Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

289_Recm2401.gif

ECM has an insane low at +240hrs, this would deposit Ireland somewhere in Russia! :D

930MB!!?

Dan :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

10c out with realfeel 0c.... wonderful morning out here on Northside of Dublin. Chilly and wet...just how I like it...although I would prefer snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

No snow really for Ireland for the next few weeks, looking very much like the AO wont be dropping anytime soon of course the AO is not the only driver to cold weather but its a huge part, also the NAO wont be dipping anytime soon.
    If i was V ogan id be thinking my forecast of a big freeze after x mas day will be a no show ,ah well there is always winter 2012-13 or maybe 2014-15 to have another big freeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

mcriot29 wrote: »
    No snow really for Ireland for the next few weeks, looking very much like the AO wont be dropping anytime soon of course the AO is not the only driver to cold weather but its a huge part, also the NAO wont be dipping anytime soon.
    If i was V ogan id be thinking my forecast of a big freeze after x mas day will be a no show ,ah well there is always winter 2012-13 or maybe 2014-15 to have another big freeze.

Why have you written off winter of 2013/14 :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

It's said to cause a reaction, Jerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

When he got up and looked out his window there was a dandelion with a partial tear facing the setting sun at 8.15 on the morning of the last full moon and a caterpillar crawling directly away from the sun.

Tsch!!!!!.....Obviously :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    It's said to cause a reaction, Jerry.

We are not even threw this winter yet:rolleyes: My bet is Febuary;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Here is a google translate of the meteo france outlook posted december third.
    If we are to get an easterly here,it would be better in january it seems as that polar vortex is showing no signs of stopping this side of Xmas.

Holly is full of berries but I wouldn't pay heed to that as it's a bumper harvest only because they were stripped bare last year.

Forecast updated December 3, 2011 for France:

Global context: Nina continued until the spring

As expected for several months, the phenomenon La Nina ocean continues at least until spring 2012 in the Pacific Ocean. This Nina looks weaker than last year, but most of the weather models still considering another winter cold enough in the northern hemisphere. Severe weather conditions could even prevail over North America and parts of Europe, a recent study of climate scientists from NOAA (American Meteorological Administration) and the British MetOffice.

Despite these factors, the fall is historically low in France (which was not foreseen by the seasonal patterns), our services are now considering a winter "normal" occasionally quite cold in late December and January.

One point to watch for more substantial rainfall are now expected over the northern half of France, but in the prospect of a new dry spring, the rains will not allow groundwater to recover after an exceptionally dry year 2011.

December: progressively colder in second half

Times more agitated with the return of ocean disturbances. Then the second half looks more winter with a period considered cold enough for Christmas. It could be a dry cold and foggy. Snow should be at the rendezvous at the stations for the winter holidays of Christmas, but the amount moédérée compared to previous years.

January 2012: Temperatures below normal

After the sudden arrival of cold temperatures in late December did not recover in January to be within the normal with a cold as possible in the first decade in the winter of 2009 so it will be one month winter with very cold days. Disturbances should bring the average rainfall in the northern half, with probably a few episodes in the snowy plain.

February: softer

The winter is expected to end quickly, not excluding some cold periods in the first half, but then, temperatures should return to the above average rainfall with a loss, especially in the southern half. March: dry and sweet (poor reliability in the spring, which may be colder than expected by the models studied).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Tis like trying to climb mount everest.Really needs to continue with no major set backs to soften up that Polar Vortex.Perfect timing if it does indeed continue warming.
    pole30_nh.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

blackius wrote: »
    Here is a google translate of the meteo france outlook posted december third.

Times more agitated with the return of ocean disturbances.

You gotta love Google Translate, everything sounds like Yoda :D

• Advertisement

Morning Ireland: Holly flourishing in mild winter: Holly grower Joe Barry

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/1209/media-3136291.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

And now for that madden guy again .........“Snow will continue to affect Scotland and become more widespread within this region as we head into next week, with an increasing possibility of snow to lower parts of the UK and Ireland, as we head into the final few days of November and the first third of December. The remainder of December as a whole is likely to feature largely below-average temperatures, with some deep and widespread snow accumulations across many parts of the UK and Ireland, that will continue into January and February. Any required updates will be posted accordingly”
    I have stated since very early this year, that I expect December to feature below-average temperatures with widespread heavy snowfall across many parts of the UK. I have also stated “across many parts of the UK” for a good reason, as I will explain.
    Weather Warning – Widespread snowfall and much colder temperatures
    Now although there is going to be some notable snow about in the early part of next week, as forecast on Exacta Weather on the 8th November 2011. I am expecting things to significantly change to a more prolonged period of much colder weather with widespread snowfall across many parts of the UK and Ireland, as we head into the latter part of next week and in the run up to and during the festive period. The temperatures in Scotland and many Northern regions are likely to dip below negative double figures, at times within this period in the evenings. A white Christmas is also looking increasingly possible across many parts of the UK, especially more so in the regions of Scotland and Northern England in terms of any possible accumulations on the actual day.
    Definition of a white Christmas “across many parts of the UK”
    A single snowflake must fall at any time during the twenty four hour period of Christmas day at a specified location. Snow already lying on the ground does not count as a white Christmas officially, and I say this as snow is likely to be lying on the ground in many locations on or around this period, if things develop as I expect them to over the coming weeks.
    December widespread snowfall “across many parts of the UK”
    I am not expecting December to be the most severe month of this meteorological winter, as I expect these conditions to prevail as we head into January and February, and I have also never stated otherwise. I have also stated that there will be some periods of moderation at times and any areas further south are likely to see the best of these conditions.
    I am however expecting widespread and heavy snow across many parts of the UK in December, and although the regions I expect to be affected by the most frequent and widespread heavy snowfalls are Scotland, Northern Ireland, North West, North East, and Yorkshire. I am also expecting parts of the West and East Midlands, Wales, and the East to experience some notable and frequent heavy snowfalls in December too. Some moderate to heavy falls of snow are even likely at times across parts of London, South East, and the South West. This is why I have stated since earlier this year “across many parts of the
    UK in December”.

AO dropping again
    184477.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Wait... so up means good ??? :confused:

Good if you like milder weather.

A lower AO index allows for a weaker polar vortex and more chance of blocking

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Wait... so up means good ??? :confused:

Higher index is bad , lower index is better , Negative index is best

This is from a cold lovers perspective !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Now on the bad news front 14 day forecast is showing a dip and then a proper jump back up again , this does not please me :(

Unless the 14 day forecast can held in the same distain as a normal GFS FI chart .

184479.png

184478.png

NAO paints a slightly better picture ,

184481.png

Snow cover in southern and western US.
    184486.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Snow cover in southern and western US.....

Soooo jealous!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Higher index is bad , lower index is better , Negative index is best

This is from a cold lovers perspective !

Yeah but all charts you post seem to be positive, Im just not getting it :(

The one I posted i starting to trend lower which is a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

That's a pretty sharp AO drop. How low was the AO during last year's cold snap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

matthew8 wrote: »
    That's a pretty sharp AO drop. How low was the AO during last year's cold snap?

AO from last 60 years

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mrweatherman

i just cant see ireland getting a good widespread snow coverage this side of christmas, i say we might get just a dusting after christmas and long cold spell eg frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Looking like rain and more rain from sunday onwards and into the next few weeks more rain.Looks like marks prediction is going to fail.
    The AO staying very high right up past xmas day ,looks like no cold spell at start of jan 2012 either.

guess i could be wrong according to accuweather a huge storm is to hit ireland on tuesday which is to pull in cold air to the north with snow and rain for the southern half might be repeat of "the night of the big wind" which brought heavy snow soon after =)

Positive is bad , Negative is good ,

The charts have been in a very positive territory for the last while so any thing that see's them moving away from that type of setup is a good sign,

We want them to go negative .

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

guess i could be wrong according to accuweather a huge storm is to hit ireland on tuesday which is to pull in cold air to the north with snow and rain for the southern half might be repeat of "the night of the big wind" which brought heavy snow soon after =)
    Snow in the south? I forgot what it even looks at this stage

yeah its long time since the south saw any real snow, well its according to accuweather on their news part showing a map of ireland with snow in the north and rain as norm in south

• Advertisement

Simon Keeling ...weather.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Fascinating what could happen if the 2nd scenario around the 19th onwards he paints actually happens......SNOWMAGGEDON :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tzfrantic

omg another cold snap could happen i am so happy i love you wolfeIRE for this information

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

mcriot29 wrote: »
    Looking like rain and more rain from sunday onwards and into the next few weeks more rain.Looks like marks prediction is going to fail.
    The AO staying very high right up past xmas day ,looks like no cold spell at start of jan 2012 either.

another word for word recomment from doylem on the daily mail...cant believe your doylem. wont ever be able to look at you the same way again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

bb1234567 wrote: »
    another word for word recomment from doylem on the daily mail...cant believe your doylem. wont ever be able to look at you the same way again...

Ha ha dont loose sleep over it:)

cant see anything come from it as its still far off, BUT next week will tell all as anything beyond 7days is hard to work out correctly

Really well broken down look at the charts there , showing some potential too , I really like when people go into detail on where they are getting there idea's from

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

If that block does manage to form in the West Keeling and the ECMWF could become very popular around here :D

well infairness it does look very promising and well put together but theres still the real high risk it wont happen and just end up with a real cr*py storm on christmas as we had a vfew years back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 James madden100

Snow is likley in many parts of the UK and Ireland in December January and Feburary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Snow is likley in many parts of the UK and Ireland in December January and Feburary.

a good optimistic first post without any scientific basis!

you will go a long way on this site!

but ANY one can say snow dec,jan and feb its down to how much where, when and how long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looking at the F1 charts Christmas will be marked with double figures.

likley.........Feburary.

James may have got his forecast wrong for the start of winter, but his spelling is pretty much spot on.

Please don't troll here whoever you may be.

hahaha any one can say it will snow in the main winter months of december, jan and feb

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tzfrantic

well infairness it does look very promising and well put together but theres still the real high risk it wont happen and just end up with a real cr*py storm on christmas as we had a vfew years back
    no scienfic proof on that still i 50 percent chance it could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

I think Mike65 is the biggest troll on here.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Really well broken down look at the charts there , showing some potential too , I really like when people go into detail on where they are getting there idea's from

Yeah I agree with that. Unlike others who just say there will be heavy snowfalls for most of the UK in December.
    However, it's unlikely his idea about a Greenland high linking with a scandi high will come to fruition though. With a strong vortex any high that builds up north will surely only be fleeting. In the current setup the only door to prolonged cold is through Scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

bb1234567 wrote: »

This relationship is OVER!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

:D:Dao.obs.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement