Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wednesday, April 16th, 2014

Sneaky lunchtime yoga. Funny, the yoga session I've been doing routinely at lunch is called "Injury Prevention". The irony. Foam rolled after yoga.

Run plan: 3 miles recovery

:eek::eek::eek:

Panic. :eek: I awoke to orders in my mailbox suggesting that I do 3 miles at a pace somewhere around 10 min/mile. Panic. :eek: But, but, but....I'm injured. :eek: Okay...well, if the man with the plan thinks it's time to test the waters, then the waters shall be tested. Honestly though, the thought of attempting to run scared me....for many reasons....and in the back of my mind I had secretly accepted the possibility that my next run would be in Boston, and this idea of lacing up my running shoes tonight was a bit daunting.

I decided I'd do a "Pre-Run" yoga session first (I think in part I was procastinating), then I headed out the door and into the field to do this as, well....let's just say I gave new meaning to slow and easy. :o

Here's the quick and dirty on how the run went....
    Lap 1 - slow, slow, s-l-o-w.....limping...no form....forgotten how to run :eek:...feeling totally screwed.
    Lap 2 - convinced myself I just needed to relax and I'd be grand...."Oryx, fetch me the Jaegermeister!"
    Lap 3 - Full. Blown. Pity. Party. :(
    Lap 4 - as my world got a little better (less limping, more comfortable, sensation shifted to not-so-bad-soreness), I wondered if my running trotting jogging shuffling for these 3 miles was actually part of a healing therapy plan I was unaware of. :confused:
    Lap 5 - got comfortable enough that I could have opened it up a bit, but stayed at my leisurely handicapped-parking-permit-worthy pace.

Wow. But I did it. And maybe I needed to do this from a psychological standpoint before Boston. The real test will be tomorrow morning when I wake up and see how my leg feels. And in every effort to mind the injury and the body, I followed up these 3 miles with yet another yoga session - "Post-Run"....then some more foam rolling for good measure.

Actual: 3.5 mile shuffle, yoga x 3, foam rolling x 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Lap 1 - slow, slow, s-l-o-w.....limping...no form....forgotten how to run :eek:...feeling totally screwed.
    Lap 2 - convinced myself I just needed to relax and I'd be grand...."Oryx, fetch me the Jaegermeister!"
    Lap 3 - Full. Blown. Pity. Party. :(

Once you are used to training daily, I think this is pretty much a standard reaction on a first run after a break. In fact it's not unknown to feel pretty sluggish during taper too. Once you knock a little rust off the rhythm returns quickly. Trust the training.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Trust the coach, too. :)

That damn ecoli knows his sh*t.

:)

Last night's run was therapeutic and healing in more ways than one - the leg feels much better, and the confidence is coming back. And those were last night's objectives, told to me after the fact. I. Love. That. Man. ;):D

Thursday, April 17th, 2014

Sneaky lunchtime yoga....it's starting to be my usual fare. :) And I'm getting better and more precise at it....and precision really is what it's all about.

Swim

After the miracle of last night's run, I was told to hit the pool this evening. He says "jump", I say "how high?" ;) So I swam. In the fish tank. My pool was only 70 degrees - surely that's not tea brewing temperature!?

Just one wave cycle that felt amazing. I was totally relaxed, and nearly floated away with happy thoughts of Boston. Funny what a difference a day makes. :)

Actual swim: one wave cycle in the tank, aka ~1,500 meters

Leg/thigh/injury update....the leg continued to be much improved throughout the day, and after the swim and hot tub soak this evening, it feels even better. I can still elicit some soreness with certain movements, but nothing compared to what it was. Happy days! However, one thing I noticed is I am still limping even though I don't really think I need to be liming anymore. I guess I've been limping for so long it seems natural. I'll work on that.

• Advertisement

... still limping even though I don't really think I need to be liming anymore. I guess I've been limping for so long it seems natural. I'll work on that.

Ahhh... just slap on an eyepatch. get a parrot and you'll be grand :)

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Ahhh... just slap on an eyepatch. get a parrot and you'll be grand :)

Can I just borrow your owl? ;)

Can I just borrow your owl? ;)

Would you consider a goose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck in Boston. Enjoy it! :cool:

Time for some motivational pictures.
    running_motivational_03.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Good luck on Monday...I'm sure ull be the belle of the ball:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Good luck on Monday...I'm sure ull be the belle of the ball:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Tough luck with the injury - but it sounds like you have it all in hand. :cool:

Best of luck Monday.
    Enjoy.

Friday, April 18th, 2014

Swim

I was told to swim today, so swim I did....and because I needed to dedicate tonight to packing (since I had not done a stitch of that yet :o), I did this sneaky lunchtime style in the tank. Just one wave cycle....and I had to get back to work so I didn't have time to hop in the hot tub.

My friend is having some work done on his very mountainous yard - specifically, he calls it his anti-vole project :eek: - so I had to stop and chat with the very "local" fellow who was running the bobcat on my way out. I didn't want details of the project, but it doesn't sound good for all those little furry creatures who like to feast on the bulbous plants that bloom in my friend's garden. However, voles are persistent little critters, so we'll see who has the last laugh when it's all said and done. :D I will keep you posted!!

I had intended on doing some yoga tonight, but packing and last minute details have taken care of that. No time. And I need sleep. I'll try and get up super early tomorrow morning to get my little run in that is on the plan for tomorrow before I leave to catch my plane. I may have to do it on the treadmill, but hopefully I'll be allowed (hello ecoli :)) to get a little trot in around Boston Commons Sunday morning to ensure the legs want to go on a real surface.

Actual swim: ~1,500 meters in the fish tank

Saturday April 19th, 2014

Run plan: 3 miles, done as 2 easy and 1 at MP

Okay....so I'm catching a plane today, and that meant if I wanted to get this done before I left (because I seriously doubt I will do it after I get into Boston this afternoon), then I would have to get up super early before the sun was even thinking about making its appearance for the day. Alarm buzzes at ridiculous o'clock, and I am up and on the yoga mat with two very sleepy and confused kitties. In my constant quest to totally eradicate my annoying injury, I wanted to do my "Pre-Run Yoga" session before I hit the treadmill. Check.

Then to the treadmill. Ugh. :( Not my finest of sessions as the injury is clinging to the last thread, hanging on for dear life, not wanting to totally let go. We're nearly there...but just not quite. I did the first mile at a slow 10 min/mile pace, the second mile at a shockingly exhausting :eek: 7:30 min/mile pace, then back down to 10 min/mile for the last mile. The leg/thigh definitely was more comfortable and I was more relaxed on mile 3, but this session didn't instill any Kenyan confidence in me. History has proven that I am not an early (before the sun comes up) morning runner, so fingers crossed that this is at least part of the reason for such a poor feeling performance on the treadie.

And then it was back to the yoga mat for "Post-Run Yoga" with two very hungry and demanding kitties weaving between my legs, letting it be known that they were awaiting their morning breakfast (their second morning breakfast, mind you!).

I'm at the airport now....will load the plane in 45 mins or so, then arrive in Boston around 1:30. Whoop whoop. I'm to meet up with some jogging forum royalty after I touch down, the likes of which include meno, and hit the expo and do a little exploring. This should be an interesting few days.

Actual run: 3 miles, done on treadie as described above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I'm to meet up with some jogging forum royalty after I touch down, the likes of which include meno, and hit the expo and do a little exploring. This should be an interesting few days.

Best of luck. Make sure to give Meno's finishers medal to the barman post-race, he's no interest in those trinkets;)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Best of luck. Make sure to give Meno's finishers medal to the barman post-race, he's no interest in those trinkets;)

As evidenced in London. ;)

I think the flight attendant is requesting you turn off your phone now...

Bon voyage!

Sunday, April 20th, 2014

Run plan: a little jog

I was up early this morning after getting a pretty good night's sleep - 8 hours. Out the hotel door I went before 7 to be greeted by a slew of other runners who had the same idea as I did. A bit brisk this morning so I had my Capitals hockey hoodie on (and yes, a Boston police officer couldn't resist making a smart remark about it ;)), but it was sunny so it was quite delightful actually.

I ran around the Public Gardens in Boston Commons, then down Boylston Street to the finish line, stopping along the way to snap various photos of assorted things. I went slow, but I'm just not feeling comfortable to be honest. The injury is still nagging, and I feel my energy level is way off. My approach for tomorrow is to follow ecoli's plan, but if at any point I feel I am doing harm to my body (Eagleman is only 7 weeks away!), then I will back off and go at a more comfortable pace/trot/crawl with the only goal being to cross the finish line with a smile on my face. It is my nature to be prepared for my events, or at least have an idea of my ability and possible finish time, but tomorrow is a real wild card for me. I honestly won't know until I'm out there doing it.

I'm meeting meno and friends for the pasta dinner at 4:30, then it's an early night to bed. I guess I'll see you folks on the other side! TTFN....

Actual: 2 miles at ~9:30 min/mile pace

Can't wait to hear how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good luck DD, looking forward to an account of a bucket list event but even more so, your account :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

Beat of luck DD, and take care of that injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

All the best, Dory!

Good luck tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Good luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck, will be following later

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Just keep swimming running!

Bib no is 11978, tracking available here.

Hope you keep it nice and slow and enjoyable Dory.

• Advertisement

Splits for first 3 5k's: 23:45, 24:34, 26:21. I doubt anyone actually really believed she was going to start at anything but race pace, but slowing down now will hopefully mean she can run the race for pleasure.

Advertisement