Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre up 24 hrs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As a sidenote Eircom Phonewatch now = Sector Alarm Phonewatch and they're moving to a GSM only solution.

And even more importantly, eircom are killing the fixed SMS service like next month(?) so any eircom customers alarms wont be able to send texts. AFAIK it doesnt effect Vodafone or Sky.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Vodafone & Sky land lines use Eircom lines . AFAIK the text service will be removed from them also.
    Most alarm systems we do now are IP based anyway.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Vodafone & Sky land lines use Eircom lines . AFAIK the text service will be removed from them also.
    Most alarm systems we do now are IP based anyway.

It depends if the feature is being turned off on the PSTN service units themselves, or eircom Retail are just shutting down their messaging server for fixed line accounts. Unless vodafone & sky have written to their users too its safe to assume its the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

ED E wrote: »
    It depends if the feature is being turned off on the PSTN service units themselves, or eircom Retail are just shutting down their messaging server for fixed line accounts. Unless vodafone & sky have written to their users too its safe to assume its the latter.

30th June is the date they are meant to be turning it off. I'd be very surprised if it will affect just Eircom customers. Do they not all use the same messaging centres for fixed line SMS?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

30th June is the date they are meant to be turning it off. I'd be very surprised if it will affect just Eircom customers. Do they not all use the same messaging centres for fixed line SMS?

They were all the one message centre number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Few things to point out here.

Firstly, a higher signalling rate will inevitably, under the same levels of stress, produce higher error counts. Suppose a 1% corruption rate, on a link that sends 1000 datagrams a second vs a link that sends 100 datagrams a second you will see a 10x error counter for the same uptime. One is no worse than the other, just the figures will be higher. To that end, if you see 1k FEC on a 1Mb ADSL link with 5 mins uptime, you might be concerned, but on a 90Mb VDSL link its likely not a problem.

Next up, from memory, the 658c targets 9dB, while the F1000 targets 10dB. Looks like a small difference, but as you know its logarithmic, so a 10dB signal is ~130% the strenght of a 9dB one (simplification, but lets roll with it). Significant enough when lines are by default set to the prequal and allowed to rate adapt. Eircom are now using a 659b I hear, but no idea what the FW on that targets.

Lastly the PTM link(where FEC and CRC corrections are done) is only between CPE and DSLAM*, after that its IPoE traffic(or possibly L2TP tunnels) so nothing vodafone or any other operator did from their traffic handoff point would impact those figures.

*EDIT: Might actually be the aggregation node, but same applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's also completely outdated advising people to loop a three pair phone cable from room to room instead of at least cat5e all returning to a central location which should be the standard guideline.
    There are no direct comparisons that I could find between a 3-pair UTP cable (like the CW1308 spec) and Cat5e cable peformance but the difference over e.g. 10 metres from ETP to NTP is going to be small. Also extension sockets, when used with a filtered NTP, can use regular twisted pair just fine as they will never be used for xDSL to a modem. Cat5e being laid allows for ethernet connections alongside it, but rather than sacrificing gigabit speeds and having to rip open the sheathing to bring one pair to one socket and another two pairs to the other socket, surely cheap CW1308 or even alarm wire could easily be run alongside Cat5 at little extra cost?

Most importantly, although it's great there being filters which attenuate in-band noise in those NTUs, they don't magically stop it all. And a star configuration from a master socket will still result in several bridge taps located right beside the modem, albeit all attenuated at maybe 25dB when off-hook. But the "bridge tap" extensions will still have an additive effect and quite possibly be of a similar length in a star configuration which further worsens the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

There are no direct comparisons that I could find between a 3-pair UTP cable (like the CW1308 spec) and Cat5e cable peformance but the difference over e.g. 10 metres from ETP to NTP is going to be small. Also extension sockets, when used with a filtered NTP, can use regular twisted pair just fine as they will never be used for xDSL to a modem. Cat5e being laid allows for ethernet connections alongside it, but rather than sacrificing gigabit speeds and having to rip open the sheathing to bring one pair to one socket and another two pairs to the other socket, surely cheap CW1308 or even alarm wire could easily be run alongside Cat5 at little extra cost?

Most importantly, although it's great there being filters which attenuate in-band noise in those NTUs, they don't magically stop it all. And a star configuration from a master socket will still result in several bridge taps located right beside the modem, albeit all attenuated at maybe 25dB when off-hook. But the "bridge tap" extensions will still have an additive effect and quite possibly be of a similar length in a star configuration which further worsens the problem.

You're missing my point is we should be putting some thought into cabling our houses with at least gigabit Ethernet in mind, the guidelines only consider phone and are outdated. I see customers jaws drop when I tell them the cabling installed in their houses is of little use for broadband beyond the first socket it loops to but their electrician says they followed the guidelines and used the better cat5e cable.

yuloni wrote: »
    I must say, this is a common observation I've made on a large number of Vodafone DSL connections. In my example, all are short lines (<500m to 2.5KM), all holding a perfect sync, all with a good, steady SNR margin but all showing CRC errors and very high FEC counts. All these connections use the Vodafone issued Huawei HG658c gateway running the VF firmware

I've chased Vodafone in almost all of these instances and while some lines were tested and found that yes, there is a line fault (obvious from poor browsing performance), the majority of the lines are coming back OK, browsing performance is OK just there is a lot of error correction happening

I know from reading around that most will tell you not to worry about high FEC, only high CRC. Also, I think it might have been one of you mentioned here that very high FEC on VDSL can occur as there are many more data packets traversing the link. However, I'm not satisfied that this is normal and I was putting it down to either a fault in the HG658c or that perhaps Vodafone were doing something strange further up their network which was botching end connections. But with that said, I have a Vodafone DSL connection myself running on a HG658c with not a single CRC or FEC occurrence since it was installed

It's a hard one to nail

It is a hard one to nail alright! Look at my stats for a DSL up time of 2 days!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

When G.INP was enabled the FEC errors reported on the Vodafone unit increased exponentially. I'm not convinced they are an accurate reporting of whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I posted to my long running thread on the Vodafone site and recently got a text from Vodafone saying they are having their Technical Team look into it, again.

Vodafone thread

Few things.

The screen shot shows the VDSL connected for over 22 hours with 190 CRC errors. That's not bad and not consistent with a regularly dropping connection. What issues exactly are you having? You posted a speedtest with a ping of 21. That's fine.

What kind of NAT is xbox live reporting? Have you tried changing the wifi channels and connecting directly with ethernet to see if it's a wifi issue?

Based on your attenuation you're syncing at a speed I'd expect. FEC errors are always high on Vodafone boxes after G.INP was implemented. Mine is the same.

To be honest I don't think there's any huge problem with your line. I think it's more likely there's something causing a bit of RF interference periodically which is affecting the SNR and increasing the error count a bit or an equipment issue on your end. If you are syncing at 40Mbit with 10dB SNR that's perfectly fine for your attenuation.

I had only recently rebooted the modem after a long bout of lag.
    All equipment ie cordless phones and all other wireless capable devices where disconnected and switched off when tests were done.
    Even now, it says it is syncing at just over 40956 kbits/s but net is really slow.

The figures look good but the performance isn't matching up. Two sons playing xbox live and moaning all the time about lag is enough to slowly drive anyone mad.

Will check the NAT on xbox tomorrow.

yuloni wrote: »

Any chance of a copy of the O2 Firmware? Or would using it affect my contract with Vodafone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

kleefarr wrote: »
    I had only recently rebooted the modem after a long bout of lag.
    All equipment ie cordless phones and all other wireless capable devices where disconnected and switched off when tests were done.
    Even now, it says it is syncing at just over 40956 kbits/s but net is really slow.

The figures look good but the performance isn't matching up. Two sons playing xbox live and moaning all the time about lag is enough to slowly drive anyone mad.

Will check the NAT on xbox tomorrow.

I hope you are testing over Ethernet. Run a few pings from command line and post screenshots

There is a hold on all tests.

Eircom just rang and are calling around later.

There is a hold on all tests.

Eircom just rang and are calling around later.

The tech team have confirmed that there is a fault somewhere on the connection, so the engineers have been notified.

Engineer says that there are 2 problems 1. A bridge tap 2. Problem with line coming to house.

• Advertisement

Bridge tap removed. He's gone to Cabinet to tweak it.

Bridge tap removed. He's gone to Cabinet to tweak it.

Has this fixed the problem?

Has this fixed the problem?

May be a bit early to say, but seems fine, although I just had a text saying that the service issue had been cleared and then got two lots of lag. LOL

Will see how it goes next few days.

What's the sync speed now and the stats?

Profile the same as before. Will leave a couple of days then ask them to reprofile and see what they come up with.

line%20stats%206-5-15_zpsupdshnoz.jpg

8.4 to 10.3 on the dSNR, not huge, but may have been the bump you needed.

Is that 2.33hrs on the uptime yeah?

ED E wrote: »
    8.4 to 10.3 on the dSNR, not huge, but may have been the bump you needed.

Is that 2.33hrs on the uptime yeah?

Yep 2.22 hrs.

You can't reprofile with am snr of 10.

Yep 2.22 hrs.

2Hrs 22 mins is ~2.33 hrs ;) #accuracyNazi
    You can't reprofile with am snr of 10.

He may as well ask for the 40_20 though, get his upstream back to full whack. DS shouldnt be set higher though.

• Advertisement

Downstream SNR (dB) 8.9

:(

Advertisement