miles. Though I would better get ready when time comes. I could at least buy 2 now and throw them in the garage.

I just got a wee bit of a shock. I used to buy tyres on mx5. Toyo t1rs 50eu per pop! Now that's class! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

What size are they? I got Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s for €150 each last time (225/40/18), they're as good if not better than the potenzas

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-2.htm

Kumhos are good but won't come close, for the sake of €5/tyre...

What size are they? I got Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s for €150 each last time (225/40/18), they're as good if not better than the potenzas

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-2.htm

Kumhos are good but won't come close, for the sake of €5/tyre...

*Insert "Mother of God" meme here*

Why am I only finding out about these now?!

Same size man. Will look in to those too. Like I said, I am not in the rush, I just did not knew what sort of tyres were those. I guess buying from enthusiasts is worth it! :)

*Insert "Mother of God" meme here*

Why am I only finding out about these now?!

Because you never fecking listen to me :p

(usually with good reason) :pac:

Same size man. Will look in to those too. Like I said, I am not in the rush, I just did not knew what sort of tyres were those. I guess buying from enthusiasts is worth it! :)

Here's those Eagle F1s on Camskill for €143 :eek:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134p78805/Goodyear_Tyres_Car_Goodyear_Eagle_F1_Asymmetric_2_-_225_40R18_92Y_XL_TL_

FYI, €150 each included fitting / balancing, and was from a tyre place so there was no waiting for delivery etc...

I know what my next set of tyres are going to be :D

SH - to be honest, good and all as Kumhos are, if I had known about these Goodyears at the time, I would have gone with them instead.

• Advertisement

Sitting here in work listening to this:

I'm happy :D

EDIT: To keep this on-topic, I drove to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Sitting here in work listening to this:

I'm happy :D

Have to admit, I've really gone off that kind of thing in recent times. It's just too mish-mashed sounding. Nearly as if it was a mash-up already, but with only one song. :P

I'm loving this Porter Robinson track though, it's actually being really pushed mainstream wise which is good for his exposure too, but also brings with it the tween crowd and the T4 on the beach performances. :o

dar83 wrote: »
    Have to admit, I've really gone off that kind of thing in recent times.

You've got the ghey :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

MM really surprised you never heard of the Goodyear F1's..!
    Maybe too much time spent washing the motor :)

I've had them on the ST and found them great.
    Have hankook ventus V12 Evos on it now and imo they are just as good. And a bit cheaper...

mik_da_man wrote: »
    MM really surprised you never heard of the Goodyear F1's..!
    Maybe too much time spent washing the motor :)

I've had them on the ST and found them great.
    Have hankook ventus V12 Evos on it now and imo they are just as good. And a bit cheaper...

I've heard of them alright.

Any time I get tyres, I ask for good ones in a certain price range. Always around the price of those but I've never been given them before. On the RX8 I had Maxxis and the MPS has Kumho. I was happy with both :D

Never ask for good within a certain range. Do some research ya bum! :P

• Advertisement

I went into the Models forum, thinking it was Motors...I thought all you guys had gone crazy!!

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    I went into the Models forum, thinking it was Motors...I thought all you guys had gone crazy!!

Some of us ARE handsome enough to be there also, but we're modest enough to just hang out here... :cool:

:p

Never ask for good within a certain range. Do some research ya bum! :P

They fvcken worked for me ya ape!
    Some of us ARE handsome enough to be there also, but we're modest enough to just hang out here... :cool:

It's a hard life but we're enjoying it :D

Yeah, those Hornby engines are fairly handsome :P

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    Yeah, those Hornby engines are fairly handsome :P

Well you're right with the first syllable in that word anyway. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement