Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Eboggles wrote: »
    The macho is massive! Jaysus, that must've been horrible to install.

Yeah, its a two man job really. I sliced open my finger too cause its so sharp. Didn't find the skin that got ripped off for a week, it was in between one of the many fins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If that fits a shinobi....does that mean it'll fit an outlaw? Cause that would suweeet.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I asked for some help with a build on this thread, and here are the results. For my first ground up build, I was delighted and relieved when it switched on first time.

Major components prior to assembly:
    01.png

Arty lighting:
    02.png

SSD hidden behind the motherboard:
    03.png

Battlestation Crampostation:
    04.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Very nice...very tidy...good work
    I bet your ass gets numb after 4 hrs of gaming with that chair...Just messn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭djan

Above: how can you use a computer on such a small desk??? With your arms hanging off it and nowhere to rest, not even mentioning the lack of space for a proper mousepad. A pity for such a machine to be restrained.

i used to have smallish desk similar to yours and a big one makes such a difference !

• Advertisement

dwighet wrote: »
    Very nice...very tidy...good work
    I bet your ass gets numb after 4 hrs of gaming with that chair...Just messn :)

A fair point, it's not ideal at the moment, but I can look into a replacement in future. I just grabbed it from the kitchen table, so it really should be temporary.
    djan wrote: »
    Above: how can you use a computer on such a small desk??? With your arms hanging off it and nowhere to rest, not even mentioning the lack of space for a proper mousepad. A pity for such a machine to be restrained.

i used to have smallish desk similar to yours and a big one makes such a difference !

I know, it is a definite annoyance. Problem is though, that I'm living in a small apartment and I literally don't have space for a large desk. I put off buying a rig for ages actually, wondering what I was going to do. Calling it a "battlestation" is a bit daft actually, think I'll edit that ;)
    However, when I push the monitor to the back of the desk, and the keyboard and mouse back also, it's not too bad :) They're there in the picture mostly because I had just moved everything back after moving them for the photoshoot.

Finally, I have a wired 360 controller, so I could move things around and sit on the couch with out too much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

0522.jpg

AMD A6-3500
    Asus F1A75-I
    64GB SSD + 1 tibble hard drive
    Low profile PCI-E 1x RS-232 card :) (the board has a 16x slot)
    150W PSU :D
    Slimline DVD-RW drive from a laptop i scrapped

Full size image

Are you allowed to drill the wall? If you grabbed one of the ikea desks that are just wall mounted(+1 leg if you want extra support) then you could probably make better use of the space in that corner. They can be trimmed to length if one side is going to be hidden too with just a small jigsaw. Might be worth a look.

Very nice rig, case is a beaut. Is the vertical PCI slot in the frame for a PCI fan unit to cool the GPUs?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

Finally got my computer sorted, mainly due to the top class advice and help from you guys!

I figured I owed you all some pics!

Assorted parts;

IMG_0183.jpg

Built! Tryed my hand at a wire tuck which came out reasonably well I think considering my psu is non modular;

IMG_0184.jpg

Bit of a close up;

IMG_0186.jpg

128GB SSD :D ;

IMG_0187.jpg

CPU cooler. (This was a bit of a pain to install as the brackets didn't line up properly. The first time I booted it I was getting some pretty high CPU temps, above 70deg. I dismantled the cooler again and and through fiddling with the brackets managed to get it sitting nice and level on the CPU. I'm now getting a cool 30deg.:D Well I think that's around what it should be anyways)

IMG_0190.jpg

A couple of my setup;

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

And this is a horse;

DSCF4078.jpg
    (It was on my photobucket from ages ago!)

Delighted with the computer. Its a really nice, fast machine. The only thing that gets me a bit about it is the OS. Windows is already pissing me off with its constant updating, restarting and configuring, and thats before it is constantly asking me if I'm sure I want to do whatever I just did....:mad: oh well! It seems like its a necessary evil for the time being!

p.s.Sorry for the poor quality of the images, my main camera is out of battery and I had to use my video camera....first world problems and all that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

RE Windows:

Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change user account settings -> Never notify

The configuring and updating is only because you've only just installed it. On average you usually only get an update every week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

cedan wrote: »
    128GB SSD :D ;

Interesting placement of the SSD might change mine cause the Samsung is nice looking!

ED E wrote: »
    Are you allowed to drill the wall? If you grabbed one of the ikea desks that are just wall mounted(+1 leg if you want extra support) then you could probably make better use of the space in that corner. They can be trimmed to length if one side is going to be hidden too with just a small jigsaw. Might be worth a look.

Very nice rig, case is a beaut. Is the vertical PCI slot in the frame for a PCI fan unit to cool the GPUs?

You're asking me right? I'll definitely look into that. I had considered scrapping this desk and getting a better one, but it was actually in the apartment when I moved in, and I'd be concerned that the management agency might be pissed if it went missing, considering it (and every single other thing in the apartment) is specifically noted on the inventory. My compromise was that I've removed some of the extra panels from this crap desk, such as the keyboard tray, and a big panel at the bottom that the computer would sit up on, but which limits leg room even further.

As for the vertical PCI slot, I'm not 100% sure as it doesn't say in the manual or anywhere, but I think you could put fan controls, or extra usb connections and hook them up to the motherboard headers.

What I would love to know however, is what the hell these are for? (the bottom 3 square ones)

innercablesfan.jpg

Can someone fill me in?

What I would love to know however, is what the hell these are for? (the bottom 3 square ones)

Can someone fill me in?

They look like they're for fans anyway. 3 pin? or at least a space for a 3rd pin

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Can someone fill me in?

They look to be the headers for the cases built in fan controller. You can plug three of your fans into them and adjust the voltage of the fans. The molex below is probably to power the controller/fans.

Right ok. There is a 3 speed toggle for the fans on the case but I haven't used it before. I doesn't actually seem to do anything right now, and since these cables aren't hooked up at the moment, that's probably the reason why.

Great, thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

should definatly use them, since you paid for the feature might aswell use it, that molex plug next to it is to power the controller btw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Jaysus. I'm green with envy from all your massive tower cases. I know what's next on my upgrade list.

My lowly midi has a 7950, 3 hdds, an SSD and a giant cpu fan stuffed into it.

I do hope it doesn't overheat from bad airflow.
    I'd show pictures but my cabling is a warcrime. There's just nowhere to put anything.

should definatly use them, since you paid for the feature might aswell use it, that molex plug next to it is to power the controller btw

Absolutely, I just didn't know before now what they were supposed to connect to. Blind ignorance really. The molex is plugged in though, because I knew what connected to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

As usual a few more changes to my main rig and what I did with the left over parts :).
    I now have a 3570k and maximus iv extreme in my main rig with 32gb ram
    The FX8150, 16gb ram and the Crosshair v motherboard where used to build another esxi 5.1 server. I now have 3 of them :).

1_updated.png
    6_updated.png

You're asking me right? I'll definitely look into that. I had considered scrapping this desk and getting a better one, but it was actually in the apartment when I moved in, and I'd be concerned that the management agency might be pissed if it went missing, considering it (and every single other thing in the apartment) is specifically noted on the inventory. My compromise was that I've removed some of the extra panels from this crap desk, such as the keyboard tray, and a big panel at the bottom that the computer would sit up on, but which limits leg room even further.

As for the vertical PCI slot, I'm not 100% sure as it doesn't say in the manual or anywhere, but I think you could put fan controls, or extra usb connections and hook them up to the motherboard headers.

This is what I think its for.
    V13-4200-B.jpg

Another idea might be to clamp a new top to the current table, giving you a small bit more room without doing anything to the current one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Actually, it's usually meant for fan controllers, or USB ports or something, but it's whatever fits in it really.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Actually, it's usually meant for fan controllers, or USB ports or something, but it's whatever fits in it really.

Silly me had the notion that fan controllers actually used PCI slots, but now that I actually engage my brain they obviously dont have to. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

deceit wrote: »
    As usual a few more changes to my main rig and what I did with the left over parts :).
    I now have a 3570k and maximus iv extreme in my main rig with 32gb ram
    The FX8150, 16gb ram and the Crosshair v motherboard where used to build another esxi 5.1 server. I now have 3 of them :).

1_updated.png
    6_updated.png

I clicked the play button but nothing happened :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Don't be jealous :D

RkeQJl.jpg

8Xg91l.jpg

whats the yoke on the right with 1 cable going into the front? an amp?

which keyboard is it and is it and is it any good?

Brian is a bit of an audiophile iirc, got the proper kit to power his cans(assume the amp is taking a digital line from his PC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭bren50c

he's also mounted an lcd on his dishwasher which is a great use of space:D

ED E wrote: »
    Brian is a bit of an audiophile iirc, got the proper kit to power his cans(assume the amp is taking a digital line from his PC).

and he's damn right for doing so. I think its funny in a way how 20-40 years ago people had proper speakers, amps, turn table and what have you. Now technology has moved on so much but what people have for playing sound is far worse. A few small tinny active speakers from creative labs made in Choina and if you're lucky a pair of Dr. Dre beats if they're lucky is all a lot of people have to their name.

have an alesis ra150 and a pair of wharfedales from the 60's on another comp, i'll post pics of that later. i'm no audiophile by any means though, only an amateur :/

eth0 wrote: »
    and he's damn right for doing so. I think its funny in a way how 20-40 years ago people had proper speakers, amps, turn table and what have you. Now technology has moved on so much but what people have for playing sound is far worse. A few small tinny active speakers from creative labs made in Choina and if you're lucky a pair of Dr. Dre beats if they're lucky is all a lot of people have to their name.

have an alesis ra150 and a pair of wharfedales from the 60's on another comp, i'll post pics of that later. i'm no audiophile by any means though, only an amateur :/

Oh I agree. Problem is average joe today cant/doesnt hear or care for the difference.

Dont get me started on Beats, or people paying 300E for turtlebeach cr@p.

I'm running a discrete little Sony hifi built into my shelves and Beyerdynamic DT990Pro's when I need to make less noise/have privacy. Also decided to play TF2 on my 350W 15" PA cabs one time :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I've got a pair of sennheiser hd25-1 IIs, running out of some asus xonar card. We're not too bad on the aul audio round here.

Advertisement