Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

It looked like a shoulder problem to me. Landed awkwardly on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

ya think he had an ice pack on his shoulder

I stand corrected. i did see him take a tip but i couldnt recall the awkward fall.

Clare gave Kerry a hammering as expected in the minor playoff tonight so we now play Clare in Ennis next Wednesday night to see who will earn the right to play Waterford in the Munster Semi on June 25/26th. If we beat Clare, the semi will be in Thurles.

The minors are young enough this year from what i hear and we may have to put this year down to experience.

Our u21s have a tough tie in either Limerick or Ennis on July 16th in the Munster Semi final. Win that and we play Cork or the Decie in the Munster final on July 30th. If it is Cork we will play them in either Pairc ui Rinn or even Limerick perhaps due to the impending construction work on PUC. If its Waterford we face a trip to Fraher Field or Walsh Park. Id expect our u21s to have a good rattle at it this year as we will have a good bulk of the minor team who won in 2012 along with the likes of Liam Mcgrath, possibly John Meagher, Jason Forde and Seamus Kennedy and of course Colm O'Riordan if he can (hopefully) resist the lure of the AFL

Hope Jason Forde - can turn it around form wise - He look a lot thinner than last year for some reason...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Anybody think Pa Bourke can get his way back in? He gives us another option and I think EOS has been too harsh on him this year.

Hopefully Jason Forde can get back in the team too. He's not a corner forward yet has played most of his games there. He needs to get the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

glued wrote: »
    Anybody think Pa Bourke can get his way back in? He gives us another option and I think EOS has been too harsh on him this year.

Hopefully Jason Forde can get back in the team too. He's not a corner forward yet has played most of his games there. He needs to get the experience.

Pa was asked back into the panel a few weeks back and declined, I agree with you though he should never have been off the panel, he is certainly a better option that at least 4 of the forwards on the panel.

Lads this thing about Kelly in the goals is redicilous talk, he was never a goalkeeper, he played one game for Tipp minors in the goal as a 15 year old and was then moved to the forwards, and when he was introduced to the Tipp seniors he was named as the sub goalie but there was never any intention of him playing in the goals it was to ease him into the panel without creating a huge fanfare and adding pressure.

Anybody have any update on Curran either? Would of really like to have seen Breen get a couple of games in at FB just for experience.

Anybody have any update on Curran either? Would of really like to have seen Breen get a couple of games in at FB just for experience.

Breen was injured to be fair to him so we were forced to try other options and unless we take a massive gamble its probably a bit too late in the year to throw Breen in at the deep end. Havent heard much on Curran tbh. Not sure he has the pace for it anymore in fairness. Good reader of the game but in order to compete with the top class forwards with pace in abundance these days i think he might fall well short.

Breen was injured to be fair to him so we were forced to try other options and unless we take a massive gamble its probably a bit too late in the year to throw Breen in at the deep end. Havent heard much on Curran tbh. Not sure he has the pace for it anymore in fairness. Good reader of the game but in order to compete with the top class forwards with pace in abundance these days i think he might fall well short.

Thought he was badly exposed last year against Limerick. Top player though and somebody who could come back in give 4-5 more games to this panel.

• Advertisement

Thought he was badly exposed last year against Limerick. Top player though and somebody who could come back in give 4-5 more games to this panel.

Id know the lad well. He is a determined character and would be a fairly good team leader. Perhaps not as vociferous as Kelly but would definately guide and encourage younger players and set examples. From that point of view i see the sense in keeping him on the squad. Next season on though its up to the likes of Paudie, Noel and Callanan to start stepping up to the plate. Brendan and Mickey Cahill have already done so but its high time the others follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I think most people realise Curran doesn't have the pace for the modern game. Look at the forwards teams like Clare, Kilkenny and Galway have. They're far quicker than the forwards of just 10 years ago and great players like Curran suffer as a result.
    He has a great head for hurling but fitness-wise the game has, unfortunately, passed him by..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

I'm glad to hear that Pa was offered the chance as he was kind of shafted and a bit of a fall guy. Who do people think will be the likely midfield starters come Championship? The Woodlock / Bergin combination works well I think and both are hard working. Bergin has been a great addition to the team even though his scoring rate might not be that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Comordha wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear that Pa was offered the chance as he was kind of shafted and a bit of a fall guy. Who do people think will be the likely midfield starters come Championship? The Woodlock / Bergin combination works well I think and both are hard working. Bergin has been a great addition to the team even though his scoring rate might not be that high.

Never rule anything out with O'Shea but the two in possesion look to be nailed on. Shane McGrath doesnt have the legs for midfield anymore, Seamus Kennedy was flying but has missed alot of hurling and was unlucky to get injured when he did, moving Noel McGrath there full time would be a risk as he can be very in and out of a game and at midfield that would be badly exposed and put alot of pressure on his partner. Brendan Maher is a half back plain and simple and should be left there.

After that I think the only other possibility (and very viable one) would be Gar Ryan, who has both the hurling and the workrate so hopefully he is over his injury problems. personally I would bring him in wing forward in place of Denis Maher who I just feel lacks genuine pace for the top top level.

But even from the above and then you add Breen, Saint, Hamill, Bourke, Lar, Eoin, Curran etc. its great that we actually have options and I think EOS has done a marvellous job putting a competitive panel together, far from the finished article mind but certainly moving in the right direction and if they play with the same effort and application as they did last Sunday I'll be happy, if we are not good enough fair enough but as long as we get 100% effort thats all we can ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

Just while we are talking about defenders, anyone remember the two Ryans who played in defence for the Under 21s two years ago (played on the team that lost to a last minute goal to clare in ennis). Think they are from Clonakenny? Seemed very solid hurlers to me, haven't heard anything about them since.

Never rule anything out with O'Shea but the two in possesion look to be nailed on. Shane McGrath doesnt have the legs for midfield anymore, Seamus Kennedy was flying but has missed alot of hurling and was unlucky to get injured when he did, moving Noel McGrath there full time would be a risk as he can be very in and out of a game and at midfield that would be badly exposed and put alot of pressure on his partner. Brendan Maher is a half back plain and simple and should be left there.

After that I think the only other possibility (and very viable one) would be Gar Ryan, who has both the hurling and the workrate so hopefully he is over his injury problems. personally I would bring him in wing forward in place of Denis Maher who I just feel lacks genuine pace for the top top level.

But even from the above and then you add Breen, Saint, Hamill, Bourke, Lar, Eoin, Curran etc. its great that we actually have options and I think EOS has done a marvellous job putting a competitive panel together, far from the finished article mind but certainly moving in the right direction and if they play with the same effort and application as they did last Sunday I'll be happy, if we are not good enough fair enough but as long as we get 100% effort thats all we can ask for.

yeah i like hamill but he definitely needs to bulk up if he did could be a great addition in a couple of years

Ompala wrote: »
    Just while we are talking about defenders, anyone remember the two Ryans who played in defence for the Under 21s two years ago (played on the team that lost to a last minute goal to clare in ennis). Think they are from Clonakenny? Seemed very solid hurlers to me, haven't heard anything about them since.

Pa and Willie were Intermediate last year IIRC. Both were very good u21's that should definitely at least be given a try next year. It wont do any harm. Jack Shelley returned for Mullinahone recently and got motm against Ballingarry. Id like to see how he'll fare at u21 this year. Hopefully both his fellow clubman and former minor selector Noel Morris might make a case to TJ to have a look at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

Pa and Willie were Intermediate last year IIRC. Both were very good u21's that should definitely at least be given a try next year. It wont do any harm. Jack Shelley returned for Mullinahone recently and got motm against Ballingarry. Id like to see how he'll fare at u21 this year. Hopefully both his fellow clubman and former minor selector Noel Morris might make a case to TJ to have a look at him.

I remember Shelley playing minor in 2012, fine hurler to win the ball and well able to take his scores. He was injured then afterwards and hasn't looked the same player since, good to hear he is discovering some of his old form. After losing for the last 2 years I really want to see the Under 21s win Munster this year.

Can anybody outline to me specific examples in championship where Paul Curran's pace has let down Tipperary or who he has been roasted by?

Can anybody outline to me specific examples in championship where Paul Curran's pace has let down Tipperary or who he has been roasted by?

In 2012 on that awful day in Croke park his legs just seemed to give up for one of the goals. He never was really about pace to begin with and the game today is all about pace.

Nowadays you have rockets in the forwards for Kilkenny, Cork, and Clare to name a few. If you have one on one situations you want to be assured that your man can at least match the opposer for pace.

• Advertisement

I can't agree with this business about Curran's pace. It's something that seems to get said about every player once their over thirty. Curran we need - he has never let us down - very tough and intelligent. One of the goals in 2012!!! That's it!!! The only people who let us down in 2012 we're the forwards and the continual pressure of ball after ball being driven on top of the Tipp backs...

If anything this league has shown the value of Curran...

I agree with this business about Curran's pace. It's something that seems to get said about every player once their over thirty. Curran we need - he has never let us down - very tough and intelligent. One of the goals in 2012!!! That's it!!! The only people who let us down in 2012 we're the forwards and the continual pressure of ball after ball being driven on top of the Tipp backs...

I accept your counter argument and look your correct in that we havent settled on a fullback and also that our backs were getting hammered due to our forwards winning nothing. This year O'Mahony looks the best option and he has been more or less shoehorned into that position and yes Curran has been a brilliant servant tbf to him. Arguably one of the finest fullbacks of the modern era.

But Id be very concerned for Curran up against the likes of Colin Fennelly or Conor Mcgrath tbh. I feel 2011 was probably the last year Curran was at his best for us. His pace just seems to have declined since and as i said he was never the paciest of hurlers to begin with. Now that could be due to other things like needing rest.

I just think the game is passing himself, John O'Brien and Eoin Kelly by at this stage and perhaps they need to be brutally honest with themselves in terms of the remainder of this year and definitely for 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I agree with this business about Curran's pace. It's something that seems to get said about every player once their over thirty. Curran we need - he has never let us down - very tough and intelligent. One of the goals in 2012!!! That's it!!! The only people who let us down in 2012 we're the forwards and the continual pressure of ball after ball being driven on top of the Tipp backs...

Well said.

I think anyone would struggle on Fennelly or McGrath when their on form - they have blistering pace. I'd agree with you regarding Kelly and O'Brien - but I would not put Curran on a similar curve regarding detriment of performance. I think Curran's performances since 2010 has been at a higher and more consistent level. O'brien has had some high points but defenders' work does not get highlighted with scores and killer passes - but Curran is arguably one of our most consistent performers. I realize the need to build alternatives to Curran - and right across the team - both for improvement of the team and competition. However, I would be of the opinion that Curran has still a lot to give this year if he can get back to fitness. He has a mental fortitude, leadership, and toughness that we need - I would feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Curran does lack pace but at the same time he has never really let us down.

Remains to be seen how he is since the operation. Hip injuries and operations have been known to end careers. Curran, in his 30s may well struggle to get back to his best.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

With Barry's emergence at half back (#5) what does this mean for Shane McGrath? I think midfield is full with Bergin and Woodlock and the lack of McGrath's playing time there could be a factor. Resigned to the sub bench maybe?

With Barry's emergence at half back (#5) what does this mean for Shane McGrath? I think midfield is full with Bergin and Woodlock and the lack of McGrath's playing time there could be a factor. Resigned to the sub bench maybe?

ya it would seem that way pity really because he was showing great form this year but at least we have options in the backline with curran and conor o brien and saint.cahill com barrett maher maher and barry with gleeson in goals,not a bad looking defence:)

From http://tipperary.gaa.ie/allianz-football-league-division-4-final-tipperary-v-clare/
    The Tipperary team to play Clare in Saturday’s Allianz Football League Division 4 Final at Croke Park shows 6 changes from the side which lost to Wicklow in their last League game. Under 21 players Steven O’Brien, Ian Fahey and Michael Quinlvan return to the team along with veterans Paul Fitzgerald, Andrew Morrissey and George Hannigan with Matthew O’Donnell, Ciaran McDonald, Aldo Matassa, Lorcan Egan, Alan Campbell and Conal McCullagh dropping to the bench.

Tipperary (SF v Clare) – Paul Fitzgerald (Fethard); John Coghlan (Moyne Templetuohy), Paddy Codd (Killenaule – Captain), Andrew Morrissey (Galtee Rovers); Robbie Kiely (Arravale Rovers), Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers), Donagh Leahy (Arravale Rovers); Steven O’Brien (Ballina), George Hannigan (Shannon Rovers); Philip Austin (Borrisokane), Ian Fahey (Clonmel Commercials), Brian Fox (Eire Óg Annacarty); Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen), Michael Quinlivan (Clonmel Commercials), Barry Grogan (Aherlow)

Best of luck to the Tipp footballers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Shane Mc Grath was having a decent league until being left out of the team last Sunday,he's unfortunate but he's a versatile player so could get a few chances if injuries occur to other lads.

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    Shane Mc Grath was having a decent league until being left out of the team last Sunday,he's unfortunate but he's a versatile player so could get a few chances if injuries occur to other lads.

20 man game now and we can safely assume that Shane is definately part of that 20

Advertisement