Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words that bug you - written or spoken

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

English is not a finely tuned language and the way it's used often irritates me .Also words and meanings get hijacked and transposed to another realm of uncleanness .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

stick girl wrote: »
    This is a small pet peeve: when people say 'shrimps', when speaking the plural form of shrimp. Though technically I guess it's right, I prefer to say (& hear it said).. shrimp. one shrimp, two shrimp, 100 shrimp swimming in the sea.

Now if you've got something against the letter S please tell us.

If you were to drop the S in your post it would go like this:

Thi i a mall pet peeve: when people ay "hrimp", when peaking the plural form of hrimp. Though technically I gue it' right, I prefer to ay (& hear it aid) .. hrimp. one hrimp, two hrimp, 100 hrimp wimming in the ea.

There, FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭northern lights

It nearly makes my fingers bleed to type this one - 'My Bad'
    Who, why, where and what in the name of all that's holy is that all about????
    Arrghhhh!!!!
    There... I feel much better now, thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I absolutely agree, I hate it just as much as you do - couldn't they say - sorry, my mistake or sorry, I've made a mistake ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Arrghhhh!!!!

Oh dear, I previously noticed one of our 'old retainers' here has already used that phrase, and to be honest I hadn't heard of it before and didn't know what it meant. Someone's in trouble now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Arrghhhh!!!!
    Never use it myself, but there's something about it I quite like :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eildoran

my 21 year old son replied "potassium" instead of the usual "K" - thought that was clever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

gotton

....this last/past 'number' of years whatever number that means but not as honest as 'several' which suggest seven . This 'point' in time .......Who thinks up these new fangled nonsense phrases ?

and 'going forward' (which is just a way of avoiding the blame for what they did in the past and not answering the question they're being asked now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

omg,I just hate it when kids keep repeating it

Rubecula wrote: »
    I hate it when people keep saying, "you know" and "like" when telling you something.

"Like he went for the ball you know, and you know he got it like so it was not a foul like, you know."

"YOU KNOW" is short for "do you know what i mean?" because we irish are very poor listeners and have to be constantly prodded with "you know"s

And there's 'like' that gets repeated, like, all the time or there's 'basically' that they can't stop saying at the beginning of every sentence.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    'Like' by Joseph O'Connor. It's brilliant!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx-siLoRmgc

So good I thought I'd post it a second time. Mod, don't hit me with that stick!:eek:

" I'm broadminded" means i can't be bothered or i'm too confused to object to the idea .

Has anyone noticed when Teens are talking they say "and I was like Oh No you can't wear that and she was like Oh yes I can" - when they really mean "I SAID" and "SHE SAID". why can't they say that??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

They don't say "she was like" or "I was like" - what they say is:
    She wuzzlike and I wuzzlike!

"Cool" and "hot" are positive things to say about people or situations. "Lethal", "deadly" and "wicked" mean good.

"Yeah, right" actually means no:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

probably mentioned already but

"in relation to"

my boss says it the whole time...

makes me puke

Alice1 wrote: »
    They don't say "she was like" or "I was like" - what they say is:
    She wuzzlike and I wuzzlike!

"Cool" and "hot" are positive things to say about people or situations. "Lethal", "deadly" and "wicked" mean good.

"Yeah, right" actually means no:confused:
    yea right!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

or when people say issues..

I know a guy who says it like "isss uues" (isss sounds like hiss)

whats wrong with plain old ish uues... (probably completely incorrect but thats how I like it said!!)

• Advertisement

doughef wrote: »
    or when people say issues..

I know a guy who says it like "isss uues" (isss sounds like hiss)

whats wrong with plain old ish uues... (probably completely incorrect but thats how I like it said!!)

I expect it's because when he buys a sewt, it's really a soot! Also, if he makes an appointment on Wed-nez-day, he really means wensday! However, he may be just trying to use the exact pronunciation that he was taught in school, like wot I wuz learnt! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

stick girl wrote: »
    This is a small pet peeve: when people say 'shrimps', when speaking the plural form of shrimp. Though technically I guess it's right, I prefer to say (& hear it said).. shrimp. one shrimp, two shrimp, 100 shrimp swimming in the sea.

The same goes for euro: it cost 54 euro. I always thought the plural of euro was euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Glad to hear that Snow. I was told by a teacher that they don't correct bad grammar these days because children hear it at home. I remember my teacher distinctly saying 'that is wrong' and 'that is bad grammar, now what should you say?' etc., ensuring that I understood the rules no matter what was used at home. It used to be black and white but there is too much grey these days. :(
    Reminds me of the story of parent and child at the dinner table:
    Child: Can you pass the bu'er please?
    Parent: It's not bu'er, it's butter - now ask correctly.
    Child: Can you pass the butter, please?
    Parent: That's be'er!

odds_on wrote: »
    The same goes for euro: it cost 54 euro. I always thought the plural of euro was euros.

You would think so, but if, like me, you were around when the Euro was first introduced here we were definitely told the plural of Euro is Euro (Can't for the life of me figure out why that should be though), like two deer, and two sheep I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You would think so, but if, like me, you were around when the Euro was first introduced here we were definitely told the plural of Euro is Euro (Can't for the life of me figure out why that should be though), like two deer, and two sheep I suppose.

Back in the day the pound, who's plural was pounds, was often used a s a singular though - 'that'll be four pound fifty'.

looksee wrote: »
    Back in the day the pound, who's plural was pounds, was often used a s a singular though - 'that'll be four pound fifty'.

Ahah! And it was always a quid, but never two quids!! :D In fact my son still sometimes says 'squid' for 'quid'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Did I write that almost incomprehensible sentence? I can hardly understand it myself!

looksee wrote: »
    Did I write that almost incomprehensible sentence? I can hardly understand it myself!

S'allright, I got it ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

cheers, mate and cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Get

As in: "Can I get a chicken wrap?"

No you can't get it, you're a customer at a Deli counter. The staff get it for you.

"Can we get the bill please?"

No, the waiter will bring it to your table.

What does no one use "can I have" any more?

Advertisement