Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

jenyarns wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm hoping someone can make sense of my issue as i'm not 100% on all the tech side of things. (sorry if I should have made a new thread)
    I have been on to Eircom many times trying to get efibre, my neighbor has it, so no problem i thought.
    They are telling me I am on a different exchange. neighbor (and everyone in my estate) is on navan drogheda and i am on navan mullingar. I'm told this exchange is not up and running as of yet and can't find out or make sense of info on when it should be..
    There is 3 cabinets in my immediate area, closest being max 30 metres from my house. All are live. Not able to post links as of yet.
    Am i not too far from Mullingar to get any kind of decent speeds?
    I was told if I paid €120 for new connection, that they could request the navan-drogheda exchange. Then when I called back and spoke to a different person was told, after speaking with her superior, I didnt have to pay the 120 and they could set me up.. only to be put on hold again and then told I couldn't! Not even half of what i've been through with them over the past week.
    Seriously fed up with it all now. If i believed a word they said I would hold out and when exchange up and running, sign up with Vodafone or something.. but I can't help feeling i'm getting the run around.
    Anyway, if someone could have a look at the maps and give me an opinion i'd be grateful!

Thanks in advance.

You need to talk to an Eircom rep, post in the talk to Eircom forum. Anything suggested here would be just speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jenyarns

You need to talk to an Eircom rep, post in the talk to Eircom forum. Anything suggested here would be just speculation

Thanks, I have already done this, pm'd all details last week but nothing back. Even their tech support couldn't explain anything to me and said to keep an eye out for their vans around my area and ask them. This isn't helpful as I am out of house from 8am-7pm!
    At least speculation will give me more questions to ask on my numerous 1901 calls!
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mSe265

Does anyone know if fibre is actually available in Kilmeage Co. Kildare? The eircom map says the cabinet is live, but does availability depend on the particular house? Can you go with a different provider like Vodafone? We're thinking of moving to the area

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

fibrerollout.ie map now updated. Dates available for all exchanges and updated timescales for exchanges where installation has commenced

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

marno21 wrote: »
    fibrerollout.ie map now updated. Dates available for all exchanges and updated timescales for exchanges where installation has commenced

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

I cant see any updates. Looks the same as ever ?? No info on dates etc.

Edit - Needed to zoom out a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

ED E wrote: »
    Suspect thats an RSU. An E10 is a PSTN services AXE. Basically a small exchange.

There may or may not by DSL gear in there.

But it says "E10" on the actual cabinet!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Finally the cabinet beside my building has gone live! I ordered the fibre upgrade yesterday on the vodafone site. Does anyone know how long it takes for them usually to arrange an appointment or should I just ring them? As long as I know in advance I can work around it, but I'd prefer to not be waiting infinitely for them to contact me first.

I generally prefer to avoid ringing these companies unless I have to, but if it is much better to do so I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

chewed wrote: »
    But it says "E10" on the actual cabinet!

Its just a single rack unit slotted into a standalone cab vs an indoor floor to ceiling rack. It probably shipped from alcatel in a ready to go format like that.

http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/products/1000-multiservice-multimedia-mm-e10-csn-cne
    BENEFITS

Effective multiservice controller
    Enables smooth and cost effective NGN migration with access gateway implementation (IP-CSN)
    Roll-out flexibility allowing for fast return (in particular: efficient and effective reach of isolated ADSL subscribers)
    Cost efficiency, in particular for the extreme compactness of small configurations

Its just a single rack unit slotted into a standalone cab vs an indoor floor to ceiling rack. It probably shipped from alcatel in a ready to go format like that.

http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/products/1000-multiservice-multimedia-mm-e10-csn-cne

Thanks for the info. So, in layman's terms, does this have anything to do with Broadband rollout? I've been told recently that my area is not currently on the list for efibre rollout!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I've been told recently that my area is not currently on the list for efibre rollout!

Try look up your area here - http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ (stolen from a post above) - I found my area with a cabinet which work has started on, so a least now I know it is fibre that is going into it. Mind you, no dates available for the particular one I was interested in. Worth a look anyhow.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. So, in layman's terms, does this have anything to do with Broadband rollout? I've been told recently that my area is not currently on the list for efibre rollout!

If thats recent then it probably isnt on the NGA(fibre) list yet as theyve just given you NGN.

That RSU should provide ADSL to any lines connected to it. Up to 24Mbps.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Try look up your area here - http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ (stolen from a post above) - I found my area with a cabinet which work has started on, so a least now I know it is fibre that is going into it. Mind you, no dates available for the particular one I was interested in. Worth a look anyhow.

That website seems to be down! But, I've been told by an Eircom rep that we're not on any future plan and to check back in July. At least I know, after I've spent over 4 years trying to get some answers from Eircom, UPC, Sky, local TDs and Councillors......all giving me bullsh1t answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

HI all, I found out recently that fibre has (finally!) been enabled in my estate, and a friend across the road actually has it, although he's an eircom customer and I'm not. When I check with both eircom and vodafone, it says I'm not fibre enabled. So what's the procedure from here, do I have to keep scratching myself until one or other decides I can actually have it? There has been no formal announcement/sales push yet.

blastman wrote: »
    HI all, I found out recently that fibre has (finally!) been enabled in my estate, and a friend across the road actually has it, although he's an eircom customer and I'm not. When I check with both eircom and vodafone, it says I'm not fibre enabled. So what's the procedure from here, do I have to keep scratching myself until one or other decides I can actually have it? There has been no formal announcement/sales push yet.

Are you checking with an active phoneline or just by address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Oh Boy are you in for a surprise dot dot dot dot.

By address and/or phone number. What do you mean by checking with an active phone line?

By address and/or phone number. What do you mean by checking with an active phone line?

If the number returns that chances are you're either

A. On a different cab that isnt done yet
    B. Direct fed.

Have a read back on this thread to see an explanation for these.

According to this, fibre is live at the cabinet at the entrance to the estate, I'm less than 200m from it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

According to this, fibre is live at the cabinet at the entrance to the estate, I'm less than 200m from it.....

That means nothing, where i live there are two units one 560m from me the other 700m odd and i am not terminated to either . The phone line checker is a good way to sniff out if your estate has split line runs, ie. some to cab and some direct to exchange. If you can get a couple of your neighbors phone numbers from the phone book or golden pages online or whatever start banging them in to the checker on the eircom website , if you see some are reporting as yes efiber enabled and some state your not in an efiber area or not yet enabled then you may or may not be direct fed. ITs a pretty good assumption to make though if you are showing up as not in an area and your neighbors are. All is not lost just yet as pending the availability they may be able to re route your line to local cab. In my case its not feasible as my line runs about 800- 900-m to my exchange along the main road . I know better than to ask for it in my case as it will not happen for me.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

New router from vodafone arrived in the post yesterday, engineer coming next Thursday. Hopefully I'll be able to get close to the max anyhow like the line checker says as the cab is only 10m from my apartment building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

Fibre live @ cabinet too far for me, gona be a looong wait i'am thinking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

W1ll1s wrote: »
    Fibre live @ cabinet too far for me, gona be a looong wait i'am thinking :(

It will probably never reach you until the Governments broadband project gets up and running. You can be sure Eircom are not interested in providing a fibre broadband service, as it would cost them too much?? I say this as my folks live less than 1km from a live cabinet and when they asked about fibre the response they got was not interested in supplying the area (from an Eircom sales rep). The same area has over 100 homes in it.

So if you're in one of the areas listed in the ESB project then think about going that route. If not see what FWA providers cover your area. As you say it might be a very loooooong wait if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

cunnijo wrote: »
    The same area has over 100 homes in it.
    -How many dwellings per km²?
    -How are the houses currently fed? All running via the same cabinet or more direct fed taking all sorts of different paths back to exchange?

It's basically pointless saying there are x houses in an area. That does not mean that Eircom can just drop in a cabinet and connect these 100 houses up (as they can generally with VDSL).

To be quite honest, Eircom are slotting in cabinets that would NEVER be installed by Deutsche Telekom here in Germany. I can't get over some of the isolated spots that will get VDSL in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

murphaph wrote: »
    -How many dwellings per km²?
    -How are the houses currently fed? All running via the same cabinet or more direct fed taking all sorts of different paths back to exchange?

It's basically pointless saying there are x houses in an area. That does not mean that Eircom can just drop in a cabinet and connect these 100 houses up (as they can generally with VDSL).

To be quite honest, Eircom are slotting in cabinets that would NEVER be installed by Deutsche Telekom here in Germany. I can't get over some of the isolated spots that will get VDSL in Ireland.

Hi murphaph

The total number of dwellings in the area I mentioned in my last posting is 107 and these are spread over ikm. So this would signify a reasonably densely populated area in comparison to smaller places being covered. As to where the lines are connected/routed to Eircom when asked were very cagey. However they have located 2 of their cabinets for the area literally on the side of a main road with no houses around them and seemly providing a short range of about 300m for each, nothing like the distances mentioned in other posts in this forum.

cunnijo wrote: »
    The total number of dwellings in the area I mentioned in my last posting is 107 and these are spread over ikm. So this would signify a reasonably densely populated area in comparison to smaller places being covered. As to where the lines are connected/routed to Eircom when asked were very cagey. However they have located 2 of their cabinets for the area literally on the side of a main road with no houses around them and seemly providing a short range of about 300m for each, nothing like the distances mentioned in other posts in this forum.

In that case its not the range of the cabinet, its just they only current "feed" premises close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This is more a general question of eircom's new connection process..

We are set to move into a new development (38 houses) in an e-fibre enabled area... when it comes to connecting this development to the network; do eircom as a rule go with the latest and greatest technology available for that area?

It so happens that I currently rent just up the road from the new development in a development finished in 2006 and despite being in an e-fibre area; that development is still only connected to the network over VDSL..

lawred2 wrote: »

It so happens that I currently rent just up the road from the new development in a development finished in 2006 and despite being in an e-fibre area; that development is still only connected to the network over VDSL..

Only VDSL? Are you expecting FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Only VDSL? Are you expecting FTTH?

lol

sorry I meant ADSL... my dl speeds max out at 4Mb/s with ul about 300Kb/s

VDSL is what I want to see

That makes more sense.

Premises that have had lines before may just be reconnected to the same drop point, with a new build I'd expect they'd probably have fed them from a cab if there was one near the entrance to the development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Had eircom at my door today trying to sell their package. He was saying the line was tested and can handle 80mb, I live on a housing estate the fibre as not been layed down in the estate only to the front and as it is I can just about get 17mb on my line and everything has been replaced inside. When I pointed out that I could only get 17mb he then started on about how vodaphone rents the lines from eircom and it was vodafones fault that I could not get the 25mb. Dont know about anyone else but that does not sound right..... ;) by the way I worked in IT for years and often had to call eircom when their bb went down in companies and it used to miraculously come back when on the phone to them.

Advertisement