Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Its his choice to keep them not yours. Why not tell the trawlers to release their catches aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

shblob wrote: »
    Its his choice to keep them not yours. Why not tell the trawlers to release their catches aswell?
    Where in my post did i tell him not to keep them?

And where did i say he doesn't have a choice?

Of course he has the choice, if he didn't have a choice then it obviously wouldn't be up for discussion.

I simply suggested he throw a few back sometimes, instead of keeping every single fish he catches.

Also, i clearly presume he fishes recreationally rather than making a living from it, so your suggestion for me to tell trawlers to release their catches is ridiculously unrelated.

My first trout, and it was on the fly. What an experience, flyfishing is unreal.

Rainbow_trout.jpg?t=1282430368

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Rycn wrote: »
    My first trout, and it was on the fly. What an experience, flyfishing is unreal.

Rainbow_trout.jpg?t=1282430368
    I envy you. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

where did you catch it,,congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of fly fishing!!!! its an adiction lol,,,it seem small to be a normal stockie in a still water fishery,was wondering did it come from a river??? an escapee from a farm perhaps???? just wondering,,well done

• Advertisement

cj salmon wrote: »
    where did you catch it,,congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of fly fishing!!!! its an adiction lol,,,it seem small to be a normal stockie in a still water fishery,was wondering did it come from a river??? an escapee from a farm perhaps???? just wondering,,well done
    Thanks CJ :)

Bohernabreena resevoir in Tallaght, Dublin. It a small enough lake, no river draining into it, gets stocked every year.

It went a bit mad, i didnt let him tire i just dragged him ashore, felt bad for the poor guy i didnt have a net and the bloody hook wouldnt come out for ages, he swam off alright though.

Just didnt want to let him get away, i caught one a couple hours before that and it felt far bigger, but he threw the hook so i wasnt taking a chance by playing this one.

Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Nice one! Fly fishing is great when your catching:D

skipz wrote: »
    Nice one! Fly fishing is great when your catching:D
    Yep, first time out flyfishing, only a little casting practice in the local park and i got two fish, if i can do it anyone can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

What did that monster weigh? Is that your PB?

were not sure on weight as we didn't have a scales on board and were anxious to get him back before he came to harm.... ( or before he devoured us)

I cant claim the fish though.... hence title lough O'Flynn Pike... not Macspowers PB :(

I'm gettting myself a 25 this year though...

I posted it on another forum at the time to get an idea of weight and experienced pikers estimated anywhere from 18lb to 27 lb..

I think it was 25

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

Thanks CJ :)

Bohernabreena resevoir in Tallaght, Dublin. It a small enough lake, no river draining into it, gets stocked every year.

It went a bit mad, i didnt let him tire i just dragged him ashore, felt bad for the poor guy i didnt have a net and the bloody hook wouldnt come out for ages, he swam off alright though.

Just didnt want to let him get away, i caught one a couple hours before that and it felt far bigger, but he threw the hook so i wasnt taking a chance by playing this one.

Delighted.

I have fished bohernabreena early in the season,,nice lake,,prefer the wildies meself but its a nice spot up there,havnt been up since march!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Where in my post did i tell him not to keep them?

And where did i say he doesn't have a choice?

Of course he has the choice, if he didn't have a choice then it obviously wouldn't be up for discussion.

I simply suggested he throw a few back sometimes, instead of keeping every single fish he catches.

Also, i clearly presume he fishes recreationally rather than making a living from it, so your suggestion for me to tell trawlers to release their catches is ridiculously unrelated.

well said....the dublinski lads know nothing of conservation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Head mounted camera?? brother has one for his motorbike.

well said....the dublinski lads know nothing of conservation.
    I know about conservation alright but seeing as there are no laws for keeping fish from the sea I can't see his problem.

I know about conservation alright but seeing as there are no laws for keeping fish from the sea I can't see his problem.
    I have no problem with keeping fish, so maybe thats why you cant see it.

Killing piles of fish that you have no use for, now i'd definitely have a problem with that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

A lot of sea anglers freeze surplus mackerel during summer, for use as bait during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Where did you get this idea from?? And i know were talking about rod caught fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

two of my first wild fish, little brownies caught on the rye. Took a size 18 white moth. :D Caught 5 in all so good days fishing! Just wish I had lighter gear to play them a bit better

thehamo wrote: »
    two of my first wild fish, little brownies caught on the rye. Took a size 18 white moth. :D Caught 5 in all so good days fishing! Just wish I had lighter gear to play them a bit better
    The first ones a beauty man, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

River Lagan. Legered maggot on a 14 hook and 1oz quivertip. 1 foot of water.

4927919634_bd007cfdc0_z.jpg

• Advertisement

Tzetze wrote: »
    River Lagan. Legered maggot on a 14 hook and 1oz quivertip. 1 foot of water.

4927919634_bd007cfdc0_z.jpg
    Tut Tut, Maggots :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Tut Tut, pre-flys :D

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Drake66

No offence mate but theres definitely no need to keep all of them, why not throw some back after you catch them?

Considering there are two rods there I assume that is the combo of two mackie hauls; I wouldn't say therefore that it was an excessive amount of fish to have kept by any means. As someone else said, he could of been using some for bait or perhaps he may of been keeping them for the freezer; macks keep exceptionally well in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

No offence mate but theres definitely no need to keep all of them, why not throw some back after you catch them?

Hi ryan the reason i kept them is the fishing on the east cost tends to be sh1t to be honest. Im a lover of makeral and i still have some in the freezer we caught these on friday and on saturday when we went fishing we returned most of the catch only on sunday did we keep a few more. The above was between two of us. That makes only 35 makeral each *think it was 70*. not really a hole lot to be honest!
    These are purley for eating i dont fish during the winter due to shooting !

elius wrote: »
    Hi ryan the reason i kept them is the fishing on the east cost tends to be sh1t to be honest. Im a lover of makeral and i still have some in the freezer we caught these on friday and on saturday when we went fishing we returned most of the catch only on sunday did we keep a few more. The above was between two of us. That makes only 35 makeral each *think it was 70*. not really a hole lot to be honest!
    These are purley for eating i dont fish during the winter due to shooting !
    Cool man :)

Hope they were tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Caught in Garryhill Lake in Carlow, on a DI5 sinking line and Orange Booby...

4941112860_42eb7dc835_b.jpg

I think its safe to say, he at all the pies :)

Trout I caught in castlecoote, river suck. First one appears to have been attacked by a pike. I uploaded this mainly because of the second one. It looks like a perch but with closer examination it has a trouts spots and broown colour (May not be noticeable in photo). Perch/Trout hybrid?

Pretty sure the second ones a perch.

Too bad for the first guy he was a nice fish :(

• Advertisement

Pretty sure the second ones a perch.

Too bad for the first guy he was a nice fish :(
    Yeah the first one was the biggest I've caught there, good fight on him too. The second one is DEFINATELY not a perch as I had caught a perch earlier a few mins before I caught him and compared them. He looks like it in the picture though.

Advertisement