Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

Ryanair have flights into Cardiff on 16th, 17th-19th of october for 185 euro return for those who havent made any flight arrangements yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Shedite27 wrote: »
    How much is the train likely to be (if we get them at advance prices? I'm conscious that we're looking for peak times (Brimingham - Cardiff Friday evening and reverse Monday AM)

I'm going to the 6N game in Cardiff in March, flying to Birmingham, and renting a car for the couple of days is only about 50 quid. If you're splitting it between a few it's cheaper and more flexible than the train I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Steven81 wrote: »
    Ryanair have flights into Cardiff on 16th, 17th-19th of october for 185 euro return for those who havent made any flight arrangements yet.

That's not bad. Although accomodation is probably all booked up by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I went for 1 day trips with Killester for French(ex Cork)(415euro) and Quarter Final(ex Dubland)(464euro).

Booked Aer Lingus(Ex Cork)(245euro) for Italian game for same day return also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 moonskiis

I have tickets for the Ireland v France game in Cardiff on the 11th Oct. Only travelling for the weekend with 3 others.

I am trying to decide how best to get there and I have a few different options in mind.

My main problem is accommodation. It seems to be non-existent. Just looking for some advice on what to do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

moonskiis wrote: »
    I have tickets for the Ireland v France game in Cardiff on the 11th Oct. Only travelling for the weekend with 3 others.

I am trying to decide how best to get there and I have a few different options in mind.

My main problem is accommodation. It seems to be non-existent. Just looking for some advice on what to do?

Stay in Bristol and get the train in from there. That's what I'm doing for the quarters.

Stay in Bristol and get the train in from there. That's what I'm doing for the quarters.

Is it a case that there isn't any available or won't be any available close to the date?

I am just thinking in terms of nightlife of enjoying the atmosphere in Cardiff. Would rather stay there for the 2 nights

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Is it a case that there isn't any available or won't be any available close to the date?

I am just thinking in terms of nightlife of enjoying the atmosphere in Cardiff. Would rather stay there for the 2 nights

There's just literally nothing available in Cardiff (for the quarter finals weekend anyway).

I found no hotels, b&bs, hostels, and only one place on AirBnB which was £1070 for a single night (2 bed flat).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

There's just literally nothing available in Cardiff (for the quarter finals weekend anyway).

I found no hotels, b&bs, hostels, and only one place on AirBnB which was £1070 for a single night (2 bed flat).

Yep, Cardiff is always an issue as it is small and limited occupancy

There will be plenty in Bristol as per previous games I'd say

It may be possible to link up with others and organize transport to and from Cardiff too.

a cheap option is to fly to London (available for €25 each way) and get a train to Bristol/cardiff - only 3 hours or so from any London airport

or alternatively hire/share a car - only a couple of hours drive

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

We're staying 10m away in the valleys. Rented a house for 8 of us. Nothing at all in the town. I contacted a few hotels to see if they were available, nothing. Same with the local tourist office. They pointed me to a dorm style thing in the town who have 160beds but were complelty sold out too

• Advertisement

Thanks for the information all.

I ended up booking a hotel in Cardiff. Paid way over what I would usually even consider but it was still cheaper in comparison to what other hotels are charging.

Just delighted to be going to a RWC!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Shedite27 wrote: »
    We're staying 10m away in the valleys. Rented a house for 8 of us. Nothing at all in the town. I contacted a few hotels to see if they were available, nothing. Same with the local tourist office. They pointed me to a dorm style thing in the town who have 160beds but were complelty sold out too

What's the valleys?

What site did you use to book accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

What's the valleys?

What site did you use to book accommodation?

You obviously don't watch MTV!
    You'd have a good night out in the Valleys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Found it on http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/

"Valleys" is the countryside around Cardiff. Or at least the slang name

• Registered Users Posts: 14 joycer31

Hi people

Going to the Ireland v Italy game, staying in Islington 2 questions
    1. Is this a decent area any good pubs, restaurants?
    2. What's the best place for pre match atmosphere in London.
    thanks

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just down the road from me so, pretty solid in terms of pubs and restaurants (particularly the Upper Street area) and good transport links (Overground from Highbury and Islington station to Stratford for the Olympic stadium).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 joycer31

Just down the road from me so, pretty solid in terms of pubs and restaurants and good transport links (Overground from Highbury and Islington station to Stratford for the Olympic stadium).

Cheers man. Any use for Rugby games?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Very heavy soccer area because you're so close to the Emirates tbh.

Likelihood is though that the MRSC London branch will have a few things going on for the game at their three venues, likewise the OLSC at Philomena's in the West End so it's worth keeping an eye on their FB pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

I've watched rugby in the Hemingford Arms occasionally http://www.metropolitanpubcompany.com/our-pubs/the-hemingford-arms/#whatson

A bit further afield and very much recommended would be the Faltering Fullback in Finsbury Park (http://thefullback.co.uk/) and the Sheephaven near Camden (http://www.sheephavenbaycamden.co.uk/)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Very heavy soccer area because you're so close to the Emirates tbh.

Likelihood is though that the MRSC London branch will have a few things going on for the game at their three venues, likewise the OLSC at Philomena's in the West End so it's worth keeping an eye on their FB pages.
    The Faltering Fullback is another useful rugby spot in Finbsuray (just north of upper street). Islington is a great spot to go out for food and drink but I agree it is definitely not a rugby area so the poster should check pubs in advance. It should be a lot better for world cup though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Does anyone have experience of staying in Newport? What's the nightlife there or would we be better of heading into Cardiff? Heading over for the Canada match but the price of accomodation in Cardiff is crazy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Stayed in Newport for the Heineken Cup final in 2009. It's close enough to Cardiff. Went drinking in Cardiff after the game and then out to Newport later. Not much nightlife out that way to be honest. But it's easy enough to get out there via train or taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

adrian522 wrote: »
    Stayed in Newport for the Heineken Cup final in 2009. It's close enough to Cardiff. Went drinking in Cardiff after the game and then out to Newport later. Not much nightlife out that way to be honest. But it's easy enough to get out there via train or taxi.

Would a taxi cost much? Train is only 12-15 minutes which isn't too bad at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I can't remember exactly, should be about £25 or thereabouts. Maybe more during the WC possibly. Trains run quite late though so that may be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

Whwn do I receive the ticets , are they sent in the post

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

otterj wrote: »
    Whwn do I receive the ticets , are they sent in the post

They are posted to the delivery address you have on your profile and the website says they will be dispatched in summer 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 15 shinners9

Two of us going over to Cardiff for Ireland - France game for 2 nights and have been trawling all the travel sites etc for past couple months for accommodation. Was beginning to give up hope of getting anything in the city when I struck gold tonight! Got a cancellation in Travel Lodge Central St. Marys Street for €203 in total!!!50 each per night,happy days! Just shows,you need to keep looking and you never know,your luck just might be in. Now....just have to organise getting there!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

Many stayiing in Newport for the cardiff game?

I am yeah, in the Premier Inn. That's for the quarter final weekend though not the France game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

Quarter final weekend I am. Got a b&b for £35 a night, Saturday and Sunday. Fly in and out of bristol. Got tickets for the Sunday quarter final so gotta beat France!!!

Advertisement