Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Not to suggest that it isn't a f up.
    But it is still awesome that someone would make that kind of effort for your birthday.
    I think they deserved some kind of explanation tbh.
    They are only trying to please you.

I've been veggie for 25 years and made my issues made known many times before. At this stage it is taking the proverbial. There's also a bit more to it which makes it worse. Even my most ardent meat eating friends are scratching their heads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's ridiculous tbh, do they know you at all like...

Report back on that restaurant moonbaby, sounds nice! There was a fabulous one in barcelona. It's really nice to have a fancy vegetarian restaurant.

How's everybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Hoping there is going to be lots of Milka in Austria too :P

Is Milka vegetarian? There's nothing on the label saying so and when I tried looking online I found a page saying no but not why. I'm going to go fully veggie when I get home and I'd like to know if I can shove a load in my suitcase or not. (Based on the amount of Milka in Spain there will be loooooaaaaaads in Austria).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I would have said Milka would be veggie, however I googled a little a found this,.
    http://www.evi.com/q/is_milka_vegetarian

This doesn't make sense? Whey powder I thought was derived from the cheese making process but before the contact with rennet?

EDIT: Just researched a bit more there, IT seems Whey can come with rennet or without, some brands use rennet in their way, Mars were about to change to rennet whey but changed their mind, see here "http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6673549.stm"

SO it seems MILKA could infact use Whey that contains calf rennet, You could email them yourself to make double sure, but it seems :(

2ND EDIT:
    http://www.foodguide.org.uk/?page=viewquestion&id=237

it is listed here as calf rennet

tricky D wrote: »
    I've been veggie for 25 years and made my issues made known many times before. At this stage it is taking the proverbial. There's also a bit more to it which makes it worse. Even my most ardent meat eating friends are scratching their heads.

Sounds messy. :/

That's ridiculous tbh, do they know you at all like...

Report back on that restaurant moonbaby, sounds nice! There was a fabulous one in barcelona. It's really nice to have a fancy vegetarian restaurant.

How's everybody?

Oh Was it the Organic place?
    Did you like barcelona.....I've been meaning to go back.
    My friend went earlier this year, she said it a little rough now. :(

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I would have said Milka would be veggie, however I googled a little a found this,.
    http://www.evi.com/q/is_milka_vegetarian

This doesn't make sense? Whey powder I thought was derived from the cheese making process but before the contact with rennet?

EDIT: Just researched a bit more there, IT seems Whey can come with rennet or without, some brands use rennet in their way, Mars were about to change to rennet whey but changed their mind, see here "http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6673549.stm"

SO it seems MILKA could infact use Whey that contains calf rennet, You could email them yourself to make double sure, but it seems :(

2ND EDIT:
    http://www.foodguide.org.uk/?page=viewquestion&id=237

it is listed here as calf rennet

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not my Milka! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Anything but the Milka! :(

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not my Milka! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Anything but the Milka! :(

I know, It's a dark day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh Was it the Organic place?
    Did you like barcelona.....I've been meaning to go back.
    My friend went earlier this year, she said it a little rough now. :(
    It was called http://www.teresacarles.com/
    Pics may be seen bottom half of this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80742878&postcount=76
    and this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80742897&postcount=77

Nicest place I've ever eaten by a mile, they had their own brands of oil, balsamic vinegar, wine etc which was cool. Drooling thinking about it. Even that cheese cake with honey candied walnuts was the nicest dessert I;ve ever had.

Barcelona was great! Was there a week and didn't get to do a fraction of all the things or see a lot of things. Would love to go back, was really fun. Cheap 4 star hotel too! A lot of people do get robbed but I'd say it's their own fault, sure nobody even stood close enough to me to rob me while I was there. My brother did see somebody getting robbed when he was there but that is because people just leave wallets/cameras on their table...outside. At night it was just mostly people asking us if we wanted to 'disco party' and selling us beer.

there was a great nightclub there razzmatazz, had 5 types of music dancefloors and a few floors in the building. They open so late there.

I'd go back if I was you! Can't wait to myself, it's also nice being warm!

MILKA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The absolute mess of worms I've opened by starting a thread entitled "any vegans on here" in health & fitness. O well, I should know better than to mention Vegan or Vegetarian anywhere outside of this forum.

I emailed a restaurant ages ago about one of the 'vegetarian' pasta dishes including pesto. they thanked me for letting them know and said they had already updated the menus in the restaurant and would be updating the site menus soon. Was on the site today seeing if there were any vacancies (there weren't :( ) and decided to check the menu. Sure enough the vegetarian pasta no longer contains pesto...but they've got a new vegetarian pizza which does. >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

hi guys, sorry i havnt posted here in aaaages :o

had to tell yiz, you know pie minister? they have pies in supervalu!! the veggie pie is nyom! bet this is well known but im super excited to get one :D

pie \o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

The Heidi Pie??? ZOMG i am obsessed! I could only see them in Superquinn for ages, recent;y seen them in Dunnes, but not the veggie pie. Also last year they had a christmas veggie pie, can't remember the name but it was nice!

I looked at those before, considered ordering them from the uk lol. Look really nice.

yep, girl in work brought the packaging in to prove it to me! it was definitely a heidi!

i cant wait to go to supervalu!!

seen these in dunnes the other day, I was curious. Based on your nyoms, I will have to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

They stock 'em in Nolans Clontarf also!

Saw one in superquin, 4.25 for one smallish pie, they can keep their pie :p

Just had one of these, 28g for 2e is steep but it was lovely!

http://www.primalspiritfoods.com

They are a vegan seitan jerky, I got a kinda spicy satay one.

10g of protein in that bad boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

milka's not vegetarian :-o

Did anyone go to the craft fair in the rds, if you haven't gone yet you should go, it's awesome, I wanted ALL the things :D

damn you milka. damn you to hell.

• Advertisement

--LOS-- wrote: »
    milka's not vegetarian :-o

Did anyone go to the craft fair in the rds, if you haven't gone yet you should go, it's awesome, I wanted ALL the things :D

oh id love to go but id be the same, id want all the things!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Is interesting a good thing MoN?

I'm grand too. Off to Vienna the week after next.
    According to trip advisor, the best restaurant in the city is veggie.

http://www.tian-vienna.com/

Never been to a proper sit down, vegetarian place. Well unless you count Juice.
    So I'm really excited.

Hoping there is going to be lots of Milka in Austria too :P

How is everyone today?
    Missed this, sorry! Interesting in a good way, since it's quick to prepare, and just needs some veggies, seasoning and a sauce of some kind to give it flavour. Hope Vienna was fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Very quiet in here. Did I miss something? :eek:

Tis quiet.

Everyone set for a fun veggie xmas? I dunno what I'm doing I might just pick up a veggie roast majigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Any ideas for a veggie starter? I'm not keen on cutting up butternut squash for a soup!

T'is quiet, aye!

For a starter, I would love some potato cakes :D

• Advertisement

hmm potato cakes. or how about some hummus with a tasty bread? or some stuffed mushrooms.

Had my first experience eating out as a vegetarian today. Wasn't planned, Mum and Dad were going and since I knew the place always had one veggie option on the menu I said I'd come too. They were vegetable spring rolls and there was no description whatsoever, didn't even say what vegetables were in them. They were alright though, I've had worse food. Were unusually spicy for spring rolls though.

I think spring rolls are a lazy main course.
    I wouldn't be impressed tbh.
    At least you liked them though.

Exactly. Once you liked it, then that's alright!

Spring rolls, or any pasta dish are normally the lazy main courses, oh add risotto in there too as a lazy dish. Lots of times, those spring rolls will be spicier because they would lack in flavour otherwise, which stems from probably not knowing how to prepare them in the kitchen.

There are LOTS more places with different veggie mains out there, hopefully you get to sample them :)

Oh it was definitely lazy, especially when they were served with chips and salad, not something I'd personally put with spring rolls myself. I was just glad the one vegetarian main was something I would eat.

I'm glad I live near to Galway city so when planned I've got plenty of options on where to eat out. Not much choice locally. I think a nearby café has a fair few vegetarian options. The two hotels (who most likely are catering to a larger and more varied clientele) do not. I know a lot of chefs dislike vegetarians but I think it's just good business sense to cater well to them regardless of their personal opinions.

• Advertisement

Anyone have those Linda McCartney Mozzarella quarter pounders before?
    They're actually the nicest burgers I think I've ever eaten.

yeah i love them so much but they dont sell them in tesco near me now :/

I tried these this week. Not bad at all.
    My mam loved them. :)

My meating eating parents looooooove those burgers. Has anyone seen the Quorn meatballs anywhere? Haven't seen them myself for months, time to say goodbye I fear :(

There was new pies the other day in tescos. I had a linda mccartney country pie and there were quorn chicken and leek. I always find Mccartneys stuff nicer than quorn. also the pies were vegan.

They're a bit lame though because the old pack had 4 in them for the same price.

They're a bit lame though because the old pack had 4 in them for the same price.

which the quorn?

the LM ones is a 4 pack.

Oh yeah must be the quorn ones, think they added leek too and then put in half the pies!

It is so easy to make a pie yourself.
    Tesco and Aldi have fresh ready rolled shortcrust pastry, cheap as chips.

ah yeah, i only use quorn or LM when i'm feelin lazy

• Advertisement

yeah very rare I want to make a pie, they are emergency back up food like pizza! nomnomnom

Just came across a recipe that asks for smoked tofu. Anyone know is that available in Galway?

Just came across a recipe that asks for smoked tofu. Anyone know is that available in Galway?

I'm sure it is. You'll find it in any half decent healthfood shop.

Thanks, with the weather the way it is I don't like heading into town to look for stuff that I have no chance of finding so thought I'd ask first.

What are you making?

Carbonara.

My Mum's support over my vegetarianism seems to have began to dwindle. Was at my granny's today and my uncle gave me a Bulmers despite me saying I really didn't want one (I didn't bother trying to explain it's not suitable for vegetarians' 'cause I knew they wouldn't really get it and probably take the piss). I thought maybe I could choke it down but one sip made me feel terrible so it got left behind. Mum didn't seem to like this (even though her suggestion was pour ir down the sink). And just now she said she's cooking some savoury rice and would I like some but I said I couldn't since it had chicken fat in it to which she replied 'But you're not doing it for religious reasons.' I'm a bit disappointed, she was so supportive to start off with. :( I'm not sure what started this off, I've been doing all my own cooking and shopping and haven't inconvenienced her as far as I can see. I'm hoping to go vegan in March as well so bit worried about how she'll take that.

Carbonara.

My Mum's support over my vegetarianism seems to have began to dwindle. Was at my granny's today and my uncle gave me a Bulmers despite me saying I really didn't want one (I didn't bother trying to explain it's not suitable for vegetarians' 'cause I knew they wouldn't really get it and probably take the piss). I thought maybe I could choke it down but one sip made me feel terrible so it got left behind. Mum didn't seem to like this (even though her suggestion was pour ir down the sink). And just now she said she's cooking some savoury rice and would I like some but I said I couldn't since it had chicken fat in it to which she replied 'But you're not doing it for religious reasons.' I'm a bit disappointed, she was so supportive to start off with. :( I'm not sure what started this off, I've been doing all my own cooking and shopping and haven't inconvenienced her as far as I can see. I'm hoping to go vegan in March as well so bit worried about how she'll take that.

My mum was like this too, and still is when she's in one of her moods. I think it partly stems from her nurturing instinct, where she might usually cook in the house for the family, your independent dietary choices have compromised that and she might not fully understand or comprehend your decision. Perhaps at the weekends or once a week you could prepare an interesting veggie dish for the family. I know my mum and others would find vegetarianism confusing and maybe view it as a sort of a exclusive, yuppie lifestyle that costs more money because to make a good dish it usually takes a lot more preparation (my mum doesn't like me being in the kitchen preparing my food), which isn't true.

I know its difficult but you just have to smile and stick with your beliefs, in the long term they'll have a measure of respect for you, for having stuck with it.

RE: Bulmers
    does it contain carmine colouring which is derived from Cochineal insects? I never drank it so I wasn't aware of it not being veg.
    I know some other drinks use some form of beta carotene for colouring which again is from some animal source.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    RE: Bulmers
    does it contain carmine colouring which is derived from Cochineal insects? I never drank it so I wasn't aware of it not being veg.
    I know some other drinks use some form of beta carotene for colouring which again is from some animal source.

I imagine it is filtered with an agent that is made from fish bone Islinglass.
    It wouldn't actually contain traces of the agent.
    Alot of beers and wines are made this way.
    As alot of fruit and vegetables are fertilized with blood and bone meal also.
    You have to draw your line somewhere. I chose not to worry about it.
    It seems a shame to discriminate again a pint, when your letting a tomato off scot free. ;)

• Advertisement

ah im not worried about drink, because I don't drink. Just curious. It's amazing how some processes you'd never imagine involve animals in some way.

Advertisement