Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

CiniO wrote: »
    Camera man seems to be 100% convinced of scooter rider's fault.

But to be honest, I can see the biker indicate right and is positioned within right side of his lane. Then suddenly changes indicator to left and turns left without checking his mirror.
    I'd say 50/50 would be more correct, even with stipulating more fault on the side of the biker.
    You forgot the key fact that the undertook the camera bike first, he was also going to undertake the other bike as well.

He has an L plate and clearly needs more training before he gets his license.

edit: don't forget that they drive on the left in the UK. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The one with the scooter is one awful fool and won't last long riding like that.

He undertook cam bike and then done the same into bike indicating left.

He is just showing off and has no skill or experience and was totally wrong as why else would he fly off after running into the other bike from behind.

I love the little wheelie attempt as he nearly grounds himself and also nearly collides with the van.

Full training should be compulsary before any tool like him is allowed ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

You forgot the key fact that the undertook the camera bike first, he was also going to undertake the other bike as well.

He has an L plate and clearly needs more training before he gets his license.

edit: don't forget that they drive on the left in the UK. ;)

As far as I know in UK (same as in Ireland) undertaking vehicle which signalled intention to turn right is fully legal.
    And that's exactly what the front biker was doing - signalling to turn right.

I have no idea if camera biker was signalling to turn right as well - most likely not, and most likely undertaking him by scooter rider was illegal. But we don't know that from the video.
    Also scooter rider should have wondered why is biker signalling right turn considering there was no road to turn right, and because of this expect some strange behaviour from the biker - and that's exactly what happened - biker suddenly within less than 1 second changed indicator from right to left, and from right side of his lane started turning left without checking his mirror.

As I said - this should be 50/50 in the worst case, and possibly more blame to the biker than scooter rider.

The one with the scooter is one awful fool and won't last long riding like that.

He undertook cam bike and then done the same into bike indicating left.
    Bike was indicating right and positioned on right side of the lane.
    He changed indicator to left in the last moment when it was too late for scooter rider to brake.
    He is just showing off and has no skill or experience and was totally wrong as why else would he fly off after running into the other bike from behind.
    Maybe he flew off, as camera rider was abusing him and he was affraid this could turn into more serious road rage.
    I love the little wheelie attempt as he nearly grounds himself and also nearly collides with the van.
    Well, no surprise he was bit distracted after what happened.
    Full training should be compulsary before any tool like him is allowed ride.

I though it was compulsory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

The biker was in the middle of the lane from the roundabout onward, there was also at least 2.5s and possibly 3s between indicating left and impact.

Indeed, the moped is just about level with the camera bike until front rider indicates left and camera bike starts to slow.

Instead of slowing, the moped guns the engine (and indeed you can hear the engine screaming after impact).

CiniO, everyone likes a good argument, but could you not choose a less obnoxious one to take a silly stand on?

As far as I know in UK (same as in Ireland) undertaking vehicle which signalled intention to turn right is fully legal.
    And that's exactly what the front biker was doing - signalling to turn right.

I have no idea if camera biker was signalling to turn right as well - most likely not, and most likely undertaking him by scooter rider was illegal. But we don't know that from the video.
    Also scooter rider should have wondered why is biker signalling right turn considering there was no road to turn right, and because of this expect some strange behaviour from the biker - and that's exactly what happened - biker suddenly within less than 1 second changed indicator from right to left, and from right side of his lane started turning left without checking his mirror.

As I said - this should be 50/50 in the worst case, and possibly more blame to the biker than scooter rider.
    When in a hole, stop digging!

The biker was a bit slow in cancelling the indicator after leaving the roundabout, bike indicators need to be manually cancelled after a turn, but still no excuse to dive up the inside. The biker was also in the middle of the carriageway with no clear "indication" as to whether he was going change direction until he indicated after straightening up from leaving the roundabout. Then he indicated left, any experienced motorist would hold back to see where he was going.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

His indicator was still flashing right cause he just came off the roundabout. On a bike you actually have to mnually switch of your indicator. Its not like in a car where it usually turns itself of when you turn the steering wheel.

The fault for this accident is clearly the douche on the scooter. The two guys on the bikes did nothing wrong. Correct road position, correct speed and good distance between themselves. Whereas the scooter was none of these.

You clearly never ridden or have any knowledge of motorcycle riding.

When in a hole, stop digging!

The biker was a bit slow in cancelling the indicator after leaving the roundabout,
    First of all he should have left indicator when leaving roundabout. But let's drop it.
    It took him 7 seconds with right indicator after leaving roundabout. Surely that can be misleading enough.
    bike indicators need to be manually cancelled after a turn, but still no excuse to dive up the inside.
    Of course there is. Scooter rider went on inside, as he was thinking that biker is turning right. That's what indicator are for.
    The biker was also in the middle of the carriageway with no clear "indication" as to whether he was going change direction
    I don't know how you look at it, but from what I can see he was on the right side of his lane with right indicator. That's fairly clear indication that he was going to change direction. Unfortunately he changed it into other side that anyone could think.
    until he indicated after straightening up from leaving the roundabout. Then he indicated left, any experienced motorist would hold back to see where he was going.

Agree. Experiences motorist would. But scooter rider wasn't experienced.

Tragedy wrote: »
    The biker was in the middle of the lane from the roundabout onward, there was also at least 2.5s and possibly 3s between indicating left and impact.
    Looks like you didn't really look into the video. There was about 1 seconds between him indicating left and the impact.
    Indeed, the moped is just about level with the camera bike until front rider indicates left and camera bike starts to slow.

Instead of slowing, the moped guns the engine (and indeed you can hear the engine screaming after impact).
    Moped rider started braking as soon as he saw left indicator. Looking at the video it took him less than 0.5 second which is fairly good reaction time. Better than average anyway. Nothing more he could do at this stage.
    CiniO, everyone likes a good argument, but could you not choose a less obnoxious one to take a silly stand on?

It's not a sill stand on. Video shows it all. Most fault should go to bike rider.
    Only fault of moped rider is that he didn't expect the unexpected.

Looks like usual Irish style understanding of traffic from what you are saying. Person at fault is the one who was driving faster. That's what most people think unfortunately in this country.

• Advertisement

Bikers should be looking out for each other not fighting or hitting them.

Cinio that scooter rider was the one looking for a fight as the rider he hit was the one that looked more shocked and afraid from what i saw on the video.

As said above bikes indicators are manual and at times can be forgotten or even press the button but not knock off as happened to me many a occasion.

You should know better undertaking is wrong even more so on a 49cc hair dryer against two way more powerful bikes.

He is not experienced and that showed up in the video even riding with no protective gear and a undone/loose helmet and riding position on scooter all wrong, along with his behaviour.

I would guess he is the type that puts his leg out when going around bends and that.

If you feel someone is driving badly in front of you cinio would you put yourself in harms way and undertake.

I hope they reported him and got damage to bike paid for.

I started off on scooters myself and fully admit it was great fun a little slow but great to get out and yes took some chances but never ever did i ride as bad as that.

flynnlives wrote: »
    His indicator was still flashing right cause he just came off the roundabout. On a bike you actually have to mnually switch of your indicator. Its not like in a car where it usually turns itself of when you turn the steering wheel.
    So?
    Does this justify keeping the indicator for extra 6 seconds?
    The fault for this accident is clearly the douche on the scooter. The two guys on the bikes did nothing wrong.
    Yes sure.
    Positioning on the right side of his lane, indicating right, and then suddenly changing indicator to left and turning left 1 second later without checking the mirrors is nothing wrong. Of course.
    Correct road position, correct speed and good distance between themselves. Whereas the scooter was none of these.

You clearly never ridden or have any knowledge of motorcycle riding.
    I don't have bike licence indeed and I've ridden bikes very little. Mostly mopeds.
    But that doesn't change what I see on the video. And there I can see that most fault should be on bikers side, not moped rider.

Do you see that flash? That's his indicator Cinio. Strange how the camera bike that's almost level with the moped at this stage has absolutely no problem slowing down and staying well back from the front rider.

If the moped rider has amazing reflexes!!!111, the camera rider's must be Godly.

Do please also note that he's roughly in the middle of the lane here, despite your assertions that he's far to the right.

Bikers should be looking out for each other not fighting or hitting them.

Cinio that scooter rider was the one looking for a fight as the rider he hit was the one that looked more shocked and afraid from what i saw on the video.
    It looks like to me that scooter rider came to biker to check if he is allright, and after hearing shouting of camerman he just escaped.
    As said above bikes indicators are manual and at times can be forgotten or even press the button but not knock off as happened to me many a occasion.
    Maybe it can happen, but keeping indicator on can be very misleading, and in that case definitely was for scooter rider.
    You should know better undertaking is wrong even more so on a 49cc hair dryer against two way more powerful bikes.
    Undertaking of vehicles signalling turn right is not wrong. And that what scooter rider was doing.
    He is not experienced and that showed up in the video even riding with no protective gear and a undone/loose helmet and riding position on scooter all wrong, along with his behaviour.

I would guess he is the type that puts his leg out when going around bends and that.
    Well, I don't know much about correct techniques of riding the scooter.
    If you feel someone is driving badly in front of you cinio would you put yourself in harms way and undertake.
    I wouldn't because I'm experienced enough on the roads to expect the unexpected. But scooter rider wasn't. Surely not expecting the unexpected though, is less kind of carelessness, than riding in such misleading way as biker did.
    I hope they reported him and got damage to bike paid for.
    After seeing a video, I strongly doubt scooter insurance would pay for damage to the bike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Cinio likes a good argument alright. So much so that he'll argue the complete opposite to what he did the day before just for the hell of it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

And what did we all learn from this? two wheels bad four wheels good :D.

• Advertisement

Do you see that flash? That's his indicator Cinio. Strange how the camera bike that's almost level with the moped at this stage has absolutely no problem slowing down and staying well back from the front rider.
    No it's not strange. Camera biker wasn't intending to overtake the biker in front, so he was keeping the same speed as him.
    Mopes was intending to overtake (on the left) biker who was positioned on the right and indicating right, so he was already going faster and accelerating.
    If the moped rider has amazing reflexes!!!111, the camera rider's must be Godly.
    The picture you linked, shows the very first moment indicator was switched to left from right. At that moment moped was already going faster than the biker and accelerating. No matter how good reflex he has, there was not enough time to stop in time.
    Do please also note that he's roughly in the middle of the lane here, despite your assertions that he's far to the right.
    Your own picture is deceiving you.
    I just added a scale to it. 3 units of length to the right edge of lane, and 7 units to the left. Where did you see that roughly middle lane?

Jesus. wrote: »
    Cinio likes a good argument alright. So much so that he'll argue the complete opposite to what he did the day before just for the hell of it :)

Oh come on.
    I already explained you the difference.
    Yesterday we were talking about point of having lights on at daytime. You said there was no point, I said there was point as they increase your safety.
    Today we were talking about cyclist with no lights, and I was saying that there is nothing wrong with not having them (assuming it wasn't that dark they'd be required by law).
    Can you see a difference between advantage of having lights at daytime, compared to not having them as being something wrong?

Completely two different things.

Whatever you say Cinio :pac:

Whatever you say Cinio :pac:

I assume that's the easiest thing to say, once you understand you have no point.

No it's not strange. Camera biker wasn't intending to overtake the biker in front, so he was keeping the same speed as him.
    Mopes was intending to overtake (on the left) biker who was positioned on the right and indicating right, so he was already going faster and accelerating.
    Moped was level with camera biker for several seconds. In fact, the camera biker caught up with the moped just before the accident.

The picture you linked, shows the very first moment indicator was switched to left from right. At that moment moped was already going faster than the biker and accelerating.
    No it wasn't, you can clearly see and hear in the video when the moped guns it - and it wasn't til the indicator was switched on.

The moped rider can be seen looking at the camera bike, he's watching the camera bike and trying to get in front of him - not looking ahead at a slowing and indicating rider in front.
    No matter how good reflex he has, there was not enough time to stop in time.
    The camera bike managed it just fine because the rider didn't accelerate into an indicating bike.

Your own picture is deceiving you.
    I just added a scale to it. 3 units of length to the right edge of lane, and 7 units to the left. Where did you see that roughly middle lane?
    Are you deliberately trying to be misleading now?
    oxAEBR3.jpg
    3 steps to the right, 4 to the left
    Or alternateive
    2.5 steps to the right, 3 to the left.

That's pretty damn close to the middle Cinio.

PS: If you had have watched the video, you would know the centre of the road isn't halfway between the the left and the parked cars, which is what you seem to be basing your "He was all the way over on the left!!!!122" comments on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Gee! Haven't seen you in ages Tragedy!
    You still have that chameleon MG?
    Moved out of Knocklyon 4 years ago so haven't been exactly up to speed :pac:

Yes! It's a garden ornament in Scholarstown these days

Moped was level with camera biker for several seconds. In fact, the camera biker caught up with the moped just before the accident.

No it wasn't, you can clearly see and hear in the video when the moped guns it - and it wasn't til the indicator was switched on.
    There surely is some delay. He started accelerating before left indicator was turned on. I told you 1 seconds from the impact is when indicator was turned on. If moped rider took 0.5 second to start braking, it was really good reaction.
    The moped rider can be seen looking at the camera bike, he's watching the camera bike and trying to get in front of him - not looking ahead at a slowing and indicating rider in front.
    As above. If he managed to start braking 0.5 second after biker in front turned left indicator, that means he was watching road ahead as he should.
    The camera bike managed it just fine because the rider didn't accelerate into an indicating bike.
    He didn't accelerate, because he didn't start accelerating ealier, when biker in front had right indicator on.
    Are you deliberately trying to be misleading now?
    oxAEBR3.jpg
    3 steps to the right, 4 to the left
    Or alternateive
    2.5 steps to the right, 3 to the left.

That's pretty damn close to the middle Cinio.

PS: If you had have watched the video, you would know the centre of the road isn't halfway between the the left and the parked cars, which is what you seem to be basing your "He was all the way over on the left!!!!122" comments on.

What are you talking about?
    3 steps to the right is already middle of right lane.
    On your picture it's tiny bit more than 2 steps to the right for the middle line.
    and nearly for steps to the kerb on the left.
    So it's not close to the middle.
    It's close to having 1/4 of lane on the right, and 3/4 on the left.

I pictured exact scale where it can be clearly seen, and you instead of admitting what can be clearly seen on that picture, put some other tine picture which doesn't show position even close as precisely as my drawing.

Just have a look again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

But to be honest, I can see the biker indicate right and is positioned within right side of his lane. Then suddenly changes indicator to left and turns left without checking his mirror.
    I'd say 50/50 would be more correct, even with stipulating more fault on the side of the biker.

I'm dumbfounded. I think you need to read the rules of the road again. Don't get hung up on one point.

He was indicating right coming off the round about. It's possible he tried to neutralize his indicator but this did not happen (ever ride a motorcycle? It's not quite as easy as a car).

The little scobby on the hairdryer was fixated on the driver with the cam as he knew he was in the wrong. He wasn't paying attention to the road what so ever.

The motorbike indicated left, and the child on the moped just ploughed on.

Say there is a right turn there (there's not, but maybe he's indicating to park) Do you still undertake at top speed? Sure if you're an inexperienced twat like the scooter driver. He should have slowed down and driven at a speed to deal with an unexpected occurance.

He's completely in the wrong, I can't believe this is even up for debate.
    Maybe he flew off, as camera rider was abusing him and he was affraid this could turn into more serious road rage.
    Well, no surprise he was bit distracted after what happened.

Rubbish, he was trying to be as alpha a duck in front of two other adults on proper two wheeled motors. If anything he is showing road rage after the incident driving aggressively up to the driver and flaying like somebody took away his soother.
    I don't have bike licence indeed and I've ridden bikes very little. Mostly mopeds.

The agenda is quite clear now.

Coming from behind, you are always going to be completely at fault.

There surely is some delay. He started accelerating before left indicator was turned on. I told you 1 seconds from the impact is when indicator was turned on. If moped rider took 0.5 second to start braking, it was really good reaction.
    Denial.

As above. If he managed to start braking 0.5 second after biker in front turned left indicator, that means he was watching road ahead as he should.
    Denial

He didn't accelerate, because he didn't start accelerating ealier, when biker in front had right indicator on.
    Denial

What are you talking about?
    3 steps to the right is already middle of right lane.
    3 steps to the right is the white line.
    Do you know what the white line is Cinio? It delineates the end of one lane and the start of the other.
    On your picture it's tiny bit more than 2 steps to the right for the middle line
    Ahhh I get it.
    For some reason you're measuring from the riders elbow to some made up point in space and time, rather than using the centre of his rear wheel.

So it's not close to the middle.
    It's close to having 1/4 of lane on the right, and 3/4 on the left.
    Yes. a 57/43 split is close to having a 75/25 split.
    Yes Cinio.
    I pictured exact scale where it can be clearly seen
    There is severe fisheye distortion with the camera at the edges, which is clearly visible. You also placed the ruler too high, and didn't mark the middle of the road.

In short, your 'exact scale' is about as inexact as you could have created.

Just have a look again.

Says the guy who hasn't watched the video.

I can't believe there are actually graphs coming out, now.

The discussions in here are like something out of Father Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I can't believe there are actually graphs coming out, now.
    Down with this sort of thing. :p

Put a brick on the accelerator.

Is there anything to be said for another mass.

Cinio you say you drive for a living you really should know better.

That fool on moped is 100% wrong and shows that even more leaving the seen of an accident, also look how quick he darts back onto bike and tries to intimidate proper biker,

Turn up your sound you can clearly hear him shouting and the wheelie and take off are the funniest I have ever seen nearly fell off the chair.

That moped rider was more likely not insured(guess), not experienced, not qualified(technically no licence as lerner), no safety gear whatsoever, loose/not fixed helmet and his riding position wow does he look like 1 absolute tool.

The only mistake two bikers made was not boxing him in and letting him away.

If I had a tip on my bike or car I would not just fly off as that would be admission of guilt as I have/ must have something to hide.

Cinio go ride a moped/motorbike and then come back and have your say as it will just show you what it is like and holding road possition for turns is different to cars/vans/trucks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Would the guards in Mountbellew or Ballinasloe be interested in that?

Ordinarily I'm not a fan of reporting as we don't see the few minutes before or after on these clips....... but this guy was 2 seconds away from causing 2 head on collisions in 2 minutes.

I really didn't expect that Muppet on a Moped video to provoke such an argument, after all, it's so clear cut. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Hal1 wrote: »
    And what did we all learn from this? two wheels bad four wheels good :D.

NO it just means there is many idiot drivers around.

Just a few days ago I was going through a green light at a crossroads on the bike and an idiot in a small car alto decides to cut across in front of me from the side. Luckily I had enough time to decide to either gun it or slow down as I saw that he had no intention of stopping for the red light.

Exact same thing happened before when I was in the car at a junction further up the road. I was able to stop in time and the other car was not a car but a truck.

Most of the time Im wondering did some people find their licence at the bottom of a pack of cornflakes.

One more thing is, on the subject of lights during day....... never EVER under estimate the stupidy of other drivers walkers bikers cyclists joggers etc.
    So the first thing when I get on the bike or drive the car is turn on the lights. whether its 9 in the morning or 9 at night.
    I want to be seen

Cinio you say you drive for a living you really should know better.

I've said it before but I've found that the people who are constantly banging on about safety and sound very self-righteous about driving are actually the among the most dangerous there are. Cinio's video of himself driving a few pages back displayed an aggressiveness that you get from folk who believe they're infallible and turn into as*hles when they get behind the wheel.

I'm sure Cinio is a sound chap in real life but when some people get behind the wheel of a car, their entire demeanor changes. I know, I've been in cars with some of them.

I've said it before but I've found that the people who are constantly banging on about safety and sound very self-righteous about driving are actually the among the most dangerous there are. Cinio's video of himself driving a few pages back displayed an aggressiveness that you get from folk who believe they're infallible and turn into as*hles when they get behind the wheel.

I'm sure Cinio is a sound chap in real life but when some people get behind the wheel of a car, their entire demeanour changes. I know, I've been in cars with some of them.
    That sentence reminded me of this video. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

50/50 . you must be joking. (if not, I would rate your road skills as very poor. Again..)

biker.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

This thread never ceases to amaze me. The scooter couldn't be more at fault but yet there are fcuking graphs coming out to prove that the scooter was legally illegally driving like a complete and utter fcuktard.
    Crashes into another bike, goes right up to said biker and looking very confrontational then speeds off like a fcuktard and nearly wipes himself out again.
    Yet there are posters willing to agree that the scooter was only 50% in the wrong?? Christ Almighty I need to get rid of my licence and take the bus if these are the type of drivers we have on our roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

As a biker for 10+ years and had a moped for one of those I can say the moped driver is completely in the wrong. Lack of care, lack of foresight, lack of discipline, lack of self preservation.

The key to safe motorbike driving is driving defensively, the guy on the moped was very aggressive.

This easily avoided accident could have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Cinio, you clearly don't ride a bike. You generally shouldn't overtake any bike in the same lane, on the left or right, because a bike may have to move either way to avoid obstacles that mean very little to a car. Wet road paint, wet manhole covers, a bundle of twigs or stones etc. In fact, when I'm riding my bike, I often ride to the right of my lane on purpose. This is called blocking position and it's done to stop people from doing exactly what I said above. Overtaking you in the same lane.

Moped driver is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

In regards the the cyclist video. I'm always amazed and just how loonie some of the cyclists on this site are. If you go to the communiting & transport forum or cycling forum, theres an old thread about wearing hiviz clothing, and nearly every cyclist is against it.
    I actually got banned on an old account because I argued that if you didnt wear hiviz while cycling at night you're only looking to be hit.

apparenlty a little red light on the back should be sufficient enough according to them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

hairybelly wrote: »
    In regards the the cyclist video. I'm always amazed and just how loonie some of the cyclists on this site are. If you go to the communiting & transport forum or cycling forum, theres an old thread about wearing hiviz clothing, and nearly every cyclist is against it.
    I actually got banned on an old account because I argued that if you didnt wear hiviz while cycling at night you're only looking to be hit.

apparenlty a little red light on the back should be sufficient enough according to them :rolleyes:

I don't think most cyclists would say a 'little red light' is sufficient, they would more than likely advocate proper strength lighting rather than just a hi-vis. A high vis is useless if there is a situation where your lights don't happen to hit the hi-vis, i.e. the inside of a corner or a certain distance away if you have dips lights on, therefore a safer method would be adequate lighting. Car's do not have hi-vis markings, as adequate rear lighting is mandatory and proven.

The cyclist on this video should have adequate lighting to be seen by oncoming cars, that's for sure, and the overwhelming majority of cyclists would agree, but the argument about hi-vis shouldn't be used to paint cyclists as 'loonies'
    This post has been deleted.

That's just inflammatory..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

There should be no need for hi viz on any mode of transport if you have adequate lighting.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

First of all he should have left indicator when leaving roundabout. But let's drop it.
    It took him 7 seconds with right indicator after leaving roundabout. Surely that can be misleading enough.

So?
    Does this justify keeping the indicator for extra 6 seconds?

Wait, was it 7 or 6? 5 max I say. Also your ruler in the pic...you start it against the kerb on the left and don't go as far as the centre line on the right. Anything for an argument though, eh?

I'm gonna drop the moped rider talk, as I presented my point, but no one seems to agree with me - so no point in discussing further.
    Ehh whatever - surely according to all of yous riding motorbike with right indicator on the right side of the lane for good few seconds, and then suddenly changing to left indicator and turning left without checking mirrors is right behaviour. Well fair play.

Anyway what you said above about my video really got me thinking.
    Only video I posted few pages back is that one:

Are you seriously saying that this video displayed an aggressiveness that you get from folk who believe they're infallible and turn into as*hles when they get behind the wheel.

I'm absolutely astonished here, where do you see any aggressiveness in my driving on that video?

I'm sure Cinio is a sound chap in real life but when some people get behind the wheel of a car, their entire demeanor changes. I know, I've been in cars with some of them.
    Well you've never been in the vehicle with me - or wait - maybe you were but you don't even know about it. Over last 7 years, I've driven at least 40,000 passengers in Ireland, so that accounts for almost 1% of population. Big chance you were my passenger once. Yet I never heard a complaint, so possibly wasn't that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

hairybelly wrote: »

I think you'll find that what many cyclists (and others) argued against was compulsory hi-vis, which is a different story all together.

Do you have hi-vis on your car? Are you only looking to be hit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

RainyDay wrote: »
    I think you'll find that what many cyclists (and others) argued against was compulsory hi-vis, which is a different story all together.

Do you have hi-vis on your car? Are you only looking to be hit?

The onus of protection should always be on those that pose the greatest danger, not exactly the cyclist.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

Are you seriously saying that this video displayed an aggressiveness that you get from folk who believe they're infallible and turn into as*hles when they get behind the wheel.I'm absolutely astonished here, where do you see any aggressiveness in my driving on that video?

Yes, it was aggressive. You were travelling at a slow speed and should simply have stopped close to the offending car like you did. That would have been sufficient to make them aware they made an error. There was no need to give it the full blast there. I wouldn't have.

Its in incidents not too unlike these (only a bit less straightforward, say 70/30 or so) that people blasting horns and losing their rag in close proximity with one another that leads to bust ups and all sorts on the sides of the streets. I've only seen your driving in that clip and adding that to your arguing the toss on here all the time, I'd make a calculated guess that you'd be more susceptible to getting into, lets just say "situations", than a driver that was more calm and less aggressive.

I stand by what I said about the people who are constantly on about safety, rules, regulations etc and arguing about them constantly. They think they're 100% right all the time and that actually makes them more dangerous than the average more relaxed driver IMO. I've seen it with my own two eyes on more than a couple of occasions.

Yes, it was aggressive. You were travelling at a slow speed and should simply have stopped close to the offending car like you did. That would have been sufficient to make them aware they made an error. There was no need to give it the full blast there. I wouldn't have.

Are you crazy. I pretty much proceeded emergency braking. Couldn't really stopped much faster. Other driver clearly didn't see me, as he started pulling out. What should I do - wait there until he crashes into me? That's what the horn is for - to warn other drivers about danger. And that's exactly what I did.
    If you think this was aggressive horn to tell him he's a idiot, then there's really something wrong with your perception of such events.
    I can definitely tell you, that using horn there was the most correct thing to do.

Its in incidents not too unlike these (only a bit less straightforward, say 70/30 or so) that people blasting horns and losing their rag in close proximity with one another that leads to bust ups and all sorts on the sides of the streets.
    Well I can assure you - I never initiate road rage, and I really try hard to avoid using horn as kind of aggressive device to tell someone that he's a muppet (it's hard sometimes to resist, but in vast majority of cases I do resist). What you are suggesting above that I'm kind of driver that gets annoyed by any idiot and gets furious is very very far from true. You just don't know me, so stop commenting.
    I've only seen your driving in that clip and adding that to your arguing the toss on here all the time, I'd make a calculated guess that you'd be more susceptible to getting into, lets just say "situations", than a driver that was more calm and less aggressive.
    That's just ridiculous. You call me aggressive driver because I used the horn in moment when it was badly needed to warn other driver of danger.
    Maybe you just don't know what the horn is for.
    I stand by what I said about the people who are constantly on about safety, rules, regulations etc and arguing about them constantly. They think they're 100% right all the time and that actually makes them more dangerous than the average more relaxed driver IMO. I've seen it with my own two eyes on more than a couple of occasions.

Well, you can have your own opinion - I don't really care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I to agree with Cinio. He stayed on the horn till he was noticed and the offending driver stopped.

If the other driver takes offence, then tough cheese. They really should pay more attention before they get hurt.

That was a perfect example of what a horn is for .

That was a perfect example of what a horn is for.

There's another example but I'd be banned if I linked the website :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] Big chance you were my passenger once. Yet I never heard a complaint, so possibly wasn't that bad.

Maybe they were too scared to say a word? ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement