Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equality of marriage and love

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,291 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yawn

Even low-hanging fruit can taste good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Why do people follow and read this forum if they claim to find it so boring?
    The world is peppered with a fair number of people who take out time from their busy schedules to find offense, even in the most innocuous of things, so that they can then clamber upon the nearest high moral horse - head tossed back, mane flowing majestically in the wind, front hooves clawing wildly at the sky - the better that they might pontificate, hector, bluster or simply neigh-say in the general direction of the rest of us.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Meanwhile, a well-known christian preacher and head of an international charity brands gay men and women as "The Enemy" in apocalyptic terms:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/01/25/christian-charity-head-declares-gay-people-are-the-enemy/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

robindch wrote: »
    Meanwhile, a well-known christian preacher and head of an international charity brands gay men and women as "The Enemy" in apocalyptic terms:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/01/25/christian-charity-head-declares-gay-people-are-the-enemy/

So nice to see the Russians and the Americans working together :(

Always thought their extremists were like two peas from the same pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

He features in the latest Cognitive Dissonance podcast. Worth a listen if you don't already.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Links234 wrote: »

It is of course very sad, but I find it a story of great bravery and hope in Sanjida's case. Dreadful for Puja though :( Hope the poor girl can get a divorce ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

And don't forget that all the people who voted no were not all straight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Shrap wrote: »
    It is of course very sad, but I find it a story of great bravery and hope in Sanjida's case. Dreadful for Puja though :( Hope the poor girl can get a divorce ASAP.
    Sanjida was already divorced before they met. No big deal over there, it seems.
    ..tell me, what can two women do in bed?" asked her first cousin, a young hafez who has memorised the Koran.
    At this moment, the young hafiz suddenly realised that his many years of education had been somewhat "one dimensional".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

high moral horse ... neigh-say

I see what you did there.

recedite wrote: »
    At this moment, the young hafiz suddenly realised that his many years of education had been somewhat "one dimensional".

The internet can help him.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Catholic Church reminded who is in charge in Italy when they try to meddle in civil matters.
    "Parliament decides whether or not to allow secret votes ... not the head of the bishops' conference," Renzi said during an interview with RAI state radio.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-italy-gaymarriage-idUSKCN0VL0Z0

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They've not gone away you know....

http://www.thejournal.ie/mary-fitzgibbon-kerry-surrogacy-photo-2622718-Feb2016/
    These two dads aren’t happy about a Kerry candidate using their family photo online
    Kerry general election candidate Mary Fitzgibbon, a nursing lecturer at IT Tralee, has posted the photo on social media multiple times over the past year.

During the marriage referendum campaign, she tweeted it with the caption: ”A motherless child is the prize – the buying of children.”

She shared it in another Twitter update with the message: “We must reaffirm the right of a child to grow up and be loved where possible by their own mother and father.”
    referred us to a statement from the Mothers and Fathers Matter group in Kerry that calls surrogacy “a loss that is planned in advance of its creation, imposed at birth, and which the child will have to endure for the rest of its life”.

“The press release echoes my sentiments,” she said, adding that many European countries have banned the practice.

For somebody that seems relatively young she seems so hate filled, its also deeply worrying that she is involved in anyway in education.

Its clear as day which side of history she wants to stand on, the Vatican and what it stands for:
    In 2011 the government closed Ireland’s Embassy to the Holy See. A lay initiative Ireland Stand Up was formed to reopen the Embassy and to stand up for Ireland’s Christian faith and heritage. I have been the Spokesperson lobbying on behalf of the group for the past four years. Ireland Stand Up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Cabaal wrote: »
    They've not gone away you know....

http://www.thejournal.ie/mary-fitzgibbon-kerry-surrogacy-photo-2622718-Feb2016/

For somebody that seems relatively young she seems so hate filled, its also deeply worrying that she is involved in anyway in education.

Its clear as day which side of history she wants to stand on, the Vatican and what it stands for:

At least she stands up for equality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

"Equality of life"? Yeah, I'm sure that's comforting when you're pregnant as a result of rape, if the foetus you're carrying has no chance of surviving any more than a few suffocating minutes outside the womb or when the pregnancy threatens you with chronic health problems. It's a term is brain-dead as the anencephalic foetuses the Legatus Lackeys want women to carry until its birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

At least she stands up for equality of life.

What exactly is equality of life?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭volchitsa

lazygal wrote: »
    What exactly is equality of life?

In Ireland it mostly appears to mean stuff like removing teaching assistants from children with Down's, presumably because they're all equal anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

State Legislation Targets Trans Community Like Never Before

Republican National Committee Endorses Anti-Trans ‘Bathroom Bills’

Things just seem to be going from bad to worse for trans people in the US, and it is shocking.

Republican National Committee Endorses Anti-Trans ‘Bathroom Bills’

Things just seem to be going from bad to worse for trans people in the US, and it is shocking.

Link to the report by the Human Rights Campaign that the Daily Beast article references - http://hrc-assets.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com//files/assets/resources/HRC-Anti-Trans-Issue-Brief-FINAL-REV2.pdf

It's only 6 pages long, not terribly difficult to get through so definitely worth a read before the summary on Daily Beast imo.

But some of the bills are so unusual that it’s hard to imagine what sort of rhetoric could possibly mask the bigoted animus behind them.HB 2215 in Oklahoma would require anyone applying for a marriage license to report if they have undergone sex reassignment surgery (SRS). If so, the printed marriage licenses “shall state which party has undergone the surgery.” The bill serves no purpose beyond leaving a permanent record of someone’s surgical transition on a court document.
    Perhaps the purpose is to prevent certain gullible members of society from only finding out about the gender of their bride/bridegroom on the wedding night?
    I know a person who only found out their partner had dentures on the wedding night, when the teeth were popped out and dropped into a glass of water :pac:

The gender (as distinct from their assigned-at-birth sex) of the bride(groom) post-transition would be pretty obvious, and I very much doubt the average transgender person wouldn't have disclosed the fact that they've gone through gender reassignment therapy to their prospective partner.

All in all, it just seems to be another case of conservatives moving the focus of their attacks away from homo/bisexuals to transgender people.

• Advertisement

I very much doubt the average transgender person wouldn't have disclosed the fact that they've gone through gender reassignment therapy to their prospective partner.
    If such a person exists, then that law would not really affect them, but it would be no real problem for them either.
    Just like when the average person goes through an airport, and they have to declare there is nothing illicit in their luggage. But then if everyone was average, there would be no need for any laws at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Seems very "big government" which they wouldnt be fond of if it didnt affect a group they dont like.

Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull has caved to pressure from the right of the ruling Liberal Party and has launched an investigation into the "Safe Schools" programme, which provides support to LGBT students and combats homo- & transphobic bullying.

That Cory Bernardi arsehole's rhetoric reminds me of a certain someone on Boards who got butthurt about anti-homo- & transphobic bullying programmes. :rolleyes:

Aussie politics is nuts. It's one of the few things that'd really put me off living there.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Aussie politics is nuts. It's one of the few things that'd really put me off living there.

The in your face racism sent me running out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    The in your face racism sent me running out of there.
    Trust me, the in your face sexism is even worse! But the weather is awesome :D

Right. So apart from the nutty politics, rampant racism, endemic sexism, big spiders and skin cancer, what have the Australians ever done for us?

Absolam wrote: »
    Trust me, the in your face sexism is even worse! But the weather is awesome :D

I grew up in Ireland in the 1970s when in your face sexism was compulsory so that's bat p*ss off a dykes back to me (this also happened to me at an outdoor screening of Clockwork Orange in Sydney).

The racism I found gobsmackingly appalling - one instance that stands out in particular was the electrician from Dublin who summoned me across the lobby at work to offer unsolicated advice not to talk to the bleedin (insert every derogatory term you can think of here) 'Abos' as it would give Irish people a bad name. This after I had stopped to chat to a woman doing an excellent job of a frankly crap task. My response is unprintable... suffice to say said electrician unwittingly dispensed his unasked for advice to the person who could, and did, decide his contract would not be renewed.

By my third day Downunder I had learned that the phrase 'I'm not a racist but...' preceded an anti-Asian statement that required a glossary of Vietnam film terminology to be fully appreciated in all it's 'glory' .
    When it came to Native Australians there was no warning - just BAM! Out with it sans shame.

A very talented young Tongan rugby player who went to school with my son was shot and killed by police while running through Redfern in Sydney - he was late for training for the under 21 Wallabies - the officer's 'apology' contained the words ' but I thought he was an Abo'. Big, brown, 19 year old wearing a Wallaby tracksuit and carrying a kit bag running quickly through a suburb with a large native population was deemed to be 'dodgy' enough for police officers to order him to stop or they would shoot. Whether he didn't hear them or didn't realise they were shouting at him we will never know as Manassa died in the street some 200 metres from the training ground being used by the Under 21's.

No weather was good enough to keep me there... anyhoo it turns out I hate humidity and my 'natural' heat comfort zone is about 21 degrees c.

Right. So apart from the nutty politics, rampant racism, endemic sexism, big spiders and skin cancer, what have the Australians ever done for us?

Invented the rotary clothes line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I grew up in Ireland in the 1970s when in your face sexism was compulsory so that's bat p*ss off a dykes back to me <...>
    No weather was good enough to keep me there... anyhoo it turns out I hate humidity and my 'natural' heat comfort zone is about 21 degrees c.
    I consider the fact that most people I work with in Aus these days call me 'Irish' a step up from the fact that most people I worked with in England in the 80s called me 'Paddy'. I'll admit I prefer the fact that most people I work with in the US call me 'sir' though... even if it may be due to my advancing age :D
    Still, I see as much sexism as racism in Aus, if not more. The preferred defense of 'we're not ***ist, we're just plain speakers' is what regularly surprises me though.
    The humidity and the hailstones can be disconcerting, I agree, but the year round sea swimming and cycling more than make up for it!

Advertisement