Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double check build request. Gaming ~€1300

Options
  • 15-10-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

There seems to be a whole lot of these appearing over the last few days, but it would be great if you could spend a few minutes double checking this for me. And apologies for the wall of text.

I've been promising myself a new build for absolutely ages, and now I have some cash that I can put towards one. I've never done this before though, so figured it would be wise to post the proposed build here before committing. Thanks!

1. What is your budget? Aiming for around €1300 but could go as far as €1500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming primarily, latest and greatest. I'll probably do some dev work and image processing but nothing more strenuous.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Well, I have a legit copy of W7 Ultimate which I'm using on my laptop at the moment, I figured I'd retire the laptop and use the OS on the new machine. It's not an OEM version or anything. This should be OK right?

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Not really. I have a decent mouse I'll carry over, but that's it.

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes. I'd love a Catleap but I don't think I have enough space really. Relatively small apartment. I think the Dell Ultrasharp is maybe a better fit? (Is HWVS the best place to get something like this? Amazon?). Actually, I'm having a lot of trouble deciding against the catleap..

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Say, 23" or 24"? Is there a difference other than one obviously being slightly larger? Should I just go for the catleap?

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] NA

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] I'll need a keyboard (not from HWVS I know), speakers at some point but I can skip them for now, and I'll take a card reader.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes.. but not immediately

8. How can you pay? Any

9. When are you purchasing? This week or next hopefully, but, I could wait if something like an amazing new GPU was about to drop

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I should be fine by myself.

Here's my sample build, with the keyboard missing. Basically I need it double checked to make sure I haven't left out anything stupid, or have conflicting parts. PSU powerfull enough? Case size ok, ventilation ok? Do I need thermal gel? Do I need an extra cooler?
    I would like this thing to be able to hold it's own for a good while before needing major upgrades, so should I be going for a better GPU now etc? I really don't know how to chose between the vendors so I could definitely use advice there. I'd like to stick with nvidia if for no other reason than I've been using them all my life.

Thanks a lot guys!

Item|Price
    Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz|€9.87
    be quiet! Pure Power 530 Watt / BQT L7|€57.27
    EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW, 2048MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€366.32
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€27.42
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz|€17.47
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€208.05
    FRACTAL DESIGN Define R4 Black Pearl|€105.03
    ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP, Sockel 1155, ATX|€79.79
    WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s|€94.49
    Samsung SSD 830 256GB SATA III Paper Box|€156.44