Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 800

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I have one, and would not recommend it to any one. Battery life - poor. Ease of use - poor. User-friendly - poor. Text size - bad. Saving numbers - bad. Radio - bad. The list goes on. I have always had Noika phones, but if this is the way they are going, this will be my last. Any phone where you have to keep on reverting to the manual is a bad phone. It may look and feel good, but that's where it starts and ends.

I feel your pain in some of those areas, but in the interest of fairness to Nokia, Microsoft has a big role to play as they are the ones who are (presumably) mostly responsible for the OS software on the phone, which is where the main issues appear to be. As a physical phone, which I presume Nokia is mainly responsible for, it is a fairly impressive phone. Its fast and its beautiful, and that's great, but the software lets it down in some areas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I have one, and would not recommend it to any one. Battery life - poor. Ease of use - poor. User-friendly - poor. Text size - bad. Saving numbers - bad. Radio - bad. The list goes on. I have always had Noika phones, but if this is the way they are going, this will be my last. Any phone where you have to keep on reverting to the manual is a bad phone. It may look and feel good, but that's where it starts and ends.

If you need a manual to use the Lumia you got no chance using any smart phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Good luck when Windows 8 arrives if you ever buy a new laptop :eek:

Found Windows Phone easier to use than Android from playing with it. I'm sure it lacks features I'm unaware of as I don't own one but own an Android device but from using a friends, I found it way easier to get used to then iPhone or Android TBH.

It was the lack of apps at the time that put me off the Lumia 800 when it was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Tom1991

Lads was wondering if any advice can be given on this headscratcher my phone updated to tango grand but its still running the firmware 1600.2489.8107.12072 with no sign of internet sharing on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

BostonB wrote: »
    What phone do you think is better for the same price on O2?

Like BostonB is there any phone thats better for a similar price? Would this be better? http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/phones/samsung-galaxy-ace-ii-i8160/223/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

ryaner1979 wrote: »
    Like BostonB is there any phone thats better for a similar price? Would this be better? http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/phones/samsung-galaxy-ace-ii-i8160/223/

Lol theres one thing worse than a phone that doesn't have any apps. A phone that has apps but starts freezing after installing some...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lol theres one thing worse than a phone that doesn't have any apps. A phone that has apps but starts freezing after installing some...

Could you be more vague. Is there something specific you don't like.

Someone in the house has a Ace II and its quite nippy. Everything worked that I tried. Though as will all Android phones everyone is slightly different than the last one. It may get an update from 2.3.6

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ace_2_and_s_advance_to_skip_ics_get_jb-news-4786.php

Could you be more vague. Is there something specific you don't like.

Someone in the house has a Ace II and its quite nippy. Everything worked that I tried. Though as will all Android phones everyone is slightly different than the last one. It may get an update from 2.3.6

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ace_2_and_s_advance_to_skip_ics_get_jb-news-4786.php

Try installing 50+ games and apps on the phone and see how slow it gets. It might have a dual core processor but its the weakest one you can get. Doesnt help when you have all those processes added.

See which one will run smoother.

Try installing 50+ games and apps on the phone and see how slow it gets. It might have a dual core processor but its the weakest one you can get. Doesnt help when you have all those processes added.

See which one will run smoother.

Not all apps and games run (or have processes that run) concurrently. So they just sit on your SD card till you need them. So I don't get what you mean that installing a bunch of them slows android down. or consumes cpu cycles.

Every device has limited resources. You have to manage them accordingly. I don't see that an extra 200mhz will make that much of a difference. Its more an issue of the chipset and gpu. But it really depends what you are paying for?

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ace_2-review-786p3.php
    Overall, the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 is not bad for a mid-range device and beats most single-cores, but can't always keep up with the other dual-cores, particularly the Snapdragon S4 (which admittedly isn't to be found in a smartphone in this price range).

Do you have links to running max number of apps on similar phones?

http://gktechmania.blogspot.ie/2011/12/nokia-e5-record-breaker.html

• Advertisement

Lol there's easily 50 games and apps on my mums phone, mainly due to the little one playing a ton of games on it.

Not once does it freeze or stutter, it runs faster and smoother than dual core or quad core phones and good luck with proving that otherwise, because even the harshest critics of WP7 always bring it up thats its the most smoothest OS to date even with its underpowered processors that often beat the best smartphones at day to day operations.

My Titan never froze in any operation vs the quad core S3 or One X.
    Never seen my mums Lumia freeze or slow down either.

Thats the reason I and a lot of other WP owners favor it over Android or iOS, pure speed and stability, design of UX is personal prefernce but not many people complain about it either. Its sexy and easy to use, there is no sea of menu buttons, everything is uniformed for easy navigation, there might not be a huge amount of apps as on Android or especially iOS, but their majority are definetly prettier and better looking than Android ones.

If you havent seen that, that means you didnt really look for amazing apps, cause there is plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,113 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ronan H wrote: »
    I feel your pain in some of those areas, but in the interest of fairness to Nokia, Microsoft has a big role to play as they are the ones who are (presumably) mostly responsible for the OS software on the phone, which is where the main issues appear to be. As a physical phone, which I presume Nokia is mainly responsible for, it is a fairly impressive phone. Its fast and its beautiful, and that's great, but the software lets it down in some areas...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, there is a problem with the phone's USB connection. It seems that people are having problems getting Nokia to own up, and until then many people are getting saddled paying for the repair as it's been deemed user damage.

My wife's phone appears to have this problem, where the phone won't charge properly, and even discharges. No doubt when she sends it off to be checked, she'll be getting a bill along with the rest of them.:(

Its got nothing to do with processes and installing apps or games. WP7 isn't multi threaded like Android. It doesn't let you do the things that Android can do. It won't get that till WP8. As a result you won't have problems with multi-threading because it doesn't do it.

This is got nothing to do with the phone that was asked about the Ace II.

You're just ranting in general about android.

Its got nothing to do with processes and installing apps or games. WP7 isn't multi threaded like Android. It doesn't let you do the things that Android can do. It won't get that till WP8. As a result you won't have problems with multi-threading because it doesn't do it.

This is got nothing to do with the phone that was asked about the Ace II.

You're just ranting in general about android.

Yes it does, because its not able to show the same amount of capability of handling apps as a phone with lesser processing power as pointed out.

Its got nothing to do with processing power.

The OS, WP7 can't crash doing things, its not allowed to do.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/microsoft-brings-true-background-multitasking-to-windows-phone/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Sent my Lumia for repair last Tuesday, Arrived today by courier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sent my Lumia for repair last Tuesday, Arrived today by courier.

All sorted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Hard to say what's wrong.

If I remember right for myself (Irish Acc) I set up my payment details over Zune.

Set up my mums account on the phone using an Ulster Bank Visa Debit card.

Last thing you could try is going into your Microsoft account (your Hotmail/ Live ID)

https://commerce.microsoft.com/PaymentHub/ you can add payment method directly there. Could give that a try too

The angry birds saga: this didn't work either, so I abandoned it, and we bought my mam a Nexus 7 for Christmas, so she can play Bridge aswell.

The wierd thing, she's just gone to Spain on holidays....and guess what's suddenly appeared and is working on her phone - Angry Birds :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

kaizersoze wrote: »

All sorted?

Yeah :D When I sent them the phone the cover for the Mini usb port was broken and They fixed it :P

Phone charging perfectly now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Any indication yet when Win7.8 is going to be made available for this?

irish-stew wrote: »

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

irish-stew wrote: »
    yes, word is just before xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭vectra

yes, word is just before xmas

Wonder will it make the text any bigger.. Can be hard to read at times.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I got an 800 for only €90 in Carphone Warehouse after trading in my 610. It's a much, much better phone, I really like it. Can't wait to see what it's like with 7.8

vectra wrote: »

Wonder will it make the text any bigger.. Can be hard to read at times.:o

It's really don't see that happening. Even with WP8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

It's really don't see that happening. Even with WP8

Im pretty sure theres a feature in WP8 to make the text bigger, i saw screenshots of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Tinie wrote: »
    Im pretty sure theres a feature in WP8 to make the text bigger, i saw screenshots of it.

So you think 7.8 might have it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

vectra wrote: »
    So you think 7.8 might have it?

Not sure to be honest. ITs windows phone 8 in ease of access settings, but wp 7.8 details have been vague so far.

When i turn off the phone and then plug it in to charge the phone comes back on and asks for my pin number. Is the same for everyone? When i turn my phone off i want it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

I found the re switching on odd as well, Apparently iPhones do this as well..God knows why. I normally recharge my phone overnight and have to turn the sound off! or I get odd beeps coming from it and a few days ago a wrong number in the early hours of the morning..... Like you I like the phone turned off when I decide! Not it....Only real complaint!:)

That's normal for all windows phones. Just put it into airplane mode for the night

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That's a pain alright, but it's the norm for all smart devices now. As mentioned iPhones do it too, and I think most Android phones and Tablets do as well.

But, I think if you have it plugged in and then turn it off it stays off then.

The main thing that annoys me and that I miss is the function where alarms would go off even if the phone was off or battery dead. Old Nokia phones used to have that function. I presume it's just Microsoft not building in that feature, might not be so relevant these days seeing as you charge your phone overnight, but would be nice

How do i receive mms messages on the Lumia? I click on "Get media content now 8k" and the phone bleeps but nothing happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

I see that Lumia 800 is only €149 on Meteor PAYG. Is that good value? It seems like it to me. I've been looking to get my daughter a smartphone for Christmas (she's nearly 13), so would this make a good one? We had been looking at the Galaxy s2, but the Lumia seems better value?

Cheers.

SK1979 wrote: »
    I see that Lumia 800 is only €149 on Meteor PAYG. Is that good value? It seems like it to me. I've been looking to get my daughter a smartphone for Christmas (she's nearly 13), so would this make a good one? We had been looking at the Galaxy s2, but the Lumia seems better value?

Cheers.

The S2 would be a slight better phone. More apps, better camera.

Thought at 150 its really good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The S2 would be a slight better phone. More apps, better camera.

Thought at 150 its really good

Lumia 800 is 150. Galaxy S2 is 400.

I personally would go for the Lumia if apps outside the main few aren't important. There's a lovely pink one on O2 too.

S2 is much better phone. But they are at completely different price points.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

It's available on Vodafone for €170 now too.

In relation to the lack of apps, to be honest I think this has become an invalid con for this phone (or WP7 phones in general) as all the main apps are available - I haven't found one app that I need that is not available on the phone. I know there are a lot out there but those all seem to be ones that the general public do not need.

Kids would be into the latest fad app though. Facespotty or whatever. Which might take a while to get to WP7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

SK1979 wrote: »

Cheers.
    It's fantastic value. Your 13 year old will only care about facebook and whatsapp anyway.

S2 is much better phone. But they are at completely different price points.

How is it much better? Ignoring the app ecosystem, which isn't really relevant for a lot of people who just want internet, facebook and a good camera.

chrislad wrote: »
    How is it much better? Ignoring the app ecosystem, which isn't really relevant for a lot of people who just want internet, facebook and a good camera.
    Exactly.

I know so many people who have signed up to ridiculous €40 a month, 24 month long contracts to get an Iphone when all they do is use Facebook and Whatsapp. A Lumia 800 would satisfy a lot of these folks needs for a heck of a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Your 13 year old will only care about facebook and whatsapp anyway.

That's very untrue. Once the next Temple Run/Angry Birds/Draw Something comes out and doesn't hit WP7, your kids will let you know. Believe me.

DjFlin wrote: »
    That's very untrue. Once the next Temple Run/Angry Birds/Draw Something comes out and doesn't hit WP7, your kids will let you know. Believe me.
    All on Windows Phone.

chrislad wrote: »

microSD, up to 32GB
    4.3 inches vs 3.7
    Will get latest OS
    Front 2mp camera
    1080p@30fps video capture
    Dual-core 1.2 vs single core 1.4
    microUSB v2.0 (MHL), USB On-the-go
    Li-Ion 1650 mAh vs Li-Ion 1450 mAh
    Bluetooth v3.0 vs 2.1
    1 GB RAM vs 512mb

In general terms the camera and sound quality get much poorer reviews on the 800 than the S2. That said its fine for a mid priced phone. But not a top priced phone.

But under 200 the 800 is a great deal and personally I think the GUI is much better than Android. The S2 is a 400+ phone though.

• Advertisement

All on Windows Phone.

Current favs in ours are Angry Birds Star wars, Bad Piggies, and some Dinosaur thingy.

Anyway the kid might not be a gamer, or interested in the apps. Who's to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

All on Windows Phone.

You're missing my point.

Temple Run is not available on Windows Phone.

Angry Birds arrived months after it was popular on windows phone.

And Draw Something only arrived last week. Everyone with Android and iOS I know were playing the hell out of it when it was first out, now none of them do.

Getting popular apps onto Windows Phone isnt the problem, the problem is getting popular apps onto Windows Phone WHILE they're still popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

hadoken13 wrote: »
    In relation to the lack of apps, to be honest I think this has become an invalid con for this phone (or WP7 phones in general) as all the main apps are available.

Maybe so, but as someone said above, you have to wait forever for them, by which point they are old news. WP is always last for apps, if they even reach it. It's one thing saying all the apps are there, but it's not much use when you have to wait months and months for them after everyone on iOS and Android has them. Saying the apps are there is only half of the debate, because going forward WP will always be last to get everything.

No sign of banking apps yet, or instagram, and there's probably more "main apps" that havent arrived yet if one was inclined to search.

Also, many of the "main apps" that are there are utter ****e compared to the iOS versions or Android versions. It's like developing them for WP is an after thought or something.

I disagree that the apps issue is not a con for this phone any more. The app ecosystem is very weak compared to the other two, and availability of apps is only part of the debate.

Bring on the Nexus 4!

microSD, up to 32GB
    4.3 inches vs 3.7
    Will get latest OS
    Front 2mp camera
    1080p@30fps video capture
    Dual-core 1.2 vs single core 1.4
    microUSB v2.0 (MHL), USB On-the-go
    Li-Ion 1650 mAh vs Li-Ion 1450 mAh
    Bluetooth v3.0 vs 2.1
    1 GB RAM vs 512mb

In general terms the camera and sound quality get much poorer reviews on the 800 than the S2. That said its fine for a mid priced phone. But not a top priced phone.

But under 200 the 800 is a great deal and personally I think the GUI is much better than Android. The S2 is a 400+ phone though.

microSD, up to 32GB - Most people are perfectly happy with 16gb
    4.3 inches vs 3.7 - Size isn't everything
    Will get latest OS - I wouldn't bank on this until it actually happens
    Front 2mp camera - For all the video calling that everyone does? Again, not really a selling point
    1080p@30fps video capture - I'll give you this
    Dual-core 1.2 vs single core 1.4 - WP7 doesn't need dual core to run silky smooth.
    microUSB v2.0 (MHL), USB On-the-go - MHL is all well and good but haven't ever had anyone asking me about it. The USB drive is handy alright.
    Li-Ion 1650 mAh vs Li-Ion 1450 mAh - How long is a piece of string? Doesn't really matter in terms of average use. You still get the full day, you still have to charge it every night.
    Bluetooth v3.0 vs 2.1 - What's the difference? Ask that to 10 people, and if one person tells you, without searching, I'll be shocked.
    1 GB RAM vs 512mb - Again, WP7 doesn't need as much RAM.

This is based on nearly 8 years of selling phones, and selling smartphones since the HTC Hero became the first Android phone on sale in Ireland. Most people don't give a rats about specs, they want a phone that can do internet, email, facebook, twitter, has good space for music and had a good camera. Apps are secondary to those for the most part.

Yeah, Windows Phone needs a bit of work but you have to bear in mind that it's only 2 years old. Android and iOS are 5+ years old. When developers who work on Windows with C++ etc can now develop for WP8 with very little work, it will explode, in terms of apps available. Yes, Android and iOS are more popular, but that doesn't make them better.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I dislike when people call specs. You can't say that a 4.3in screen is better than a 3.7in. It's dependent on the person. Android phones have more memory, because they *need* more memory to run efficiently. WP7 doesn't, nor does WP8.

None of those 'features' are worth an extra 250e either! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Thanks for the advice lads.

My daughter would be mainly using it for Facebook, etc so she wouldn't miss the app's that much. She's not invested in iTunes or Apple / Android eco systems so it really makes sense to get this for the cracking price on PAYG through Meteor. I'll probably sign her up to the rolling 30 day sim only play then for €20 a month that gives the 200 mins / texts and 1gb data. That'll work out a lot cheaper than trying to get a S2 etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement