Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Lads, I got a small issue here. Drives me Crazy.

Friend asked to put a fresh install of windows 7 on hos windows 8 laptop.... So here fun begins.

It does not let me to boot from usb or drive, it just goes to windows. Even if I change order. I read up and managed to disable secure boot UEFI ****, but it still skips both and just loads up windows.
    I want it to pop up that screen where it will let me choose where do I boot from. For the love of god it does not let me to do it. I am hammering F8 with no luck at all...

Almost certainly pointless but have you tried adding an external USB keyboard and tried hammering F8 on that? Never know, key might be stuck or not operating strictly as a Fn key at that point in the boot cycle (it being a laptop and all). And are you certain that the UEFI version on it has F8 as the boot manager? It might say that on the splash... but I've had systems lie to me on that count before...

Otherwise, yeah, that laptop must have a hack that has the main HDD hardwired as the boot device. OEMs are charming...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Solitaire wrote: »
    Almost certainly pointless but have you tried adding an external USB keyboard and tried hammering F8 on that? Never know, key might be stuck or not operating strictly as a Fn key at that point in the boot cycle (it being a laptop and all). And are you certain that the UEFI version on it has F8 as the boot manager? It might say that on the splash... but I've had systems lie to me on that count before...

Otherwise, yeah, that laptop must have a hack that has the main HDD hardwired as the boot device. OEMs are charming...

Right, so with F12 I managed to get a boot menu ( whats was wrong with fecking F8... ). I set USB/CD-DVD as priority, but its not on the list, but a CD/DVD drive is on it. I try to fire it up and it just drops me a boot failure and back to the menu. It does not let me get on to USB stick. No option. I can hear DVD-rom start spinning when I choose it, but as I said it goes in to that failure thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Lads, I got a small issue here. Drives me Crazy.

Friend asked to put a fresh install of windows 7 on hos windows 8 laptop.... So here fun begins.

It does not let me to boot from usb or drive, it just goes to windows. Even if I change order. I read up and managed to disable secure boot UEFI ****, but it still skips both and just loads up windows.
    I want it to pop up that screen where it will let me choose where do I boot from. For the love of god it does not let me to do it. I am hammering F8 with no luck at all...

If the only reason for installing 8 is because she finds the start menu etc. an issue, why not try start is back or classic shell?

Chances are that will do the trick, and save you the hassle & grief of downloading drivers etc.

glynf wrote: »
    If the only reason for installing 8 is because she finds the start menu etc. an issue, why not try start is back or classic shell?

Chances are that will do the trick, and save you the hassle & grief of downloading drivers etc.

Laptop needs a fresh install as there is a ton of crap on it. Thats what I was asked for. As I said, I dont care what are the reasons, just needs to be done.

I am burning a new usb bootable windows 7 yolk. Ill get a a set of blank discs tomorrow and try that too.

So USB is not working. Got a freshly installed proper usb bootable thing done. going to usb stick in boot menu before windows start and it just says boot failure.
    Need to try get DVDs tomorrow after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

So USB is not working. Got a freshly installed proper usb bootable thing done. going to usb stick in boot menu before windows start and it just says boot failure.
    Need to try get DVDs tomorrow after all.

On my samsung laptop there is a weird security lock in the BIOS that prevets you from booting from USB drives. Its a fairly obscure option and took me a while to figure it out.

Try going into the BIOS and go to the Boot Menu.

Does the name of the USB come up in there?

There may be some lock on usb drives or something.

You could try taking pics of options and post them up here.

What make is the laptop btw?

Doge wrote: »
    On my samsung laptop there is a weird security lock in the BIOS that prevenst you from booting from USB drives. Its a fairly obscure option and took me a while to figure it out.

Try going into the BIOS and go to the Boot Menu.

Does the name of the USB come up in there?

There may be some lock on usb drives or something.

You could try taking pics of options and post them up here.

What make is the laptop btw?

Its a fujitsu yolk. I was thinking that too and went through all bios settings and could not find it. It has some usb legacy thing, but its not it. I tried.

Stuff like this is a reason why I hate laptops and fixing them up lol.

Its a fujitsu yolk. I was thinking that too and went through all bios settings and could not find it. It has some usb legacy thing, but its not it. I tried.

Stuff like this is a reason why I hate laptops and fixing them up lol.

Hehe, I see you've adopted the Cork lingo!
    Your lithuanian accent must be gone at this stage too I'd say! :P

The security option in my BIOS was "secure boot," had to disable the fecker.

Hehe, I see you've adopted the Cork lingo!
    Your lithuanian accent must be gone at this stage too I'd say! :P

The security option in my BIOS was "secure boot," had to disable the fecker.

Aye, I am hear 10 years now. You should hear me talk! :D Watching a ton of Dara O'Briain, Tommy Tiernnan and Dylan Moran does not help! :D I dont notice it, but people say I got a strong Cork and north Cork accent now.

The whole secure boot thing is turned off with all UEFI stuff. Still no luck. :(

I cant believe I turned down a night out for this ****... I am watching now Falling down movie.... really fitting in my position now. I feel like punching something after whole evening with this laptop lol.

Update:

Had a fag, good think about my life and where is it going. Then sat down with laptop again and did some digging. Turns out there was some legacy mode that I needed to enable and it worked. Got windows installed.

Sorting out drivers and so far winning. Only 3 left. Two unknown amd PCI family controller. Can't get those sorted now, but laptop looks like perfectly working with no issues.
    fujitsu website and support is pretty much ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Headshot wrote: »
    Nice one

Just got the free trial there and running team speak server.

Was piss easy to setup

Any good tips or tutorials? Going to try this tomorrow. Also if anyone knows if this could be used to run mount&blade or Minecraft server.

I won, **** you Laptop. I can go to bed now as I got work tomorrow. My OCD will be a downfall of mine...

DSC_1058_zpsfpjr8ybk.jpg

Update:

Had a fag, good think about my life and where is it going. Then sat down with laptop again and did some digging. Turns out there was some legacy mode that I needed to enable and it worked. Got windows installed.

Sorting out drivers and so far winning. Only 3 left. Two unknown amd PCI family controller. Can't get those sorted now, but laptop looks like perfectly working with no issues.
    fujitsu website and support is pretty much ****.

Haha, nothing like a philosophical contemplation to solve an I.T. problem!

To identify the remaining 3 bits of hardware, follow this guide:

http://www.computerrepairtips.net/finding-drivers-for-unknown-devices/

Then go find the drivers for each device.

Haha, nothing like a philosophical contemplation to solve an I.T. problem!

To identify the remaining 3 bits of hardware, follow this guide:

http://www.computerrepairtips.net/finding-drivers-for-unknown-devices/

Then go find the drivers for each device.

All sorted, check the post above :D Now bed!!!

P.s thanks for help everyone! Really helped me and was the reason I did sorted that sucker out.

All sorted, check the post above :D Now bed!!!

P.s thanks for help everyone! Really helped me and was the reason I did sorted that sucker out.

Whoops, i should have copped on from the screenshot that there was no exlamation marks!

The hardware ID method is very handy for finding specific drivers, worth remembering!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Nice one

Was piss easy to setup
    its good but be careful though it'll just start charging you once the year is up. you can use it as a vpn as well

• Registered Users Posts: 53,915 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

its good but be careful though it'll just start charging you once the year is up. you can use it as a vpn as well

I presume I can cancel it when the year is up anyway

On another note

Anyone know how will the clean install of windows 10 work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I presume I can cancel it when the year is up anyway
    yeah just be sure you remember to do it, they don't send an email or anything I ended up paying a few quid for mine because I forgot about it for a few months after the year expired. no big deal though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Windows 8 is an absolute scumbag.

Had to migrate someones OS from a totally dead drive, connected both to my PC and Clonezilla'd them across. So I got a broken install on the new drive, which is okay.

But the Windows 8.1 totally nuked my grub on a totally different drive, and I can't figure out how to get it back to dual-booting Linux :(

And I can't get a booting 8.1 on the new drive either :pac:

I feel your pain with this crap Shadow

Sorted. 9 hours later.

Windows can suck a ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

update on that ocz ssd if anyone cares... hotswapping it did not work, it powers on but windows doesn't detect it. Drivers etc does nothing.

In the bin I reckon, gonna pick up a samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Nice one

Was piss easy to setup

I used a free year trial with Amazon to run a linux session for me to basically have a 24/7 irc connection.

Just be careful to set a timer for the renewal and be sure to read what you signed up for, and useage terms.

I got stung a few times with some charges, for what I still don't know, as a irc bouncer is like minimal ****. But a VOIP service might rack up some usage.

On another note

Anyone know how will the clean install of windows 10 work?

When Windows 10 launches (and if youve reserved your slot you will download it ahead of time and ready to go) you need to go through the upgrade process first and foremost.

Once done, and sitting on your Windows 10 desktop, you can then clean install(W10 will then be attached to your windows auth key I believe)

MS have confirmed a clean install will be possible after first doing the upgrade, but as of yet have not outlined how.

Some thoughts are since MS are utilising a totally revamped restore function in Windows 10, you might be able to simply use the restore function, that will setup a clean install.

The new restore function is actually a brilliant new advancement of Windows.

I'll be keeping tabs on the clean install method, so will share if I see it confirmed. Was going to just upgrade and leave at that, but will do a clean install to take benefit from UEFI which looks like a really good feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

Windows 8 is an absolute scumbag.

Had to migrate someones OS from a totally dead drive, connected both to my PC and Clonezilla'd them across. So I got a broken install on the new drive, which is okay.

But the Windows 8.1 totally nuked my grub on a totally different drive, and I can't figure out how to get it back to dual-booting Linux :(

And I can't get a booting 8.1 on the new drive either :pac:

I feel your pain with this crap Shadow

I think I used EasyBCD to fix something like this a few years ago. Though that was just with windows 7. It is probably a lot less straight forward now with uefi and secureboot.

I think I used EasyBCD to fix something like this a few years ago. Though that was just with windows 7. It is probably a lot less straight forward now with uefi and secureboot.

EasyBCD made my problems worse :pac: Its all sorted anyways, I'm looking forward to moving past this dark period in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

EasyBCD made my problems worse :pac: Its all sorted anyways, I'm looking forward to moving past this dark period in my life

Damn, thankfully I have not needed it for a good while. I forget how easy VMs can make things.

Guys, do you think you will be able to get cheap keys for windows 10? How much ms planing on charging for it anyway?
    I would love to get new ssd and put a fresh install on it with new windows. My current os ssd is 60gb. It was a while since I built my beast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Guys, do you think you will be able to get cheap keys for windows 10? How much ms planing on charging for it anyway?
    I would love to get new ssd and put a fresh install on it with new windows. My current os ssd is 60gb. It was a while since I built my beast :D

Why not get a cheap 7 or 8.1 key now for like €15 on reddit and just take the upgrade route?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Why not get a cheap 7 or 8.1 key now for like €15 on reddit and just take the upgrade route?

This actually should work, as AFAIK, the key is tied to your MS account once the OS is upgraded. You should be able to clean install 10 after upgrading each 7/8.1 OS once.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    This actually should work, as AFAIK, the key is tied to your MS account once the OS is upgraded. You should be able to clean install 10 after upgrading each 7/8.1 OS once.

It will definitly work, it's what I did :)

I have a legit key SOMEWHERE, but after a recent format and clean W7 install, couldn't for the life of me find my key so have been plugging away with the unauthorised thingy popping up every day.

I ran Windows upgrade up until the KB update for Windows 10, and just bought a key from reddit there the other week, and I'm all good to go.

Your product key you upgrade with will be tied as a Windows 10 product activation going forward.

Not sure about the clean in stall once thing. I've been able to clean install numerous times on Windows 7 with my legit key and never had problems.

There are a number of steps you go through via cmd line that unties your product activation key, you just make sure to do that, so that when you go through auth it doesn't think you are using the key a second time.

Well that what has worked for me, there has been no licensing changes to W10(as much as conspiracy theorists thought there would be) so there would be the normal expectation that a user would re-use the key legitimately through the keys lifetime when a PC requires a format etc.

Have to say the concrete information for W10 on this front has been a little slack, seems we still don't know how the clean install will work, and likely wont be revealed until after launch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement