Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Final Fantasy X HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Mr. K wrote: »
    Added bonuses...like X-2?!

a bonus would be a card saying "SE hereby officially disregard the events of the game formally known as FFX-2 and strip in from Spira's narrative canon"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

a bonus would be a card saying "SE hereby officially disregard the events of the game formally known as FFX-2 and strip in from Spira's narrative canon"

X-2 was very good lads.
    Come on!

Look beyond the three Charlie Angels, think of the cool new factions, their excellent back stories, that creepy (sinister almost) sphere showing what looks like Tidus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hated FFX-2. Not because of the awful story and writing (my god it was bad but sometimes amusing). The battle system was great. It was the fact that if you didn't go through with a faq you'd miss the good ending. Now that I'm not so OCD and I can just look it up on Youtube I really want to go back to it.

Meh, I really enjoyed the stories of the three main male characters as I said!

Battle system wasn't bad either.

EDIT: I also thought the genocide aspect bit was a bit racey for a FF game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyone reckon they might do the same with XII. I've been watching clips on youtube and I'd forgotten how sharply written it is.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone reckon they might do the same with XII. I've been watching clips on youtube and I'd forgotten how sharply written it is.

That's because Matsuno was involved, squares only decent storyteller at the moment and also Alexander O. Smith did the localisation, by far the best localiser in the business. However I feel the story in that game is a mess, you can tell what point Matsuno had stopped writing when he left because things just get wrapped up too quickly and the Bahamut turning up out of no where was pulled out of some ones ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's because Matsuno was involved, squares only decent storyteller at the moment and also Alexander O. Smith did the localisation, by far the best localiser in the business. However I feel the story in that game is a mess, you can tell what point Matsuno had stopped writing when he left because things just get wrapped up too quickly and the Bahamut turning up out of no where was pulled out of some ones ass.

You're right there. I think the single biggest mistake of that game was Vaan (and also Penelo). Plus the story is very disjointed after you land in that desert and you basically spend the next 20 hours walking until you finally get through Feywood and things pick up again.

Having said that if you approach it as sort of a free roaming RPG and do all the marks and side quests and only accidently get yourself involved with the main story it's a great game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I loved XII's big, sprawling map. It seemed like such a step backwards to revert to X's insanely linear world for FFXIII

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I hated FFX-2. Not because of the awful story and writing (my god it was bad but sometimes amusing). The battle system was great. It was the fact that if you didn't go through with a faq you'd miss the good ending. Now that I'm not so OCD and I can just look it up on Youtube I really want to go back to it.

Did you actually manage to do everything and get the bonus ending?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Dunno if I've said this before. But if X-2 was just it's own rpg in it's own world about three bounty hunters with the same battle system and dresspheres would have been the greatest game ever.

Mario007 wrote: »
    You're right there. I think the single biggest mistake of that game was Vaan (and also Penelo).

Rumour has it that Penelo and Vaan being added against Matsuno's wishes was why he abandoned the project.
    carbonkid wrote: »
    Did you actually manage to do everything and get the bonus ending?

I gave up in disgust after I realised that I have missed somethings in previous chapters and had ruined my chances of getting it. Pretty silly reason which is why I want to go back because other than that it was fun if a bit whimsical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Rumour has it that Penelo and Vaan being added against Matsuno's wishes was why he abandoned the project.

Didn't he have breakdown in the middle of it?

That makes kinda sense. The game had a far more mature theme. Penelo and Vaan were younger characters sitting better with the previous FFs. I used to always think that vaan was meant to be a blank slate and if Matsuno had his way there would be character creation and everything for the vaan/you more like western rpgs.

megaten wrote: »
    Didn't he have breakdown in the middle of it?

That's squares official stance. Rumours from the development community say that he wasn't happy with the way management were messing around with the development.
    That makes kinda sense. The game had a far more mature theme. Penelo and Vaan were younger characters sitting better with the previous FFs. I used to always think that vaan was meant to be a blank slate and if Matsuno had his way there would be character creation and everything for the vaan/you more like western rpgs.

Matsuno always wanted Balthier and Basch as the main characters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Matsuno always wanted Balthier and Basch as the main characters.

Wow, talk about the game that could have been. XII was the second FF I played (after FFX) so I gave it a bit of a hard time. Been watching some clips on youtube and I'd forgotten how many new ideas there were. I did like how the plot was political as opposed to "let's stop villain X".
    But Vaan and Penelo though... Urgh.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

Matsuno really knows how to do a political plot line, pity he never got to finish FFXII. Vagrant Story has one of the best plots of any game and Tactics Ogre is a medieval version of the Balkan war during the 1990's.

I've been toying with picking up Vagrant Story on the PSN as it happens.

The 100% ending (though lovely) does not make up for FFX-2

The main reason I strongly dislike FFX-2 is basically what they did to some good characters from FFX.

Lulu was badly written for, Yuna was 95% of the time badly written for, Dona and Barthello were weird, Brother was utterly destroyed as a character and turned into a metrosexual clown who openly fancies his cousin, as in, he openly thinks Yuna is sexy, definitely, and since when did he get so bad at blitz ball!!?

Nooj and Paine could've been great, but Paine sufferes from "we NEED for her to say something in this costume/in this circumstance" even though her character had lots of clangers which would have been better not said

as far as the battle system goes, It's kinda sad that certain dress spheres became useless. Why couldn't you learn all the black magic and white magic in the spheres? instead of needing grids, the grids were needed for other bonuses, you had to seriously nerf yourself if you ever wanted to see Flair or Ultima.

and the cat bell trick with the gunner was ****!!! plain ass boring dungeons. the dungeons from FFX looked better. Blitzball (and brother) was ruined too.

I've been toying with picking up Vagrant Story on the PSN as it happens.

I have it, I can't play it. I'm too **** at it.

Vagrant Stories battle system is very hard to wrapyour head around.

• Advertisement

it's one of those ones where I'm clearly missing something becasue I keep winding up being too weak to function despite as I see it, doing what the game says I should do.
    The only other game I've experienced this on was Unlimited Saga. But I have seen it occur with other people, with other games.
    (once or twice with a final fantasy!, how can you playyourtself into a dead end with a FF?!)
    I'm sure it's something I'm missing like, OH! I should've sharpening my sword all this time, or OH! I should've been selling my loot and not using it as a tampon for Penelo etc.

I always promise I'llsit down and dig in, (as I do with Unlimited Saga) but something new and shiney and less miserable usually comes along.

If you aren't forging really good weapons with different elemental affinities in VS then you're ****ed. Also avoid doing massive combos otherwise your riskgoes through the roof.

that got me alright.

it just looked for the life of me as if the forging was such a side game, they don't really say 'this is a forge, SPEND TIME LEARNING HOW TO DO THIS OR ELSE YOU'LL BE ****ED'

on my first play through I though, 'meh, I'm sure I'll pick up sufficient weapons as I bop along'

meet a boss

etc.

I finished the game without spending much time in the forge. It was a stupid idea but doable if you have good timing. I could get combos as high as 40+ so even though my risk was through the roof and I was only doing 1 HP damage each successful attack was +1 damage so was doing decent damage in the end. I really wouldn't recommend this way, it's a pain in the ass. I'd love to go back and play it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I finished the game without spending much time in the forge. It was a stupid idea but doable if you have good timing. I could get combos as high as 40+ so even though my risk was through the roof and I was only doing 1 HP damage each successful attack was +1 damage so was doing decent damage in the end. I really wouldn't recommend this way, it's a pain in the ass. I'd love to go back and play it properly.

I played in the exact same way! Not that i didnt want to use the forge, just that i didnt have a clue how to. Was a wee lad at the time. I picked it up on PSN back when it was released and only now do i fully understand how it all works. I abandoned playing it though. Dont think ill ever get back into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I tried to use the forge properly throughout the game, it didn't work out too bad but the battle system is so in depth that you're bound to end up against a battle which ends up being "1, 2, 1, 2.." However return damage worked wonders a lot of the time, except when you don't realise how low your health is and use it instead of reduce damage:o.

Vagrant Story was such a good game, definitely has the best writing and dialogue of any jrpg I've played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Matsuno really knows how to do a political plot line, pity he never got to finish FFXII. Vagrant Story has one of the best plots of any game and Tactics Ogre is a medieval version of the Balkan war during the 1990's.
    thanks for the reminder retro!!:D

go amazon.co.uk
    clicked buy now orge tactic!!!

i have so much love for FFT and i hope orge tactic is at least as good as FFT! for this christmas i will have Xenoblade to play too :D

and damn how i wish the last story can come for this christmas :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

So there was finally some new details released this week. It'll be released sometime in 2013.

Some comparisons with old and new:

001_tidus_face_800x450_before.jpg

001_tidus_face_800x450_after.jpg

i6ugfOBVJ1Kp1.gif

It'll also come with FF X-2 HD.

I think as well that its the international versions so should have dark aeons.

I kind of hope it doesn't have the dark aeons or at least makes them more optional, they completely ruined the end game for me.

I kind of hope it doesn't have the dark aeons or at least makes them more optional, they completely ruined the end game for me.

I have never heard you say that before.

Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Wonder if they'll fix the lip-syncing for the English language version. That was the only problem I ever had with FFX. Otherwise, tis looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

Did Wakka lose an inch of jaw width there? Gorgeous pics by the way.

I wonder how well FFX will live up. I really enjoyed it at the time but it is pretty much as linear as FFXIII and the encounter rate is through the roof in many places. I was getting pretty tired of it during encounter areas after extended periods just like with 13. Would be interesting if it does live up well to see what makes it better than FFXIII.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Xevkin wrote: »
    Did Wakka lose an inch of jaw width there? Gorgeous pics by the way.

pretty sure LuLu went down 2 cup sizes too.
    I wonder how well FFX will live up. I really enjoyed it at the time but it is pretty much as linear as FFXIII and the encounter rate is through the roof in many places. I was getting pretty tired of it during encounter areas after extended periods just like with 13. Would be interesting if it does live up well to see what makes it better than FFXIII.

Blitzball alone will make it worth while :D

I just hope i can still enjoy it as much after watching spoonys review. It was funny as hell...but man he points out alot of plot breaking moments i was willing to accept before.
    RedXIV wrote: »
    Blitzball alone will make it worth while :D

What was so great about Blitzball?

What was so great about Blitzball?

It was a fun distraction from the main story without any gigantic flaws (I'm looking at you, triple triad).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What was wrong with them?

Couldn't you just avoid them?

I remember Valefor being quite easy.

Ifrit wasn't too bad either.

The rest bate me up and down the gaf.

If you wanted Anima and missed any of the destruction sphere treasures in Besaid or Macalania then you had to deal with Dark Valefor or Dark Shiva. It didn't take much in the way of grinding to beat either of those but you'd make the end of the game far too easy. They'd have been better off being semi-hidden like the weapons in FFVII and FFVIII.
    Dark Aeons and Penance just felt like a lazy way to drag out the game to me. No strategy, just grinding needed to beat them. And the aeons themselves just have some modified code and some palette swapping. No dialogue or lore at all. In fairness you could use Zanmato for the lot which I did for Dark Valefor to get the Besaid treasure but it's still a massive pain in my opinion.

If you wanted Anima and missed any of the destruction sphere treasures in Besaid or Macalania then you had to deal with Dark Valefor or Dark Shiva. It didn't take much in the way of grinding to beat either of those but you'd make the end of the game far too easy. They'd have been better off being semi-hidden like the weapons in FFVII and FFVIII.
    Dark Aeons and Penance just felt like a lazy way to drag out the game to me. No strategy, just grinding needed to beat them. And the aeons themselves just have some modified code and some palette swapping. No dialogue or lore at all. In fairness you could use Zanmato for the lot which I did for Dark Valefor to get the Besaid treasure but it's still a massive pain in my opinion.

I could seldom survive long enough to get any attacks off with Shiva or the electric Unicorn who's name escapes me.

I could never get Zanmato to work at all. I never used Yojimbo.

They were a bit lazy but after your first playthrough (which was usually a mess and I hadn't figured out most things about the game at that stage anyway so needed another "proper" playthrough) you learned not to miss any destruction spheres and the slobbery Overdrive from Besaid.

• Advertisement

I was lucky enough to have a weapon for Kimahri which had first strike so I could swap him for Yuna and hope Yojimbo would use zanmato. The extra aeons were great sidequests IMO, especially compared to the likes of Mass Effect and Oblivion.

I was lucky enough to have a weapon for Kimahri which had first strike so I could swap him for Yuna and hope Yojimbo would use zanmato. The extra aeons were great sidequests IMO, especially compared to the likes of Mass Effect and Oblivion.

I enjoyed the quests to get them but I only ever used Anima all that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Has there been any word on a release date for the game? Or an estimate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'd be expecting a release date of November/December.

If not that, then February 2014.

I'd seriously love a PC port of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zno3

Gbear wrote: »
    I'd seriously love a PC port of this.
    Agree :D

anyway, good story, a bit sad ending tho :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

They've made Tidus' face really weird and fat looking in this. Everything else looks good but his face looks like a chubby 12 year old's.

Looking at it some more it just seems like they tried to Gacktify him

snausages wrote: »
    They've made Tidus' face really weird and fat looking in this. Everything else looks good but his face looks like a chubby 12 year old's.

Looking at it some more it just seems like they tried to Gacktify him

He looks weird because he was designed with a particular polycount. They just divided the polygons making his face smoother. That was not the intention of the person that modelled the character in the first place.

Really dont see the point in these HD remakes...id just play FFX on my PS2. Guess maybe not everyone has or kept their PS2 >_>

Really dont see the point in these HD remakes...id just play FFX on my PS2. Guess maybe not everyone has or kept their PS2 >_>

Considering how much of a botch job the PAL version of FFX was I'll be looking forward to this release. I'm not even talking about the Dark Aeons but the slow down and border issues. Poor yuna looks like a chubber in the european version.

I wonder how well this game will live up. It kind of has that linear dungeon annoyance of FFXIII and I remember the battle system becoming tiring during random encounters. Also spoony's review pointed out a lot of issues although I did think he was way too harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

He looks weird because he was designed with a particular polycount. They just divided the polygons making his face smoother. That was not the intention of the person that modelled the character in the first place.

In the SD version he has an angular face like a teenager but the HD version looks so weird as to make me not want to play it. Which is a shame for all the reasons Retro mentioned although I'm sure the Dark Aeons will be in this version also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement