Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Lollipop 5.1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just got a notification to update on my Nexus 5. Is it really worth the effort to update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Just got a notification to update on my Nexus 5. Is it really worth the effort to update?

What effort, takes a few minutes. Why would you not update, the update is bug fixes and optimisations.

What effort, takes a few minutes. Why would you not update, the update is bug fixes and optimisations.

I hate the new lollypop update, I'd go back to KitKat if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

I hate the new lollypop update, I'd go back to KitKat if I could.

What do you not like? Apart from it being a bit buggy I think its better. Still waiting on 5.1 though, hopefully sorts out the bugs

Its so buggy. Way too buggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

There is a way to get KitKat back apparently if you wanted to do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I don't mind Lollipop. I like the GUI it looks well and works nice. Some bugs putting nothing to put me off and wanting to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

TallGlass wrote: »
    I don't mind Lollipop. I like the GUI it looks well and works nice. Some bugs putting nothing to put me off and wanting to go back.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Hopefully this update clears up any dodgyness, I just upgraded mine, I made sure and factory reset after the initial update went through, backed up my hangouts with SMS backup and restore so should be fairly painless... :)

I updated, the Keyboard problem I was having is gone and apps don't force close as much. They are my first thoughts.

• Advertisement

I updated, the Keyboard problem I was having is gone and apps don't force close as much. They are my first thoughts.

The keyboard problem was the memory leak afaik, should be severely lessened with the update, but not gone completely - if it comes up again just power on and off and it sorts it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Updated to 5.1?

5.0.1. Phone is almost unusable. Just freezes randomly and everything is sluggish. Have to take the battery out to reboot. Seriously seriously pissed off and will put me off buying another Samsung after this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Weird, I updated someone's Samsung S4 (GT-I9505 model) to 5.0.1 using Vodaphone's image via Odin and it seems fine.
    Naturally i did a factory reset afterwards, and cleared the cache, but no problems were reported on their S4 since. I plan on rooting their device over the weekend, so i will take another look at their device's performance then (interested to know how your devices performance was before factory reset compared to after)
    But let's not hijack this thread on 5.1...

I'll probably have to go down this route. Used to enjoy jailbreaking and rooting but so lazy these days just want things to work off the shelf

*edit* Sorry guys didn't realise this was a thread on 5.1 A mod can delete my posts if they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Recently did the 5.1 update on my Nexus after suffering from severe battery issues since updating to the developer preview a few months back and then to the stock version.

Battery life has improved dramatically, far more responsive overall and just runs better.

Well worth the update imo

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Seems to have improved my phone a bit as well, but my missus had a problem with hers. When installing the update it said 'error' with the green android on his side. When we restarted the phone it seemed to be acting normally but it turns out there is no sound now either from ring tones or apps. We did a factory reset but it didn't fix it. We'll have to root it I guess.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Recently did the 5.1 update on my Nexus after suffering from severe battery issues since updating to the developer preview a few months back and then to the stock version.

Battery life has improved dramatically, far more responsive overall and just runs better.

Well worth the update imo

My battery life seems to have improved a lot since the update and reset after - I'm shocked, getting about 18 hours with reasonable usage...

Time will tell if it continues... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Having some issues with my HTC One. Battery drain is fierce and the phone just wont charge. Runs hot the whole time, whether on charge or not.I have it on mains since this morning and its gone from 22% to 27%.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Having some issues with my HTC One. Battery drain is fierce and the phone just wont charge. Runs hot the whole time, whether on charge or not.I have it on mains since this morning and its gone from 22% to 27%.

Is the HTC One on 5.1 yet?

Didn't think it was...

or are you running a custom Rom?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Fieldog wrote: »
    Is the HTC One on 5.1 yet?

Didn't think it was...

or are you running a custom Rom?

Still on 5.0. Stock rom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

keano_afc wrote: »
    Still on 5.0. Stock rom.

5.0 chat here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057308277

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

LTE-Equipped Nexus 7 2013 (Razorg) Finally Gets The Android 5.1 Update

No factory image available at the time of this post!
    Factory images now available for both wifi and mobile!

OTA zip file in the above link, if your rooted it won't update.
    Tip: Get the LRX22C image and flash the boot and system images and sideloading with TWRP.

It might be a good idea to update asap and get your device off 5.0.2 because of #Nexus7Bricked

Surprised the mobile version gets an update before the wifi version and also before the Nexus 9! As there is a rumored 5.1.1 maybe that will be next update for the N9!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭Varik

corkie wrote: »

Have the non-3G model and 5.1 is unusable, runs so badly for most people including me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Only received this for N10 so far. Still waiting on N4, N9 and N7 (2013) OTA updates. Seems to be slower than normal in deploying.

Factory image 5.1.0 (LMY47O) for Nexus 7 (2013 wifi & mobile) now available!

It might be a good idea to update asap and get your device off 5.0.2 because of #Nexus7Bricked

Edit: Nexus 4 5.1.0 (LMY47O) is also available!

OTA zip file links are also available here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Factory image 5.1.0 (LMY47O) for Nexus 7 (2013 wifi & mobile) now available!

Updated by dirty flashing the factory image and keeping my data. No major problems to report so far.

The improvement isn't as obvious as it was last month when the 2012 version got the 5.1 probably coz the 2012 was really crap on 5.0.

I'm especially hoping that things like the constant server errors when trying to update apps from the Play Store are now gone, but haven't had any of my apps receive an update to test this yet. This was really headwrecking on my 7 2013 with 5.0.

(Surely the 5.1 update for Nexus 9 can't be too much longer now?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭brevity

After a few hicups 5.0.2 is absolutely flying on my Sony z3...very impressed so far.

The notifications will take a bit of getting used to but everything else seems great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

OTA zip file links are also available here

Threw the OTA onto my N7 (2013) last night, all went smoothly for anyone who's considering it. You don't need to have it rooted or anything.

Hopefully will behave itself as I've a flight tomorrow so am hoping to catch up on some tv shows along the way.

opus wrote: »
    You don't need to have it rooted or anything.

If your already rooted the OTA procedure won't work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

opus wrote: »
    Threw the OTA onto my N7 (2013) last night, all went smoothly for anyone who's considering it. You don't need to have it rooted or anything.

Hopefully will behave itself as I've a flight tomorrow so am hoping to catch up on some tv shows along the way.

I did likewise as i fly on Saturday.
    I assume you also use earphones in your tablet on the aeroplane.
    What media app do you use - because with BS Player Free or VLC, the volume will only go up so far on headphones. Do i need to root my Nexus to allow higher volume on headphones?

Advertisement