Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It's not a tyre topic its about snow and weather so When is it gonna snow.....is the cold stuff on it's way to Ireland? Will we have a white Xmas or what... Any one out there with decent info on the winter this year

I'd bet against a white Xmas. Statically speaking it's quite rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

It's been sooo long since we've had a white Christmas that I actually think we'll get one this year...

Look at it as a 50/1 shot horse winning, not very often but they do happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Loughc wrote: »
    I'd bet against a white Xmas. Statically speaking it's quite rare.

Statically it's once every 5.9 years for Dublin Airport.
    It's been sooo long since we've had a white Christmas that I actually think we'll get one this year...

It was only 4 years since the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

was 7/1, then 4's now 7/2 for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Really white Christmas in 2010, 40cm in the garden that year on Christmas Day near kilternan... -8 degrees at 12pm that day.

I seem to recall it snowing in 2004 or 2005 on Christmas Day too. It's not that rare in recent times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Really white Christmas in 2010, 40cm in the garden that year on Christmas Day near kilternan... -8 degrees at 12pm that day.

I seem to recall it snowing in 2004 or 2005 on Christmas Day too. It's not that rare in recent times

2004. I remember having a few cans at a local GAA pitch and trying to make a snowman that Christmas. The Indian Ocean tsunami occurred the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Currently looks mild for Christmas on the not reliable cfs I think its called

Cool weather for end of november with a small chance of sleet or snow but again unreliable timeframe

Overall I doubt well see the stormy weather of last winter just a regular Winter of rain and wind and frost and some snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

It was 2004, waiting for second child to be born

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SnowDancer

For some reason I can no longer post pictures or images 😔 but there is a great article trending on buzzfeed today called - 24 Pictures That Perfectly Capture How Insane The Snow Is Near Buffalo, New York

Maybe someone else can post a link to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

SnowDancer wrote: »
    For some reason I can no longer post pictures or images 😔 but there is a great article trending on buzzfeed today called - 24 Pictures That Perfectly Capture How Insane The Snow Is Near Buffalo, New York

Maybe someone else can post a link to it

Sorry Snowdancer but since earlier this year any links require a minimum of 50 posts and an account older than 10 days - you're nearly there though :)

Here's the link to the Buzzfeed article you wanted to post 24 Pictures That Perfectly Capture How Insane The Snow Is Near Buffalo, New York

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I did wonder alright when we'd hear the first stories of awnings and windows giving way. Thats a dreadful situation, hazards everywhere. Could be hundred of thousands of premises damaged when the rapid thaw comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I thought this was a dedicated thread for people who like snow and cold no matter how deep it is or how cold.

If so can we please stay on topic ???

No one has said we don't love it my friend. Just that OUR love is not blind or feckless and we will enjoy and love it all the more for being ready and not endangering ourselves or eg the emergency services because we had not taken care of our needs in severe weather.. I love snow as much as anyone but have enough common sense not to run blindly into passion....no pleasure else.. Frostbite and hypothermia are not funny or to be taken lightly. So we are in reality looking after YOu also.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

2004. I remember having a few cans at a local GAA pitch and trying to make a snowman that Christmas. The Indian Ocean tsunami occurred the next day.

That was my second Christmas in Ireland and it started snowing on Christmas Eve so gently and delicately..... I was high on a different mountain and it ruled out going down for Midnight Mass so a quiet and gentle moving into the Holy Night. I stood in my doorway watching it dance.

I am much older now of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Models are still trying to get us into an East or south east flow next month. It's all coming together slowly.

Next week should be colder in comparison to this week and by the 29th could see the change if it even happens. So much can change in 72hr never mind 186hr :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

Lumi wrote: »
    Sorry Snowdancer but since earlier this year any links require a minimum of 50 posts and an account older than 10 days - you're nearly there though :)

Here's the link to the Buzzfeed article you wanted to post 24 Pictures That Perfectly Capture How Insane The Snow Is Near Buffalo, New York

Pic 2 is brilliant.
    Pic 3 reminds me of December 2010 here, clear sky's overhead but black clouds to the southeast where all the snow was falling :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

All you people, if you are going to get 2 metres of snow then remember to take the fags out the car first!

329139.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Models are still trying to get us into an East or south east flow next month. It's all coming together slowly.

Next week should be colder in comparison to this week and by the 29th could see the change if it even happens. So much can change in 72hr never mind 186hr :)

All we can do is hope ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Folk got the right idea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I don't know this this as been posted before, if is as! sorry in advance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwY7BFvXet0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

ardmacha wrote: »
    No problem. You just dig out from your drive to the street. Of course the street may not be in great shape!

AR-141118778.jpg&maxW=602&maxH=602&AlignV=top&Q=80

The fecking eejit :D
    Where did he think he was going? He should have just scrawled on the top of the snow "Not even going to bother with an exercise in futility" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Nice bit of frost around Waterford this morning, great to see a bit of white!

c622987419748a6f5d718f73695b1768.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just a fancy guess then!

Just a fancy guess then!

A bit more than that. There is science behind it. Here is a peer reviewed report from Cohen on the methodology if ya fancy some fancy reading.

http://web.mit.edu/jlcohen/www/papers/Cohenetal_JC14.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I never put much store in this stuff living here, if I was in Poland or Germany fine but perched on the edge of massive body of water it'll only ever be a marginal for us.

I never put much store in this stuff living here, if I was in Poland or Germany fine but perched on the edge of massive body of water it'll only ever be a marginal for us.

Yep but if you have sustained cold to your east then you can expect a good chance of getting outbreaks of cold air heading your way at times, though this gets balanced out by the milder periods, and so over the course of 3 months the temperature anomalies balance out.
    But if you don't have cold established to the east there then you're kinda depending on wishy washy polar maritime northerly stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Just had a look a MT's daily forecast.
    Does the lamp post watching season begin today/tonight? (albeit only sleety etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Coming soon to a town near you........:)

10269408_1008271695856221_1180863378987557896_n.jpg?oh=d670a80d7dfa774c0ea55111319671a5&oe=5518922C&__gda__=1423954707_6af49249c917c9d682bd73ac3d4b5715

On a more serious note, yes the Atlantic is like a big radiator. But as said here already it gets turned off every so often. The Strat Polar Votex is in trouble at the moment. Better chance than last year no matter what folks think but yes nothing is guaranteed so Let the beast from the east enter the picture and it's curtains. Probably be January at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Here is a clip from the recent Buffalo event that shows what it is like to drive from blue skies into blizzard like lake effect snowfall.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152873134319169&set=vb.166805519168&type=2&theater

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Yep but if you have sustained cold to your east then you can expect a good chance of getting outbreaks of cold air heading your way at times, though this gets balanced out by the milder periods, and so over the course of 3 months the temperature anomalies balance out.
    But if you don't have cold established to the east there then you're kinda depending on wishy washy polar maritime northerly stuff.

That's not necessarily true Maq. Remember in 2010, the second and most brutal cold spell of that record breaking month came directly from the North.

As per Met.ie extreme Weather Events December 2010-16th to 25th: A cold front moving southwards on the 16th re-introduced an arctic airstream across
    the country. Bitterly cold Northerly winds brought snow showers in many areas, most frequently
    along Atlantic and Irish Sea coasts, causing considerable disruption of road and air travel. Freezing
    conditions persisted for long periods, with the temperature remaining below 0°C for nine
    consecutive days in some inland areas.

The lowest
    December air temperature ever measured in the country, -17.5°C, was recorded at the
    climatological station of Straide, Co. Mayo, on the morning of the 25th
    And northern Ireland broke it's all time record when it recorded -18.7 during this time.

On December 17/18th after the Snow had cleared temperatures dropped like a stone. 7 degree drop in 1hr was recorded in NI.

I believe MT called it the Greenland Express. So no you don't need sustained cold in the East, that Cold spell was entirely of a Northerly origin. In fact you could say an Easterly was wishy in comparison to that Northerly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement