Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

August 2015 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

Dobbit wrote: »
    My OH went back to work today after 2 weeks paternity leave. Had a hard day without him, lots of crying and a difficult to settle baby. Just when we finally cracked breastfeeding the settling comes unstuck, sigh. Also OH's aunt is doing my head in. She keeps calling round dishing out orders in the guise of advice. Today then she asked me did I need anything from the shops and got totally the wrong thing, AND corrected me for complaining about it. God preserve me from that kind of "help". I've had to ask a few people not to call over just because I'm so flaming exhausted. Probably seems selfish but I'll never get him into anything like a routine if all and sundry keep calling over.

It sounds like a bit of a nightmare "help" indeed! All I can say is I'm being pretty frank with people at the moment, and if I'm not happy with someone's presence, I just voice my concerns. You can always blame it on the hormones! ;-)

Surely it'll get better and you'll be ready for visitors when you're ready! Don't put too much pressure on yourself - the wellbeing of you and your little one is most important now!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

Well said emka !

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Thanks ladies, glad to know I'm not alone! OH's dad called over at 8 tonight when we hadn't had a chance to have dinner and stayed until 9 and basically had to be asked to leave and told not to call so late again. I finally got baby down when he was here and he was like "you should go to bed, you look tired" and I snapped back "I haven't eaten yet!".

In better news baby is feeding much faster now, 10-20 mins a side down from 30-50 mins! We also got some new soothers, the tommy tippee closer to nature ones, and he is much easier to settle now with them. He just loves sucking but I was becoming his pacifier...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

emka1984 wrote:
    Oh and for those curious about the "ribbon" - it's a hormone inserted behind your cervix in a form of a flat tampon. It's meant to "ripen" the cervix if it's not fully favourable.

Being induced on Wed with the same method. Hoping it works
    I'd rather not spend an extra night there if I don't have to. They said they will leave it for 24 hours before trying the gel

The very best of luck irishgirl will be thinking of you hope it all goes well for you. It will all be over soon enjoy your last few hours with your bump.
    Im in hospital with my little pet. An infection in his kidneys. On antibiotics and gaining weight. we have had an awful week but hope we will get good results waiting for results. Hold them close and love them more.

• Advertisement

Best of luck Irishgirl! Hopefully it goes all smoothly and at least more less to your plan! :-)

I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday!

catchery wrote: »
    Im in hospital with my little pet. An infection in his kidneys. On antibiotics and gaining weight. we have had an awful week but hope we will get good results waiting for results. Hold them close and love them more.

Oh my! Fingers crossed for good results and a quick recovery!

Ah no cathcery. I hope he gets better soon and it's only a very short stay :-( look after yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hope the little fella is OK Catchery.

And I'll be right behind you Irishgirl, I'm getting induced on Thursday afternoon. Due to my age and that fact that even though the head is engaged there's no movement on my cervix. I wasn't offered the ribbon, going to have 2 rounds of gel, and if it doesn't work, I can opt for a C-Section, I don't know whether it's because of my age or because my veins are causing my leg to swell, I was too busy trying to take in all the info this morning.

Hope the little fella is OK Catchery.

And I'll be right behind you Irishgirl, I'm getting induced on Thursday afternoon. Due to my age and that fact that even though the head is engaged there's no movement on my cervix. I wasn't offered the ribbon, going to have 2 rounds of gel, and if it doesn't work, I can opt for a C-Section, I don't know whether it's because of my age or because my veins are causing my leg to swell, I was too busy trying to take in all the info this morning.

Best of luck and keep us posted! :-)

• Advertisement

Best of luck borderlinemeath. I'm starting to feel a bit nervous now. Hoping it will all be over quick

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

Hope your little one is better catchery! It must be awful when they are sick and so small.

Best of luck Irish girl and borderlinemeath.

We have moved from Galway to Dundalk. Not much fun with a newborn but we are in our new place now. Little fella is 5 weeks tomorrow. The time is flying!!

cowlove wrote: »
    Hope your little one is better catchery! It must be awful when they are sick and so small.

Best of luck Irish girl and borderlinemeath.

We have moved from Galway to Dundalk. Not much fun with a newborn but we are in our new place now. Little fella is 5 weeks tomorrow. The time is flying!!

Wow impressive with the move! Well done and enjoy the new place! :-)

5 weeks already?! Oh my! Well in fairness, my little missy will be 3 weeks on Monday! Madness! Hope all is well?

Irishgirl and borderlinemeath - thinking of you! Hope all is well and maybe both of you have your little bundles of joy with you already?!

Catchery - hope you're on the way to recovery and all is good now?

Dobbit - all good with the family now? :-) how is your little one feeding? Mine is having days when she feeds maybe 10-20 mins at each breast, but for example this morning she was stuck to me for almost 50!

Irishgirl and borderline hope all is going well and we here some news soon.

Im home with my little man, have to go back for more tests in 6 weeks and maybe face surgery in the future. He will also be on medication for the next two years. But ! But ! He is gaining weight and is alert and starting to smile when you have the chat with him. Feeling so happy to be home and back to a messy house ! Hope all is well with everyone !

Hear ! Even ! Man im tired !

Irishgirl and borderline hope all is going well and we here some news soon.

Im home with my little man, have to go back for more tests in 6 weeks and maybe face surgery in the future. He will also be on medication for the next two years. But ! But ! He is gaining weight and is alert and starting to smile when you have the chat with him. Feeling so happy to be home and back to a messy house ! Hope all is well with everyone !

Sounds like you're starting to get things under control - great news! I hope the surgery is a minor one, if needed at all! And hopefully your little man recovers as quickly as possible... It's lovely to have some consolation in his smiles and weight gaining - makes you feel that it's definitely all worth it, doesn't it?!

How is your little man now catchery. Glad to hear things are looking up for him with him putting on the weight.
    I went into hospital on Wed and got the pessary and then got the gel on Thursday and they broke my waters that night. Had a little girl Friday morning. We are going home today all going well

How is your little man now catchery. Glad to hear things are looking up for him with him putting on the weight.
    I went into hospital on Wed and got the pessary and then got the gel on Thursday and they broke my waters that night. Had a little girl Friday morning. We are going home today all going well

Congratulations! Enjoy every moment!

• Advertisement

Our little girl arrived on Friday night at 8.41pm. After 3 rounds of gel I finally went into labour around 2pm. Gas and air didn't agree with me at all, made me vomit almost immediately so got into the birthing pool and that really seemed to help, so much so I went too quickly for an epidural and ended up just getting a pethadine injection but then after an hr & a half of pushing she wouldn't come out on her own so needed forceps and an episiotomy. So sore and uncomfortable but so worth it as she's absolutely perfect!

Our little girl arrived on Friday night at 8.41pm. After 3 rounds of gel I finally went into labour around 2pm. Gas and air didn't agree with me at all, made me vomit almost immediately so got into the birthing pool and that really seemed to help, so much so I went too quickly for an epidural and ended up just getting a pethadine injection but then after an hr & a half of pushing she wouldn't come out on her own so needed forceps and an episiotomy. So sore and uncomfortable but so worth it as she's absolutely perfect!

Congratulations and well done! The episiotomy will take a while to heal but every day will be better! Just remember to take regular showers - they do help with the healing...

emka1984 wrote: »
    Dobbit - all good with the family now? :-) how is your little one feeding? Mine is having days when she feeds maybe 10-20 mins at each breast, but for example this morning she was stuck to me for almost 50!

he feeds like crazy! Absolutely drains me and then cries for more. It's exhausting. He also had trouble getting his wind up so we started infacol but now he unlatches a lot because he is distracted by wind! It's been a bit tough. My goal was to ebf for 3 months at least but I think we are moving to combi feeding because its just too much, esp with my recovery (or lack there of).

he feeds like crazy! Absolutely drains me and then cries for more. It's exhausting. He also had trouble getting his wind up so we started infacol but now he unlatches a lot because he is distracted by wind! It's been a bit tough. My goal was to ebf for 3 months at least but I think we are moving to combi feeding because its just too much, esp with my recovery (or lack there of).

Oh my! Hopefully it works out, whatever you need to do now! Even combi feeding is beneficial, as he'll get some of the breastmilk anyways! :-) Don't put too much pressure on yourself! Your recovery is equally important!

We had another cluster feeding session last night, almost 8 hours of constant feeding and very sore nipples afterwards! I was crying half way through it and wanted to give up too! But for now she seems to be back to normal and I'm hoping I can continue!

Not easy at the beginning, but it'll be all worth it! :-)

Anyone else very stressed about leaving the house with the little ones or is it just me?!

Wonderful news irishgirl and borderline two little girls congrats to you both. Hope you are both home and well. If you have had some stitches from a vaginal birth, if nobody has recommended witch hazel lotion to keep wounds clean just pour some onto pad every time you shower or change and keeps area clean from infection. It also cools the area too!
    Breastfeeding mammas ! If you have a pump use it ! Helps toughen your nipples mine are not a bit sore now ! I had to measure every feed when we went back with my little guy, to see how much exactly he was taking in! So for five days i fed strictly 10 mins each side then expressed the rest, or just expressed the entire feed, and it really helped my nipples. Im still alternating. He loves the breast in the night and bottles for most of the day. 6 oz at most feeds and more sometimes. Hope this helps. Especially if milk is low or baby is falling asleep during feeds pumping will really help. Baby will be satisfied with a large bottle feed for 3-4 hours you can still express during this time but its much faster , and you can have a cup of tea and cake !

Also had back to school today all went well but im sure it was a fluke! Still didnt get my hair done !

Breastfeeding mammas ! If you have a pump use it ! Helps toughen your nipples mine are not a bit sore now ! I had to measure every feed when we went back with my little guy, to see how much exactly he was taking in! So for five days i fed strictly 10 mins each side then expressed the rest, or just expressed the entire feed, and it really helped my nipples. Im still alternating. He loves the breast in the night and bottles for most of the day. 6 oz at most feeds and more sometimes. Hope this helps. Especially if milk is low or baby is falling asleep during feeds pumping will really help. Baby will be satisfied with a large bottle feed for 3-4 hours you can still express during this time but its much faster , and you can have a cup of tea and cake !

Thanks hun! They're recommending not to use expressed breastmilk for the first few weeks as not to cause "nipple confusion" between the real deal and the bottle. You don't agree?

Well i had no choice because with my little guy they wanted to rule out any reason for not gaining weight . But it didnt really bother him going from one to the other ! He is five weeks now and is still feeding from both no problems. The breast is definitely a comfort so for night feeds he feeds really well for 15 -20 mins on both sides with no snoozing at all ! Just feeds and rolls off. It is up to you hun but i can use a pad with bra and no need for nipple cream any more. They are sensitive but not painful where you are crying, like someone is pouring acid on a cut pain ! I do feel if you are exhausted and upset its better to try different ways that work for you than totally giving up!

Congrats borderline meath. Our little babies have the same birthday :-) I had to episiotomy too,how are u feeling. I am very uncomfortable. If you have any tips let me know.
    I heard of the witch hazel and bought some but all of the midwifes advised me against it?

• Advertisement

Ok ! I used it nearly six years ago now and that was from the midwives advice ? Sorry it must have changed ! I had to get suppositories after my first birth for pain relief. Just rang my doc and spoke on phone and got husband to pick up prescrip. Very sore take it very easy.sitting on a rubber ring helps. But it takes time be gentle with yourself and take any help offered x

Well i had no choice because with my little guy they wanted to rule out any reason for not gaining weight . But it didnt really bother him going from one to the other ! He is five weeks now and is still feeding from both no problems. The breast is definitely a comfort so for night feeds he feeds really well for 15 -20 mins on both sides with no snoozing at all ! Just feeds and rolls off. It is up to you hun but i can use a pad with bra and no need for nipple cream any more. They are sensitive but not painful where you are crying, like someone is pouring acid on a cut pain ! I do feel if you are exhausted and upset its better to try different ways that work for you than totally giving up!

hell it's gonna take a bit more to discourage me, LOL
    But good to hear your little one is ok with both solutions - I'll try to wait a few more days/weeks if I can, and if not - I'll defo try combining expressing and feeding from the breast, thanks for your advice!

Good woman yourself emka ! Keep going well done. Its tough but you will look back before you know it !

Congrats borderline meath. Our little babies have the same birthday :-) I had to episiotomy too,how are u feeling. I am very uncomfortable. If you have any tips let me know.
    I heard of the witch hazel and bought some but all of the midwifes advised me against it?

I had an episiotomy too! Maybe it's true what they say that they do theM too often nowadays?!

Either way it's quite uncomfortable for the first week or so but each day you'll be getting better! I haven't used anything and am healing quite well and with no complications so far! What I did find helpful though were the thick maternity pads - they give a nice enough cushion / padding. I'm on the thin ones now but didn't even look at them at the start!

Posting from the doctors office. I have mastitis! Oh joy. I had a wee cough and headache but didn't think much of it (no sleep!) and then I nearly fainted changing him earlier.

This is the nail in the coffin for my breastfeeding journey unfortunately. I've agonised quietly for a few days now and was going to keep going but it's just too much. Feel like a total failure but no one could say I didn't give it all I could.

Posting from the doctors office. I have mastitis! Oh joy. I had a wee cough and headache but didn't think much of it (no sleep!) and then I nearly fainted changing him earlier.

This is the nail in the coffin for my breastfeeding journey unfortunately. I've agonised quietly for a few days now and was going to keep going but it's just too much. Feel like a total failure but no one could say I didn't give it all I could.

Don't feel like a failure hun! If it doesn't work it doesn't work, it counts that you tried!

Any other symptoms you had? Cause I have an awful cough too but since my hubby is sick I just presumed I cought it from him... now you got me worried!

• Advertisement

emka1984 wrote: »
    Don't feel like a failure hun! If it doesn't work it doesn't work, it counts that you tried!

Any other symptoms you had? Cause I have an awful cough too but since my hubby is sick I just presumed I fought it from him... now you got me worried!
    Slightly sore boob for a few hours but nothing bad or worrying, it just hit me like a tonne of bricks earlier. Started feeling very cold and shivering suddenly, took temp and it was high. Boob also very sore now.

I rang nurseline and they said get to GP asap so if you started shivering you might want to call.

Slightly sore boob for a few hours but nothing bad or worrying, it just hit me like a tonne of bricks earlier. Started feeling very cold and shivering suddenly, took temp and it was high. Boob also very sore now.

I rang nurseline and they said get to GP asap so if you started shivering you might want to call.

I'll keep an eye on it so.

Hope you feel better soon!

I always thought I was breast fed and only discovered the other day from my mum that I was not as I simply didn't feed from the breast for some reason. I turned out OK enough Lol, your little one will be fine too! :-)

Congrats borderline and irishgirl. Delighted all went well 😀 enjoy your little girls!

Catchers I hope your little man will be ok.

I had an episiotomy and stitches were very sore for a few days but nearly 6 weeks later I am all healed thankfully. Each day will get easier.

Dobbit your breastfeeding journey sounds just like mine although mine only lasted a few days. My boobs were so sore and bloody and then the nail in the coffin was an infection. I had the same symptoms, shivering etc I just had to call it a day with the breastfeeding. I sobbed for days and felt such a failure. I had planned to breastfeed and nothing else was an option.
    For my own mental health I had to switch to formula and I see now that a happy mum equals a happy baby.

I didn't think breastfeeding would be as tough as it was, together with tiredness, hormones etc

Sorry to hear you are unwell dobbit, very painful and takes the good out of you so not worth it for you or baby. You are far from a failure dont ever say that. Well done for going so far to actually nearly faint !!! Relax now and get better and enjoy your time with your newborn baby. It all goes too quickly and worrying about what you did or didnt do is so pointless when you look back. Just enjoy cos it goes so fast. We are so good at beating ourselves up instead of praising ourselves. Hope you have a good well deserved sleeeeppppp x

cowlove wrote: »
    Congrats borderline and irishgirl. Delighted all went well 😀 enjoy your little girls!

Catchers I hope your little man will be ok.

I had an episiotomy and stitches were very sore for a few days but nearly 6 weeks later I am all healed thankfully. Each day will get easier.

Dobbit your breastfeeding journey sounds just like mine although mine only lasted a few days. My boobs were so sore and bloody and then the nail in the coffin was an infection. I had the same symptoms, shivering etc I just had to call it a day with the breastfeeding. I sobbed for days and felt such a failure. I had planned to breastfeed and nothing else was an option.
    For my own mental health I had to switch to formula and I see now that a happy mum equals a happy baby.

I didn't think breastfeeding would be as tough as it was, together with tiredness, hormones etc

I wish I could hug you!!! I feel exactly the same re mental health. I've had depression before and I knew there was a strong chance of it going down that road. I cried all over baby earlier and told him I was sorry I couldn't do it, like he cares! bloody hormones.

• Advertisement

Those hormones certainly do make us go a bit crazy don't they?

Sorry to hear you're not well dobbit and that the bf didn't work out. Fair play to u for trying. I am ff and it's so hard even though my OH can help me. I can only imagine what bf is like it must be very hard.
    The advise with the witchhazel seems to vary depending on what midwife u get ,its mad.
    Glad to hear there is light at the tunnel re the episiotomys ,it feels like mine will never heal. Because I had one will it mean one will be required for future births ?

One of the midwives told me to get arnica tablets, my stitches are fine, but I have very bad bruising, so the arnica will help, heard of sitting on the swim ring helps, was sitting on an ice pack in hosp, but I didn't feel much benefit to be honest. A friend of mine told me about tea tree oil in the bath today, so must look it up. I've a prescription for ponstan for the next week and can get it repeated if necessary. Since I got home today I find that wearing my maternity leggings feel like everything is far more "contained" than in my pjs in the hospital where I felt I had literally no control at all iykwim.

It's very uncomfortable, and it's only early days, but I'm going to attend my hospitals post natal physio classes to help with pelvic floor exercises, as I don't feel that I'm doing anything beneficial at the minute, but I'm still really swollen.

Breast feeding didn't work for my little girl, she has a posterior tongue tie, so I can get it clipped if needs be. The lactation consultant says that she may have been a finger sucker in the womb, if she was a thumb sucker she would have rolled her tongue but if she stuck her fingers in she may have pushed her tongue back. And in every scan she had her hands up around her face!! She's guzzling on her bottle and thriving and has a great routine already, it takes the worry away from knowing how much she's taken and as husband says don't beat myself up about it, he can also help with feeds, particularly as I feel so rotten with everything down below! I always said what happens will happen and if it didn't work it's not the end of the world. Only thing now is my milk has come in and boobs are like rocks, I have to get rid of it!

On a more poignant note, my lovely next door neighbour passed away on Saturday morning, not 12 hours after our daughter was born. She was in her late 80s/early 90s and had been in the hospital where I gave birth for the past month or so with final stage kidney failure. Every day she asked her family had I had the baby, was there any news on the baby, she was really looking forward to the news. We're absolutely devastated that she didn't get to meet her, but on some level we think she knew that she had arrived and it was ok for her to go. The eldest resident of our road leaves the world as the youngest arrived. We went to her removal tonight and I got very weepy for the first time, and they were all saying she was still asking when she could barely talk so she must have known as she passed very peacefully :(

Very sorry to hear about your neighbour she sounds like a lovely lady! It's the way life goes doesn't it? :-( pity she didn't get to meet your little one but she can watch over her from above now!

Totally agree with you on the peace of mind re amounts of food the little one is taking in and the fact that the partners can help out with feeding - I miss this with bf! We shall see how my adventure with bf goes!

You'll feel better with the stitches each day you'll see! I took arnica tablets too but not sure how much they helped. ... no harm in taking them I guess :-)

Awe I'm really sorry to hear that borderline Meath. She sounded like a really lovely woman. I agree about the timing re her death that maybe she knew it was time. Hope you get some comfort in knowing that.

I know all too well what you mean about not feeling 'contained'. I had no idea what I'd be like in the hospital. I stood up and had an accident in front of my friend. I was so upset. Hope the bleeding gets lighter soon.
    I am taking the arnica too they're great aren't they.
    I didn't know you could do the pelvic floor in the hospital. I must look into that. Have been trying to do them since but don't know if I'm even doing anything.hard to feel anything even :-(

Question for the ff mums. What amounts and how often are you feeding your little ones? Moving off breastfeeding means I'm a little lost, I know they should get around 25 oz in 24 hours but not sure how to distribute that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Hi all. Just checking in. Im still waiting in my little arrival. Feels like they will never be here!!!

40+5 today and no signs of anything happening. It's a hard wait oncethe due date passes.

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    Hi all. Just checking in. Im still waiting in my little arrival. Feels like they will never be here!!!

40+5 today and no signs of anything happening. It's a hard wait oncethe due date passes.

Stay strong! :-) you don't have much longer to wait! Surely easier said than done but you can do it! And best of luck with the delivery!

Question for the ff mums. What amounts and how often are you feeding your little ones? Moving off breastfeeding means I'm a little lost, I know they should get around 25 oz in 24 hours but not sure how to distribute that.

Hi Dobbit, I don't know if my way is correct but I was Giving 4oz every 3-4 hours. I have now gone up to 5oz. At night he might stretch to 5 hours between feeds. Hope this helps.

Sorry for your loss borderline hope you are ok. Sounds like a lovely lady x
    Ms tootsie hang on in there hun wont be much longer for you and the very best of luck.

My little guy is home from hospital a week after his visit. He got weighed today and has gained 1lb and 6oz !!!! Im so over the moon and so relieved and so exhausted lol ! Ive been measuring every drop and recording it for the district nurse. I can now allow him sleep for longer and breast feed more, think my pump is about to give in from overuse. Think ill book a hair appointment now !

• Advertisement
Advertisement