Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

hi malene,

when you contacted Bus Éireann, was it clarified in its reply to you, whether or not that the slip road stop is an official pick up point on the 109N?

What response did you get to the issue of some drivers stopping there and some not?

The National Transport Authority operates in conjunction with Bus Éireann on changes to routes and the adding or taking away of stops on routes.

The NTA didn't reply and they haven't replied to any emails I sent. Bus Eireann issued a complimentary ticket one or twice because it has happened a few times now. The customer relations women said on this occasion , even though he did NOT stop at the location, she was NOT going to entertain giving me a return ticket this time. So they accepted iability but no compensation.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

malene wrote: »
    The NTA didn't reply and they haven't replied to any emails I sent. Bus Eireann issued a complimentary ticket one or twice because it has happened a few times now. The customer relations women said on this occasion , even though he did NOT stop at the location, she was NOT going to entertain giving me a return ticket this time. So they accepted iability but no compensation.

:(

Did the customer relations woman confirm whether or not the stop at Blanchardstown slip road, is a pick up stop on the 109N.

The fact that Bus Éireann gave you a complimentary ticket as a result of the previous occasion that the bus didn't stop there, suggests that they acknowledge that the bus should have picked up at the slip road that time.

I'm just curious as to why they wouldn't issue you a complimentary ticket in response to this most recent occasion of the bus not stopping, when they have done so before.

Is it because it doesn't mention on the 109N pdf timetable that the slip road is definitely a pick up stop? (It just says Blanchardstown Roundabout).

On the journey planner on buseireann.ie, there is much greater detail on the intermediate stops for the 109 - including the various stops at the Mater, Phibsboro and Blanchardstown - than there is on the 109N.

For example, the 109N stops to pick up at Phibsboro Church, but on the journey planner, it neglects to mention Phibsboro Church as an intermediate stop, although on the 109N pdf timetable, it does mention it, as one of the stops, along with the stop at Penny's on O'Connell Street etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

Used my new leap card for the first timetoday on a 109, worked no problem which was good to see. While slower than the traditional flashing the annual pass to the driver method, its certainly a hell of quicker than the cash/ internet ticket method.

So hopefully, it leap can gain traction, prime time buses can depart as per the scheduled timetable.

The point still stands though that I have taken 15 journies on BE since 1st October, and mainly due to using to non BE clapped out expresses, its the first time I've had to validate the ticket. While I appreciate that thats BE'S problem, as I stated before I find it extraordinary that I could have produced my normal non pictured leap card which I use for DB, and BE would be pretty much powerless to stop me boarding depite the fact the appropriate fare would not have been on it.

That said I believe the 6.30 express to Navan yesterday was a nice BE double decker which was leap enabled etc.. , dont know if that was a one off , or if the penny has dropped with BE that on certain routes where private/ non leap enabled buses are in opeation , people have been reportedly travelling free for months, which is some state of affairs in a company that has lost , what, circa €25million? in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

The point still stands though that I have taken 15 journies on BE since 1st October, and mainly due to using to non BE clapped out expresses, its the first time I've had to validate the ticket. While I appreciate that thats BE'S problem, as I stated before I find it extraordinary that I could have produced my normal non pictured leap card which I use for DB, and BE would be pretty much powerless to stop me boarding depite the fact the appropriate fare would not have been on it.

It's not just the non-BE buses that don't have leap enabled machines. There are still some BE buses which don't have them, which causes a lot of hassle when the driver doesn't know what the procedure is in that situation.
    people have been reportedly travelling free for months, which is some state of affairs in a company that has lost , what, circa €25million? in the last 5 years.

It's been a year, it went live for the greater Dublin area on 03/10/13.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭tom23

Does anyone know if there is plans to do something with bus Aras? It really is not suited to the volume of departures. Spent 5 minutes sitting to depart because a bus had stopped and blocked the gate. It's bad enough battling traffic on the cabra road but been delayed in bus Aras is incredibly frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

tom23 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is plans to do something with bus Aras? It really is not suited to the volume of departures. Spent 5 minutes sitting to depart because a bus had stopped and blocked the gate. It's bad enough battling traffic on the cabra road but been delayed in bus Aras is incredibly frustrating.

There are signs up in busarse apologising for certain facilities and state that "we are delighted to confirm that upgrade works to the customers facilities will commence shortly"

What changes would you suggest?

What changes would you suggest?

Tell ya what, since your good at sitting on the fence why don't you make a couple of suggestions? I wait with trepidation. But just in case in there's no appetite... Why not have the 109 depart from somewhere except bus Aras, particularly the express. Then we won't have to waste 5 minutes of sitting around...

foggy_lad wrote: »
    There are signs up in busarse apologising for certain facilities and state that "we are delighted to confirm that upgrade works to the customers facilities will commence shortly"

That's toilets etc which is badly needed. Imm talking about the volume of buses departing at peak times versus the buses coming in to terminate. Every minute counts and not been able to depart at the proper time is frustrating. Bus Aras is to small for the amount if buses and routes. I have no idea what they do except build a bigger and better bus station somewhere close to the present site... But where or how is another thing.

Tell ya what, since your good at sitting on the fence why don't you make a couple of suggestions? I wait with trepidation. But just in case in there's no appetite... Why not have the 109 depart from somewhere except bus Aras, particularly the express. Then we won't have to waste 5 minutes of sitting around...

You are being smart arsed.

You highlighted what you say is a problem, but you didn't suggest a solution to it, in your earlier post.

From what other location would you suggest the 109 leave? Would this location be free from traffic congestion all the time in order to be assured of a swift departure with no delays?

• Advertisement

You are being smart arsed.

You highlighted what you say is a problem, but you didn't suggest a solution to it, in your earlier post.

From what other location would you suggest the 109 leave? Would this location be free from traffic congestion all the time in order to be assured of a swift departure with no delays?

Yes I am been smart arsed, unlike you Horseburger I don't have all the answers and I don't sit on the fence. Bus Aras at peak times is a diaster. Other departures points? Liberty hall, isfc. Somewhere you don't have to queue to leave the building.

Yes I am been smart arsed, unlike you Horseburger I don't have all the answers and I don't sit on the fence. Bus Aras at peak times is a diaster. Other departures points? Liberty hall, isfc. Somewhere you don't have to queue to leave the building.

When did I say I have all the answers? I am not that arrogant. I have acknowledged here before, the constructive suggestions - by other posters - for the services, and suggested they be sent in to Bus Éireann and the NTA.

Otherwise, what's the point complaining about Bus Éireann in this discussion?

How can you be sure that the bus wouldn't still be delayed by traffic, at peak times, if it left from the locations you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

Horseburger , the man of a thousand questions !

Tom , please take note , you are not allowed complain about the at times atrocious service provided by BE which you pay through the nose for, your job is to fix it ( and you will get acknowledgment from HB for doing same !), you can't expect the people who are paid to do this to attend to it. They are very busy people . So it you can get bus aras moved , ill work on resolving the traffic issue in phisborough/ cabra ? Fair enough ?

And I have some pertinent questions for you young man

Did you email BE? ( let's face it ,their reputation for responding to emails is second to none )
    Did you email NTA ?
    Did you email the EU Comission ?
    What did they say ?

Oh sorry! think I might be acting the smart arse ! ( strictly forbidden on this public forum too )

Shame on us both I say

Tom , please take note , you are not allowed complain about the at times atrocious service provided by BE which you pay through the nose for, your job is to fix it ( and you will get acknowledgment from HB for doing same !), you can't expect the people who are paid to do this to attend to it. They are very busy people . So it you can get bus aras moved , ill work on resolving the traffic issue in phisborough/ cabra ? Fair enough ?

Did you email BE? ( let's face it ,their reputation for responding to emails is second to none )
    Did you email NTA ?
    What did they say ?

Oh sorry! think I might be acting the smart arse ! ( strictly forbidden on this public forum too )

Shame on us both I say

Again, more smart-arsedness.

I never said that criticism was not permitted. I asked questions of you about the bus services and the intermediate stops - about which you constantly moan and whinge - to which you never replied.

You come across on this forum like you are the centre of the universe.

It is interesting to note that you said before that you have 20 years experience of using the bus service. Yet some other posters here, who have stated that the 109 is not their local route, have written far more constructive and detailed suggestions for changes to the route, than you have.

You obviously have not noticed, that the various bus drivers who write in this discussion, (yes, it's a discussion, not a mutual appreciation society), to whom you have referred in previous posts, have frequently stated that the only way to ensure positive changes to the service are made, is to send in suggestions to the relevant bodies.

well I mailed NTA and they don't answer email.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Did you email NTA ?
    What did they say ?

Shame on us both I say

Hey...watta bout...The TUNNEL ????...Who'll think of the Tunnel in all of this ...Huh ? :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

A thought occurred to me while sitting in traffic on the Blanchardstown slip road to let of one student. Is the 07:05 really an express? This is not a moan or a gripe an observation as such, but overall we spent 7 minutes going up the slip road and stuck in heavy traffic. Was there a tricked missed in building stops on the m3 with actual proper facilities for passengers to get of or even on? Or is the word express not entirely an accurate description of this service? Because really you can get of on any dublin bus stop if you request it. I pose these questions as 99% of the people go straight to the City centre. And I'm sure they would like an express that is a pure express.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

well I mailed NTA and they don't answer email.

They've always answered me and solved my issues when I've contacted them.

I didn't word my mail like a rant though, I explained the situation in detail and was courteous.

I see the 07.20 seems to be constantly getting in to O'Connell a the same time as the 07:05 even though there is a 15 minute difference departure. Think I might start getting that as the 07:05 seems to be taking the heavy load, am I right in saying there used to be to express departures at 07:05?

devnull wrote: »
    They've always answered me and solved my issues when I've contacted them.

I didn't word my mail like a rant though, I explained the situation in detail and was courteous.

yep, did the same and nothing. :(

what email address did u send to?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

yep, did the same and nothing. :(

what email address did u send to?

Info@nationaltransport.ie but normally get a reply from the relevant persons own account.

devnull wrote: »
    Info@nationaltransport.ie but normally get a reply from the relevant persons own account.

I found the National Transport Authority to be responsive, in replying to queries I made regarding some different bus routes. I rang the number and spoke to someone there, and when later on I sent emails to that person, they were responsive to my queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

So found out today what happens when you get on the 109 that does not have a leap card reader the driver just waved me on.

I thought you could only use the leapcard on 109A to navan. If I go by this,

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=375#routes

you can use the leapcard up to dunsaughlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I thought you could only use the leapcard on 109A to navan. If I go by this,

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=375#routes

you can use the leapcard up to dunsaughlin?

That's an error.

You can use LEAP on the entire 109 route along with all eastern region routes.

can u buy a return ticket with LEAP and what about the 109N?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

With Leap you can buy a 24 hour pass for unlimited journeys between the zones you chose for 24hours from when you buy the pass, you can also get a weekly pass on the leap card that allows the same unlimited journeys between say Navan and Navan Rd or Dunsaughlin for 7 days.

Map of the different Zones here
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1403538216-Zonal-Map-2014.pdf

Ticket options and list of routes here
    http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=375#ticket%20options

I don't know where in Meath you travel to but Dunsaughlin is in the green zone and Navan is a blue zone ticket, The only options for day or week pass is a ticket either to or from the greater Dublin area which would include Blanchardstown centre/slip road. Currently there are no period ticket option to go from one coloured zone to another on the Leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

For Bus Eireann Eastern region, you can buy:
    * A single (priced at 16% discount on the cash price)
    * A 24 hour ticket for any of up to 5 zones around Dublin
    * A 7 day ticket for any of up to 5 zones around Dublin

You can also hold monthly/annual tickets on a personalised card.

You'll need to check if the 24 hour/7 day tickets are better options than the return or 10 Journey options. As they are zonal tickets they may/may not be better priced.

The full details are here:
    http://buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=375

You cannot use it on the 109N.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Yesterday and this morning the 109 6.20 that Arrives in Navan already had a lot of people on it and by the time it got to Dunshaughlin it couldn't take on any more passengers.

There seemed to be more people getting on in Navan than the usual crowd, wonder if any of the earlier buses didn't show.

• Advertisement

Furp wrote: »
    Yesterday and this morning the 109 6.20 that Arrives in Navan already had a lot of people on it and by the time it got to Dunshaughlin it couldn't take on any more passengers.

There seemed to be more people getting on in Navan than the usual crowd, wonder if any of the earlier buses didn't show.

The 6.20am 109 from Navan, starts in Kells at 6am.

It is the second 109 service Monday-Friday. The first leaves Kells at 5.30am and is scheduled to pick up at Navan Market Square at 5.50am.

Advertisement