Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Isolation (PS4/Xbox One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Really loved this game. Scary as hell, but always looked forward to coming back for more. The atmosphere and design is great and it looks gorgeous. Had great fun thinking back to the film while playing.

The biggest downer for me was that well documented BAD bug on Mission 16 (loading wrong area, analog stick not working) - meaning I had to replay previous mission. But I got over that quickly enough. Crew Expendable though, disappointed me. So much more could have been done with that, but I suppose it is just some DLC and came with the game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

My birthday is approaching in 2 weeks, my sis said she'd get me a PS4 game.
    Which should I go for:

Shadow of Mordor (I like Batman games and LOTR)
    Alien Isolation (never played an Alien game)
    TLOU Remaster (never played original, I liked new Tomb Raider and Uncharted Series)
    Diablo 3 Ultimate Edition (I like couch co-op and BL2)

(I'll already definitely be getting Far Cry 4 as i have a €5 pre-order against it)

Sorry for repeat posts in each thread, I didn't want to create a decicated thread for something so small

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

sounds like you answered your own question

it between shadow of mordor or TLOU, you like more games similar to them and they are frankly both fantastic games.

Alien Isolation is firmly tied to how much you like

A) horror games

B) alien movies

also

new dlc pack hit today

3 new survivor levels.

only played a bit of the first one, looks pretty big, but the guy you play as by default suuuuucks (no flamethrower!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

do you ever kill the aliens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Saw there on an IGN article that once you get a flamethrower later in the game, dealing with the alien is much easier, as you can give him a quick blast of fire to get him to runaway for a short-time, giving you a way to escape. Is that the case?

Agricola wrote: »
    Saw there on an IGN article that once you get a flamethrower later in the game, dealing with the alien is much easier, as you can give him a quick blast of fire to get him to runaway for a short-time, giving you a way to escape. Is that the case?

yes and no

yes you do get one and it can scare away the alien

no overuse leads to the alien becoming more resistent to the flamethrower

first few times it'll run away from the first burst

then it'll not run away until you give it 3-4 bursts

then instead of running away it will bum rush knocking off a chunk of hp

then it wont give a f*ck and just come for you regardless

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    yes and no

yes you do get one and it can scare away the alien

no overuse leads to the alien becoming more resistent to the flamethrower

first few times it'll run away from the first burst

then it'll not run away until you give it 3-4 bursts

then instead of running away it will bum rush knocking off a chunk of hp

then it wont give a f*ck and just come for you regardless

Hmmm, part of me is glad they allowed for the obvious pitfall of people overusing it. Part of me is hating the amount of time I'm going to have to spend in lockers and under desks!

I'm currently 7th for score on the 2nd of the new maps. heh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Haven't had much time with this game at all, a lot less then I had hoped for over my Mid-Term. I seriously feel like I am making snaaails pace through this. 3 hours in, just started Mission 5. In saying that, absolutely beautiful atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Note to self.

Lockers do not guarantee safety.

Learned that the hard way few times now...

Oh and do not use the tracker In the locker, the f*king thing can hear it.

I completed the gauntlet for Halloween

all 3 new survivor maps where if you died you go all the way back to the beginning. So you can imagine dying in the last section of level 3 could be rage inducing.

I also thought to try out the new 60fps feature of youtube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Note to self.

Lockers do not guarantee safety.

Learned that the hard way few times now...

Oh and do not use the tracker In the locker, the f*king thing can hear it.

When you're in the locker pull back on the L stick to lean on back wall. Usually does the trick. You can also hold L2 to hold your breath.

I spent 10 minutes in a locker during my first alien encounter. I was too terrified to leave. It was late at night, dark and I have my PS3 hooked up to surround sound... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Just got this. My stress levels are through the feckin roof. They've done a great job capturing the feel of Alien. GFX are ok but they've nailed every aspect of the sound design. From the authentic cues from the movie to the use of sound and building music to frighten the shíte out of you. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Finally beat the section trying to get Dr. Morley's key card. Jesus wept I died umpteen times! Eventually gave up going for the collectables.

The Alien always seems to know where you are though and sometimes it seems down to luck whether or not she pulls you out of a tube or closet. Terrifying none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

faceman wrote: »
    Finally beat the section trying to get Dr. Morley's key card. Jesus wept I died umpteen times! Eventually gave up going for the collectables.

The Alien always seems to know where you are though and sometimes it seems down to luck whether or not she pulls you out of a tube or closet. Terrifying none the less.

Snap I did that section earlier on over and over that next save point always seemed so far away

faceman wrote: »

Yeah, Ive noticed that too and seen it happen on a lets play Im watching. As soon as you sneak away and into a new area, it's "thump thump thump" and he's right on your heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched Alien last night and saw just how much detail they actually went into with this game, from the exact same sound design for objects right down to design of the cupboards in the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭klose

I remember when the game was initially announced and there was a short walk through i could of sworn it said it was just you and the alien on the ship and no weapons but i cant complain about how it is now with the few weapons aswell as the androids and humans on the ship.

Like a poster above said im on the morley key card section and its pretty clear to me at this moment the alien just follows you section by section, dont see the randomness of the alien thus far either it seems to always walk the same paths over and over.

Am enjoying the game however as im a big alien fan myself, taking my time with it though.

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    I remember when the game was initially announced and there was a short walk through i could of sworn it said it was just you and the alien on the ship and no weapons but i cant complain about how it is now with the few weapons aswell as the androids and humans on the ship.

Like a poster above said im on the morley key card section and its pretty clear to me at this moment the alien just follows you section by section, dont see the randomness of the alien thus far either it seems to always walk the same paths over and over.

Am enjoying the game however as im a big alien fan myself, taking my time with it though.

Just out of curiosity are you playing on Hard?

As for guns, so far I've found the pistol to be bloody useless :o Really enjoying the game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Watched Alien last night and saw just how much detail they actually went into with this game, from the exact same sound design for objects right down to design of the cupboards in the walls.

This is something I've thought about myself. I went to see a double bill of alien and aliens in the cinema on halloween night and I was amazed at how much better Alien had aged compared to Aliens.

Maybe one of the reasons that all alien games until Isolation failed is that they aimed for an actiony Aliens feel, whereas this is the first one that aimed for the Alien feel.

Also I agree, they knocked this game out of the park aesthetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭finno

Went to xtra vision/HMV today to buy this game and they say they are not stocking it. Anyone know why? a bit odd:confused:

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

Despite having been stuck on the Morley section (mostly due to fear) I managed to pass it and progress a few missions further. I've died loads. But it's been great.

Things I've learned.

Game is best played with headphones or a powerful stereo system that you can distinguish left from right. (Becomes crucial when the alien is about.)

Alien is random. I had some missions where she just stayed in the vents and when is reply due to dying she'd pop out at random

She is on to you. I was well hidden in an underground vent at one section. Was well hidden before she arrived and didn't use motion tracker. She came in after about 5 minutes and killed me even though I was still.

The trick is really to keep moving. I'm playing on normal and there's times I've gotten away with hiding behind boxes or under beds and as long as she has no direct line of sight and you quiet then you should be ok.

If you stay in same area she will linger around no matter how big the map is. So you're better off taking a chance and moving to next room

Craft items regularly. You can 'commit' an ingredient to a slot even if you don't have all the ingredients ready which frees up an inventory slot. Don't be afraid to use the items too when necessary.

Best way to kill an android if you are stuck in a bind is to use a stun stick then melee the crap out of it while it's stunned.

Save, save, save. Even if the alien is very close, save. (Because if you die the alien is reset when you reload).
    Be warned about Save points though. It's either a feast or a famine. You can only save at a save point once unless you save somewhere else in the interim.

Majority of humans are not friendly. If you see one standing or with a gun it's not friendly. Enjoy them being fodder for the alien though. Make noise and she'll be along soon enough.

Enjoy the death scenes. You'll encounter them a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭klose

marko93 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity are you playing on Hard?

As for guns, so far I've found the pistol to be bloody useless :o Really enjoying the game though.

Initially had it on hard but dropped it down to normal, androids were always kicking my ass :o

Looks like the alien has caught onto me always using the lockers, into the vents i go! :(

klose wrote: »
    Initially had it on hard but dropped it down to normal, androids were always kicking my ass :o

Looks like the alien has caught onto me always using the lockers, into the vents i go! :(

Same, I dropped to Normal so I could finish the game a bit faster. I don't regret the decision and hopefully can play again on Hard when I've a lot more time on my hands.

I seen the other day here about the microphone, forgetting about it I went on to play while chatting to friends, took me at least 10 deaths to realise why it was finding my instantly. Very clever way to add to immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

finno wrote: »
    Went to xtra vision/HMV today to buy this game and they say they are not stocking it. Anyone know why? a bit odd:confused:

Because they are on life support and will only stock games that are sure to sell very well. This game was a surprise hit after the last Alien game disaster. It's a management issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I am torn about getting the season pass I would love more time with the alien

but dunno if surivivor mode is any use I mean once you beat the short challanges thats in survivor mode is theres anything else there in that DLC
    at 25 its a bit steep aswell ill have to try out that demo level that came with the gameonly had a short go of it

Has anyone here got the new DLC??????

2 videos on this page of me playing through the dlc, including a full run through all 3 maps in the gauntlet mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    2 videos on this page of me playing through the dlc, including a full run through all 3 maps in the gauntlet mode.

just had a quick look there dont wanna spoiil incase I do cave:D

i rarely look at game footage now I was so suprised when I got a flametrower I was like "HOLY SH"T:D" LOL

Advertisement