Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

Changes have already happened/happening from Mt L. A retune shows RTE one and RTEjr/one+1 is in the second multiplex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Saorview Multiplexes this morning

Multiplex 1
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    |
    11|no channel name (RTÉ 1 simulcast)|SD
    02|RTÉ Two|HD
    03|TV3|SD
    04|TG4|SD
    05|3e|SD
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD
    17|no channel name (RTÉjr simulcast)|SD
    18|no channel name (RTÉ1 +1 simulcast)|SD
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|
    207|(not used**)|
    208|RTÉ Gold|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|
    ** previously RTÉ Choice

Multiplex 2
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    |
    01|RTÉ One|HD
    12|(no channel name***)|HD
    13|(no channel name/testcard)|SD - RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14|(no channel name***)|HD
    15|(no channel name/testcard)|SD - RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    16|(not used)|
    07|RTÉjr*|SD
    08|RTÉ One +1*|SD
    211-212|(no radio channel names)|no audio
    213|(no radio channel name)|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    214|(no radio channel name)|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    215-217|(no radio channel names)|no audio
    218-219|(no radio channel name)|RTÉ Gold audio
    220|(no radio channel name)|no audio

***No HD testcards on LCNs 12 and 14 this morning
    * RTÉjr 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx. Not timesharing on Mux2, static on-air caption on RTÉ1 +1 "This channel is currently off air"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

The Cush wrote: »

Multiplex 1

LCN
    |
    Channel
    |
    02|RTÉ Two|HD
    03|TV3|SD
    04|TG4|SD
    05|3e|SD
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|
    207|(not used**)|
    208|RTÉ Gold|
    ** previously RTÉ Choice

Multiplex 2

LCN
    |
    Channel
    |
    01|RTÉ One|HD
    16|(not used)|
    07|RTÉjr*|SD
    08|RTÉ One +1*|SD
    * RTÉjr 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx

is it actually broadcasting in HD rteone? or is the signal just saying HD?

Its either upscaled or HD, vast improvement on the SD channel which is still broadcasting.

Upscaled HD 1440x1080i, same as RTÉ2.

• Advertisement

and more importantly is the DOG back? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

vast improvement on the SD channel which is still broadcasting.
    Yes indeed!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Where are we living? On the day of the re-tune they announce the re-tune?

In relation to the few channels available there are a number of Irish services that could have launched on Soarview had they been given some support and appeared on other platforms. IMO at least 15 new services. Even for a small country Soarview is bad IMO.

In relation to my figures I quickly said to myself that RTÉ TV had 6 out 9 SD spaces, TV3 had 2 and TG4 had 1 and I divided by 9 to give me the figures I got for the example. Either way any spare capacity is paid for by the broadcasters and 2RN are paid in full for Mux 1 and 2, which was the real point.

and more importantly is the DOG back?

No DOG on display on Morning Edition.

No DOG on display on Morning Edition.

News programming never has a DOG/BUG on RTÉ, except Prime Time but I think that is because its Current Affairs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

Don't see the point. One in HD. I New there wundt be much on offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Notice the New RTE1+1 is now actually broadcasting the "This channel is currently off air" caption as opposed to the MHEG5 message, presumably because of the additional spectrum available?

Don't see the point. One in HD. I New there wundt be much on offer

Ah now that's not quite fair we got a.....
    .... New RTE1+1 is now actually broadcasting the "This channel is currently off air" caption as opposed to the MHEG5 message, presumably because of the additional spectrum available?

Notice the New RTE1+1 is now actually broadcasting the "This channel is currently off air" caption as opposed to the MHEG5 message, presumably because of the additional spectrum available?

I wonder why they cant actually broadcast RTE+1 24 hours now that they have the space? :rolleyes:

I wonder why they cant actually broadcast RTE+1 24 hours now that they have the space?

Dept of Communications approval required, the extra RTÉ channels are up for review by mid 2014.

Dept of Communications approval required, the extra RTÉ channels are up for review by mid 2014.

I would say it will be down to rights issues more than dcenr's review or approval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

So, has RTÉ ONE HD actually launched then, or is it still a test that could be pulled at any time. Don't wanna go changing channels around in my custom EPG if it's gonna be changed!

Paddy C wrote: »
    So, has RTÉ ONE HD actually launched then, or is it still a test that could be pulled at any time. Don't wanna go changing channels around in my custom EPG if it's gonna be changed!

Softest of launches get ready for another 2 re-tunes for TV3 and TG4

That I can live with, but if I can have proper access to RTÉ ONE content now in HD when available, that'll do me for now!

So, has RTÉ ONE HD actually launched then, or is it still a test that could be pulled at any time.

RTÉ 1 HD has been moved to LCN 1 so no further retunes for that, Peter Geraghty did mention something about it coming in the new year this morning, official launch with actual HD content I'd guess.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    I would say it will be down to rights issues more than dcenr's review or approval.
    Maybe but any changes will have to get approval as per the Broadcasting Act.

Does seem a bit of a mess though! The pic quality was much better on RTE1 this morning. Surprised TG4 hasn't made the switch as they are already distributing a HD feed.

so RTEONE HD is all that is really changed. and given that another 5million has been removed from rte next year not much hope of anything else new.

Even if nothing is in HD yet, the improved resolution and bit rate means a better viewing experience over the SD channel so I can take that for now. Maybe RTÉ ONE HD and TG 4 HD are launching at the same time in January? I don't think we're gonna see TV 3 HD for quite some time...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

Yes at least we got something. Although we will need to retune later today as we now have 3 channels saying rescan required. The plus one channel has is saying the same as the old one did

Even if nothing is in HD yet, the improved resolution and bit rate means a better viewing experience over the SD channel so I can take that for now. Maybe RTÉ ONE HD and TG 4 HD are launching at the same time in January? I don't think we're gonna see TV 3 HD for quite some time...

Saorview's Brian Geraghty said on Morning Ireland that RTÉ 1 HD will be coming in the new year, actual HD content I'd guess.

It took RTÉ2 almost 6 months to broadcast true HD content from the time it launched.

Although we will need to retune later today as we now have 3 channels saying rescan required. The plus one channel has is saying the same as the old one did

Rescan now, the channels are now on Mux2.

Multiplex 1
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    |
    02|RTÉ Two|HD
    03|TV3|SD
    04|TG4|SD
    05|3e|SD
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|
    207|(not used**)|
    208|RTÉ Gold|
    ** previously RTÉ Choice

Multiplex 2
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    |
    01|RTÉ One|HD
    16|(not used)|
    07|RTÉjr*|SD
    08|RTÉ One +1*|SD

* RTÉjr 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx. Not timesharing on Mux2, static on-air caption on RTÉ1 +1 "This channel is currently off air"

On the test cards with radio sound, if you select the narrative audio, you get test-tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Using an amiko alien 2, went and re scanned but as far as I can see nothings changed, rte1 is still saying rescan required as is rte1+1. Still broadcasting in 544x576 also. Am I missing something really obvious here?

• Advertisement

Saorview's Brian Geraghty said on Morning Ireland that RTÉ 1 HD will be coming in the new year, actual HD content I'd guess.

It took RTÉ2 almost 6 months to broadcast true HD content from the time it launched.

So why not upscale TG4 and TV3 to avoid another rescan down the road?

Notice how they didn't move TG4, TV3 and 3e to mux 2 but Digital Aertel is on both muxes.

Is Aertel showing its logo for other people?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

In relation to the few channels available there are a number of Irish services that could have launched on Soarview had they been given some support and appeared on other platforms. IMO at least 15 new services. Even for a small country Soarview is bad IMO.

15 new services?!

Are people like myself, who see 'Saorview' on receiving equipment simply as a mark of compliance with the broadcast standard, rather than as a promise of exciting new free entertainment, are we in a minority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dr Phil upscaled w00t! :pac:

My telly has updated albeit the order is all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Using an amiko alien 2, went and re scanned but as far as I can see nothings changed, rte1 is still saying rescan required as is rte1+1. Still broadcasting in 544x576 also. Am I missing something really obvious here?

The amiko won't update in the same way as a Saorview box. The new channels will have been scanned into the Terrestrial folder (Up -> Satellites -> Terrestrial etc). From there, you can add them to your current bouquet (assuming you use a bouquet to mix terrestrial and sat channels).

If the new channels don't appear in the terrestrial folder, then you'll have to do a manual tuner scan for the Mux 2 freq for your local transmitter.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    15 new services?!

Are people like myself, who see 'Saorview' on receiving equipment simply as a mark of compliance with the broadcast standard, rather than as a promise of exciting new free entertainment, are we in a minority?

I think the mark of compliance is just part of DTT. One of the digital dividend which was talked about was the addition of more TV services and HD services. Okay we have HD services and a better picture but no real additional TV services.

Since DSO/ASO both Sky and UPC have seen increases in numbers taking up their pay digital service (we are in a minority who know you can get FTA sat channels including BBC, ITV, C4 etc, many consider that to be legal and refer to it as Dodgyboxes!?!). And an increase in advertising revenue going to more opt-out services.

We have a duopoly in PayTV broadcasting (UPC and Sky) and a duopoly in FreeTV (RTÉ and TV3) I don't think that is good.

At least 15 free services even if some at this stage failed, I am not expecting hours of amazing programming (I don't see that on 5USA OR 5* or many of the FTA repeat channels available). For a small country we did not develop digital TV at all there is no reason not to have another broadcaster or that TG4 would have other TV services. RTÉ plan in there 5 year plan to launch several genre specific channels over IP along with Soarview Anytime. Why not launch them on all digital platforms, because the are constrained by the Broadcasting Act 2009 (note how RTÉ Plus didn't get off the air, how they need ministerial permission to move RTÉjr off RTÉ TWO and as The Cush point out how they need ministerial permission to have RTÉ 1+1 go out for 24 hours).

From the beginning Soarview should have launched with two Muxes so that all channels could be received in the highest quality picture available but also to introduce new services not just the same old same old. I'd even suggest that Mux 3 should already be available with new services.

What happened the Irish Film Board Channel, Oireachtas TV and Community TV on Soarview? Even if it was just +1 as suggested by TV3 and TG4 and later on the suggestions of Cula4, 3Classics and other services from those broadcasters. Why not launch an Irish Music channel? These are not hugely expensive channels to launch, and your right they probably would not be much use. But they'd be allot better than wasted spectrum on Mux 1 and 2.

1. RTÉ ONE HD - Mux 1
    2. RTÉ TWO HD - Mux 1
    3. TG4 HD - Mux 2
    4. TV3 HD - Mux 3
    5. 3E - Mux 3
    6. RTÉ PLUS - Mux 1
    7. RTÉ ONE +1 - Mux 1
    8. TV3 +1 - Mux 3
    9. TG4 +1 - Mux 2
    10. RTÉ NEWS NOW (PROPER) - Mux 1
    11. Oireachtas TV - Mux 2
    12. Irish Film Board Channel - Mux 2
    13. 3classics -Mux 3
    14. Cula 4 - Mux 2
    15. RTÉjr - Mux 1
    16. 3Kids - Mux 3
    17. Community TV - Mux 2

MUX 1 - 2 HD, 3 SD
    MUX 2 - 1 HD, 6 SD
    MUX 3 - 1 HD, 4 SD

And sure how about some shopping channels and indo radio stations to pay for that extra space.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You don't even have to go that far.

RTE currently have enough room on Mux1 for their current output.

RTE 1HD; RTE 2HD; RTE NN; RTE jr; RTE +1. I make that equal to equivalent to 9 SD channels. [8 if RTE +1 and RTE jr share the channel].

MUX 2 would then have TV3 HD; 3E; TG4 HD; OTV. That would be equivalent to 8 SD channels - 9 if OTV goes HD, but I do not think the voters would like to see their politicos in unforgiving HD:D.

Mux 3 then becomes available for new entrants - if and when.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Apogee wrote: »
    The amiko won't update in the same way as a Saorview box. The new channels will have been scanned into the Terrestrial folder (Up -> Satellites -> Terrestrial etc). From there, you can add them to your current bouquet (assuming you use a bouquet to mix terrestrial and sat channels).

If the new channels don't appear in the terrestrial folder, then you'll have to do a manual tuner scan for the Mux 2 freq for your local transmitter.
    Figured it out, didn't realise mux2 was on a separate frequency. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Seems strange to have RTE 1 HD on a separate MUX to RTE 2 HD as this will limit the ability to record one channel while watching another for the majority of boxes that have just one terrestrial tuner.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Up until now I've been receiving saorview from kippure by scanning on 738mhz, do you mean there is a separate frequency for mux2? If so you don't know where I'd find it do you?

UHF Channel 58 (770 MHz) - http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Oct-2013.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Still no mux2 (CH25) from Castlebar transmitter. Bit of a disaster considering all the adverts telling people to preform a rescan.

mike65 wrote: »
    My telly has updated albeit the order is all over the place.

What TV is it?
    Is it installed with Ireland as the country/region?
    Maybe do a factory reset.

• Advertisement

12 element wrote: »
    Bit of a disaster considering all the adverts telling people to preform a rescan.

After 3pm
    Saorview viewers in certain areas will need to rescan their TVs or Set-Top-Boxes on Monday, October 21st to avoid losing service.

If you receive Saorview from one of the following local transmitters you must carry out this rescan of your equipment on Monday, October 21st after 3pm to continue to view SAORVIEW in these areas.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/169-2.html

So why not upscale TG4 and TV3 to avoid another rescan down the road?

A question best answered by TV3 and TG4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Will the simulcasted RTE1 SD currently remain at position 1 on your TV/STB on Mux 1 until you do a retune, before they take it off altogether?

Will the simulcasted RTE1 SD currently remain at position 1 on your TV/STB on Mux 1 until you do a retune, before they take it off altogether?

For most receivers it probably will.

I think the HD version goes into position 1 and SD moves to position 11 after rescan.

RTE ONE SD will then stop airing after 3? If you don't retune RTÉ ONE and +1/Jr are gone.

RTE ONE SD will then stop airing after 3? If you don't retune RTÉ ONE and +1/Jr are gone.

The simulcast channels on Mux1 will continue for 2 weeks or up to 3 weeks according to Brian Geraghty on Morning Ireland this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Thanks guys. Reason I ask is that there is a Sony W4000 in the parents house. I think I have the auto update feature in the Digital tuning section currently switched off on it. I'll be there next weekend so I can do a retune then.

RTÉ1 +1 has now gone to an MHEG-5 off-air caption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I carried out the rescan at 8:30 am this morning. I got the mux2 channels on the Triax TSC 114 box.

But I only got four TV channels with none from the radio on the Laurus LR-785XB Box from Tesco (I haven't a clue what to do with that one because this receiver I have at home might be faulty).

This is the one I'm talking about here:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/3195/168895.jpg

I was unlucky in looking up the Laurus website for attempting to find a firmware download as I might have to email someone to get the updates which is a stupid decision really.

http://www.laurusdigital.ie/

info@laurusdigital.ie

Do I need to another rescan of Mux2 on the two boxes or is that all that is required for the moment. My nearest transmitter is Three Rock. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

It's strange to see RTEjr is using more bandwidth than RTE1 HD on Mux 2
    RTEjr using 21% of Mux capaticy, RTE1HD using 17%

EIT info now for RTE1, RTEjr and RTE1+1 on Mux 2

No EIT for RTE1, RTEjr and RTE1+1 on Mux 1, so I guess these channels are hidden on Saorview approved certified and Ireland setting TV and STB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement