Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Men Apocalypse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Unsuprisingly Singer has pretty much confirmed that Apocalypse will mark a new beginning for the X-Men-verse and the younger group will spearhead things. I really like how they have rebooted things here rather than binning what was they embraced it and continued on a different route.

So, it's a reboot?

Kind of annoying given that some of the cast have appeared in the previous films. Given Jackman is hanging up the claws, and Lawrence is also going does that mean the end of DOFP with Mystique-Stryker is going to be left as some weird unfinished plot. I try to ignore it but the continuity and inconcisencies in this series does bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

FunLover18 wrote: »
    So, it's a reboot?

Kind of annoying given that some of the cast have appeared in the previous films. Given Jackman is hanging up the claws, and Lawrence is also going does that mean the end of DOFP with Mystique-Stryker is going to be left as some weird unfinished plot. I try to ignore it but the continuity and inconcisencies in this series does bother me.

It's not a reboot. DOFP was the "reboot". This is the first of the new rebooted timeline that will depart from the original timeline/cast completely. That's my take on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

So, it's a reboot?

Nope its not a reboot or at least not in the same way as Fantastic 4 where you just bin whatever you saw on screen before and start at zero. (like the many Spiderman reboots and now Marvel are rebooting again)

The first 3 movies were the first trilogy of films. First Class was the origin story of Charles, Raven, Hank & Erik. This was the origin story of the same 4 characters we saw as adults later in that first trilogy. Those four movies are all part of the one timeline (along with the Wolverine movies).

But what DoFP did was it set out a new path and a new future. The events we saw in the first trilogy will not occur again as the timeline has been altered thanks to Logan. This is how for example they can completely remake Deadpool, Deadpool had a horrible backstory in Origins:Wolverine but thanks to the revised timeline he can have a completely different origin story hes not tied to what was saw in Wolverine Origins. Similarly Angel (Ben Hardy) appears to be born much earlier in this revised timeline than he was in the original timeline. Thats what I liked about combining the cast of each trilogy in DoFP it embraced and acknowledged what had happened to Shadowcat, Iceman, Storm, Ink, Wolverine, Magneto while also creating a new future (for the Lawrence, McAvoy, Fassbender) where they (Fox) can kick on and expand the franchise without being tied to the first trilogys continuity, for example the original timeline had no mention at all of Quicksilver as an X-Man or even his existence but since Wolverine went back in time and changed the events Charles is now well aware of Peter and can call on him again in this revised timeline.

Everything that happened did still happen so its not a conventional reboot at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

kUVIRCe.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Is that official? I'm surprised by how much they stuck to the source material.

• Advertisement

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Is that official? I'm surprised by how much they stuck to the source material.

Yeah they are been handed out at comic con and a few sites have reported about it.

still taken from teaser clip shown at X-Men SDCC Panel
    r8SIMny.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

still taken from teaser clip shown at X-Men SDCC Panel
    r8SIMny.jpg

Low quality vid of it. Probably gonna get taken down:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Looks like Ivan Ooze from the Power Rangers movie lol

Guess Storm will definitely be a Horseman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Guess Storm will definitely be a Horseman.

Horsemen were confirmed at Comic Con as spoiler just encase
    Storm Angel Magneto and Psylocke

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Horsemen were confirmed at Comic Con as spoiler just encase
    Storm Angel Magneto and Psylocke

Well then I need to find comic con vids haha. The third one suprises me but the others were expected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Dogowner55

Well then I need to find comic con vids haha. The third one suprises me but the others were expected.

Makes sense with magento's survival of the fittest

Dogowner55 wrote: »
    Makes sense with magento's survival of the fittest

I was kinda thinking since his DoFP speech he would form the first Brotherhood of mutants with Toad, Ink, Havok and maybe Mystique.

Come and see while you can

Great to see Quicksilver is back for this. Looks great (the movie, not the cam quality ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Come and see while you can

355153.jpg

There's definitely going to be backlash over Psylocke's costume.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well at the risk of being knee-jerk, it does look like a good reason why comic costumes probably don't translate too well into the 'real' world of live-action film. It and Storm's cape look a bit daft - but then this film is set in the 80s :D

• Advertisement

**** I never thought of that. God thats gunna be utterly ridiculous.

pixelburp wrote:
    Well at the risk of being knee-jerk, it does look like a good reason why comic costumes probably don't translate too well into the 'real' world of live-action film. It and Storm's cape look a bit daft - but then this film is set in the 80s

I don't the 80s argument will work, it's not like it's an period piece that has to be historically accurate. I'm not going to get on my high horse about this though because although it is needlessly skimpy (not to mention impractical), Olivia Munn is hot.

92d46338eaff46317686ce3d21dc9109.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't the 80s argument will work, it's not like it's an period piece that has to be historically accurate. I'm not going to get on my high horse about this though because although it is needlessly skimpy (not to mention impractical), Olivia Munn is hot.

I don't think you need any kind of high horse though, the costume looks bloody ludicrous - like 90% of superhero costumes really.

Superman, Spiderman, maybe Batman too gets a pass but by and large I don't think it's a coincidence most costumes get changed for film adaptations imo. I've often preferred the more subdued designs anyway, costumes that look practical but still epic; I really can't stand the more OTT / colourful / skimpy designs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Disappointed with the look of Apocalypse, I always found his to be one of the more memorable and class designs in any comic book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Disappointed with the look of Apocalypse, I always found his to be one of the more memorable and class designs in any comic book.

Looks like a Power Rangers villain reject

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I think they all look great, but that's just me .

Edit - I didn't scroll up, the on set one looks a bit naff alright(shades of Ivan Ooze) but I'm sure it will look better on film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Apocalypse should look physically imposing and intimidating, but I just don't get that vibe from that photo.

Overall it's certainly moving in a different step with the costumes. It looks more like the comic costumes, but compared to the previous movies is a bit of a step back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Anyone else think magneto borrowed antmans costume for this minus the helmet

• Advertisement

He looks a bit like the WishMaster to me. It's quite a generic look for such a huge villain.

wishmaster.jpg

Ah well, it's all in the performance. Hopefully, he makes for a formidable foe.
    Anyone else think magneto borrowed antmans costume for this minus the helmet

Magneto looks well I think.

Advertisement