Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

That's not necessarily true Maq. Remember in 2010, the second and most brutal cold spell of that record breaking month came directly from the North.

As per Met.ie extreme Weather Events December 2010-16th to 25th: A cold front moving southwards on the 16th re-introduced an arctic airstream across
    the country. Bitterly cold Northerly winds brought snow showers in many areas, most frequently
    along Atlantic and Irish Sea coasts, causing considerable disruption of road and air travel. Freezing
    conditions persisted for long periods, with the temperature remaining below 0°C for nine
    consecutive days in some inland areas.

The lowest
    December air temperature ever measured in the country, -17.5°C, was recorded at the
    climatological station of Straide, Co. Mayo, on the morning of the 25th
    And northern Ireland broke it's all time record when it recorded -18.7 during this time.

On December 17/18th after the Snow had cleared temperatures dropped like a stone. Almost a 10 degree drop in 1hr was recorded in NI.

I believe MT called it the Greenland Express. So no you don't need sustained cold in the East, that Cold spell was entirely of a Northerly origin. In fact you could say an Easterly was wishy in comparison to that Northerly

That was a really exceptional event though. It wasn't your regular northerly with a day or two of polar maritime air, it looked more like a lobe of the polar vortex descending down on us.

archives-2010-12-16-0-0.png

And by a couple of days later we were back in a more easterly flow and tapping back into the cold air to our east again.

archives-2010-12-19-12-0.png

I'd say that in that case it was a combination of the cold air from the north and the east that resulted in such sustained cold.

archivesnh-2010-12-17-12-1.png

The blocking on those charts really is something else. I doubt we'll see the likes of that again in December for a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭gluppers

Snow update:

Is It Snowing yet?
    @IsItSnowinInIRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

That was a really exceptional event though. It wasn't your regular northerly with a day or two of polar maritime air, it looked more like a lobe of the polar vortex descending down on us.

And by a couple of days later we were back in a more easterly flow and tapping back into the cold air to our east again.

I'd say that in that case it was a combination of the cold air from the north and the east that resulted in such sustained cold.

The blocking on those charts really is something else. I doubt we'll see the likes of that again in December for a long time!

Maq, It was the Northerly not an Easterly that lead to that severe cold spell so you can't really say it was a combination of the both that time the Northerly done the damage so to speak.

You are as likely to see Snow in Ireland if not more likely from a Northerly than an Easterly. That's for the Island as a whole and not just East coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

You are as likely to see Snow in Ireland if not more likely from a Northerly than an Easterly. That's for the Island as a whole and not just East coast.

I think it is more what part of the country you happen to be. Idealistically speaking, Northerly based snow is more likely to affect the northern half of Ireland, while easterlies more likely to bring snow to the south. Polar Maritime air, which I think was the point of the original post, rarely brings anything more than the wet, slushy type stuff. although there are, and have been, exceptions.

In the less idealized, realistic world, big snowfalls come from the clashing of the various air masses. Just a few examples:

Jan 1917 (southern 2/3rds mostly affected) resulted from returning polar maritime air mass moving up against a fridged continental.

Apr 1917 (west / southwest mostly affected) Arctic maritime air mass

Jan 1982 (east / southeast mostly affected) Polar maritime clashing with Arctic Maritime

Jan 1987 (east mostly affected) Arctic maritime clashing with continental air mass.

The chart below (a bit untidy as I rushed it together) shows sources of the colder air masses in Winter, which is based on the model devised by J.E Belasco in the early 1950s.

329366.png

New Moon

Maq, It was the Northerly not an Easterly that lead to that severe cold spell so you can't really say it was a combination of the both that time the Northerly done the damage so to speak.

Well the coldest 850 temps for the month for eastern parts anyway was from the easterly/northeasterly flow at the start of the month. Casement recorded -15 around this time. I wouldn't call that wishy washy. ;)

archives-2010-12-1-12-1.png

For northern parts it would have been the northerly on the 17th.

archives-2010-12-17-0-1.png

And cold was already established to our east before the northerly started :

archives-2010-12-14-0-1.png

So as the flow changed from northerly to easterly again around the 19th I think it was the merging of the continental and arctic air that led to the cold being sustained and so severe.

• Advertisement

Your original point was anything from the north is wishy washy. It clearly isn't

What I said was "wishy washy polar maritime", and the vast majority of the time thats what polar maritime is.

Anyway, we'll leave it at that! :P

Well the coldest 850 temps for the month for eastern parts anyway was from the easterly/northeasterly flow at the start of the month. Casement recorded -15 around this time. I wouldn't call that wishy washy. ;)

I wouldn't call -18.7 in NI wishy washy which came from a Northerly which you implied is Wishy washy

For northern parts it would have been the northerly on the 17th.

And cold was already established to our east before the northerly started :

No one is disputing that but it was a Northerly outbreak not an Easterly.

So as the flow changed from northerly to easterly again around the 19th I think it was the merging of the continental and arctic air that led to the cold being sustained and so severe.

Once again it was the Northerly. It brought deep cold over Ireland and once the Snow stopped we went in to a deep freeze. The East component had nothing to do with it

From the UK Met office in relation to second cold snap-A second spell of severe weather began on Thursday 16 December as very cold Arctic air pushed down across the UK from the north. Snow showers affected the north and west on Friday 17 December, while there was heavier snow across southern England and Wales on Saturday 18 December. Further heavy snow affected south-west England on Monday 20 December. The UK remained under bitterly cold Arctic air until Boxing Day, with day time temperatures again failing to rise above freezing and very severe frosts. While there was little further snowfall, lying snow remained until 26 to 27 December.

Key word is Arctic air

What I said was "wishy washy polar maritime", and the vast majority of the time thats what polar maritime is.

Anyway, we'll leave it at that! :P

Ok fair enough. Just seeing this

Once again it was the Northerly. It brought deep cold over Ireland and once the Snow stopped we went in to a deep freeze. The East component had nothing to do with it

I'm not disputing that the exceptional northerly (and it was exceptional rather than the norm, the coldest December temperatures on record) delivered a second phase of deep cold to Ireland mid-month. What I'm saying is a few days after this, the flow changed back to the east and part of what sustained the cold for so long was that the continental air was cold. How often do you see a cold pool diminish after a few days once you get under the influence of a milder air mass? Of course the continental complement was important because the northerly itself only last a few days.

Anyway I think this is besides the point because what I was originally talking about was polar maritime air, not arctic air...

Hopefully there will be charts from 14/15 worthy of looking back at in years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If one was looking for snow and one was into pattern matching, then one would not be encouraged by the broadly similar pattern which tonight's ECM is showing for Dec 1st.

7y4UrC.jpg

and Dec 1st last year:

Rrea00120131201.gif

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    If one was looking for snow and one was into pattern matching, then one would not be encouraged by the broadly similar pattern which tonight's ECM is showing for Dec 1st.

7y4UrC.jpg

and Dec 1st last year:

Rrea00120131201.gif

SNAP!

Sorry I couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

What you make of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Who lets these so called journalists print this sort of sensationalist rubbish:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/country-braces-for-cold-snap-as-beast-from-east-to-blow-our-way-30768537.html

That sort of thing is ok for a tabloid or the Daily Mail, but not a broadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

kstand wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/country-braces-for-cold-snap-as-beast-from-east-to-blow-our-way-30768537.html

The indo isn't a broadsheet any more. 'Tis but a redtop in another format.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Things are cooling down here in eastern Europe now. The last week has been cool with occasional snow. Daytime temps of 0-3c and night time temps down to -7. Today hasnt got above freezing and its getting dark now. Snow promised tonight and tomorrow. Things seem to stay the same for the next week at least, even into fi it may get even colder come the end of the month.

One thing I've oftern wondered, in ireland you need -8 850 temps for snow, but here we quite often have snow with 0 850 temps? Is it because of the Atlantic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭droidman123

kstand wrote: »

As long as people keep re posting these articles,they will keep printing them.do people not realise when they post these sensationals they are giving the papers free advertising on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭omicron

snaps wrote: »
    Things are cooling down here in eastern Europe now. The last week has been cool with occasional snow. Daytime temps of 0-3c and night time temps down to -7. Today hasnt got above freezing and its getting dark now. Snow promised tonight and tomorrow. Things seem to stay the same for the next week at least, even into fi it may get even colder come the end of the month.

One thing I've oftern wondered, in ireland you need -8 850 temps for snow, but here we quite often have snow with 0 850 temps? Is it because of the Atlantic?

Didn't you say before that you're at a decent elevation?

Also we don't necessarily need -8 850's, just sub zero dewpoints, but the -8's generally help!

omicron wrote: »
    Didn't you say before that you're at a decent elevation?

Also we don't necessarily need -8 850's, just sub zero dewpoints, but the -8's generally help!

Yes, I'm at 650m asl. Never thought of that either!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its too cold for snow! -- Irish Mammies throughout the centuries...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

DeVore wrote: »
    Its too cold for snow! -- Irish Mammies throughout the centuries...

Not just mammies say it ! :mad: People my age believe it too and it irritates me so much! Like theyll fight me on it and tell me Im wrong, one of my friends thinks when it hits zero C the snow freezes or some sh*t and then its not able to snow anymore I dont even know what he was trying to say it was so stupid and other people tell me if theres frost then thats a sign it wont snow because its too cold :confused:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

point out that the Artic reaches -50 C and it still snows somehow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Not just mammies say it ! :mad: People my age believe it too and it irritates me so much! Like theyll fight me on it and tell me Im wrong, one of my friends thinks when it hits zero C the snow freezes or some sh*t and then its not able to snow anymore I dont even know what he was trying to say it was so stupid and other people tell me if theres frost then thats a sign it wont snow because its too cold :confused:

It has some logic to it to be fair, very low temps very often come from dry high pressure systems that fail to deliver Snow, but obviously as you are aware we can and have seen very cold spells that will deliver Snowfall, 2010 being a prime example.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Winter has finally arrived in south western Norway

foto86147.jpg

foto86125.jpg

foto86136.jpg

About 60m asl at lowest levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Not fair - we only had frost this morning - 0 degrees according to the car.

Still, 'tis a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Worth noting that last night saw the 3rd coldest temp of 2014 at my station:

Jan 2014 Minimum temperature -4.6°C on day 14 at time 04:23
    Jan 2014 Minimum temperature -3.0°C on day 13 at time 23:55
    Nov 2014 Minimum temperature -2.9°C on day 24 at time 04:11
    March 2014 Minimum temperature -2.3°C on day 11 at time 07:06

Snowing fairly heavily here in southern poland. -1c and coming down steadily. Strange as last year it was November 24th the first snowfall of the winter too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

snaps wrote: »
    Snowing fairly heavily here in southern poland. -1c and coming down steadily. Strange as last year it was November 24th the first snowfall of the winter too!

Pics please :D

Some lovely runs on the models now. Cold really building in the east. Then in fi its covering most of northern Europe east to west.

• Advertisement

Struggling to post photos via my mobile. Heres a webcam link to the local ski resort a few Km's away:

http://spytkowice.webcamera.pl/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement