Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Bryan Singer)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

FunLover18 wrote: »
    http://www.thebentbullet.com/#!/magneto-trial

Raises more questions than it answers
    Doesn't everything in this (very enjoyable) movie. I think it's best not to even consider "timelines" anymore with this franchise. Just treat them all as an entirely new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Thargor wrote: »
    He said he was being attacked when it happened I think, pretty weak alright though and a bit cringey when he said he was "one of us", they should have just had him locked up for trying to steal a nuke or something.

How many times has an xmen plot involved breaking magneto out of an elaborate prison?

How many times has an xmen plot involved breaking magneto out of an elaborate prison?
    And how the hell do they catch him again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Hi guys, new user here...
    I watched this film only recently and it blew me away it was so good...
    The quality of the acting... the quality script... Wolverine actually looking like wolverine (only taller)... Jennifer Lawrence looking every bit the box office draw she is in blue paint and lycra....

couple of holes, I agree, but I will await the extended version before I knock off a couple of percent.... and it is a comic with mutants that have to be given a certain leeway...

anyway... can´t wait for the next additions to the x-men film universe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    And how the hell do they catch him again?

Plastic bullets?

• Advertisement

couple of holes, I agree, but I will await the extended version before I knock off a couple of percent.... and it is a comic with mutants that have to be given a certain leeway...
    The plot holes didn't take away from my enjoyment of this particular film. I guess it's more of a "philosophical" problem I have once a show enters the multiverse scenario. Sure, in one particular universe Wolverine and Xavier are in their latest deep sh1t exciting whatever, but there must be a million parallel universes where they're on Malibu beach kicking back with Mai Tais and babes.
    It's just a dramatic tension thing I think is lost when they do this.

Plastic bullets?
    Yeah I guess so. They have those in 1973 it seems anyway. He's just so awesomely powerful I can't wrap my head around how they'd ever catch him, unless some other (equally powerful) X Men are helping the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Yeah I guess so. They have those in 1973 it seems anyway. He's just so awesomely powerful I can't wrap my head around how they'd ever catch him, unless some other (equally powerful) X Men are helping the government.

I know, even if they use non metal weaponry against him, he can control any metal in the environment so you'd imagine he could conjure it up into shields, swords, frisbees, bullets or anything else that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

tunguska wrote: »
    Like I said, decent enough but just not as good as the previous movie.

I'd agree with that ,overall as a film it was only average.

The plot was too basic ,full of inconsistencies with the other X Men films and even the comics.
    Could Charles not just have made Trask forget about the mutants completely and that would have been the end of the sentinel programme instead of all this assassination plot

Simon Kinberg is the main writer ,I'm not really sure how that guy is getting work ,his back catalogue of films is pretty lousy ,Jumper,Mr and Mrs Smith,This Means War,XXX State of the Union.
    All very generic dumb films .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone else think in the scene we see the twins with their mother looking at the live tv footage of Magneto, Wanda looks a lot younger than Pietro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think they said that it isn't actually Wanda. There's a deleted scene that says who she is (I read that ages ago, but can't remember who they said it was. Possibly Polaris?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The plot was too basic ,full of inconsistencies with the other X Men films and even the comics.

The time travelling plot involving transferring Wolverine's mind to his younger self so he can enlist the help of a junkie Charles Xavier and imprisoned Magneto to prevent an assassination on the guy who starts the sentinel program while simultaneously fighting off an attack by the future sentinels is too basic? Comic book movies don't usually have overly intricate plots and often resort to gimicks/powers to paper over cracks but DOFP is far from basic and beautifully intertwines the two timelines to great effect.

There are inconsistencies though within itself and with the other movies. A lot of those inconsistencies existed already though from the previous movies. DOFP did a pretty good job of staying as consistent as possible to the previous movies while also wiping the slate clean for future movies.
    Could Charles not just have made Trask forget about the mutants completely and that would have been the end of the sentinel programme instead of all this assassination plot
    This can easily be put down to Charles' well established morals about messing with people's heads. He doesn't go for the quick fix solutions with his powers because he knows it's not a long term solution.

Bacchus wrote: »
    This can easily be put down to Charles' well established morals about messing with people's heads. He doesn't go for the quick fix solutions with his powers because he knows it's not a long term solution.
    Wouldn't it have been even easier to send Magneto back to his younger body? Job done?
    I've probably missed something obvious here... :-)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wouldn't it have been even easier to send Magneto back to his younger body? Job done?

Yup, Wolverine's healing factor is the reason he's the only one who be sent back so far I think. I'm nearly sure that it's explained near the start.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yup, Wolverine's healing factor is the reason he's the only one who be sent back so far I think. I'm nearly sure that it's explained near the start.
    Sounds familiar. Not sure if I'll be watching again to confirm though.
    If I was Magneto I'd almost settle for the one way ticket. Wasn't that the outcome if your "now" body died while your mind is in the past?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sounds familiar. Not sure if I'll be watching again to confirm though.
    If I was Magneto I'd almost settle for the one way ticket. Wasn't that the outcome if your "now" body died while your mind is in the past?

Yeah I think so, but I don't think Kitty could have sent Magneto back that far. It wasn't the one way ticket that was the issue it was the stress it put on the body. Magneto would have been dead before reaching the 1970s at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It wasnt feasible for one thing due to the stress on the body but Magneto was also imprisoned so he wouldnt have been of much use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

It wasnt feasible for one thing due to the stress on the body but Magneto was also imprisoned so he wouldnt have been of much use

Heres another connundrum. How did he get out the prision, if Wolverine had never gone back in time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Xavier wanted to go back but Kitty said even a mind as powerful of his couldn't handle the stress. Wolverine volunteered because his mind would heal. Magneto couldn't have gone anyway because he was in prison. How or when he got out in his original timeline is irrelevant.

Heres another connundrum. How did he get out the prision, if Wolverine had never gone back in time?

Ah time travel paradox's. It's best not to think about them too hard. Since we can assume though that the DoFP time travel logic means Wolverine didn't "always go back and break out Magneto".... we can only presume someone else breaks him out. We'll probably never find out who since that timeline is done with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

He got out on good behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Found this very enjoyable after watching it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Is the extended version on the dvd or are we waiting for a separate release?

The extended version is coming out mid 2015. It's only got about 10 minutes of footage in it, though.

humanji wrote: »
    The extended version is coming out mid 2015. It's only got about 10 minutes of footage in it, though.

Stupid to have such a huge wait, could they not have done a simultaneous release (or even keep it down to a 1 month gap). I've already watched it in the original version release, I'm not going getting it again in 6 months to watch an extra 10 minutes of a movie I've seen twice in the previous 12 months.

Yeah, unless their's a whole heap of additional content being released with it, it's a bit sh*tty to just not have the one version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I'm surprised they're even releasing an extended edition; really wouldn't have thought there'd be a demand for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

I usually like superhero movies, but these X-Men ones I can't abide.

How they make the money and subsequent sequels escapes me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

humanji wrote: »

I'm presuming the 10 minutes cut will involve
    the previously reported scenes featuring a jailbreak of Rogue from one of the future prisons. All of the sub-plot involving her was cut, Anna Paquins character completely disappearing from the cinematic release (although you can see her in one of the early trailers)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

he didnt get out of prison, thats why the sentinels ended up destroying everything, wolverine was sent back to erase the future where he was sent back in the first place,

so the actual question is, if the future has been altered and the sentinels didnt destroy everything, who went back to free magneto to stop the sentinels destroying everything :D:D

Advertisement