Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Had to switch off Marc Coleman.

Gobsh*te played a clip of the Ceann Comhairle giving out to TDs, then said in the most patronising condescending tone possible:

"Well maybe someone should remind him that he's not in "The Houses of Parliment", he's in "The Dail". That's an important distinction to make."

No it f*cking isn't! It's not "important" in the slightest!

Twat.

(And I know I generally like him, but Christ he can be infuriating...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭GSF

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    "Well maybe someone should remind him that he's not in "The Houses of Parliment", he's in "The Dail". That's an important distinction to make."

Does anyone know what the Brits did to Coleman to give him the massive chip that he has on his shoulder about the UK? For a FG'er he is more extreme than many SF'ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Coleman is hilarious for all the wrong reasons. His paranoid anti-media/RTE/'the liberal agenda'/'the leftist agenda' rants are great. Poor guy, if only he had 'compassion fer de man in de streeeh' he could take over for Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,816 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

withless wrote: »
    Coleman is hilarious for all the wrong reasons. His paranoid anti-media/RTE/'the liberal agenda'/'the leftist agenda' rants are great. Poor guy, if only he had 'compassion fer de man in de streeeh' he could take over for Joe Duffy.

Yeah he was going on the other night about RTE and the Irish Times suppressing coverage of the Soviet invasion Afghanistan when Gorbachev visited back in the 1980s. You must have been a pretty media savvy child back then Marc...
    And the thing is, it's all put on, or at least jacked up massively, and deep down he's a right-liberal south Dublin FG/PD type. I didn't hear it, but read a review of an appearance on the show talking about civil partnership by Councillor Richard Greene, a genuine article Irish social conservative. Apparently Coleman was horrified and declared he wouldn't have him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Jonathan Healy on Lunchtime annoyed me yesterday.

He was wondering what it said about Irish people that we're more interested in the US elections than the Childrens Referendum

This from Newstalk? Who sent Hooky to the US, took ABC radio overnight live on count night, regularly has a US slot with the Boston Globe guy and has been offering wall to wall coverage of the whole campaign?

Please....

Yeah he was going on the other night about RTE and the Irish Times suppressing coverage of the Soviet invasion Afghanistan when Gorbachev visited back in the 1980s. You must have been a pretty media savvy child back then Marc...
    And the thing is, it's all put on, or at least jacked up massively, and deep down he's a right-liberal south Dublin FG/PD type. I didn't hear it, but read a review of an appearance on the show talking about civil partnership by Councillor Richard Greene, a genuine article Irish social conservative. Apparently Coleman was horrified and declared he wouldn't have him back.
    Dont think its put on. I remember him in TCD being much the same.

GSF wrote: »

Okay putting it on is too strong but deep down he and other neocon wannabes like John McGuirk share fundamental liberal assumptions about the separation of church and state etc. that are rejected by 'true' Irish social conservatives. If you put him in a Delorean and sent him back to 50s Ireland, I'm pretty sure he'd run screaming back to the the godless 21st century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Was anyone listening to George Byrne on the Tom Dunne show? He really is a twit. He's too cool for Christmas and he supports Rangers just to be different. Like we give a shyte :rolleyes:

If you put him in a Delorean and sent him back to 50s Ireland, I'm pretty sure he'd run screaming back to the the godless 21st century.
    Its worth a try! Shall we start a collection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Was anyone listening to George Byrne on the Tom Dunne show? He really is a twit. He's too cool for Christmas and he supports Rangers just to be different. Like we give a shyte :rolleyes:

Who? (Genuinely)

Who? (Genuinely)

George Byrne, incredibly smug and self-important Evening Herald journalist who does film reviews on Thursday mornings on the Tom Dunne Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

George Byrne is grand, he had a valid point I thought.

George Byrne, incredibly smug and self-important Evening Herald journalist who does film reviews on Thursday mornings on the Tom Dunne Show.

I like him, his musical taste coincides almost exactly with my own, but I can see how he might rub people up the wrong way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Shamrock Rovers and Rangers

interesting combination:D

Okay putting it on is too strong but deep down he and other neocon wannabes like John McGuirk share fundamental liberal assumptions about the separation of church and state etc. that are rejected by 'true' Irish social conservatives. If you put him in a Delorean and sent him back to 50s Ireland, I'm pretty sure he'd run screaming back to the the godless 21st century.
    I would say he is a staunch Catholic. He loves John Waters fer chrissakes.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    George Byrne is grand, he had a valid point I thought.

I knew guys like him in school. At least they had an excuse as they were rebellious teenagers who were anti everything. Byrne must be in his 50's at this stage. It's about time he acted his age. Not so long ago I heard him telling Tom Dunne that he supported a different football team from each country in Europe and then proceeded to inform us ad nauseum about them. That's something that I'd expect from my 10 year old nephew.

Lots of people in old media have made careers for themselves out of their zany opinions.

I would say he is a staunch Catholic. He loves John Waters fer chrissakes.

When I say 'true Catholics' I mean people like the late Bean Ui Chribin: do you think Coleman (or Waters for that matter) would be at one with them in seeking to outlaw homosexuality, contraception, sex education in schools etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

amanda brunker on again? some of the repeat guests on moncreiff have nothing to say in the first place, nevermind nothing anymore.
    she just said she has willies poking her eye out at 7 in the morning. hmmm..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Ditto.

Not sure about that...

• Advertisement

When I say 'true Catholics' I mean people like the late Bean Ui Chribin: do you think Coleman (or Waters for that matter) would be at one with them in seeking to outlaw homosexuality, contraception, sex education in schools etc.?
    I don't know who that is.

Have you heard his show? He is railing against those things indirectly every week. Maybe he's not being serious but I think that's worse in a way. When Bill Thormey or that other chancer he has on all the time are the voices of reason you know he is swinging at the fences.

I don't know who that is.

Have you heard his show? He is railing against those things indirectly every week. Maybe he's not being serious but I think that's worse in a way. When Bill Thormey or that other chancer he has on all the time are the voices of reason you know he is swinging at the fences.

http://www.thejournal.ie/mine-bean-ui-chribin-dies-550439-Aug2012/

Can you imagine Coleman breaking up a school meeting to discuss a sex education programme, or supporting such actions? IMO, guys like Coleman and David Quinn are trying to graft a US brand of conservatism onto Irish politics, and they economic side of it matches up fairly well, but the old-school Irish Catholic social conservatism that they're trying to tap into is way more extreme than the American version they are embracing, as well as explicitly theocratic in a way you don't really get in America.

Are you guys who see Coleman as a Catholic hardliner all Dubs? as someone who grew up in the wild west, I have to say he feels pretty lightweight to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

newstalk breakfast very funny this morning, some deluded FF senator from Roscommon on trying to defend the 150k cost to the state for the TD's and senators to send Christmas cards,

Senator Deluded 'sure it supports jobs in the card companies'
    Norah Casey ' yes, but can you not buy this cards yourself rather than have the state pay for them'
    Senator Deluded ' but i'm designing nice cards with a photo of my village on them'
    Norah Casey 'emmm ok, but can you not buy this cards yourself rather than have the state pay for them'
    Senator Deluded 'but it supports jobs in the card companies'

and on and on it went, yet another reason to abolish the seanad if they spend their days debating christmas cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

I don't think there's a right hook thread on here, so I'll vent my spleen here...

Does anyone else find the American love-in that the right hook show has highly irritating?

It comes across smug, self indulgent, and frankly it's like George Hook and co think they're some sort of Mad Men/west wing gang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

STOP NORAH LAUGHING! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

qwert2 wrote: »
    I don't think there's a right hook thread on here, so I'll vent my spleen here...

Does anyone else find the American love-in that the right hook show has highly irritating?

It comes across smug, self indulgent, and frankly it's like George Hook and co think they're some sort of Mad Men/west wing gang

but is George not American? he know's soooo much about american politics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

wtf is going on with newstalk and bloody christmas??? 9th of november, lots of interesting news (new US pres, referendum etc etc) and the chief focus over the last couple of days has been some lame-ass, turgid, boring and utterly predictable "report" telling us that Paddy likes to spend a few quid over Christmas?

If I was suspicious I would suspect they are attempting a very transparent attempt at getting a few christmas ads coming in the door to lessen Mr. O'Briens losses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

George lived in america for a few years so hes an expert on the Americans and the political system. Between hook and copper fawning over the yanks this week its been uterly ****e radio in the evenings

I was listening to Davenport after Dark last night while in bed, fell asleep and the radio stayed on all night. Woke up in the middle of the night to hear snippets of the Right Hook from yesterday...

From what I could gather, he was doing an OB from a hotel lobby in the US...

Why?

Seriously, why?

Did it serve any purpose, or was it just a little holiday for George and his production staff?

But its the George Hook show. The entire show is about him. Its not a current affairs programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

But its the George Hook show. The entire show is about him. Its not a current affairs programme.
    Spot on.

I was listening to Davenport after Dark last night while in bed, fell asleep and the radio stayed on all night. Woke up in the middle of the night to hear snippets of the Right Hook from yesterday...

falling asleep to davenport after dark eh??

waking up in the middle of the night?? yeah?

what were you dreaming of?!!

falling asleep to davenport after dark eh??

waking up in the middle of the night?? yeah?

what were you dreaming of?!!

OH I GET IT!

It's because he talks about sex isn't it?

That's clever.... :pac:

OH I GET IT!

It's because he talks about sex isn't it?

That's clever.... :pac:

i only ever hear that if i'm driving on a saturday evening.
    i still maintain that most of the messages are sent in by young fellas just wanting to hear the word masturbation or vagina read out on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

neris wrote: »
    George lived in america for a few years so hes an expert on the Americans and the political system. Between hook and copper fawning over the yanks this week its been uterly ****e radio in the evenings

I wouldn't even buy that story he spins, he was only over there for a couple of months at a time during Eddie O Sullivan's first tenure as USA rugby coach.

He just has an interest in American politics and he uses his show as a vehicle to indulge his passion regardless of whether the people want to hear it or not.

Bobby kerr & his business person of the month award is some sham. all the winners have been people running big companies. Surely the "award" would be better going to businesses strugling through life & could do with the publicity rather then some company thriving over millions. Bit like bobby is keeping a little clique of the established going

Bobby kerr & his business person of the month award is some sham. all the winners have been people running big companies. Surely the "award" would be better going to businesses strugling through life & could do with the publicity rather then some company thriving over millions. Bit like bobby is keeping a little clique of the established going

Denis is probably just keeping his big business pals sweet ;)

Denis is probably just keeping his big business pals sweet ;)

1 of the 2 main banks is running ads on radio where customers give a "testament" about how great the bank is and understands their needs and business. Funniy enough one of the customers is obriens nephew. Wouldnt e surprised if a certain dental chain is business of the month soon

1 of the 2 main banks is running ads on radio where customers give a "testament" about how great the bank is and understands their needs and business. Funniy enough one of the customers is obriens nephew. Wouldnt e surprised if a certain dental chain is business of the month soon

really? i thought he was just a godson! you'd think denis would've given him a bit of advice like, wake the fook up before you make an advertisement!
    the guy sounds half asleep!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Kathleen Lynch has some cheek questioning people who "take democracy for granted"... If the referendum had not been passed it would have been put to the electorate over and over again until it was passed... I'm sure that was not lost on people who did not bother showing up to vote on Saturday... What's the point in voting, the Government want a "Yes" and they will keep putting it to the people until they get it... democracy has nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If the referendum had not been passed it would have been put to the electorate over and over again until it was passed.

I think your mistaking the childrens referendum for an important referendum such as one that ensures we keep getting money from Europe.

Kathleen Lynch has some cheek questioning people who "take democracy for granted"... If the referendum had not been passed it would have been put to the electorate over and over again until it was passed... I'm sure that was not lost on people who did not bother showing up to vote on Saturday... What's the point in voting, the Government want a "Yes" and they will keep putting it to the people until they get it... democracy has nothing to do with it.

Perhaps she might re-read Labours 2012 election manifesto, which promises to take on bankers, reform politics and the divil and all, she might then reflect that we do not actually take democracy for granted but are instead disillusioned with our failed politicians.

Actually just took a peak at her website - her official title is:

Minister of State, Department of Health and Department of Justice, Equality & Defence with responsibility for Disability,Older People, Equality & Mental Health

In this time of austerity surely Kathleen needs to cut-back and make do! To contribute to the general belt-tightening of the country she should reform her title to "Mini-Minister of Good Causes and No Powers".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So, how many times will Newstalk say 'Model Katy French' or as the tabloids say 'Tragic Katy French' this Christmas?

Every year she pops up, collapsed at a house party in 2007, never mention the COKE and never mention the other 4/5 (or more)? common people who died the same week from the same thing as her from doing the dodgy charlie.

Sorry, double posted.

• Advertisement

Why do Newstalk Breakfast always have either of those windbags Michael O'Regan or John Drennan on their Wednesday political panel?

Drennan again this morning.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

So, how many times will Newstalk say 'Model Katy French' or as the tabloids say 'Tragic Katy French' this Christmas?

Every year she pops up, collapsed at a house party in 2007, never mention the COKE and never mention the other 4/5 (or more)? common people who died the same week from the same thing as her from doing the dodgy charlie.

I always think this too. There were two other incidents of two sets of young men who died that weekend too from dodgy coke and nothing is ever mentioned of them. One of those guys, IIRC, had even just been given the all clear from cancer too but because Katy was pretty and a model her death is tragic!:rolleyes:

I always think this too. There were two other incidents of two sets of young men who died that weekend too from dodgy coke and nothing is ever mentioned of them. One of those guys, IIRC, had even just been given the all clear from cancer too but because Katy was pretty and a model her death is tragic!:rolleyes:

Its true.
    You're not the only one who thinks this, couple mates of mine bring it up around this time of year every year when 'she who is beautiful' (:rolleyes:) is mentioned as tragic.

I dont care what anyone say, half the country was doing coke at the time, not just katy and her z list celeb friends.

Annoys the hell out of me that these other people are never mentioned in the same chat shows and articles.
    Wheres the justice for their lives in court? Yet the people who sold the dodgy coke to katys friend who then gave the coke to her are going down for murder in Feb, when it will be all brought back up again about 'Tragic Model Katy French'. Ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Its true.
    You're not the only one who thinks this, couple mates of mine bring it up around this time of year every year when 'she who is beautiful' (:rolleyes:) is mentioned as tragic.

I dont care what anyone say, half the country was doing coke at the time, not just katy and her z list celeb friends.

Annoys the hell out of me that these other people are never mentioned in the same chat shows and articles.
    Wheres the justice for their lives in court? Yet the people who sold the dodgy coke to katys friend who then gave the coke to her are going down for murder in Feb, when it will be all brought back up again about 'Tragic Model Katy French'. Ridiculous

Tragic maybe because of her basic lack of cop on in taking an illegal substance that we all know is dangerous.
    Everyone who lost their life that weekend was too young to die and the loss of life overall was tragic. .....for their families and friends.
    I remember people at work talking about the deaths that weekend and one man said how great a pity it was that Katy had died. When I asked him why he said because she was beautiful and female. :mad: When I asked him how he felt about the other deaths that weekend he said that they were boys who should have known better!

Tragic is what happened to that poor woman in UCHG and her husband who is left grieving the loss of his wife and unborn child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone know what Eamon Keane is up to these days?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement