Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

EICVD wrote:
    A really poor Dubs team beaten in the O’Byrne Cup is a positive for Meath, gas! Desperate times still I see.

Guess who is back. The real slim shady. Our this fella above EICVD I suspose. Anyway I will educate him a bit on football matters.

Firstly. My line v Dublin was pretty much tongue in cheek. I was havin a bit of crack.

I don't know if you understand the term rivalry. But it is kind of important. Maybe your a soccer Dub fan who follows the GAA in his part time. Well in soccer then you will know Man City supporters love when Man Utd are beaten and vice versa. Rangers supporters love when Celtic are beaten and vice versa. Real Madrid supporters love when Barcelona are beaten and vice versa. Are all these supporters pathetic, no its called rivalry.

Let's look at gaa rivalries. Many Tipp supporters love when Kilkenny are beaten and vice versa. Many Cork supporters love when kerry beaten and vice versa. Sure even many Cavan supporters are delighted when Monaghan are beaten and vice versa. And of course us Meath people are no different to any other tribe. When our biggest rival is beaten there is satisfaction and vice versa for the Dubs.

Firstly what r you doing on Meath forum . Do you check the Clare and Cavan forum our do u just check the county that has beaten Dublin more times then the rest of the country put together.

Not to long ago beating Meath was the highlight of Dublin players year. Times have changed. And the rivalry is more mute. Very one sided. Similar to how one sided the kerry / Cork rivalry is or the Tyrone /Armagh rivalry is. But the bite is still there. Meath and Dublin rivalry is one Irish sport great rivalries.

What is happened now is part of the course with this rivalry. Meath dominate then Dublin dominate then Meath dominate then Dublin dominate. Or you could put it this way generation after generation of Dublins go up a level. They are seen as unbeatable. No one can touch them in leinster. Generation after generation of Meath footballers come nowhere knock Dublin from their perch and Dublin are vanished to the sidelines as Meath become the top team in leinster.

In my experience I have met many Dublin supporters celebrating Meath loses. I would be a very rich man if I was paid after I met every Dublin person who was delighted with a Meath loss. My favourite was after the Meath loss the final v Down in 91. A Dublin supporter told me this was the best day of his life better then day he got married or had kids to see Meath losing a final.

But it's just not finals. Many a Dublin supporter has raised a glass to Meath losing a Byrne Cup game. The rivalry is not as intense or as significant to the Dubs. But for Meath watching her greatest rival in such a sucessful period is not easy. The same way when Meath where collecting triumph after truimph and beating Dublin nearly year in year out in 80s and 90s, the Dubs where not happy campers. If anything I always felt the hatred to Meath was always stronger on the Dublin side then for Meath to Dublin. Many Meath fans and ex players can praise this current Dublin crop. Praise from Dublins fans and ex players was not as forthcoming when Meath were winning the All Irelands.

Yes the rivalry is one sided currently. But it still matters to the Dubs. You can see great footage on the net of Dublin supporters going mental on hill 16 when Westmeath beat Meath in Croker in 2015. The reporter says the Dubs celebrated the Meath loss more then the later Dublin victory over Kildare. Is that not a bit pathetic. No it called a rivalry.

Of course the Dubs are going celebrate the loss of Meath. For all the advantages Dublin have over Meath from population to finances. No other county has beaten Dublin, dominated Dublin, humiliated Dublin, inflicted more defeats after defeat blow after blow to Dublin then Meath.

That's why the Dubs hate Meath. and why a chap like yourself would comment on a Meath forum in the middle winter. Those great wins have left a long impression on the Dubs. And when we beat Dublin in the next few years. Which will happen. It's not a question of if. It's a question of when.

The real question is can Meath knock Dublin of their perch and dominate the province like we did in the 40s 50s 60s 80s and 90s. When I see under 17 and minor Meath footballers beaten Dublin in last 2 year's. The passion and spirit of Meath football to knock Dublin from their perch is passed from generation to generation . Only for Meath and Offaly, Dublin would be going for 50 or 60 leinster titles in a row. Between 1958 and 1997 only Dublin Meath and Offaly won leinster titles. ( Exception longford in 1968).

Meath just have to win once. Dublin have to stay top all the time. I think we can do in the future what we did to Dublin teams which no other county in Ireland has done for hundred years. We did it in the 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s 00s and even this decade. The 5 goal massacre of 2010. Meath will always beat Dublin. It what's we do best. As Mick Lyons once said beaten Dublin is a matter of life and death. Does any other county in leinster think the same when it comes to Dublin.

Pathetic no that's what makes Meath football great. Even though Meath is small insignificant county in Irish life. It has gone toe to toe with Dublin for nearly 100 years. Dublin the countries most powerful county. Dublin are Manchester Utd. Meath have been performing lecister City type football miracles for decades.

Dublin won 1 All in 40s. Meath won 1.
    Dublin won 1 All in the 50s. Meath won 1.
    Dublin won 1 All Ireland In 60s Meath won 1
    Dublin won 3 All Irekands in 70s Meath won 0
    Dublin won 1 All Ireland In 80s Meath won 2
    Dublin won 1 All. Ireland in the 90s Meath won 2
    Dublin won 0 in 00s Meath won 0.

Only this decade has Dublins power and finances driven them ahead.

This might all explain your interest in a Meath forum in the middle of winter.

Anyway It was no problem. Your welcome. You can thank me whenever you can for clarifying all this for you.

Still think 4-19 is a good score. We are now doing what the top teams do. The div 1 teams. No disrespect to Wicklow. But they are div 4 team. In the past we would have got a lead and took our foot of the pedal. Under McEntee we saw yesterday and against Louth Clare Fermanagh and Derry last year. When we get into a good lead we now bury a team. We go for the jugular. Finishing games strongly has been a trademark of McEntees tenure so far. With the exception of the two Kildare games we have finished every game strongly. Our fitness and mentality is stronger. This is a good foundation to work from.

I think Andy also has a few selection dilemmas to sort out for Roscomon game. Colgan McGill Keoghan Conlon Menton Sullivan Reilly and Lenihan are guaranteed to start if fit. Probaly Burke as well. There's quite a few position up for grabs 5 or 6. In each line of the field. Theirs a few interesting options in each position. If Andy can get the mix right we could be in a good position. Players like Gallagher Lavin Brennan Toner Mcabe Toibin Kennelly Flanagan have all done their chances good in the last two games. While McKeever and Dardis have yet to feature. Both are seriously good options especailly McKeever. I think he is the real thing. The longford game will be interesting as I think it could be more on the lines of the selection for the Rossies game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

You have serious problem Sonny!

Everything I said was based in truth and facts. It's all factual. This happenned. You might not like to hear the uncomfortable truth regarding Meaths great sucesses over Dublin. To many to mention. If I did I would be here all night.

There is nothing wrong in being proud in a counties tradition. And when it comes to Meath our record v Dublin is outstanding compared to the whole country. This might be difficult to take in. You see Meath have being a massive problem for Dublin for a hundred years of gaelic football. If there was no Meath Dublin would be winning 50 or 60 leinster titles in a row. Knocking Dublin from their perch is what we do. And under the McEntees another young new generation are beginning the journey to topple Dublin like we have done in 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s 00 and this decade. Both McEntees know Dublin football inside out. They are the right men at the right time to take down Dublin.

Bonniedog you have the problem coz you cannot handle the truth. Meath will beat Dublin . It's a matter of time. I would say 2020 when our players will peak. Then it's a question of. Or should I say a massive PROBLEM for Dublin .Will Meath do what we did so successfully in the past to Dublin . When we beat Dublin we couldn't stop beating them. The one thing Dublin can never beat is a strong Meath team. Thats a fact. We have been in worst positions and Dublin have been in stronger. And we succeeded.

Bonniedog what are you doing on a Meath forum in the middle of winter. Surely you have a bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

While I admire your pride in Meath, I have to wonder what the point is in all the chest thumping about Meath beating Dublin.

In my lifetime I've seen us knocked out of the championship by Tyrone, Armagh, Fermanagh, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Laois, Kildare, Derry, Donegal and Cavan. What good is it beating Dublin once a decade if we're losing to a vast array of other counties?

• Advertisement

The rest of leinster is like yes Dublin no Dublin three bags full Dublin. The towel has been thrown. Every generation of Meath footballer will try and beat Dublin. Your not a Meath footballer until you beat Dublin in a leinster final. It's the acid test for every Meath footballer
    It has driven Meath players and teams for generations. ( And vice versa beating Meath has driven Dublin players for generations) To beat Dublin and knock from their perch. We have done it every time. Why is saying this such a problem.

Some Meath man like meself, some bogman from the backwoods of Meath says Meath will Dublin in the championship in the coming years. And this is uncomfortable for Dublin to hear. We in Meath have a proud great football tradition. And I think Dublins greatest fear is if Meath come again. Dublin have never been so powerful. One of their most sucessful periods ever. Meath have had our worst decade since 1920s. They have written us off. Like they have done so many times in the past. The idea, even the idea that Meath could beat Dublin but that Meath would come again and become the dominate force in leinster football is something the Dubs cannot even heard been spoken about.
    So when we do beat them it will be very sweet indeed.

It's not our history that makes me confident. It's when our minors hammered Dublin last year( first time in years Dublin were so heavily beaten in any grade) and our minors tore them to pieces in the first half this year and our under 17 leinster title ( minor ) this year. These wins are profencies for the future. When Roscommon beat Galway last year one of the reasons was because of Roscommon victories over Galway at underage. When kildare beat Meath last year it was continuation of the victories Kildare had over Meath at underage. I can go on and on. The victories over Dublin at underage level recently will be repeated when these young player develop as footballers in their 20s.

So that's it. We are not going anywhere. Why should we. We are stubborn to the end. And we will beat Dublin. Our time will come again. You know you can never right of the Royals. Did you not know that Bonniedog. Or is that a PROBLEM for you.

Welcome back Sonny. Was here for weird reason of hoping to find some more info on hurling match last week, so I am sadder than you!

Yes, Dubs/Meath football is cyclical thing. Like all things.

While I admire your pride in Meath, I have to wonder what the point is in all the chest thumping about Meath beating Dublin.

In my lifetime I've seen us knocked out of the championship by Tyrone, Armagh, Fermanagh, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Laois, Kildare, Derry, Donegal and Cavan. What good is it beating Dublin once a decade if we're losing to a vast array of other counties?

Because beating Dublin is the hardest thing in gaelic football. Dublin have so many counties beaten before they enter the field. It's a big thing. Your are the capital. Our most famous county. Any county that beats Dublin usually goes onto win an All Ireland. Playing Dublin is the nearest thing to an All Ireland. When Donegal or Kildare or Laois or kerry or Armagh beat Dublin in the last 20 years it was some of their greatest victories ever. Usually it takes a great team from a county to beat Dublin. Dublin always have a good team. Have all the advantages. Dublin are the hardest team to beat in gaelic football. That Meath an average Midlands county has gone to toe to toe with Dublin is remarkable.

It's not that Meath have beaten Dublin. Meaths have had periods of sucess over Dublin no other county has had. Meath had periods of sucess over Dublin ( year after year Dublin defeats) in the 40s 50s 60s 80s and 90s. The only other county that did this once in the last 90 years was Offaly when they won 3 in a row v Dublin in early 80s. I think a few stats might get you realise Meath phenomenonal sucess over the most powerful most famous the most difficult county to beat in gaelic football.

Dublin are Manchester Utd. Meath are Leicester City. Think how Dublin are now, how stronh. And think of this stats in that light. In 15 years under Boylan Meath defeated Dublin 9 times and drew 4 times. Just imagine if any team defeated Dublin remained unbeaten against Dublin in 13 games in the next 15 years. That's what Meath did. And Dublin were just as strong as they are now as they were in 1986. Only difference they can beat Kerry now they could in late 70s or 80s.

In 5 years Meath played Dublin between 86 and 91. Mesth played Dublin 9 times and only lost once. It is the most sucessful rate ever v Dublin. We are not talking about solitary defeats over Dublin like Kildare or Westmeath or Donegal have. We are talking about eras of unparalleled sucess Meath have had over our capital county in the 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s. The below stats will show how bloody hard it is to beat Dublin. Its the dream of every footballer in the every county to beat the Dubs in a big game on Croker. Meath have done it more then anyone. We deserve credit for that

Kildare have only beaten Dublin twice in leinster championship in 40 years

Offaly have not beaten Dublin in the leinster championship in 35 years

Louth have not beaten Dublin in the leinster championship in over 40 years.

Laois have only beaten Dublin twice in the leinster chamouinship in 70 years

Westmeath have only beaten Dublin once in the leinster championship in 70 years. Twice in their history.

Longford have not beaten Dublin in the leinster championship in 50 years

Wicklow have not beaten Dublin in the leinster championship in over 70 years

Carlow have not beaten Dublin in the leinster championship in over 70 years.

Wexford have not beaten Dublin in the leinster championship in over 70 years
    ( Outside the provienceGalway have not beaten Dublin in the championship in nearly 90 years )

In the last 35 years Meath have beaten 10 times and drawn 4 times in the leinster championship.
    The nearest in the country is kerry with 5. Next is Offaly with 3. Then Mayo Laois Kildare Tyrone and Donegal with 2.
    I think the stats emphasis all my points very well.

Bonniedog wrote:
    Welcome back Sonny. Was here for weird reason of hoping to find some more info on hurling match last week, so I am sadder than you!

Bonniedog wrote:
    Yes, Dubs/Meath football is cyclical thing. Like all things.

Thanks Bonniedog. Maybe I am the sad one. It's after midnight on a cold January night and here I am ranting and raving about Meath and Dublin.
    I don't hate Dublin. It's probaly I that I hate deep down how bad Meaths opposition is to Dublin lately. It was good for the GAA for Dublin to win in 2011. But when you guys have won 5 and going for 4 in a row it's not easy to watch when your county who defines itself by its opposition to Dublin is going through it worst decade since 1920s. I am probaly like so many Meath supporters sick of div 2 and been knocked out in July.

I don't know Bonniedog if you remeber the games Meath v Dublin in 80s and 80s they were unreal. 30000 Meath supported versus 30000 Dublin supporter. The stands were more entertaining then the pitch.. those were great occasions which capture the countries attention. It just would be great for Meath for leinster and for Dublin, if Meath could return to the top table. When Meath and Dublin were two of the best teams in the country the battles in Croker were a sight to behold.

I don't seem to come on to this site like you Bonniedog and the Hammer and everyone else and have short concise points. I just start ranting and raving. So apologies for my latest outburst. I have few things I want to bring up on the main forum about the GAA but my latest outburst is more evidence that me boardsie don't work. Apologies to everyone. The ranting Meath man has left the building.

Of course I remember. They were the greatest days of all. Dublin v Meath is the real classic. May it return.

I was only taking mickey out of you by the way. Your historical knowledge is missed.

• Advertisement

The key is beating Dublin. You beat Dublin in the championship it pretty much means your almost all ireland contenders overnight. Playing Dublin is like playing in All Ireland final . It's no coincidence that every team that beat Dublin from 2002 to 2009 went on to win Sam eg Armagh Kerry and Tyrone. Every Meath team that has beaten Dublin in the championship has gone on to win Sam ,exception is 2010. I think the fallout from leinster final fiasco and changing manager every year led to a potentially All Ireland winning team, especially in 2010.

If you read the four King a book on Meaths full backs. The theme that runs through the book is the obsession of beating Dublin. From Jack Quinn to Mick Lyons, beating Dublin was everything. The same for Brian Cody beating Tipp is everything. Or for Kerry beating Cork is important. Galway and Mayo are the same.

I read kings of Summer at Christmas and Eugene McGee obsession to beat Dublin drove Offaly to sucess. And Offaly had to face down a sucessful Dublin team like us . McGee knew Dublin football inside out leading UCD to Dublin senior title. Andy and Gerry McEntee know Dublin club football inside out. That is a good thing.

It's simple beat Dublin you are good enough to win an All Ireland. And Meath football has always took the challenge and fight to Dublin. We have always beaten them. It's a very important part of our make up mentally. The same way the rivalry between Tipp and Kilkenny has defined both counties for 80 years or so. Dublin rivalry with Meath is important to Dublins GAA story along with the rivalry with Kerry, it has pretty much defined Dublin football for a century.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

So the new SHC proposals got the go ahead last night.
    As usual, there will be two groups of 6. But group A will consist of 6 teams that made it to last year's knockout stages (Kiltale, Kildalkey, Kilmessan, Dunboyne, Killyon and Ratoath) while group B consists of the other 6 teams (Trim, Dunderry, Blackhall Gaels, Longwood, Boardsmill and Navan O'Mahony's).

Top 2 in group A qualify for the semi finals. 3rd and 4th in group A qualify for the quarter finals while the bottom team in group A drop to group B for 2019. The top two in group B qualify for the quarter finals also with the top team playing in group A in 2019. Bottom team in group B is relegated to Intermediate.

I think it's a good improvement. There were way too many one sided hammerings in the SHC last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RockyRory

we'll beat Longford in the first leinster match then its the Dubs in the semi's. we could beat dublin this year and if we do we could go all the way. the royals are the best darkhorse for '18.

Mayo are also finished, if we met them later in the championship we should beat them. only teams to fear are the Dubs and Kerry.

RockyRory wrote:
    we'll beat Longford in the first leinster match then its the Dubs in the semi's. we could beat dublin this year and if we do we could go all the way. the royals are the best darkhorse for '18.

RockyRory wrote:
    Mayo are also finished, if we met them later in the championship we should beat them. only teams to fear are the Dubs and Kerry.

If Meath defeated Dublin this year it would be the greatest victory in the history of Meath football. It would be the shock of the decade. I do think we will give them a game and surprise people with our challenge . But to expect Meath to turnover a three in a row Dublin team in Andys second year is not believe able. If we where to beat Dublin I could see us losing the final to Kildare. When Dublin lose every team feels they can win leinster. There would be so much hype around Meath it would be similar to 2010 leinster final and we wouldn't turn up. But none of this is going to happen for it's going to take 3 more seasons at least to get to Dublins level. Until we get to div 1 and stay there. We have little chance.

Regards Mayo I have been righting them off for the last couple of seasons . But they keep.coming back. They are remarkable team. Which should have won an All Ireland. and you would be foolish to right them off. We are Mayo's bogey team in the championship but there is still a massive gap where they are and where we are. They have played in 5 finals including a replay in this decade. We haven't reached a quater final in 8 years or a semi final in 9 years or a final in 17 years. Mayo have been the longest team in div 1 along with kerry and Dublin. I think Mayo are nearly 20 years in div 1. Meath have only played 1 year in division 1 in the last 16 years. Thats why they have reached 7 finals since 2001 and we havent reached one.

Andy can do it. But it's going to take a long time. We are talking 5 to 6 years to get to Mayo's level.

RockyRory wrote:

There is a group of young teams in the country eg Tyrone Roscommon Galway Cavan Kildare Westmeath Tippearey and Meath.

In the next few I can see these teams making an impact. I wouldnt be surprised to see an All Ireland or 2 won by the group of above named counties. Donegal and Kerry are in transition. Monaghan and Mayo have alot of mileage on the clock. And Dublin will lose 6 or 7 All time great at the start of the next decade eg Cluxton Connolly Brogan McMahon Flynn. So we are probaly entering a new era. Every 6 or 7 years there is a changing of the guard in football. Kerry and Dublin are always strong but other counties drift in and out of the top 4 or 5 eg

Early 90s Meath Cork Dublin Derry Down Donegal
    Late 90s Meath Galway kerry
    Early 00s Tyrone Armagh Kerry
    Late 00s Tyrone Cork kerry
    This decade Dublin Donegal kerry Mayo Monaghan

All the above young teams have something Meath don't. They all have underage sucess. We really are relying on Andy McEntee to a brillant manager to turn us around for us. I think he could be. But we are lacking underage sucess and this is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

As a meath football / hurling fan its getting embarrassing so see the die hard meath football fans clutching at straws these days
    hoganstand posting pictures of great times of times past , every day - but thats the problem - its in the past and a long time ago
    pages upon pages of rubbish posted on the forum about nothing games in january

meath fans are getting like english soccer fans talking about 1966 world cup win

what matters is the present / future
    time to get our head out of our ass talking about when we were great , because its a long time ago

talking about us tackling dublin at the minute is as deluded as our hurlers tackling galway

sc86 wrote:
    As a meath football / hurling fan its getting embarrassing so see the die hard meath football fans clutching at straws these days hoganstand posting pictures of great times of times past , every day - but thats the problem - its in the past and a long time ago pages upon pages of rubbish posted on the forum about nothing games in january

sc86 wrote:
    meath fans are getting like english soccer fans talking about 1966 world cup win

sc86 wrote:
    what matters is the present / future time to get our head out of our ass talking about when we were great , because its a long time ago

sc86 wrote:
    talking about us tackling dublin at the minute is as deluded as our hurlers tackling galway

There is nothing wrong with having a great tradition. It is an asset. Sure Cavan supporters still talk about their glory days and that is nearly 70 or 80 years ago. We are not English soccer fans and 66. English have not had sucess for 52 years. Our lack of sucess is really only this decade.

We had extraordinary sucess in 80s and 90s. In gaelic football terms it was one of the most sucessful periods any county has had. After Kerry and Dublin it was probaly the most sucessful period for any county. The only other counties with comparable sucessful periods where Cavan in the 30s 40s, Wexford 1914 to 18 and Galway 1956 to 1966. Buts Meaths was more sucessful. Including replays we played in 9 All Irelands finals in 14 years . Remeber after their periods of sucess Galway Wexford and Cavan have never really got back to that level of sucess consistently.

There was always going to be a dip for Meath following this period. This dip was compounded when Boylan left. Look at what happened to Man Utd when Ferguson left. The same happenned to Meath. When a manager stays for two decades in a job when he leaves chaos follows. We also have had 7 managers in nearly 12 years. That is a crazy turnover of managers.

But overall it's better to have Meaths tradition then not. It is an asset. Why was it Galway that defeated Mayo in recent years, not Roscommon or Sligo in . Why was it Tipp that toppled Kilkenny in 2011 and 2016 why not Clare limerick or Waterford. Because of their tradition. I still believe it will be Meath who will topple Dublin not Kildare. I just don't think Kildare have the inner belief to beat Dublin. There is still an inner confidence even a touch arrogance which Meath have that stems from past sucess. Cork Hurlers Down footballers Galway footballers have it too, an ability to mushroom strong teams over night.

But for me it was the sucess of our under 17s and minors two years that gives me reason for optimistism. We need to see more days like this at underage. While we have not had the sucess we had Boylan. Still in the last ten year's outside the top 5 kerry Dublin Mayo Tyrone Donegal our record is as good as anyone. In the last ten years we are still the second most sucessful team in leinster by a long distance. We have beaten the great Tyrone team of noughties Mayo Galway ( twice) drew once with Dublin and hammered them also. We have reached two semi finals in the period. The only other county in leinster to reach any semi final outside the Dubs was Kildare 2010.

Who was the last team to beat Dublin in leinster at underage level? Meath in 2017

Who was the last team in leinster at underage to Hammer Dublin? Meath in 2016

Who was the last team in leinster to get close to Dublin? Meath in 2013 and 2014

Who was the last to defeat Dublin in leinster ? Meath in 2010

Who was the last team to draw with Dublin in leinster? Meath in 2007.

All the above things happened in the last ten years. So we are still making an impact in the immediate past. Things go in cycles. Meath are always strong at the end of decade eg 1949 1967 1987 1977 1988 1996 1999 2007 2009. Meath go in decline as the team breaks up at the start of decade 1972 1982 1992 2002 2012. All bad periods for Meath . Meath are in transition in the mid period of a decade eg 1985 1995 2005 2015. All years Meath had dreadful defeats in the championship. And again this decade has followed that path. The break up of 07 to 10 team between 2011 to 2013. A new group of players emerge and we are transition 2014 to 2017. Looking at the age group player we have the average is 24.. we should be entering a strong period 2018 to 2021. And the cycle continues.

Things can change very fast in football. If you said in 1959 that Down would win 3 All Irelands in the next decade you would have laughed qt. If you said in 1985 after Laois hammered us, that Meath team would play in 5 All Ireland in 5 years including replay you would have been called insane. If you said in early 1991 that Down Donegal and Derry would be the next three champions it would have been an incredible to say. If you in 2002 when Sligo defeated Tyrone said that Tyrone would be champions in a year again , again not believable. If you said at the start of this decade that Donegal would win an All Ireland within 3 years . Again laughed at.

We are entering a new era for Meath. And gaelic football will see teams change at the top of the table. With our young talent standing on the shoulders of our past greats we have as good a chance if not better then any county. Meath for Sam 2021.

Brian Farrell has been made under 20 manager with Conor Martin and Shane Mcinarly . Barry Callaghan was offered the job but couldn't do it. Good to see young managers given the underage jobs. Don't know how much experience Farrell has in management. Shane Mc has some experience managing in Meath club football. Personally I would have had Graham Geraghty or even asked Anthony Moyles to manage. But Farrell is definatly a forward thinking and youthful appointment. And looking at under 20s we should have a strong team. As they will compose of our last two minor teams and sucessful under 17 teams. Especially in the forwards there is serious firepower. But we need to get defence and midfield sorted. A leinster title at under 20 this year should be the aim and is achievable. We need to start turning our good work at underage level in the next 3 to 4 years at new minor and under 20 level into winning titles and trophies. That's the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

RockyRory wrote: »

Whatever it is your on I want some of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

RockyRory wrote: »

Whatever it is you're on I want some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

sums up a meath football fan sadly, alot are just unrealistic
    one look at the current squad sadly says all you need to know - prob would struggle with dublins second team

beat longford - hammered by dublin - pray you get somebody worse than use in second chance salon
    thats realistic

every year its same rubbish talk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I was looking for something to listen to podcast wise the other day and discovered Eamonn Dunphy on his Stand podcast had interviewed Sean Boylan, it's up a while judging by the conversation it was recorded shortly after the Kildare debacle. It's actually really interesting in that it's mostly about his father and politics etc and probably only about 20 minutes on his Meath teams. But he did say on it when he decided he was going to finish up he asked for a two year term instead of his usual one. His plan was to get an assistant in alongside him for the two years with the assistant taking over at the end of the term. Apparently the county board turned it down, now I don't want to be unfair on anyone but that was an awful decision in my eyes.

Boylan's da was interesting chap. Leader of IRA in Meath in Tan War.

Anyway, this has distracted me from original purpose of vistiting my neighbours! Do any of you have link to Meath Chronicle report of the Walsh Cup game last week?

PS. Glad to see Sonny back. Historically based arguments are good.

The Boylans have been leading Meath men into battle for a century. His father was the head of the 1916 Division in Meath. He was arrested by the British. And was put on the list for execution. The day he was been called up is the day the Brits stopped executing. So that decision meant Sean's father returned to Meath and the rest is history. (His father was close to Michael Collins).

Boylan had a touch of genius about him. While Mick O was great. Mick O did have serious talent work to work with. A three in a row under 21 All Ireland kerry winng teams to work with. Boylan had very little to work with in comparison. None of the 80s team had any underage sucess . Only Flynn and O Malley had a minor leinster medal. That was it.

Boylan had this ability to pick out players from any level that weren't the greatest, but when they went to Croke Park they would become real leaders in the green and gold jersey. Mick O was just continuing Kerrys great tradition. Boylan turned Meath into kerry in the 80s and 90s.

Massive massive mistake by the county board. Boylan wanted a 3 year contract in 2006. The board unbelievably asked him to go for an interview. He decides not to go to the interview. And Meath begin the post Boylan era. Meath would go from 1 disaster to another. Similar to Ferguson leaving Man Utd. Within 5 seasons 2006 to 2011 Meath had 4 managers ans had a potentially very good team. But this overturn of managers was crazy. And overall damaging to Meath football

If Boylan was given that 3 year term I belive he would have won his 5th All Ireland. There was an All Ireland up for grabs in 2010. Tyrone and Kerry where in decline. Dublin were a mess. Cork deserved to win Sam in 2010 because of reaching 6 semi finals in a row. Very consitent team up to 2010. But truthfully in 2010 they fell over the line. Meath had a chance a blew it. Changing the managers and the fallout after leinster final finished off that team. But that team had potential the results back that up. Victory over great Tyrone team in 07 and drew with Dublin in two cracking games in 07 and defeated Galway in 07. 08 was a disaster. 09 defeated a highly fancied Mayo team and played very poorly v Dublin and Kerry but still only lost by couple of points. Second semi final in three years.

In 2010 defeated Loais Offaly and Dublin by ten points and Louth by 11 points and Galway also in 2011. We were 7 points up on Kildare in quarter final and coming up too half time in a very strange game and atmosphere. Kildare hit us for two goals and ran riot in the second half. But after leinster final fiasco the team mentally were gone. That final fiasco finished that team off early.

But when you at the players and some of the results between 07 and 10 we did underachieve eg In the forwards Stephen Bray Graham Geraghty Shane O O Rourke David Bray ( both before injuries) Graham Reilly Joe Sheridan Brian Farrell Cian Ward Peader Bryne and in midfield we had Nigel Crawford Mark Ward and Anthony Moyles in defence we had Darren Fay Kevin Reilly Niall Mckeigue Chris O Connor Seamus Kenny Shane Mcinarly Coa him king and Cormac McGuiness . If Boylan stayed and had an sucessor under his tutorship we at least would have reached a final and I think we would definitely have wwon 1 All Ireland.

Joe Sheridan talked about this on lmfm recently. Talked about his whole career. I will put up the link later. He also felt they under achieved with the players they had. It's an excellent interview. Worth checking out. He has great praise for Andy McEntee.

The problem with your argument is seem to think every thing stays the same, nothing ever changes.

This is a completely new Meath team. No one knows how good they can be. Can footballers in their early 20s improve as they hit mid 20s and late 20s . Of course. I don't know how anyone can right of such a young team. We don't know how good they are because they are just starting off their careers.

No county in Ireland has gone on such a overhaul of the their panel in recent years then Meath. Colm keys did a survey in the indo and he said no country had gone on such overhaul of their panel then Meath. Mick O Dowd basically built a new Meath team from scratch. Even this year Andy has brought in 13 players into the panel who have never played for Meath. In the last two games I think McEntee has given 8 players their Meath debut.

Only Mickey Burke and Graham Reilly are veterans around 30 .
    (I could be wrong with some players they could be 24 not 23 but here is some ages of our panel for future years)

Cormac McGill 24 Padraig Harnan 23 Brian Power 23 Seamus Lavin 23 Harry Rooney 23 Adam Flanagan 23 Adam McDermont 20 Cillian Sullivan 23 Eamon Wallace 23 Bryan McMahon 24 Seamus McEntee 23 James McEntee 23 Brian Conlon 21 Thomas Reilly 21 Dan O Neill 21 Alan Forde 24 Ruari O Coilean 23 Ronan Jones 21 Paddy Kennelly 23 Daire Rowe 21 Joey Wallace 22. Only two players on the panel are around 30. Dublin have about 10 ,Mayo have also around 10.

All.these players are going to be part of Meath panel for the coming years. Vast majority will be first team regulars. This is most of our panel . ( A couple in the USA this year). Can they improve, of course they can.

Then you have Donal Keoghan 25 Donal Lenihan 26 Brian Menton 26 Padraig McKeever 26. All players that are now hitting their peak this year and in the next 2 or 3 years.

We have one of the youngest teams in the country. We are not div 4 or div 3 team. We are top div 2 team which has finished 3rd 3 of the last 4 years in div 2. Going up to div 1 is a real possibility for this young team. Stay in divsion 1 and Meath will make an impact on the championship. That's what we have to do. It will be tough but not unattainable. We have shown some good football in the last few years. Eg Westmeath first half 2015 games v Clare Derry Fermanagh Galway in last year's league. Game v louth we scored 27 points in champuonship. We have played some good football. But we lacked consistently and experience in the half back line Midfield and half forward line. Sometime I have seen us play with nearly every player from 5 to 12 being around 21. You need players in the mid to late 20s in this part of the field. You will not win with young players. Only time this has happened was kerry in 1975 and Meath in 1996. And these teams had some of the greatest players ever.

The problem is and Andy spoke about this after the game Sunday. He said we are behind other teams in terms of strenght and conditioning. He is right . We have one of the smallest teams in thr country. Only when these players get a couple of years gym work and fillout in their mid to late 20s, then you will see Meath stronger.

I just find it extraordinary how anyone can right off such a young team. No one knows how good they can be. Because they are in the early stages of their career. And remeber when they peak in 2020 2021 we could have a young group of other young players /talented players from our current underage teams coming through. People say Kildare and Galway havd young exciting teams. Newsflash so do Meath. Galway and Kildare are head in development terms. Walsh is going into his 4th year and O Neill his third and McEntee his second. Both Walsh and O Neill had dreadful first years. There is as many questions marks over both Gway and Kildare as Meath. Still people see them as teams with potential even though both cannot win Croke Park. Kildare have a dreadful record in Croke Park eg 5 loses in 2 year's and I think they have lost roughly 35 of their last 40 matchs in Croker. Gakway have not won in Croker in 16 years in championship ( 2001 to 2017). Something which has been a common theme for Galways team in recent decades ( Gakway did not win in Croker for 12 years from 1984 to 1998).

Yet Meath are seen as a team with no hope. No one knows how good Kildare Meath and Galway will be . But alot will depend on the manager. We might just might have a top class manager. I always felt we are a top class manager from being a top class team. But it will take time. This year will probaly be up and down. For me it not be till next year till we see progress and in the next decade real sucess. But it could happen. The early years of this decade was 07 to 10 team breaking up . This occured between 2011 and 2013 2014. A new team emerged a period of transition, 2014 to 17. We should now be now entering a stronger period .

I just don't know hoe anyone can write of such a young team. I never seen a young team been written of so much . We have potential. And we could surprise people in the coming years.

Meath are a team to watch out for over the next 5 or 6 seasons. They might not deliver. But under a good manager they could deliver also. To rule out any progress in the next few years with such a young Meath team makes no sense to me whatsoever.

This could be the Meath team to play longford in the summer. It might not be. But it is a potential team And most will play

1 Adam McDermont 20
    2 Seamus Lavin 23
    3 Cormac McGill 24
    4 Donal Keoghan 25
    5 Brian Conlon 21
    6 Brian Power 23
    7 Seamus McEntee 23
    8 Harry Rooney 23
    9 Brian Menton 26
    10 James McEntee 23
    11 Cillian Sullivan 23
    12 Graham Reilly 29
    13 Thomas Reilly 21
    14 Donal Lenihan 26
    15 Bryan McMahon 24

Subs Alan Forde 24 Eamon Wallace 23 Adam Flanagan 23 Joey Wallace 22 Dan O Neill 21 Paddy Kennelly 23

What standouts from the above team. The age. We have a very young team with potential.

PS I might have 2 or 3 ages wrong a year older. But you get my general point.

iDave wrote: »
    Whatever it is you're on I want some of it.

its called tradition and belief

RockyRory wrote:
    its called tradition and belief

There's a certain truth in what you say. It comes across kind of arrogant to say that. But confidence / arrogance (whatever you want to call it) can be something positive, if it leads to belief and winning mentality. It's all about getting the right balance. Cork Hurlers have it as well. Down footballers also

But it is noticeable counties like Meath Cork and Down have being unsuccessful lately. I think that has to do with lack of underage sucess in these counties. Counties coming nowhere Meath ( 1996) Down ( 1960 1991 ) Cork hurlers ( 1966 1999) is rarer now. These counties have to rely on getting their underage act together more.

Meath have no inferiority complex. Allot of counties are beaten before they play Dublin kerry or Northern teams. Meath we think we are as good if not better then top counties. We think we are better then say Kildare or Roscommon. We aren't. We are not at the moment. That's why when we are weak we can get beaten by counties like Fermanagh Cavan Westmeath in the championship. But when we are strong when we play top counties, this is an asset. We don't have inferior complex. We usually play well against top counties. If you look at record v top counties it's excellent. One of the best if the country. Even in the last few when we played top counties we can up our game eg Dublin 2012 2013 Tyrone 2013 Donegal league 2014 Tyrone 2015 Galway league 2017 Donegal 2017. We might not win but playing the more sucessful counties does bring positives attributes out of us. When we play more sucessful counties we do seem to up our game. Of course Dublin are so strong at the moment and the gap is to massive for us to be competitive.If we go up to divsion 1 . I could see us upping our game v the top teams. Imagine Dublin kerry or Mayo in Navan.

However there has to be balance. We cannot expect our tradition and belief to win matchs and kick the ball over the bar. We need another generation to take on the baton and drive Meath football back up to the top of the football tree again. That's take hard work determination great skill and attitude.
    As I said I think we have young team with potential. And good management team. But nothing is guaranteed.

Our tradition and belief is an asset. I would rather have it then not. But we do need to remeber and honour the past but not live in it. We could the new Cavan. That is a potential outcome. But truthfully we don't know. In 5 or 6 years time it will be very interesting to see how we have done. And the football landscape has changed. There is definatly is a group of young and upcoming teams in the country eg Roscommon Galway Tyrone Cavan Tipperary Kildare Meath Westmeath. Some of them will surely make an impact. Others wouldn't. Our tradition and belief can be a help. But allot will depend on our management team. Because all those young teams have underage sucess , whichwe don't. So we are at an disadvantage from the very start.

• Advertisement

Any Meath supporter on this board I would highly recommend checking out this interview with Joe Sheridan on LMFM. I couldn't attach it. But here is the webpage
    https://soundcloud.com/lmfmradio/sunday-sport-joe-sheridan-in-studio

Definatley worth listening to. Even if your not a Meath supporter any one interested in the modern player , its worth the listen. His comments 'Players detest the game' have been widely publicised. Overall its a good summation of Meath football in the last 15 years

Points Joe Made /Spoiler Alert
    1 The team he belonged to underachieved
    2 He talks about all the management team Barry Coyle O Dowd etc. And Sean of course was the best manager he ever played under
    3 Praises McEntees man management skills, calls him incredible. A good sign for the future.

Advertisement