Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 15 laptop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

To the guys who have bought this laptop...how long did delivery take,as they are quoting me 6 weeks..thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    To the guys who have bought this laptop...how long did delivery take,as they are quoting me 6 weeks..thanks.

Ordered Mine Yesterday and told me 6th. Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Well i went ahead and ordered one today and delivery date is the 6th of december
    just thought it was a bit long to wait to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭dubmick

Ordered on Wednesday afternoon, arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

Farnsworth wrote: »
    Installed classic shell which get rid of metro interface
    Got rid of trial McAfee & installed AVG (one of the BA threads for 4 year free AVG IS, works fine)
    I am very delighted with this

By the classic shell, do you mean that you have a Windows 7 type look? If so, how did you do this. Was it a setting or did you have to download something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

WHL wrote: »
    By the classic shell, do you mean that you have a Windows 7 type look? If so, how did you do this. Was it a setting or did you have to download something

You can download it from http://www.classicshell.net/ I'm using it on this laptop and it works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Great App.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Farnsworth

WHL wrote: »

Google windows 8.1 classic shell. Its free n yes it will make windows 7 type look

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Farnsworth

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    ordered mine on sunday n received on wed
    they say 4th nov expected delivery but arrived on 29th oct. Dat is system generated delivery date after your oder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Will no doubt meet some of you at some stage when something fails on them in record time ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭dubmick

Etnies wrote: »
    Will no doubt meet some of you at some stage when something fails on them in record time ^^

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You're one of those "you get what you pay for" merchants?

I've got news for you. That old adage is a load of crap. If you're smart and do your research, there is great value for money out there. I don't want to go off topic here, but did you know Aldi dishwashing liquid came out best in a recent consumer test? Better than Fairy. And obviously at only a fraction of the price.

unkel wrote: »
    You're one of those "you get what you pay for" merchants?

I've got news for you. That old adage is a load of crap. If you're smart and do your research, there is great value for money out there. I don't want to go off topic here, but did you know Aldi dishwashing liquid came out best in a recent consumer test? Better than Fairy. And obviously at only a fraction of the price.

Nope not at all, and Yes I did know that because you posted it last week on another topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Nope not at all, and Yes I did know that because you posted it last week on another topic.

Anti-Dell..........perhaps?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kala85 wrote: »
    Does this laptop have a DVD drive
    It's cheap and cheerful you aren't paying for anything that isn't essential

No DVD
    No Ethernet - Only network connection is WiFi
    No VGA - but has HDMI
    Only two USB ports - you could use SD cards instead. get an SD to USB adaptor in the pound shops to use the SD on other devices

while you are in the pound shop you could pick up a bluetooth usb too :)

[edit - this bit is about how DVD drives aren't used anymore in laptops - not that you could put one in this ]
    re DVD drives , at this stage one of the best uses might be to stick a second HDD or SSD in a caddy like this http://www.buyincoins.com/item/45903.html if you don't mind it eating into your battery life a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭SickBoy

It's cheap and cheerful you aren't paying for anything that isn't essential

No DVD
    No Ethernet - Only network connection is WiFi
    No VGA - but has HDMI
    Only two USB ports - you could use SD cards instead. get an SD to USB adaptor in the pound shops to use the SD on other devices

while you are in the pound shop you could pick up a bluetooth usb too :)

re DVD drives , at this stage one of the best uses might be to stick a second HDD or SSD in a caddy like this http://www.buyincoins.com/item/45903.html if you don't mind it eating into your battery life a bit

That optical bay caddy won't work because even though there is a space for a drive this unit there's no sata connection within that bay.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

The keyboard looks like one from a much higher end laptop. Can anyone commented on what it's like? Is it actually an island style?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Showing at €249 now (without using the 10% discount code).
    How does it compare to this laptop, reduced to €257?

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/toshiba-satellite-c50b14d-156-laptop-black/318123/104.12

That one has extra

Ethernet
    Sd reader
    Vga port
    1x Usb 3.0

So its a worthwhile bit better.

Probably a worse keyboard. Dunno about the screen quality

beauf wrote: »
    That one has extra

Ethernet
    Sd reader
    Vga port
    1x Usb 3.0

So its a worthwhile bit better.

Probably a worse keyboard. Dunno about the screen quality

Googled the toshiba and the reviews are not great on Amazon. Might just go with the Dell as a Santa present. Once it can play Minecraft don't think the daughter will be too bothered with lack of usb3, ethernet etc. lol

• Advertisement

If shes playing just basic minecraft thats ok. If shes playing bigger maps and custom stuff she might find it a bit slow. We tried it here on a i3 with a HD4000 and it was just so so. Much better with a proper gfx card.

If shes playing just basic minecraft thats ok. If shes playing bigger maps and custom stuff she might find it a bit slow. We tried it here on a i3 with a HD4000 and it was just so so. Much better with a proper gfx card.

Unfortunately I think custom maps etc will be utilized on the machine. She currently uses my laptop and is forever downloading the latest maps from Swampy :rolleyes:

Is it expensive to upgrade the graphics card on the Dell further on down the road?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

Plascebo wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think custom maps etc will be utilized on the machine. She currently uses my laptop and is forever downloading the latest maps from Swampy :rolleyes:

Is it expensive to upgrade the graphics card on the Dell further on down the road?

Can't be done unfortunately. Would a small PC work out better for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Plascebo wrote: »

I doubt this has a graphics card per se, rather it has a Graphics chip on the motherboard or the CPU and memory has an allocation dedicated to Graphics.

So, you wont be able to upgrade it.

One of the reasons its so cheap is that Dell buy in Motherboards from Intel with a lot of the Systems already on board, needless to say, these won't be top of the range. but adequate for many tasks.

Its cheaper because they've stripped all but the minimum of features and it's an atom rather than a full Celeron or Pentium. But its still great deal for 200. Perfect for browsing and office stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

Its cheaper because they've stripped all but the minimum of features and it's an atom rather than a full Celeron or Pentium. But its still great deal for 200. Perfect for browsing and office stuff.

Where are you seeing it for 200 mate?

unkel wrote: »
    Yep. The price has been going up and down between €209 and €249 the last few weeks / months

This...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

This...

Thanks. Ya it's 249 at the moment. I think I'm going to hold off and wait to c will it go down again.

dodzy wrote: »
    Anti-Dell..........perhaps?

Nope, say what you see folks the clue is in the question :D

• Advertisement

Can't be done unfortunately. Would a small PC work out better for her?

Unfortunately not, Santa is definitely bringing a laptop, lack of space being one of the reasons.

Not knowing much about pc's/laptops I was working on the presupposition that more processing power=better minecraft play.

Working with that, there is a Lenovo laptop in powercity with 2.41 ghz (and dvd drive lol) for €299, with intel hd integrated graphics (whatever that means).

Advertisement