Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

My anomaly scan was booked on the day I had the 12 week booking appointment and scan because this is when they have a more accurate due date to go by :)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Allirog wrote: »
    My anomaly scan was booked on the day I had the 12 week booking appointment and scan because this is when they have a more accurate due date to go by :)

Thanks Allirog :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

No prob. Hopefully you'll get your letter soon too. The girls in the coombe are fantastic so you'll definitely hear from them with your appointment. It's so exciting! This is my first too and I'm a nervous wreck but the excitement is huge too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rachieqtpie

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    You should have your appointment five working days after posting the forms. I got mine over Christmas, I'll be exactly 12 wks on the day of the booking app.

I am with the Coombe but I haven't git an appointment for my anomaly scan yet is that normal? Or is it meant to come out with the booking appointment?

Maybe it's different in the Coombe but I'm with holles St and I had to ring the fetal section to book my own anomaly scan, the details were on my registration letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

Maybe it's different in the Coombe but I'm with holles St and I had to ring the fetal section to book my own anomaly scan, the details were on my registration letter?

The Coombe is different, as Allirog mentioned they book your anomaly scan straight after your 12 week dating scan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

yep! Thursday at 9.30. I am so nervous! Just hope everything goes ok.

How was it?!

Aw it was amazing. Only word for it. I was very nervous and those few seconds between the prod going over my stomach and the consultant pointing out the little one seemed forever! In reality she found our little nugget almost instantly :)

The scan went great, I am measuring a few days behind which I expected as I knew I had ovulated 3 days later than normal as I was using ovulation sticks - although it is a bit more than I was expecting. I took a hpt a good few days before my period and a week after I ovulated and I got my positive so I cant be measuring quite as early as she is suggesting or there is no way I could have got a positive result on my test. Can that happen? I was a bit worried then but when I said this she said unless there is a difference of over a week in the dates I had in my head and the dates she found it is nothing to worry about as baby could be every so very very slightly measuring small by a few days.

Best part was we got to hear the heartbeat! Perfect and clear, nice and strong and regular beating at 154bpm and my husband got a recording of it which I have listened to a ton of times since we left the clinic!! She says the little one is in a great position as well not too low down towards the cervix or anything.

We are over the moon! It was a really lovely morning, got lots of pictures as well. Just chuffed and grinning like a cat all day :D:D:D

Sounds amazing! Delighted for you both!

Can't wait for mine tomorrow now! (but still scared..) Must be lovely having seen it and feeling reassured all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

Great news Ms Tootsie.

I have my first (private) scan next Thursday. I can't wait. I am just worried, because she said to arrive with a VERY full bladder, that I won't be able to enjoy it as i'll be busting for the loo :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rachieqtpie

Ah Ms tootsie, that's so lovely, a great explanation of how it all feels.

Great everything went well for you!

Got the mama bands yesterday, no major waves of naseau so that's a plus! Trying to think of a good explanation if someone asks why I have two wooden purple bands on my wrists, was at toddler group this morning and kept pulling down my sleeves, other mammys are very aware!! Ha

• Advertisement

cowlove wrote: »
    Great news Ms Tootsie.

I have my first (private) scan next Thursday. I can't wait. I am just worried, because she said to arrive with a VERY full bladder, that I won't be able to enjoy it as i'll be busting for the loo :eek:

I wasnt bursting to go and when I arrived she said my bladder was spot on as too full can also be hard to work with as they are pressing the prod on your abdominal area as they whizz around. I drank a cup of tea and about 1/2 pint water just over an hour before, then between and the hour before and 20 minutes before I slowly drank and finished 3/4 pint of apple juice. I was ready to go to the loo afterwards but definitely not bursting so I was comfortable during the scan. The good thing is, as it will be private you wont be waiting around, I was straight in as soon as I arrived so you wont be stuck hanging around bursting to go to the loo. I hope this helps!

Dobbit wrote: »
    Sounds amazing! Delighted for you both!

Can't wait for mine tomorrow now! (but still scared..) Must be lovely having seen it and feeling reassured all is well.

Oh it felt brilliant to see it Dobbit. Really felt more real and that it is all happening. It all clicked home for my OH as well. He shed a few tears when he heard the heartbeat. Nothing beats that feeling hearing it for the first time I think.
    Ah Ms tootsie, that's so lovely, a great explanation of how it all feels.

Great everything went well for you!

Got the mama bands yesterday, no major waves of naseau so that's a plus! Trying to think of a good explanation if someone asks why I have two wooden purple bands on my wrists, was at toddler group this morning and kept pulling down my sleeves, other mammys are very aware!! Ha

So glad you liked it. It's hard to put into words how it felt!!

YAY for the bands. I am using them and while I still feel nausea it is bearable. By the middle of week six I felt horrendous and was really struggling to keep anything down, I didnt know I could manage work feeling like that. Then I used the bands, thank god for them!! If it is any consolation I have small wrists so I had to get kids ones and mine are purple and pink in like a leopard print style! It's long sleeves all the way for me!

I wasnt bursting to go and when I arrived she said my bladder was spot on as too full can also be hard to work with as they are pressing the prod on your abdominal area as they whizz around. I drank a cup of tea and about 1/2 pint water just over an hour before, then between and the hour before and 20 minutes before I slowly drank and finished 3/4 pint of apple juice. I was ready to go to the loo afterwards but definitely not bursting so I was comfortable during the scan. The good thing is, as it will be private you wont be waiting around, I was straight in as soon as I arrived so you wont be stuck hanging around bursting to go to the loo. I hope this helps!

Thanks Ms Tootsie. I have an hour and a half drive to her so i'll just drink slowly on the way up but not too much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Cowlove are you going to Mullingar? :) She also told me to arrive with a very full bladder, I was very sick at the time so couldn't force myself to drink much. I started drinking a litre of water as we left for the 50 min drive, drank about half of it and wasn't even really needing to go by the time we got there, she said my bladder was perfectly full. My friend went about to burst and had to go pee some of it out, she was too full to comfortably lie there and it's not really necessary to have it that full.

Tbh my own theory of telling people to come with it really full is that as some people are going for very early scans (6-8 weeks, I went at 7+3) and they have no idea of your body shape/size they need you to have a full bladder in case it's too early or difficult to see anything easily.

Hope it all goes well, she's absolutely lovely, you're in good hands :)

Cowlove are you going to Mullingar? :) She also told me to arrive with a very full bladder, I was very sick at the time so couldn't force myself to drink much. I started drinking a litre of water as we left for the 50 min drive, drank about half of it and wasn't even really needing to go by the time we got there, she said my bladder was perfectly full. My friend went about to burst and had to go pee some of it out, she was too full to comfortably lie there and it's not really necessary to have it that full.

Tbh my own theory of telling people to come with it really full is that as some people are going for very early scans (6-8 weeks, I went at 7+3) and they have no idea of your body shape/size they need you to have a full bladder in case it's too early or difficult to see anything easily.

Hope it all goes well, she's absolutely lovely, you're in good hands :)

I am sb :) on your recommendation! Thank you! Plus I have googled her and she does seem to get great reviews. I am really looking forward to meeting her!

Ah grand. I won't go overboard drinking water so! Phew! :D

I am sb :) on your recommendation! Thank you! Plus I have googled her and she does seem to get great reviews. I am really looking forward to meeting her!

Ah grand. I won't go overboard drinking water so! Phew! :D

I'll be looking for commission from her soon :P

I'll be looking for commission from her soon :P

ha ha! How far along are you now?

ha ha! How far along are you now?

I'm 25ish weeks now, just interloping from the May thread because it's pretty quiet :)

I'm 25ish weeks now, just interloping from the May thread because it's pretty quiet :)

It's great to get advice from people that are further along.

Hope it's all going well for you :)

It's great to get advice from people that are further along.

Hope it's all going well for you :)

Yep every day is a learning curve! Everything is going fine, had a hairy few moments very early this morning when I wasn't feeling the usual amount and type of movement, but I woke him/her up with a cold drink and paid for it, doesn't like to be woken, just like its parents :p

If you ever have any questions fire away on the other threads, most people are very helpful here :)

• Advertisement

Ladies, my gf will be joining you (due Aug 20th).

I could do with some advice though!

Do any of ye smoke? My lady is having a very hard time giving up the fags. She quit for a few days, but has been having one before bed for the last 3/4 nights. But last night I wouldn't give her one as I think I shouldn't be smoking that much.

Should I keep saying no, or should I just shut up and give her one a day as she's going through enough?

She's 9 weeks gone btw

Just back from the NF scan. Went great. There's definitely a baby in there, always good to know! And there's only one of them (twins run in our families) and I'm at a very low risk for any chromosomal problems (1 in 4000 or so). Was so weird to see it on a huge screen in front of me. Also apparently he or she loves their sleep, it wouldn't move for ages! I had to cough and jump up and down! She said she hasn't seen such a relaxed baby in ages!

Such a weight off my shoulders seeing it.

Dobbit wrote: »
    Just back from the NF scan. Went great. There's definitely a baby in there, always good to know! And there's only one of them (twins run in our families) and I'm at a very low risk for any chromosomal problems (1 in 4000 or so). Was so weird to see it on a huge screen in front of me. Also apparently he or she loves their sleep, it wouldn't move for ages! I had to cough and jump up and down! She said she hasn't seen such a relaxed baby in ages!

Such a weight off my shoulders seeing it.

Absolutely delighted it went well Dobbit, congratulations!! Where did you get your NF scan done? You mentioned getting your bloods taken for it last week, is it something that has to be done separately?

Hopefully he or she will still love their sleep come August time hehe.

I could do with some advice though!

Do any of ye smoke? My lady is having a very hard time giving up the fags.
    Should I keep saying no, or should I just shut up and give her one a day as she's going through enough?

She's 9 weeks gone btw

I am afraid I dont smoke so I cant really give you any advice on how to help her stop. But smoking is extremely harmful for the baby. There are over 4,000 chemicals in a cig - none of which should be induced by a baby. Perhaps suggest she try patches or sprays that help with the cravings. It is a hard habit to kick but at the end of the day it is for the best for the baby.

Absolutely delighted it went well Dobbit, congratulations!! Where did you get your NF scan done? You mentioned getting your bloods taken for it last week, is it something that has to be done separately?

Hopefully he or she will still love their sleep come August time hehe.

Thanks! The pics are so detailed it's crazy. We got it done in Merrion Fetal Health which is attached to Holles Street. I'm attending there so it seemed logical. The bloods are taken a week before the scan itself to give them time to analyse them.

I am afraid I dont smoke so I cant really give you any advice on how to help her stop. But smoking is extremely harmful for the baby. There are over 4,000 chemicals in a cig - none of which should be induced by a baby. Perhaps suggest she try patches or sprays that help with the cravings. It is a hard habit to kick but at the end of the day it is for the best for the baby.

I also don't smoke but I agree with Ms Tootsie, she should try to steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

She should definitely try her best to stop but at the same time she has to do it - I don't think you saying no or refusing to let her is the way to go in the long run

She should definitely try her best to stop but at the same time she has to do it - I don't think you saying no or refusing to let her is the way to go in the long run

Thanks for that. So I'm thinking leave her with the nighttime smoke and wean her off by sharing it with her until she's just taking a drag and then off them.

Thanks for that. So I'm thinking leave her with the nighttime smoke and wean her off by sharing it with her until she's just taking a drag and then off them.

Or how about you give up too? That way she won't have someone to share it with, less access to them, etc. They were just saying on tv yesterday that pregnant women whose partners still smoke are more likely to continue smoking during pregnancy.

• Advertisement

Or how about you give up too? That way she won't have someone to share it with, less access to them, etc. They were just saying on tv yesterday that pregnant women whose partners still smoke are more likely to continue smoking during pregnancy.

Great point spottybananas! my husband offered to give up drink for the length of my pregnancy. In the end I told him it was grand, but him having a pint has no passive effect on the baby.

Advertisement