Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread MkII

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

harr wrote: »
    hi
    just back from my WI and down 2lb taught it would more as i walked 5km for 7 days straight,its a loss and thats the main thing and i got to my 10% loss this morning.Going to the west for a few days holidays next week so am a little worried how i will cope when i wont be cooking my own food and the lack of exercise:(

you wont be able to point things 100% thats just a fact. So just use common sense and eat healthy,drink loads of extra water as naturally on hols you will prob be having a few more drinks than usual :p

Munu Lingo:
    A: Translating dish descriptions is half the battle when you're trying to eat healthily out on the town. Read the description carefully, and be on the lookout for terms that may indicate more caloric preparations. Phrases like battered, breaded, buttered, creamed, crispy and fried are clear red flags. But some other, not so obvious unhealthy terms include:

Au Gratin - topped with cheese or a combination of breadcrumbs and butter.

Bolognaise - a meat sauce often made with full fat milk or cream.

Flambé - small quantities of hot liquid containing alcohol are poured over the food and then set alight.

Glacé - coat with a thin sugar or syrup.

Hollandaise - a rich, creamy sauce made from egg yolks, butter and lemon juice.

Roux - melted butter or fat combined with an equal amount of flour, used for thickening sauces, soups or gravies.

Sauté - food is cooked gently in a little hot fat, shaking the pan to prevent sticking or browning.

Scalloped - usually refers to a potato-based dish made with cream or a creamy sauce.

Healthier Options
    On the other hand, dish descriptions that usually indicate healthier preparations include:

Au jus (in its own juice)
    Baked
    Boiled
    Grilled
    En papillote (food cooked in a foil or greaseproof parcel)
    Pared (thinly peeled vegetables or fruit)
    Poached
    Roasted
    Seared
    Steamed

Mean Greens
    Salads are supposed to be light choices, right? Here are some things you need to know if you want to go green:

Goat's Cheese Salad
    Whether it's ordered from a restaurant menu or supermarket bought, this salad can carry a ProPoints value of up 20! You'd be better off ordering a plain grilled steak with green salad or steamed veggies on the side.

Caesar Salad
    This dish is often higher in ProPoints values than you may expect. Ask for the dressing on the side so you can add just a little, to taste. Or opt for a Greek Salad, with the dressing served separately.

Tomato and Mozarella Salad
    The mozarella cheese can make this simple side salad high in ProPoints values. Try a mixed or vegetable side salad instead if you'd prefer to keep the ProPointsvalues down.

Tip:
    Don't pour it on When possible, order salad dressings and sauces on the side. Dip your fork in, instead of pouring it on, and you'll consume far less without noticing much of a difference in flavour.

2lbs....half of us literly would give up our right arm and first born to lose 2lbs at the moment THATS A BIG LOSS!

I always get ceasar salad out...then again i'm rarely ever eating out....but i ask for it without bacon or crutons, and dressing on side (say please and thank you...and staff are more likely to accommodate you) so its just a chicken salad with dressing by the time i get it LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭flamelily

bubbaloo wrote: »
    On a brighter note, I was at a family event on Sunday and saw a lot of family I haven't seen in a long time. My sister (who was there too) has always been a size 8/10 and always looks fantastic. Anyway, 2 people (yes 2!) thought I was her!!! :D:D:D Now, before you get carried away, I'm a size 14 but I was a size 20/22 so I look very different to how I used to look. If they thought I was my sister, they must have thought my sister had put on a lot of weight (ha ha!) but when they realised it was me they were full of compliments. It was great - loads of people were commenting on my weight loss so I felt great.

Congrats on the loss and the compliments.....I always love it when people notice that I have lossed weight!!!

hehehehe lainy, hate it when people come to visit with yummies.....its hard to resist!!! hope your brother helps remove temptation for you :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    you wont be able to point things 100% thats just a fact. So just use common sense and eat healthy,drink loads of extra water as naturally on hols you will prob be having a few more drinks than usual :p

Munu Lingo:
    A: Translating dish descriptions is half the battle when you're trying to eat healthily out on the town. Read the description carefully, and be on the lookout for terms that may indicate more caloric preparations. Phrases like battered, breaded, buttered, creamed, crispy and fried are clear red flags. But some other, not so obvious unhealthy terms include:

Au Gratin - topped with cheese or a combination of breadcrumbs and butter.

Bolognaise - a meat sauce often made with full fat milk or cream.

Flambé - small quantities of hot liquid containing alcohol are poured over the food and then set alight.

Glacé - coat with a thin sugar or syrup.

Hollandaise - a rich, creamy sauce made from egg yolks, butter and lemon juice.

Roux - melted butter or fat combined with an equal amount of flour, used for thickening sauces, soups or gravies.

Sauté - food is cooked gently in a little hot fat, shaking the pan to prevent sticking or browning.

Scalloped - usually refers to a potato-based dish made with cream or a creamy sauce.

Healthier Options
    On the other hand, dish descriptions that usually indicate healthier preparations include:

Au jus (in its own juice)
    Baked
    Boiled
    Grilled
    En papillote (food cooked in a foil or greaseproof parcel)
    Pared (thinly peeled vegetables or fruit)
    Poached
    Roasted
    Seared
    Steamed

Mean Greens
    Salads are supposed to be light choices, right? Here are some things you need to know if you want to go green:

Goat's Cheese Salad
    Whether it's ordered from a restaurant menu or supermarket bought, this salad can carry a ProPoints value of up 20! You'd be better off ordering a plain grilled steak with green salad or steamed veggies on the side.

Caesar Salad
    This dish is often higher in ProPoints values than you may expect. Ask for the dressing on the side so you can add just a little, to taste. Or opt for a Greek Salad, with the dressing served separately.

Tomato and Mozarella Salad
    The mozarella cheese can make this simple side salad high in ProPoints values. Try a mixed or vegetable side salad instead if you'd prefer to keep the ProPointsvalues down.

Tip:
    Don't pour it on When possible, order salad dressings and sauces on the side. Dip your fork in, instead of pouring it on, and you'll consume far less without noticing much of a difference in flavour.

2lbs....half of us literly would give up our right arm and first born to lose 2lbs at the moment THATS A BIG LOSS!

I always get ceasar salad out...then again i'm rarely ever eating out....but i ask for it without bacon or crutons, and dressing on side (say please and thank you...and staff are more likely to accommodate you) so its just a chicken salad with dressing by the time i get it LOL
    Wow thanks a lot for this i am going to print it and keep it my wallet it will be a big help,i am going to try and get out for a walk for a few of the mornings which might help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

On a brighter note, I was at a family event on Sunday and saw a lot of family I haven't seen in a long time. My sister (who was there too) has always been a size 8/10 and always looks fantastic. Anyway, 2 people (yes 2!) thought I was her!!! :D:D:D Now, before you get carried away, I'm a size 14 but I was a size 20/22 so I look very different to how I used to look. If they thought I was my sister, they must have thought my sister had put on a lot of weight (ha ha!) but when they realised it was me they were full of compliments. It was great - loads of people were commenting on my weight loss so I felt great.

The two best feelings in the world - seeing a minus on the scales at WI and genuine compliments from people.
    My best friend always tells me I look great, love that dress etc. But sometimes I feel very patronised by it - like she's just saying it but doesn't actually mean it. But at the weekend, I was wearing a new top and trousers and she was genuinely shocked that I looked so well.
    I was never one for keeping up with the latest trends, whereas she is and she passed some comment about my outfit being so on trend, which I know she meant as a compliment, but my heart sank a little when she said it. It was like she was saying she didn't think I cld wear those clothes or dress 'on trend'.
    Micki wrote: »
    Yeah i am the same about the jewelry thing! My Pandora has all genuine charms on it and is worth over 600 euro and it is swinging off my arm! I have to be so careful with it. I think i will get the smaller chain though and transfer the charms onto it! That and my shoe size shrinking 2 sizes are the downsides to loosing 6 stone!! I have loads of cool shoes and they are too big.... And you think there are no downsides!!! :D

My OH gave me a 'promise' ring last Christmas 12 months and I had to stop wearing it last summer, it was gone so tight. But now it fits me perfectly. He said he will get it resized when I get to goal.
    One of my reasons for wanting to loose weight is because we want to get married in the future and I want to look my absolute best. I don't think we will even get engaged until I get to goal! (I'm so shallow sometimes!)
    We had loads of weddings last year and I look back on the pics now and absolutely hate them because I look so huge in them. Don't want to be feeling like that forever.
    hi
    just back from my WI and down 2lb taught it would more as i walked 5km for 7 days straight,its a loss and thats the main thing and i got to my 10% loss this morning.Going to the west for a few days holidays next week so am a little worried how i will cope when i wont be cooking my own food and the lack of exercise:(

Like Lainy said 2lbs is brilliant...don't be so hard on yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LinK3

LinK3 wrote: »
    Hi all, happy Monday:) I'm feeling a bit miserable today.have a killer of a sore throat and I ache everywhere. I've pointed all this week, like last week.. I used all my dailies and weeklies but last week I put up 2, so I'm worried for tomorrow.. I need to see a loss and even a half will do..I'm off to trabolgan next week with family so I want to stay focussed.... So nervous about Wi..

Yeahhhhhhh... Had my weigh in and was 1 down, I know it's not the two I gained last week but it's a start.. I got chatting to my leader this week, last week it was the assistant, and we were trying to pin point how I gained 2... I was taking difene!! I pulled a muscle in my shoulder, and it was killing me.. Apparently painkillers make you retain fluid.. I nearly cried with joy! At least all my efforts weren't in vain.. She maintains that I need to keep downing the water and it will show soon.. Off on hols on Friday but determined to keep following the plan;) oooohhhhhh so happy now.. And bought digital scales today so will definitely get my food spot on;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭LollieB25

Off on Holiday on Sunday so excited! Only one more wi left which is tomorrow night.

My aim was to get 2 stone off before the Holiday and I've managed 21.5lbs I know it's going to be impossible to get the rest off in such a short space of time but I'm delighted with what I've managed.

Went out on Saturday Night in a brand new figure hugging dress that I have been putting off for a while. All my friends were commenting on how amazing I looked it really does make it all worth while when other people start to notice.

Once I'm back from my Holiday I'm going to get back on track and my aim is to be a size 12 for my Birthday, I need goals to keep me going or else I fall off the wagon.

Sorry about the long post, I'm just super excited about the Holiday and I need to work out some energy somehow as I just can't concentrate in work :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

hi

2lbs is fab! Go into a shop and pick up 2 x 1lbs of butter and see what you think! It's brilliant - well done!
    kildareash wrote: »
    The two best feelings in the world - seeing a minus on the scales at WI and genuine compliments from people.
    My best friend always tells me I look great, love that dress etc. But sometimes I feel very patronised by it - like she's just saying it but doesn't actually mean it. But at the weekend, I was wearing a new top and trousers and she was genuinely shocked that I looked so well.
    I was never one for keeping up with the latest trends, whereas she is and she passed some comment about my outfit being so on trend, which I know she meant as a compliment, but my heart sank a little when she said it. It was like she was saying she didn't think I cld wear those clothes or dress 'on trend'.

Thanks. I know what you mean. I have a neighbour (who's a bit of a self-absorbed cow tbh!!) and she looked genuinely shocked last week when I met her on the road. She kept saying how "different" I looked and how obvious my weight loss was. I felt like she was only short of saying "god, you were such a fatso, I can't believe you lost weight!!".

Anyway, well done to all those with losses this week. And thanks Lainy for the tips on menu lingo! Very handy to have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

kildareash wrote: »
    My OH gave me a 'promise' ring last Christmas 12 months and I had to stop wearing it last summer, it was gone so tight. But now it fits me perfectly. He said he will get it resized when I get to goal.
    One of my reasons for wanting to loose weight is because we want to get married in the future and I want to look my absolute best. I don't think we will even get engaged until I get to goal! (I'm so shallow sometimes!)
    We had loads of weddings last year and I look back on the pics now and absolutely hate them because I look so huge in them. Don't want to be feeling like that forever.

I'm on the same page as you Kildareash! We want to get married in the next few years and I don't want to be the size of a house walking up the aisle! We're not even engaged yet so it's kinda silly for me to even think of that - but we did have a quick (very quick) look in the window of the Jewellers the other weekend! :D:D:D:D:D I was on a high for the whole week :D:D:D:D

Wow thanks a lot for this i am going to print it and keep it my wallet it will be a big help,i am going to try and get out for a walk for a few of the mornings which might help :)

Good Idea! I'm putting together my own ww guide book at the moment, just for my self, cos ww online, i dont have any little book i can flick thru. and i constantly losing recipes...so printing them out and having them together in my own Handy WW Guide :)

Going to print my self a copy of that Menu lingo aswell..

I'm sure there is an app i can get to scan documents things into my phone....that would be SO freaking handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SAexpat

Good Idea! I'm putting together my own ww guide book at the moment, just for my self, cos ww online, i dont have any little book i can flick thru. and i constantly losing recipes...so printing them out and having them together in my own Handy WW Guide :)

Going to print my self a copy of that Menu lingo aswell..

I'm sure there is an app i can get to scan documents things into my phone....that would be SO freaking handy!

I have started a book Lainy - just a hard cover book and in there I am writing down tips on which brands have the best points value, points on various items that have been posted on the forum and of course some of the recipes that I have tried and liked! I need to go and get some stuff for my healthy eating and when I go into tesco or aldi I go blank and can't always remember what sausages or rice etc is the lowest point option.Hopefully this will help!

I just need the time to trawl through the old forum before they remove it!!!

Went for my WI this morning , down 2 1/2 lb which I am happy about although my home scale showed more!
    this week is going to be a challenge as I am going to my sister for the weekend and there will be lots of cups of tea and (normally cake!) so will have to be prepared!

• Advertisement

I have a couple of things pointed and printed in a little binder now

Baking ingredients,
    Cheese/Dairy/Creams,
    Eating out - Eddie Rockets, Subway, Dominos, 4 Star Pizza, Nandos,
    Chocolate Bars
    Alcohol (nights out...which are rare)
    Desserts/Ice Creams
    Dressings/Sauces/gravys
    Coffees ie starbucks, costa coffee, gloria jeans, M&S

I'm including less healthy stuff....so that I cant be tempted to say "ah i'll just take it from my weeklies"...i'll have the list printed...and hopefully the horrendious high pp value of some "treats" will put me off them. It'll be there in black and white IN THE KITCHEN...so there is no denying it...or "oh god i didnt think it would be that high"

I'm never really eat out. but I do have a friend who when visits we end up eating OUT for every single meal...really annoying....and expensive. She's due to visit soon, so at least I'm prepared. I actually <3 subway but she loves eddie rockets.

And anyone who knows me....knows I love my coffee....i dont care if its 28 degrees...i still want a tall skinny vanilla latte :P 4pp! better than a pint of kopperberg at 8pp :O

I'm prepared to eat/drink right
    I'm prepared to work hard
    I'm prepared to lose weight
    I'm prepared to live my life

ooooooh mum is going baking fruit cake (gross) but means we got MOUNTAINS of cooking apples! NOM NOM NOM Srewed apple with spoon of brown sugar done in the oven! 1pp dessert for after dinner! and these apples ARE HUGE!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Layla0509

A nutrional kina ? Can anyone help me out is it best to have a protein rich meal before exercise?

Would this be ok from a nutritional point of view or am I way off does it seem unbalanced?
    251g turkey breast
    Romaine lettuce, onion, tomato, cucumber
    15ml sweet chilli salad dressing
    1 dunnes wholemeal pitta
    300g baby potatoes made into Cajun wedges

And another thing I've 3pp left over now and by the time I get back from Zumba it's 10.30 so kinda late to be eating but my ? Is what's best to eat after exercise is it a banana?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

SAexpat wrote: »
    Love Merengues! I normally make Rachel Allen recipe ( have not pointed it as I have not made them lately., what recipe do you use? You have made me want meremgues!! LOL!!

one I found online:

Making Meringues

Kitchen Utensils Required

1. Large glass mixing bowl
    2 Electric mixer
    3. Grease-free Tablespoon
    4. Baking Trays
    5. Greaseproof paper

To make 12-15 meringues, all you need is:

3 large egg whites
    175g (6oz) caster sugar
    A pinch of salt

Method:

1. Heat the oven to gas mark 2 (150C-300F). Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.

2. Place the egg whites and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. Whisk on a low speed for 1 minute, then increase the speed to medium and whisk for another 2-3 minutes, or until the egg whites form stiff peaks. If you lift the whiskattachment out of the bowl, the mixture should look fluffy and cling to them, while the peaks remain stiff and moist-looking.

3. Thengradually add the sugar a tablespoon at a time,whisk on fast speed, until you have a stiff and glossy mixture.

4. Using a large,grease-free metal spoon, place freeform shapes on to the prepared baking trays.

5. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the meringues are pale and dry. Turn off the oven and allow the meringues to cool in the oven.

Top tip:
    Oven pre-heated to gas mark 2 (150C-300F)

Temp is then reduced to mark 1 (140C-275F). for baking.

Once meringues are baked,oven is turned fully off,leaving meringues to cool until oven is completely cold.

Layla0509 wrote: »
    A nutrional kina ? Can anyone help me out is it best to have a protein rich meal before exercise?

Would this be ok from a nutritional point of view or am I way off does it seem unbalanced?
    251g turkey breast
    Romaine lettuce, onion, tomato, cucumber
    15ml sweet chilli salad dressing
    1 dunnes wholemeal pitta
    300g baby potatoes made into Cajun wedges

And another thing I've 3pp left over now and by the time I get back from Zumba it's 10.30 so kinda late to be eating but my ? Is what's best to eat after exercise is it a banana?

Dont know where I picked it up might have been from a gym instructor, but to leave an hour after eating before exercising... just to let the food settle. and for the same after wards, cos your body can still be burning calories after excercising after you've actually stopped.

even the turkey breast on its own would be enough for a protein snack. the potatoes might be a bit heavy on the stomach if your going to be bouncing around the place to zumba :) I know i cant excercise on a full full tummy....cos my body just wants to get rid of the food....if you know what i mean....

maybe ditch the pitta bread...you have tonnes of carbs in the potatoes. so to as you said. balance it out. maybe have another bit of turkey cooked for when you get home for protein recovery, help your muscles mend over night
    Maybe have a banana smoothie with your dinner, skimmed milk, banana (i must get back into smoothies...our blender is just a bitch to clean) there is some protein even in skimmed milk, and banana is a energy boost.

PS LOVE LOVE LOVE your wedges :P just had some tonight with some yellow fin sole!

Can someone smack me round the head and tell me to COP ON! I've been very lazy and ah sure...its about Xpp.

TRACK TRACK TRACK! I need to take my own freaking advice!

Dont know where I picked it up might have been from a gym instructor, but to leave an hour after eating before exercising... just to let the food settle. and for the same after wards, cos your body can still be burning calories after excercising after you've actually stopped.

even the turkey breast on its own would be enough for a protein snack. the potatoes might be a bit heavy on the stomach if your going to be bouncing around the place to zumba :) I know i cant excercise on a full full tummy....cos my body just wants to get rid of the food....if you know what i mean....

maybe ditch the pitta bread...you have tonnes of carbs in the potatoes. so to as you said. balance it out. maybe have another bit of turkey cooked for when you get home for protein recovery, help your muscles mend over night
    Maybe have a banana smoothie with your dinner, skimmed milk, banana (i must get back into smoothies...our blender is just a bitch to clean) there is some protein even in skimmed milk, and banana is a energy boost.

PS LOVE LOVE LOVE your wedges :P just had some tonight with some yellow fin sole!

Can someone smack me round the head and tell me to COP ON! I've been very lazy and ah sure...its about Xpp.

TRACK TRACK TRACK! I need to take my own freaking advice!

Thanks Lainy I ate that at 7 and zumbas at 9.15 I'm the same a full stomach and I'd be sick!
    I added the pitta out of habit I think, thinking it would keep me fuller for longer iykwim

So if I finish Zumba at 10.15 I should wait till 11.15 ish to eat something yikes that's very late will a glass of milk (full fat) do me afterwards it being protein n all for repair

Thanks Lainy I ate that at 7 and zumbas at 9.15 I'm the same a full stomach and I'd be sick!
    I added the pitta out of habit I think, thinking it would keep me fuller for longer iykwim

So if I finish Zumba at 10.15 I should wait till 11.15 ish to eat something yikes that's very late will a glass of milk (full fat) do me afterwards it being protein n all for repair

if its just a snack and not a full dinner, then straight afterwards wont do any harm....you gotta do what suits your schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hi everyone.
    I took the plunge and joined WW tonight. I have a lot of work to do!! Hopefully I will get there, this is really the first time I've made much of a move to lose weight. I'm about 6st away from my goal weight so I know I have a long journey ahead of me....
    The pro points plan is very realistic before, any other time I've tried to eat healthy I've just thought about cutting out all junk food. It doesn't work for me as when I give in to the junk food, I feel like a failure and just go back to the comfort of junk food. I like that I can have little treats here and there, it's more sustainable for me! I look forward to getting to know you all, and hearing about your weight loss!

evening all :)

had a yummy dinner of fresh haddock fillet, veg and boiled spuddies.....it was simple and very yummy for 8 pp, then was out and about in my garden watering my new trees.

Thanks for the Meringue recipe GT, that looks nice and easy, might give it a go tomorrow after the little people are in bed .... they love to 'help' when I am baking.....bless their little cotton socks .... its usually a disaster :D though that might just be my baking skills :o

hey Lizt.....welcome, I am a newbie too.....this thread is BRILLIANT....loads of hints and tips!!!

The book thing is a great idea Lainy.....I have bits written all over the place and end up having to re-point things I have already done, would be handy to have it all in one place!!!

right tis fruit salad and yougurt time, i feel a snack attack coming on

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lass74

Hi all, just home after joining Weight Watchers this evening, so looking for lots of advice from the professionals. Its all a bit daunting but i am going to give it a shot. Have a lot of weight to lose but im going to do it in stages. looking forward to being able to buy straight off the rail rather that going home empty handed.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fionas046

Down 2lb :p

Only 1.5lb to goal weight. I'm off on hols next Tuesday so was not going to have a WI but I thought better of it. I researched to find a meeting close to the airport at lunchtime and when I said this to my leader she said ah no!
    She has been there for me from day 1 and so is coming early next Tuesday so I can have a WI before I go. I am praying for 1.5lb :o

I am so lucky to have such a supportive leader, not to mention all my 'online' support! :D

fionas046 wrote: »
    Down 2lb :p

Only 1.5lb to goal weight. I'm off on hols next Tuesday so was not going to have a WI but I thought better of it. I researched to find a meeting close to the airport at lunchtime and when I said this to my leader she said ah no!
    She has been there for me from day 1 and so is coming early next Tuesday so I can have a WI before I go. I am praying for 1.5lb :o

I am so lucky to have such a supportive leader, not to mention all my 'online' support! :D

way to go fionas046 that is brilliant!!! and your leader sounds fantastic as well, what a fab way to start your hols!!! :cool: you have come this far me thinks you will get that last 1.5lbs sorted!!!

right i'm off to make some spud soup to have for my lunch tomorrow....if i make it now I'll have to eat it for my lunch tomorrow!!!!!

1st of june tomorrow! 5lbs challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Rugby Chic26

Hi All! Loving all the threads on this! I joined WW last week & had my weigh in last night & I was down 4lbs! Delighted with it! My first week was much easier than what I thought it would be! I find the whole pro-points system very good! I could really see myself sticking with it! So to the new people who are starting their first week - I would recommend sticking with it for the week & you will definitely see the results next week - good luck! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Well done Fiona. Wouldn't it be fab to be down the 1.5lbs and be at goal for your hols? Best of luck to you.

I am delighted with myself. I had my WI and I was down 2lbs! That's officially 3 stone and 1lb off! I got my 6th silver seven, my 3rd stone and a round of applause etc. :D

Welcome to the newbies - you can do it! If I can lose 3 stone, anyone can! Good luck to all.

Well done Fiona. Wouldn't it be fab to be down the 1.5lbs and be at goal for your hols? Best of luck to you.

I am delighted with myself. I had my WI and I was down 2lbs! That's officially 3 stone and 1lb off! I got my 6th silver seven, my 3rd stone and a round of applause etc. :D

Welcome to the newbies - you can do it! If I can lose 3 stone, anyone can! Good luck too all.

thats fantastic bubbaloo......congrats on your 3 stone loss......thats amazing!!!

I am heading away to bed now.....my lunch box for work is packed and pointed as is my little 'snack attack pack' so I am ready to face another day......have a fabby evening whatever you are up to :cool:

• Advertisement

some one set a challange a while back, I think it was 7lbs by a certain date ... when was that date and when was the challange set?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fionas046

flamelily wrote: »
    way to go fionas046 that is brilliant!!! and your leader sounds fantastic as well, what a fab way to start your hols!!! :cool: you have come this far me thinks you will get that last 1.5lbs sorted!!!

Welcome to the newbies - you can do it! If I can lose 3 stone, anyone can! Good luck too all.

Thanks everyone, sooooo excited. Thats 9st .5lb gone only 1.5lb to go! :D
    Never thought I'd get there but I'm beginning to think maybe just maybe........

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

fionas046 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, sooooo excited. Thats 9st .5lb gone only 1.5lb to go! :D
    Never thought I'd get there but I'm beginning to think maybe just maybe........

OMG that is amazing Fiona, well done!!!! Any tips for those of us starting out?

Made the cauliflower & fennel soup yesterday, it's fabby, even nicer the second day.

This is prob a stupid ? But how do you measure your intensity I've been doing Zumba since jan and I feel I'm putting more into it now than before like I'm sweating straight away
    What's the rule for gauging your intensity with WW?

This is prob a stupid ? But how do you measure your intensity I've been doing Zumba since jan and I feel I'm putting more into it now than before like I'm sweating straight away
    What's the rule for gauging your intensity with WW?

Intensity is the amount of physical power, expressed as a percentage of maximum, the body uses in performing an activity. For example, it defines how hard the body has to work to walk a mile in 20 minutes or to play a game of tag

Measuring Intensity
    There are several ways to measure exercise intensity One common method measures the amount of oxygen consumed by the body as an activity is performed. This method is expressed in studies as the percentage of maximum oxygen consumption, or %-VO2 max. The oxygen consumption method is used most often in a research setting.

Another method of measurement works with the increased heart rate that occurs with exercise. The greater the intensity of the activity being performed, the higher the heart rate. This method is expressed as a percentage of maximum heart rate or %-MHR.

Measuring heart rate is the method most often used to evaluate intensity in everyday life or to set the level of exercise in physical training.

Low, moderate and high levels of exercise intensity, as measured by heart rate, are defined as follows:
    Low (or Light) is about 40-54% MHR.
    Moderate is 55-69% MHR.
    High (or Vigorous) is equal to or greater than 70% MHR.

An individual's maximum heart rate can be estimated by using the formula: 220 &150 age in years = MHR. Pulse rate can then be monitored while an exercise is being done and the % MHR calculated to assess intensity.

So, for example, the estimated MHR for a 50-year-old individual would be 220 - 50, or 170. Let's say that an individual's heart rate measured 100 beats per minute performing a certain activity. Since 100 is approximately 59% of the MHR (170), that would be considered a moderate level of exercise. The overall levels of intensity for a 50-year-old would be as follows:

Low Intensity: heart rate is 68-to-92 beats per minute.
    Moderate Intensity: heart rate is 93-to-118 beats per minute.
    High Intensity: heart rate is more than 119 beats per minute.

Rating of Perceived Exertion
    A simpler method than monitoring heart rate, which also corresponds with measured MHR, is the Rating of Perceived Exertion (or RPE).2 RPE is measured by having a person rate how they feel (psychological perception) when performing an activity. This kind of a survey, in which a person rates their perceptions, attitudes or feelings on a scale, is known as a Likert scale.

The ratings of physical effort and feelings correspond with heart rate, and people can learn to exercise at a desired level of intensity based on their subjective feelings of exertion. It should be noted, however, that people who have been previously inactive tend to overestimate their intensity level, especially for moderate activity.

Level of Intensity RPE Physical Cues
    Light Easy Does not induce sweating unless it's a hot, humid day. There is no noticeable change in breathing patterns.

Moderate Somewhat hard Will break a sweat after performing the activity for about 10 minutes. Breathing becomes deeper and more frequent. You can carry on a conversation but not sing.

High Hard Will break a sweat after 3-5 minutes. Breathing is deep and rapid. You can only talk in short phrases.

All activity – whether done at a light, moderate, or high level of intensity – expends energy, and therefore is helpful for weight loss. The more intense the exercise and/or the longer the duration of exercise, the greater the energy expended per minute and the greater the impact on weight loss.

• Advertisement

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    some one set a challange a while back, I think it was 7lbs by a certain date ... when was that date and when was the challange set?:confused:
    Found it(in the old thread):
    numbernerd wrote:
    on 07-05-2011, 08:31: The June bank hol is one month away..-7lbs anyone??!

c'mon all, fess up, who accepted the challange and how close are you to hitting it?

I'm @6.5lbs with tomorrows WI still to add to itcool.gif

c'mon all, fess up, who accepted the challange and how close are you to hitting it?

Think I did and I'm already down 8lbs next WI is on Sunday morning so hoping for another 2 by then fingers crossed

Took the challenge, since 7 May I'm down 2 1/2 pounds only :( but a weigh in due on Thursday evening so hopefully that will up it a bit before the bank holiday!

Right, garlic and potato soup made for tomorrow for lunch! Think i'll have it with a grilled chicken breast. With a skimmed milk banana smoothie :)

Soup 6pp
    Chicken Breast 4pp
    Smoothie 2pp

Will do an hour on treadmill about hour or two after lunch :) I'm also trying to cut back on the skinny mocha....slight week point! From now on...only going to let my self have coffee....after I've had at least my 3 pints of water.

Dinner I think I'll make the Quorn Lasagne, and that'll do me for dinner tomorrow, and lunch and dinner tomorrow.....

What can i have with the lasagne...tho ? I dont really do salad...does nothing for me...doesn't fill me up....and feels like a punishment... and i've been eating way too many potatos lately so dont want to make the wedges....

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Great results on here tonight. Congratulations to Fiona046 & bubbaloo & welcome to everyone starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LinK3

I had the sweet potato wedges this evening, I think I saw the recipe on here but it was a largish one so I'm not sure how many points... Can anyone help, just pointing the potato! I also had a tblsp of bramwells extra light Mayo (1 pp for 3 tblsp) so I counted 0 and the aldi chilli ketchup! Not sure about points for that either so if anyone could let me know, I'd appreciate it.. I will also be compiling my little notebook so I won't always have to bug people;) thanks for the support.... And I'm up for the 5lbs challenge Lainy.. Count me in...

LinK3 wrote: »
    I had the sweet potato wedges this evening, I think I saw the recipe on here but it was a largish one so I'm not sure how many points... Can anyone help, just pointing the potato! I also had a tblsp of bramwells extra light Mayo (1 pp for 3 tblsp) so I counted 0 and the aldi chilli ketchup! Not sure about points for that either so if anyone could let me know, I'd appreciate it.. I will also be compiling my little notebook so I won't always have to bug people;) thanks for the support.... And I'm up for the 5lbs challenge Lainy.. Count me in...

i <3 that mayo! waaaaay nicer than helmens lighter than light!

100g of sweet potato is 3pp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Wondering how many ppts would be in a regular fairy cake? My ma made some today and I couldnt not have one!

Another thing, is a bottle of Coors Light considered 'light' lager?

My second weigh in tomorrow night and Im terrified I havent lost anything! Have been very good all week, except for Sunday night! Lots of Coors light...

think i'm going to use a ww bagel to make tomatoey cheesy garlic bread....

cut a bagel,
    spread with tomato concentrate, mush in some herbs/garlic
    sprinkle with ww grated cheese
    Grill

Lasagne (10pp)
    bagel (4pp)
    ww cheese 45g (2pp)

DINNER!

Wondering how many ppts would be in a regular fairy cake? My ma made some today and I couldnt not have one!

My second weigh in tomorrow night and Im terrified I havent lost anything! Have been very good all week, except for Sunday night! Lots of Coors light...

Alcohol pp attached (Thank Skinnydoll)

LOL love the screen name :P my new puppy is called Rua haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lorimc

Intensity is the amount of physical power, expressed as a percentage of maximum, the body uses in performing an activity. For example, it defines how hard the body has to work to walk a mile in 20 minutes or to play a game of tag

Measuring Intensity
    There are several ways to measure exercise intensity One common method measures the amount of oxygen consumed by the body as an activity is performed. This method is expressed in studies as the percentage of maximum oxygen consumption, or %-VO2 max. The oxygen consumption method is used most often in a research setting.

Another method of measurement works with the increased heart rate that occurs with exercise. The greater the intensity of the activity being performed, the higher the heart rate. This method is expressed as a percentage of maximum heart rate or %-MHR.

Measuring heart rate is the method most often used to evaluate intensity in everyday life or to set the level of exercise in physical training.

Low, moderate and high levels of exercise intensity, as measured by heart rate, are defined as follows:
    Low (or Light) is about 40-54% MHR.
    Moderate is 55-69% MHR.
    High (or Vigorous) is equal to or greater than 70% MHR.

An individual's maximum heart rate can be estimated by using the formula: 220 &150 age in years = MHR. Pulse rate can then be monitored while an exercise is being done and the % MHR calculated to assess intensity.

So, for example, the estimated MHR for a 50-year-old individual would be 220 - 50, or 170. Let's say that an individual's heart rate measured 100 beats per minute performing a certain activity. Since 100 is approximately 59% of the MHR (170), that would be considered a moderate level of exercise. The overall levels of intensity for a 50-year-old would be as follows:

Low Intensity: heart rate is 68-to-92 beats per minute.
    Moderate Intensity: heart rate is 93-to-118 beats per minute.
    High Intensity: heart rate is more than 119 beats per minute.

Thanks for that, it was really useful, I think I'm going to start to use heart beat and my heart rate monitor to judge the intensity of my exercise, I think I may actually be under pointing my exercise!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Right, garlic and potato soup made for tomorrow for lunch! Think i'll have it with a grilled chicken breast. With a skimmed milk banana smoothie :)

Soup 6pp
    Chicken Breast 4pp
    Smoothie 2pp

Will do an hour on treadmill about hour or two after lunch :) I'm also trying to cut back on the skinny mocha....slight week point! From now on...only going to let my self have coffee....after I've had at least my 3 pints of water.

Dinner I think I'll make the Quorn Lasagne, and that'll do me for dinner tomorrow, and lunch and dinner tomorrow.....

What can i have with the lasagne...tho ? I dont really do salad...does nothing for me...doesn't fill me up....and feels like a punishment... and i've been eating way too many potatos lately so dont want to make the wedges....

You beat me to it with your great idea of making garlic bread. Was going to say you could have some WW or lowfat garlic bread but your idea sounds waaay nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I have a couple of things pointed and printed in a little binder now

Baking ingredients,
    Cheese/Dairy/Creams,
    Eating out - Eddie Rockets, Subway, Dominos, 4 Star Pizza, Nandos,
    Chocolate Bars
    Alcohol (nights out...which are rare)
    Desserts/Ice Creams
    Dressings/Sauces/gravys
    Coffees ie starbucks, costa coffee, gloria jeans, M&S

Hey Lainy, could I get the Eddie Rockets pp off you? Going to Shannon on Friday for an exam and we are staying in a Travelodge that has Eddie Rockets next door so am assuming that that is where we will eat on Friday night. Want to make the best decisions! :D Will be bringing a load of bananas and bran muffins with me though cos the exam starts at 8am and goes on till 12 so we wont have time for breakfast in the morning and I cannot go without my brekkie so will have the bran muffins with me for that :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Mother Teresa

Wow! Some fantastic results!
    Well done to the joiners, this thread is invaluable for tips and support, best of luck in the coming weeks.
    Finally lost 2lbs after my exercise/water plateau. SO thanks everyone for your help and letting me rant.
    I'm hoping its kick started things again! Onwards and down wards!
    On the plus side, my daily walk has become something I look forward to after only 3 weeks!
    Never thought I'd see the day I'd be put out if I couldn't get out for a walk :eek::pac:
    Hope everyone has a good week!

Down 0.75LBS today, I hit the magic 7LBS before the bank holiday:rolleyes:

Little dissapointed, but this was my 4th week without excersise, so it was probably unrealistic to keep expecting 2/2.5LBS again. I cant wait to get my bike, at least yesterday was the closure day for the bike scheme in work so the ball should start rolling now!

on a brighter note: got told a few times this week 'jeeeeessas, you're waisitng away' or 'the weight is just falling of ya, we'll have to send out a search party for ya soon':cool: .... That was nice to hear, but I'm still 14st11.5, which is probably 1.4/2st over where I need to be:rolleyes:

think i'm going to use a ww bagel to make tomatoey cheesy garlic bread....

cut a bagel,
    spread with tomato concentrate, mush in some herbs/garlic
    sprinkle with ww grated cheese
    Grill

Lasagne (10pp)
    bagel (4pp)
    ww cheese 45g (2pp)

DINNER!

I want your dinner :D the Garlic bread thingie sounds YUMMO (as my two year old likes to say :cool:)!!! I don't really like salad either......well I like cucumber and tomato but don't do lettuce etc so somehow my plate looks empty when I do the salad thing!!!

Going to do the maggi thing tonite with some chicken and I keep seeing people mention wedges.....does anyone have a nice, pp friendly recipe for wedges??? Cause me thinks chicken, veggies and some wedges will hit the spot tonite!!!

sign me up for the challenge as well lainy.....need a mini goal to work towards for June!!!

Congrats on the latest weight loss GT and it is great when people start noticing your weight loss :cool:

hmmm suppose I had best start doing some work :rolleyes: be good all

I pointed my basic fairy cake recipe (the rachel allen one I think) which makes 12 and it works out at around 6 pp per fairy cake.....thats plain with no icing etc but it really depends on what recipe your mam used. you can point each ingredient and that will help you work out the pro-points in the cakes. Hope that helps

Sign me up for the 5lb challenge Lainy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Dublin25

Morning All & well done on the losses!

My 2nd WI this eve and am still bricking it! Even though i've been good all week, pointed everything, got to the gym and did a walk (ok not fantastic!) and drank so much more water than i would have but I am still nervous. At this rate i think i always will be!

Count me in for the June challenge! Would like to have a little goal for myself, think i'll just keep this to me and this group - outside friends and family don't need to know.

With the supposed "heat wave" coming, I found a 1 pp Ice pop the other day doing my shopping. Its on the style of fruit pastelle ice pop but has a small topping on it. The topping has the popping candy stuff on it. Bit of a throw back to my childhood but at 1 pp it is good for a treat. They called X-Pops by HB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 dubliin_ali

i made some a few weeks ago - pretty standard receipe, maybe very slighly smaller that a regular bun but with no icing etc and it worked out at 3pps.

On another note - can anyone tell me the pps in a mini mars bar - I was thinking 3 but I didn't have the bag to get the nutritional info from.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement