Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two HD on Sky [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

mad muffin wrote: »
    I'm not going to go out and buy an aerial, get someone to install it and run the cable then go out and buy a set top box, just for a few new rte channels when my free sky hd box is perfectly adequate at doing the job.

And there are plenty more out there like me.
    Your choice. For now, you are not losing anything because RTÉ have decided to make a HD version of their channel for the time being on one platform.
    There are probably a good amount of people that would be happy to ditch sky now, they know they can get he fta uk channels and would be somewhat peeved that they can't get the new rte ones, unless they buy yet more equipment. Even though their current sky hd box can do the job.
    I'm sure there is. However I've been through this argument many times before on this board... RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 on Sky is via a commercial agreement where Sky pretty much covers all transmission costs. This arrangement is quite different to that of the BBC, ITV, Channels 4 & 5 where they pay their own uplink costs, EPG placement and transponder leasing. As far as RTÉ is concerned, reception of their services via Sky is the same as that via cable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not going to go out and buy an aerial, get someone to install it and run the cable then go out and buy a set top box, just for a few new rte channels when my free sky hd box is perfectly adequate at doing the job.

Most people won't need to get a new aerial or cables. Your existing aerial and cable will work just fine. Most people will just need a new set top box and most people should be able to fit it themselves. No installer required.

Of course if you are happy paying Sky minimum €22 per month, then you don't need to worry about this.

However many people will be happy to save some money over Sky, specially when used in-conjunction with Freesat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Well i am about 70km from nearest mast and i pick up crystal clear Saorview with bunny ears on window.
    The Saorview network is technically designed in mind for rooftop aerial reception, not for portable or indoor as a few countries do. However the powers being used should mean that in strong signal areas indoor reception should be more feasible compared to analogue reception.

If you're 70km LOS from your window to the transmitter, I'd say that you must have a clear path to it without any major obstructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Anyway some heres the aerial i use any its in the corner of my bedroom
    IMG_0316.jpg?t=1306504647

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Tidy up that room !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

greendom wrote: »
    Tidy up that room !!

Its just there where the mess is you can get of the floor in my bedroom its that clean !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

bk wrote: »
    Most people won't need to get a new aerial or cables. Your existing aerial and cable will work just fine. Most people will just need a new set top box and most people should be able to fit it themselves. No installer required.

Of course if you are happy paying Sky minimum €22 per month, then you don't need to worry about this.

However many people will be happy to save some money over Sky, specially when used in-conjunction with Freesat.

Many houses don't have aerials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Could they not add an aerial if needed?

Besides Saorview is a service intended to replace the existing analogue terrestrial network. Anyone using that will already have an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

any word WHEN RTE 2 HD will be on SKY ? I have a Philips TV with a digital decoder in it and cant get RTE 2 HD .. I can get a lot of the UK channels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

aindriu80 wrote: »
    any word WHEN RTE 2 HD will be on SKY ? I have a Philips TV with a digital decoder in it and cant get RTE 2 HD .. I can get a lot of the UK channels though.

RTÉ told the Oireachtas Communications Committee that HD content would be exclusive to Saorview initially. They did not say for how long.

Presumably Sky will have to enter into negotiations with RTÉ, as well as ironing out technical aspects such as signal uplink etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I hope it doesn't take them too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

RTE wasn't on Sky (digital) at all for a number of years after the service launched here. Sky 1 was the first channel in the guide. These things take time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Aerials are becoming increasingly common around Dublin suburbs! Where once it was rare to see a TV aerial in Dublin, there's quite a few houses around my estate have put up aerials pointed at Three Rock alongside a dish quite recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Diving Board

Noffles wrote: »
    RTE is utter drivel and on Sky I think I may of brushed past it a couple of times that's it since it was made available... ****e in HD is still ****e... just it's High Definition ****e... =)
    Post of the thread!

As voted by you?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Diving Board

lol:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Iamseanread

Does anyone know the frequency that RTE TWO HD is using so I can add the channel into my other channels list.?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Does anyone know the frequency that RTE TWO HD is using so I can add the channel into my other channels list.?

Its not carried on satellite and if it was it would be encrypted.

Only available on Saorview DTT using an aerial and a DTT receiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

It's not being broadcast on the Sky platform ... it's on the new digital terrestrial service called "Saorview" which is received via an aerial not through satellite dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Working today so won't get to see the rugby, will someone on here keep us posted on the picture quality?

Ta.

• Advertisement

You've not bothered to read the thread then.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

NIMAN wrote: »
    Working today so won't get to see the rugby, will someone on here keep us posted on the picture quality?

Ta.

337C16D26ABA4FF7AED60D5BFA4DCFD3-0000327676-0002343589-01024L-3E9DE6EF37994BC4A22DB61B8D4A047D.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

truedublad wrote: »
    I have spoken to a number of digital aerial technicians in relation to this and they consider Saorview to be a huge business opportunity for them over the next 18 months.

How I laughed!!!
    Gipo3 wrote: »

Thats great quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Gipo3 wrote: »
    337C16D26ABA4FF7AED60D5BFA4DCFD3-0000327676-0002343589-01024L-3E9DE6EF37994BC4A22DB61B8D4A047D.png
    That's a great picture - Jayzus there's me in the crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Beamobhoy

aindriu80 wrote: »

Email reply i got from RTE today on the subject;

Your query has been forwarded to our Saorview technical office, but in the meantime, I wish to advise that there are no plans at this time to make RTÉ HD available on the Sky platform. It is seen as a service for Saorview users. If no further reply issues to you from our office then rest assured that there are no plans in place at this time to change this situation. Thank you for your query

Kind regards

Brigitte
    RTÉ Information-Communications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Not true. RTE Will offer RTE 2 HD on Sky eventually but want to give Saorview and Saorsat an advantage by keeping the HD service exclusive for the moment.

Bear in mind that most TV companies talk bollix to punters in their correspondence. For example Channel 4 denied they were making C4 HD FTA until it went FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hmm, I'm watching RTE 2 HD with Windows Media Center via a DVB-T dongle.

The picture isn't near as sharp as that screenshot. Is the Saorview a higher res than DVB-T?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm watching RTE 2 HD with Windows Media Center via a DVB-T dongle.

The picture isn't near as sharp as that screenshot. Is the Saorview a higher res than DVB-T?

Saorview is DVB-T

RTÉ Two is upscaling atm. That is why it isn't as sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Saorview is DVB-T

RTÉ Two is upscaling atm. That is why it isn't as sharp.

Oh right. Even the RTE HD logo like isn't as sharp. Is that a screen of what it will look like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Beamobhoy wrote: »
    Email reply i got from RTE today on the subject;

Your query has been forwarded to our Saorview technical office, but in the meantime, I wish to advise that there are no plans at this time to make RTÉ HD available on the Sky platform. It is seen as a service for Saorview users. If no further reply issues to you from our office then rest assured that there are no plans in place at this time to change this situation. Thank you for your query

Kind regards

Brigitte
    RTÉ Information-Communications

That might mean this week or this month.

You need to spot the weasel words. RTE2 HD will be on Sky when Sky wants it.
    It's unlikely at this time that Sky is wanting to spend the extra money on carriage (and technically on encryption. Technically NDS is a separate company).

Advertisement