Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

gerryk wrote: »
    Not to mention hotplug if you install the third-party firmware.

Is that more a limiation of the original BIOS rather than a feature of the new bios? I know any sata Pc I tried it with (admittedly not that many) worked fine

Either way it works wiht the updated BIOS, which is all I care about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Is there cash back available on the Gen8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Is there cash back available on the Gen8?

Have not seen any but I am thinking of holding off to see if a better deal comes up for the n54L or if a deal for the Gen8 comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Looks I might go for the N54L instead. Dabs.ie stating "ordered upon request", anybody know how long of a wait to expect?

Also, if I want to buy 2 should I get them purchased seperately to get double cash back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭ShayC

I actually asked this yesterday, here's the response from Dabs:

"I've checked the stock levels, and our Suppliers have more than enough stock showing, therefore the order should be invoiced before the end of Jan."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I have a N36L with a N40L chassis and HDD (250GB) spare if anyone is interested. I had bought both but I decided I only need the one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

Just about to buy this on Dabs, pretty much for use with Plex and to store personal files and photos. Had previously bought a normal NAS thinking it would work with plex or xbmc but no such luck.

I am going to put two 2TB drives with raid. Could anyone tell me if just a normal hd will do -
    WD - 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green by Western Digital
    Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008YAHW6I
    or
    Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive by Seagate
    Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006H32Q3S

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

kungfual wrote: »
    Just about to buy this on Dabs, pretty much for use with Plex and to store personal files and photos. Had previously bought a normal NAS thinking it would work with plex or xbmc but no such luck.

I am going to put two 2TB drives with raid. Could anyone tell me if just a normal hd will do -
    WD - 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green by Western Digital
    Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008YAHW6I
    or
    Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive by Seagate
    Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006H32Q3S

Thanks

Any 3.5 inch will work fine. I like the WD red discs - a bit more expensive, but they're designed for NAS work but cheaper than a server drive.

Great thanks - exactly what I was looking for. Would have gone mad if I just bought the normal drives..

Approx. €5 more on Dabs than amazon so I'll stick with Dabs for the lot
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/wd-2tb-red-sata-6gb-s-64mb-3-5--hard-drive-8601.html?q=2tb%20red%20hard%20drive&src=16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

stimpson wrote: »
    Any 3.5 inch will work fine. I like the WD red discs - a bit more expensive, but they're designed for NAS work but cheaper than a server drive.

The Reds are preferable, but the Green is a good second option, and is a good bit cheaper. The main difference is an improved MTBF, but the quoted figure for the Green is 300,000 hours, so if you plan on keeping the drive spinning for >35 years, you might want to reconsider.

If you use the Green, there are some firmware tweaks to reduce spin-down, which ensures that there is less latency in general usage, and at a small cost of ~ .5 - 1W extra.

I have 2 configured as RAID1, and have around 200 days uptime right now with no issues.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I have a N36L with a N40L chassis and HDD (250GB) spare if anyone is interested. I had bought both but I decided I only need the one now.

What's the difference between the N36L and N40L chassis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Jonathan wrote: »
    What's the difference between the N36L and N40L chassis?

None, its just the proc and some cosmetic differences.

Noooooooooooooo it's gone from Dabs...
    emailed customer service to ask about it, they replied
    "It would appear that the item you have mentioned has been removed from the site.
    I am sorry that I haven't really been able to assist you on this matter, if I can help further, please let me know. "

I know it's Pixmania and they might not have the cashback offer but might not need it... Could someone tell me if this is the same server

http://www.pixmania.ie/server/hp-proliant-g7-n54l-1p-2gb-u-non-hot-plug-sata-250gb-150w-ps-microserver/21276765-a.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It is yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭long_b

kungfual wrote: »
    Noooooooooooooo it's gone from Dabs...
    emailed customer service to ask about it, they replied

I know it's Pixmania and they might not have the cashback offer but might not need it... Could someone tell me if this is the same server

http://www.pixmania.ie/server/hp-proliant-g7-n54l-1p-2gb-u-non-hot-plug-sata-250gb-150w-ps-microserver/21276765-a.html

Amazon works out at 190 ish including PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-704941-421-ProLiant-Server-Generation/dp/B00AHQUX86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390564535&sr=8-1&keywords=G7+N54L

• Advertisement

Amazon lists the seller as MiniPrice Express and Pixmania's seller is Miniprice..

Amazon: €190 approx.. incl shipping (PM)
    Pixmania : €178 incl shipping

can you get the cashback with either?

You wont get cashback off either (they are the same seller)

Misco should be ok (confirm first!) - €223 + P&P

• Registered Users Posts: 20 szafa

Hi

I have for sale two N54L if someone is interested. They are brand new.

http://www.adverts.ie/servers/hp-microserver-g7-n54l/4699557

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭CurlyEng

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hey guys,

Is there a particular seller offering the rebate?

I put email enquiry into rebate management company as to whether misco are in Ireland: they are in the uk.

This offer not visible in the uk yet so misco may be seen as uk reseller.

P.s. T+c says you got to use irish reseller. Pity 3 listed ones are > 330 euro and 100 more expensive than others in uk

The T&C does say that ok, but I have used ebuyer before and got the cashback, I also asked about dabs.ie who are not on the list and they were ok too.

That €120 cashback is almost too good to turn down! Your home server has to have some redundancy... right!?

The T&C does say that ok, but I have used ebuyer before and got the cashback, I also asked about dabs.ie who are not on the list and they were ok too.

That €120 cashback is almost too good to turn down! Your home server has to have some redundancy... right!?

Dabs .ie = €439.22 :eek:

vectra wrote: »
    Dabs .ie = €439.22 :eek:

They were €220 when I ordered 2 weeks ago :/

They were €220 when I ordered 2 weeks ago :/

Bit crazy aint it.
    Better off buying one from amazon for under 190. :(

Can everyone please make sure NOT to mention to anyone in, say, misco.ie that the rebate has gone up ?
    I'd be worried that they'll hike the price up to compensate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭nitros7

No need to as you just did! :)
    long_b wrote: »
    Can everyone please make sure NOT to mention to anyone in, say, misco.ie that the rebate has gone up ?
    I'd be worried that they'll hike the price up to compensate.

nitros7 wrote: »
    No need to as you just did! :)

Debatable.

Hopefully they won't cop between now and Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭nitros7

FYI from the helpcare email

***co are indeed a HP Preferred partner so you would be eligible to apply for the cashback, even if you buy in the UK and have it shipped to Ireland. You just need to complete the Irish claim form it you want your cashback in euro’s or the UK claim form if you want it in GBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 twigsirl

CurlyEng wrote: »
    I put email enquiry into rebate management company as to whether misco are in Ireland: they are in the uk.

This offer not visible in the uk yet so misco may be seen as uk reseller.

I bought a Proliant from misco.ie a few months back and got me cheque for €120 without a problem, perhaps on 1st February all the vendor websites will get updated?

You could drop an email to promotions@out-bound.co.uk (from the pdf a few posts up) and ask for clarification, they responded to me in a timely fashion when I had queries previously.

***co are indeed a HP Preferred partner so you would be eligible to apply for the cashback, even if you buy in the UK and have it shipped to Ireland. You just need to complete the Irish claim form it you want your cashback in euro’s or the UK claim form if you want it in GBP.
    I've had a similar reply.

Now... We wait ...

Happy days, this widens the pool a good bit then...

You can almost heat the baited breath. Mi$co.ie automated order 12:01 Saturday morning...

Which OS are people using /going to use?
    Anyone use one for plex to stream to a Now TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

I bought of Dabs.ie this month and the other day got email confirming rebate had been approved.

Which OS are people using /going to use?
    Anyone use one for plex to stream to a Now TV?

Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop (also had 12.04 server, desktop is probably easier if you are new to Linux)

Yup, works great

ah frig, link I had saved on Mi$co says product no longer exists...

CurlyEng wrote: »
    ah frig, link I had saved on Mi$co says product no longer exists...

Ah BALLS.
    Caught trying to be too clever.
    Lools like we should have ordered with the 50 or 60 quid off :(
    Hindsight, eh ?

• Advertisement

Y3s: have not scoured around yet. Only hope will be UK website selling at relatively reasonable prices.
    Ah BALLS.
    Caught trying to be too clever.
    Lools like we should have ordered with the 50 or 60 quid off :(
    Hindsight, eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

I bought mine here: Serversplus using parcel motel and got my E120 cashback last september no problem.

• Lads can some explain the appeal of this to me in layman's terms? At the moment I have a Pi acting as a NAS and also running SABnzbd, CouchPotato and SickBeard. Is this just a Pi like that but on steroids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭positron

Apart from having more processing power than Pi, I suppose it's a box that neatly holds everything, hard drive bays etc and can you add much RAM to Pi board? This is a proper server box with all the upgrade potential...

• Cheers. It's the size of it though. Small yes but not as small as a Pi. Do people really have these wired to their modem in the living room? Surely the wife would have a fit! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

What's a modem? Is it the nineties again?

• Advertisement

Lads can some explain the appeal of this to me in layman's terms? At the moment I have a Pi acting as a NAS and also running SABnzbd, CouchPotato and SickBeard. Is this just a Pi like that but on steroids?

It's a Microserver. So it's like a server, but smaller, yet bigger than than a nanoserver.

I have mine in my mancave, which has 4 Cat5e network points leading down to a patch panel behind the TV. My wife is quite reasonable.

Cheers. It's the size of it though. Small yes but not as small as a Pi. Do people really have these wired to their modem in the living room? Surely the wife would have a fit! :D

Mines in the attic connected with a powerline adapter. I guess the issue with the PI is the amount of stuff you'd have hanging off it if you wanted to connect multiple drives. It also would not handle plex.

It would use a decent bit more power than a PI too, something consider.
    rovoagho wrote: »
    What's a modem? Is it the nineties again?

The 56K Modem you are talking about was a modem, but so are the boxes you get from Eircom, UPC even mobile broadband sticks are modems. They are often reffered to as routers, but that is something separate. Your modem doesnt need to be your router, but it most cases they are both in the one box.

Mines in the attic connected with a powerline adapter. I guess the issue with the PI is the amount of stuff you'd have hanging off it if you wanted to connect multiple drives. It also would not handle plex.

It would use a decent bit more power than a PI too, something consider.

I'd be wary about keeping it in the attic - someone on here had temperature issues in the summer -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85445988

And it uses a bit more power than a Pi, but it does power several hard drives. I'd say the total consumption wouldn't be much more than a Pi with external drives.

• Thanks all....except rovoagho! :p

stimpson wrote: »
    I'd be wary about keeping it in the attic - someone on here had temperature issues in the summer -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85445988

And it uses a bit more power than a Pi, but it does power several hard drives. I'd say the total consumption wouldn't be much more than a Pi with external drives.

Don't worry, the attic is terribly insulated :P

With powerline though its great it can be moved anywhere really handily, all it needs is power.

• Advertisement
Advertisement