Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

quinrea01 wrote: »
    All that people are really doing is perpetuating the drink mindset and although most would deny it, even to themselves, there will come a time when they resent the lack of 'kick' in the stuff and break out again.

Thanks for the judgement but I actually experience the opposite. I drink the N/A and am extremely grateful that there's none of the kick in it and I can still enjoy a beer without the horrors of before.
    I wish you well and I wish me well too, as I do for all of us who seek a better life, free from slavery.

No you don't, you're telling me I'm going to break out again...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Taok wrote: »
    I drink the N/A and am extremely grateful that there's none of the kick in it and I can still enjoy a beer

This is my experience with it, so I'm happy out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinrea01

Taok wrote: »
    Thanks for the judgement but I actually experience the opposite. I drink the N/A and am extremely grateful that there's none of the kick in it and I can still enjoy a beer without the horrors of before.

No you don't, you're telling me I'm going to break out again...
    No I'm not.....you're telling YOURSELF you're going to break out again. And by the way, I'm not judging ANYONE, so don't judge ME.

No I'm not.....you're telling YOURSELF you're going to break out again. And by the way, I'm not judging ANYONE, so don't judge ME.

WTF??? How am I telling myself I'm going to break out again???

Here are your words:
    All that people are really doing is perpetuating the drink mindset and although most would deny it, even to themselves, there will come a time when they resent the lack of 'kick' in the stuff and break out again.

As someone who has spoken on the previous page about enjoying a non-alcoholic beer, you are clearly judging me here. You're saying that I'm perpetuating the drink mindset and that there will come a time when I'll 'break out'.

I'm not saying I'll break out, I'm saying I have enough willpower to go to a pub and have an N/A beer, or if no N/A available pints of water will do just fine.

I'm clearly not judging you, I'm quoting you. Your words speak for themselves (and by using words like 'denial', 'resentment' and the 'end up with a haircut' quote, it's very obvious where they're coming from).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I enjoy reading the posts by people who have stopped drinking alcohol, be it a few days, few years or few decades. I think it brings hope to other people whereever they are on their sober journey and it is great to see the difference not drinking has made in people's lives. However I am sad to see the thread being thrown off track by arguments about non alcoholic beerfrown.png

• Advertisement

lindtee wrote: »
    I enjoy reading the posts by people who have stopped drinking alcohol, be it a few days, few years or few decades. I think it brings hope to other people whereever they are on their sober journey and it is great to see the difference not drinking has made in people's lives. However I am sad to see the thread being thrown off track by arguments about non alcoholic beerfrown.png

Yes agreed, enough about that and back to some positivity :)

Yeah could people not take their own stuff to PMs? This thread is about support not about having a go at each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Guy please cut out the hostility and advocating specific recovery methods. Go back to general positivity and the likes.

Thanks.

Positivity resumes....... NOW!

Right so, lets press the re-set button and get back on track. As posters have suggested, all this animosity is muddying the waters and we've more important stuff to do. Apologies to anyone I may have offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Some positive news, I am now 4 years 6 months and 16 days alcohol free and lovin every bit of it.

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    Some positive news, I am now 4 years 6 months and 16 days alcohol free and lovin every bit of it.

Great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

501 Days, been a long journey!!!!!

JonBon27 wrote: »
    501 Days, been a long journey!!!!!
    Well done to yourself and realies and indeed all of our other successful friends. Isn't it great to get up in the morning and look the world in the eye. Could we ever go back to those days of guilt-ridden misery, waking up feeling sick, remorseful and not a penny in our pockets, not to mention suffering family resentment and conflict. Live in the day, lads, and don't look back. And don't dwell too much on the past. Learn lessons from the past but don't live in it. As they say, 'yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is all we have'......it's a well-worn cliche, I know, but still a great adage to live by.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Well done, Realies, and all of us here have really benefited from your sobriety, the wisdom it has brought you and which you have shared with us to help us along the way. Thank you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

My partner over 50 days off it now got in a bad patch but turned his life around so proud of him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

Nearly 7 months :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

the aul lad is 28 years off it.

Fair play to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

use are all doin great,

now how bout a glass of whiskey to celebrate?

go on

ya no ya want to :)

how about a slap?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056997329

Very intresting thread here for those who are intrested,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056997329

Very intresting thread here for those who are intrested,

I seen it the other day but the arrogance of some posters that know sweet **** all about alcoholism stopped me getting involved. I'd just lose the plot, no point arguing with people who they simply don't understand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

to be honest, I think there are some very ignorant and dangerous comments in that thread, especially for people trying to give it up

to be honest, I think there are some very ignorant and dangerous comments in that thread, especially for people trying to give it up

Yes there are, a lot of egos in there that's for sure. No point getting involved it will annoy us more then them. Who needs that? I was half tempted to make a long post about how my recovery has gone and how far I'd come but I just know if I did that I'd be locked in to discussion with people that aren't open to changing their opinion. No humility = no progress , a lot of people in Ireland suffer from this especially our bloody politicians!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Remember that thread is in After Hours - home of the bored, stoned, stupid and simply mad. Sometimes all four at once. Rarely has anything serious started there and nothing serious ever ended there. And thats from a frequent AH poster.

Remember that thread is in After Hours - home of the bored, stoned, stupid and simply mad. Sometimes all four at once. Rarely has anything serious started there and nothing serious ever ended there. And thats from a frequent AH poster.

Wouldent agree with that at all, and imo that thread was very informative from both sides with the usual snide remarks thrown in from some posters.Anyway that's just my opinion and I will leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

A week. Already lost 5 lbs so far this week. Off it till my 30th in August, then off it for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Day shy of 3 weeks. Pretty heavy drinker here, first 2 weeks weren't great but feeling much better now and more money in the pocket. Plan is to keep off it for good!

Quit for 6 months last year and never felt better, really regret going back to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

Back off it again since last weekend... Just reaffirmed my alcohol is bad news for me policy - a glass of wine or beer here or there in the sun and suddenly other more important things and commitments in my life seemed to start to slide. Felt like being on a slope that was beginning to feel a bit slippery so sin é.

There's better things to be doing with my time :-)

Well done everyone, Keep fighting the fight.

Signed up for the Dublin marathon yesterday, doing it for DEBRA Ireland. Wouldn't do or wouldn't be able to do something like that in a million years drinking. I was 17 and a half stone in October 2011 and my stomach was ****ed. Also been in the first healthy non toxic relationship I've had in years the last few months & going great. Sobriety has so much to offer you just need to keep fighting the tough fight the first few months. When I do the marathon in October I'll be 2 years sober and that should happen once I keep doing what I am doing.

• Advertisement

Signed up for the Dublin marathon yesterday, doing it for DEBRA Ireland. Wouldn't do or wouldn't be able to do something like that in a million years drinking. I was 17 and a half stone in October 2011 and my stomach was ****ed. Also been in the first healthy non toxic relationship I've had in years the last few months & going great. Sobriety has so much to offer you just need to keep fighting the tough fight the first few months. When I do the marathon in October I'll be 2 years sober and that should happen once I keep doing what I am doing.

Great work KaG, WELL DONE.:)

Advertisement